/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards
>Great durability (excl L and E series)
>Utilitarian design
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Most models are easy to repair, upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model and spare parts are easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, easier to use when typing
>Good for Hackintoshing

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500
Models before *40 series can be Corebooted

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available for a good price, socketed CPU (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Chink Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, miniDP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: rms14.jpg (2272x1704, 647K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/LENOVO-T420-42366Y1-Intel-Core-i5-2-50GHz-4GB-Ram-Laptop-Integrated-Graphics/233314063252?hash=item36529a1394:g:LcgAAOSwGlJdVV9U
amazon.ca/DTK-Battery-ThinkPad-0A36282-Replacement/dp/B07HM8VR79/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=x230 battery&qid=1568722985&s=gateway&sprefix=X230 &sr=8-3
amazon.com/dp/B07L3D19MY/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First.

You mean lolis

please don't post this child molester

Forsaken Stallman edition.

HE IS CANCELLED

No. I was the first to post in this thread.

Is there a thinkpad that can run Pathfinder Kingmaker on medium with at least 50 fps ?

Does it worth getting a Thinkpad with a quad core processor over a dual core even though I'll be using it for general stuff? I'm looking for a T440p and seeing how it's a CPU from 2014, I was thinking about increasing its longevity with the raw power of more CPU cores.

ahem op that pic is problematic

Thiccpads can’t compete.

Attached: 9F3BF8DB-62B3-4EAC-9C03-EA1B646AE1BC.jpg (4032x3024, 2.65M)

If you're buying a t440p anyway don't buy a dual core one. Or just upgrade to quad core yourself

*blocks your path*

Attached: 1494275840179.jpg (2592x1936, 935K)

Where’s your extended battery user?

Attached: 02096F42-4A26-43BC-9558-CA4BD62B4C46.jpg (4032x3024, 1.93M)

I can't really find any decent T440p at where I live, they either have the lowest end CPU or the ones with 4700MQ have 1366x768 displays. I feel like I should get the cheapest, cleanest one I could get and put RAM/SSD/Screen/CPU myself.

Is it possible to get the keyboard on the right and install it on a T480?

left*

Probably not without some modification.

If it's something that takes more than 3 hours then it's not worth it for me

anyone?

Also, Anybody got Parabola OpenRC or Void running under libreboot?

Attached: kitty.jpg (246x205, 4K)

Why is my docking station not charging the laptop but video output and USB ports work?

Using one for my T420

How do you update the stock BIOS if you don't have Windows installed?

>anyone?
I mean you could build yourself a spot welder? I've been wanting to try it for long but just haven't gotten around to it

Thought of that.

My main concern is not bricking the battery, I could just get pre tabbed cells and solder to that if I /really/ want to avoid welding.

I believe lenovo also gives you a CD .iso
so you'll have to burn a CD

Getting an X250 which is running Windows 10 and I unfortunately need to keep a windows partition for work. How do I go about debloating all the useless shit out of it?

maybe you have a 65W charger?

not sure why it's happening with your T420 though, as increased wattages are really only required to charge the workstation series and the quadcore T520

see thing you don't want, right click > uninstall
advanced stuff, i know

there's also group policy edits if it's professional or enterprise version of windows
Windows Defender
-Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender > Turn off Windows Defender > Enabled

Windows Update
-Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates > Enabled > 2 - Notify for download and notify for install

Thought they made it difficult to change policies in 10, I haven't touched anything since XP and only used that because the machines I work with wouldn't connect when using Linux.

whats the best and cheapest used thinkpad to meme around in openbsd with?

they exist to be changed, that is their whole purpose

im sad
try as I might I just cannot get arch to install on my x220
what do I use instead?

install arch
nvm fuck that install gentoo

t420/x220
i prefer t420 but its personal preference

a virtual machine

is it safe to buy them off amazon? most t420s are coming up at around 200, is that good price?

don't be sad, that makes me sad :(
works on my machine

no you should get them for like $100

buy them off of ebay you will get them for about $100 and if you want to do some bargaining you can get one for about $75 like i did

found this make sure you read desc tho

ebay.com/itm/LENOVO-T420-42366Y1-Intel-Core-i5-2-50GHz-4GB-Ram-Laptop-Integrated-Graphics/233314063252?hash=item36529a1394:g:LcgAAOSwGlJdVV9U

I am thinking about getting a X301 any one here have experience of that model should i get it

Going to buy a MacBook now I don't want to associate myself with rms/pedos.

got a t420s a couple weeks ago, and i personally like using it a lot
but the question is bros-- did i make the right choice?

pic related

Attached: rat.png (640x851, 649K)

Hey /tpg/,

Im looking for a thinkpad that i can do very light gaming on. Maybe overwatch but for the most part a games that are 5+ years old. I currently have a T440s and it struggles a lot in a lot of these.

Yes i have a desktop. I travel a lot and would like to get something that can play some games. Any ideas?

T440p

oh shit i was unaware of the p model. thanks!

T480/s with mx150 graphics or ryzen A485/T495/s

install gentoo

Got myself a T440P. The seller had upgraded to an i7-4710MQ.
The PC idles at 50-60C, while under load during Video rendering, model training and gaming, it reaches 85-93C
Is this fine/normal for that CPU or should I be concerned? Could it be shitty thermal paste or something wrong with the fan?

another question.
It came with the 730M, which I've heard is quite subpar. However, when gaming, both the 730M and the Intel Graphics 4600 are under load. Are they working in tandem to ease the load of each other? And if so what would be the better solution? Only utilizing 4600 or the 730M in terms of perfrormance and heat generation?

recommend me a good mouse nipple -free thinkpad-like laptop

Any thinkpad with a nipple

Hello GCHQ
Any thinkpad without a nipple is not a thinkpad

Switch to an iris pro cpu and shut down the 730 in bios.

soldering to batteries is fine just try not to hold the iron on it for too long

Just got an X230 but the battery capacity is at 45%. Where can I get a good replacement that doesn't cost over $100?

There are no Iris Pro CPUs for the G3 socket

amazon

I see the dtk shit, reviews look positive but I'm still wary. Anyone use them before?

amazon.ca/DTK-Battery-ThinkPad-0A36282-Replacement/dp/B07HM8VR79/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=x230 battery&qid=1568722985&s=gateway&sprefix=X230 &sr=8-3

How do you clean your thinkpad? What should i use on my t470s screen?

A W520 is probably overkill but I would go with that since it has an NVIDIA Quadro in it along with an i7.

>cdn
oh lol
anyways what you're looking for is the "44++" for 9-cell battery or "44+" for 6-cell, genuine 9-cell batteries are like $60 in america

Is there anywhere in particular I should look? Or is amazon usually good? Is there any danger in using non-white listed batteries?

My T430 doesn't power on without the power cable anymore. I tried pushing the button for 60+ seconds but no result. If I remove the cable the laptop instantly shuts down.
It was working alright a week ago and apart from that everything seems ok, battery is charged and in good health. What could be the issue?

Attached: 1528120561995.jpg (1876x954, 322K)

replace CMOS battery

I'm going to buy an x250 for 230€, it's a good price?

I'll do that, thank you.

4980hq you fuckshit.

See

what cpu? i7? if so £200 is a decent price, the i5 usually goes for £150

i5 bro, it would be my first ThinkPad, I will use it just for uni. I will be fine with that?

>just wasted an hour of my life removing a stripped screw
FUCK LENOVO

Maybe don't buy something old.

but they use standard screw sizes
if it's stripped it's the users fault

you play the piano user ?

I stripped it myself, it was extremely easy

that's not something to brag about
use the right size screwdriver next time

I thought I did. But after 2-3 turns it was already fucked

How do I libreboot my t400s? I'm not seeing a guide anywhere.

My W500 died. Can't power on with different ac adaptor, batteries are charged but are not working. Do I need to buy a new mobo? I have an X9100 in this.

Picks are used for guitar strings, not piano strings

Hello Jow Forums last week I picked up a near mint T440p complete in box with a thinkvision t22i and a pro dock for around $200 usd.

These are the specs of the one I got

14" 900p display
i5 4330m @ 2.8ghz
8gb ddr3 hyperx impact 1600mhz single stick
gt730m 1gb ddr5
500gb hdd
fingerprint reader
non backlit keyboard
strange 40 series trackpad (might swap it when i have the money)

I'm probabably buying another 8gb stick by the end of month when I get my paycheck but I was wondering what's the best sata ssd I can grab for this? Already ordered a caddy from amazon for around $5 usd and plan on keeping the original hdd mainly for additional storage on school proyects. Also is upgrading the cpu for a quad core worth it or would I be fine with this one? Main thing I'll be doing is some graphic design stuf with the adobe suite and I guess the most demanding stuff would be either adobe animate or maybe premiere (very light stuff). Any other recommendations on upgrading this would also come in great

Attached: 94169t450.jpg (450x360, 18K)

Look up on YouTube "Luke Smith arch install savage edition". He handholds you through the whole process, if you can't get your installation to work after that then just give up.

Just picked up a T440, touchpad and nipple both don't work. Installed fresh W10 drivers straight from Lenovo with no joy, the touchpad doesn't show up in Device Manager unless I show hidden devices and when I go to properties I just get code 24 error... Is this fixable or does it need sending back?

amazon.com/dp/B07L3D19MY/
I got one of these for my desktop but decided to just stick it in thinkpad instead using 2 drives in it

>Main thing I'll be doing is some graphic design stuf with the adobe suite and I guess the most demanding stuff would be either adobe animate or maybe premiere (very light stuff).
depends if it's cpu intensive or gpu

ssd + dual-channel ram will help everything in general

try reseating the cables
but the nipple goes through same cable as the rest of the keyboard, so if the whole keyboard is working and the nipple is not then it's probably not a cable issue

just bought an x61s as my first thinkpad, for use as a secondary laptop
long shot but do you think it's possible to run classic wow on it at 720p Jow Forumsentoomen?

Thanks for the helpful info user. I'm gonna look into checking if its gpu or cpu bound regarding the apps and might as well stick with the hdd for now and save for getting that ssd. Since I'm actually on a tight budget as of now.

*X61, not X61s, sorry

find a cheaper one, id only pay £200 for an i7 x250 otherwise a £100 or so x220 is better value

nope

holy shit thats so comfy especially the GPU

Guise what thinkpad do i get if i want to still play skyrim and look cool doing it

T420 finally shit the bed. Should I go for a $300 450 or just break the bank with a 480

>Jow Forums ideology
>Using same laptop as a pedo communist

>t. tranny

Okay bro thanks

Give me the snap of your girlfriend and I'll steal her

Wait u incels don't have a girlfriend.
Keep larping on your coal burning mother's saggy tits

can someone link me to a build of debian that contains the non free firmware required for an x220 to use wifi?

>thinking underage girls don't fuck and calling chads who fuck them pedos
incel