C# or Java. They seem the same to me but I want to know why you'd rip my ass apart if I used one over the other

C# or Java. They seem the same to me but I want to know why you'd rip my ass apart if I used one over the other.

Attached: csharp-logo.png (737x692, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/util/stream/package-summary.html
kotlinlang.org/api/latest/jvm/stdlib/kotlin.collections/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

C# is just Microsoft's Indian clone of Java. If you don't want to work in a "Microsoft shop", pick Java.

K, I like Java more

If you like game programming then C# and Unity are a great couple

Java was killed by Oracle and its community is empty, most of them switched to Kotlin.

C# is only supported by Microsoft and they can't be trusted for anything.

You should switch to Rust for system programming and Python or JavaScript for daily applications creation.

>You should switch to Rust for system programming and Python or JavaScript for daily applications creation.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: 6779455303577.png (395x401, 68K)

This fucking thread.
C# on .NET Core is the most comfy programming language in 2019. I'm willing to bet the first 3 posts are a samefag shill larp funded by oracle.
.NET Core 3.0 releases in exactly a week from now with a feature set that makes Rust look like its namesake. If you aren't on the bandwagon by the time .NET 5 Is released, you will be wishing you payed attention to this random post on Jow Forums.

B-but Microsoft is evil and we are on Jow Forums.
Microsoft is * except technology. :(

Enjoy to login to your IDE before coding or using an Electron based editor to work with C#.

.NET 5 will never be FOSS, retard.
You can't trust M$, they will fucked your dev ass ASAP with they patents and ads.

Is .NET worthwhile if you're not a Windowsfag though? It sounds pretty comfy but I use MacOS and Linux.

Java is poojeet cancer though, regardless.

Both are shit and should go away.

C++ and Python are all anyone needs.

.NET Core is FOSS. I can develop native binary images using it without purchasing a single tool or creating any user accounts. All of the source is out on GitHub if you want to build it from zero yourself on linux. Stop living under a rock and pretending its like .Net Framework days.

yes
.NET is now multiplatform, and the .NEP api will be completely unified for .NET 5

.NET Core is not .NET Framework. I think most of the retarded niggers in this thread haven't been paying attention to the Microsoft ecosystem over the last decade or so. Everything runs cross platform now. I can build native ARM/Linux images from my fucking windows PC if I want to. Things are different now. Go check it out.

>You should switch to Rust for system programming and Python or JavaScript for daily applications creation.

Attached: pp,650x642-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u1.jpg (750x1000, 62K)

>Microsoft
>can't be trusted with anything
>alternatives: pedo-infested Linux
I'll stick with my windows botnet for now. I'd rather not wind up in a party van if I accidentally download RMS's personal kernel images.

The M$' strategy worked on you but be aware you will have to pay soon!

M$ is for office stuff only, Linux won everything else areas. That's why M$ have to include Linux in its OS to keep some devs.

why was c# invented? wasnt c++ enough?

Guess I will. Avoided it before for pretty much the same reason I've avoided the Apple ecosystem, fear of being vendor specific and locked in (also objective-c has abhorrent syntax).

Granted last time I looked into it was when some dude was making an open source clone to use C# on linux and that was controversial, so like 15 years ago or something lol.

Rust destroyed them. That's why Microsoft is thinking to include them as VS language.

C# is a patent trap

Kotlin > C# >>>>>>> Java

C# has generics with primitives, generics at runtime, object and list initializer expressions, some other cool stuff.

Kotlin might not have the advantage of runtime generics, but is all around more modern and really, really comfy. A good example for that would be when expressions.

Java is just garbage. I don't know a single thing that Java does better. Generics are generally retarded in Java.

>Why yes, I do prefer C++ and its mixture of powerful, high-level abstractions with the ability to work at as low of a level as you require. How could you tell?

Attached: 191.jpg (831x1024, 68K)

Yes, M$ stole everything from mono to create dotnet core because devs left them for Linux.

This

Just like Go. Yes. Please don't trust M$/Google/...

I love that movie

M$ stuffs are bad and you know it, but too lazy to learn something else.

>Rust destroyed them.
what does that mean?
im not a system programmer
and you didnt answer me why was c# invented?

and yet everybody is talking about and learning Java and starting new projects in Java yet nobody even heard of Kotlin outside of small communities

Nobody learns Java now... It's the new COBOL.

>and yet everybody is talking about and learning Java
Because it's taught at universities. You're talking to people with literally zero experience or people that need cheap labour to maintain decade old business software.

>starting new projects in Java yet
Name one.

>nobody even heard of Kotlin outside of small communities
Except Google provides all documentation for Android App development in Kotlin and recommends to use Kotlin instead of Java now.

DotNetCore is against RGPD, European people have to drop it.

Don't forget about the granddaddy of C# features. LINQ.

var importantCustomerEmails = customers
.Where(x=>x.TotalSpent > 100000m)
.OrderByDescending(y=>y.LastPurchaseDate)
.Select(z=>$"{z.FirstName} {z.LastName} - {z.Email}");

Try replicating this in any of the fag hobby languages listed in this thread. And before anyone cries about performance, if this were on a hot path in a .NET Core application running with tiered compilation in release mode, it would very likely rape whatever equivalent you wrote in Rust. You will even get hardware intrinsics with LINQ in many instances as of 3.0.

It's just gibberish, don't embrace the new Microsoft's strategy to infect the heart of young developers.

>google recommends
you mean like other succesful things by goodle like google+,dart,angular,... lmao

Write the equivalent implementation in Rust and then try to convince a single person that it is more readable, and then I will give a shit about what you just typed.

Cython or Python with Ray can do this.

php shits on all those retarded things you wrote

M$ products are completely bloated and against your freedom.

>dynamically typed language
>hurr durr look at all this capability
>500s for days because someone forgot that datetime values aren't the same as booleans, even though the language lets them be that retarded.

Linq can't execute $"" database-side so you're limited to operating on stack, which means every language with lambda functionality can do the same.

git gud

Yes, LINQ is a past technology.
They should rename it in .NET Core.

I dunno about the rest of the langs in this thread, but that's absolutely trivial in any lisp.

Java kind of has that now, not quite as powerful though, with the Streams package, and Kotlin has a nice Collections package, which is why I left it out.

docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/util/stream/package-summary.html
kotlinlang.org/api/latest/jvm/stdlib/kotlin.collections/index.html

Neither have Expressions though. That's a really powerful feature of C#.

For the sake of your retarded argument let's assume I was referencing something backed by Entity Framework. In this case, there is nothing preventing you from writing a custom EF provider that can parse your Select methods into SQL that would then execute the same as a select statement concatenation scheme server-side. But, this is really retarded unless you are doing some massive join. EF is also kinda gay performance wise. I just use Dapper and raw SQL so I can easily hand-tune and test shit directly against the DB for query cost planning purposes.

Then type it up for us to compare.

Yeah, Java is so much better in that regard right?

Dilate unironically

It's literally just filtering and sorting a list.

Then it should be no biggie to crank out an example, right?

Can't you still use OpenJDK without having to pay the license fee to Oracle?

Attached: vietcong.jpg (582x754, 84K)

Why even risk it. If you have to ask these kinds of questions you need to find a new ecosystem in 2019.

>using rust
>ever

.NET/C# is floundering hard, Microsoft doesn't know what to do with half the stack; Entity, Razor, F#, Xamarin, LINQ, etc. They really need to get their shit together.

Attached: 1544782761565.jpg (648x484, 58K)

You realize the Oracle JDK is literally OpenJDK right? Java has become more free and open source under Oracle than it was under Sun.

>A wild Larry Ellison has appeared!
>Quick, use 'Decline Terms and Conditions'!
>[Critical hit]
>*ff victory music.exe*

Something along these lines depending on your data structure and how you want it formatted:
(mapcar #'(lambda (e) (format t "~A ~A - ~A"
(cust-first-name e)
(cust-last-name e)
(cust-email e)))
(sort (remove-if-not #'(lambda (x) (> x 100000)) customers)
#'> :key #'cust-last-purchase-date))

forgot to get muh money spent field
(mapcar #'(lambda (e) (format t "~A ~A - ~A"
(cust-first-name e)
(cust-last-name e)
(cust-email e)))
(sort (remove-if-not #'(lambda (x) (> (cust-total-spent x) 100000)) customers)
#'> :key #'cust-last-purchase-date))

Ok this isn't too terrible, accounting for the already terrible syntax. Problem is... LINQ combined with the power of Intellisense means I wrote my block of code in ~5 seconds whereas you wrote yours in probably more.

LINQ really is great compared to Java's poor attempt at it.

While Kotlin is nice it has in no way made a significant impact on Java. It's still the language of enterprise. Kotlin is still in the early adopter/playing around phase in terms of acceptance.

Java could literally have it all, but their laser focus on cornering the enterprise outstrips their desire to create innovative things such as the Microsoft Research division. MS dumps billions of dollars into speculative ivory tower academic affairs that rarely produce practical goods, just so we can occasionally get something revolutionary like LINQ or runtime multi-tiered compilation. Microsoft has been stacking the deck really hard over the last 5 years and it's getting to a point where you have to be really obnoxiously dense to ignore the upside potential with their new stack.

I'm pretty bad at lisp and I'm sure it could be done better, but doing shit to lists is sort of lisp's thing, like it's literally in the name (LISt Processing)

C# for loo users
Java for street shitters

C# is great, and I feel more productive using it over Java. But you must sell your soul to Microsoft to use it.

What does that even mean, you double nigger?
>y-you're right, buy just you wait...

/thred
Core 3 breaks 2 and everything else. 2 breaks 1. 1 breaks framework. Why wouldnt i use spring? You cant cli asp 2.2 is installed but 3 is only preview and is completely different than 2.2. Its so shitty when you create and asp through cli it gives you a useless mandatory weather api but nothing useful from 2.3

Theres no denying how immature .net is and is guaranteed to break which ends up being legacy garbage without compatibility so the amount of money spent updating over java is brutal

C# if infinitely superior to java
compared to C#, java feels like a shitty prototype with clunky syntax, worse stl, less features and arbitrary restrictions.
But MS is still full of faggots and a proper compiled/scripting language beats them both

C++ is close to Java.
As a full-blown programming language, C# is more like a collection of items you access from a big fuckin' library, that you and your writing skills had nothing to do with.

C# is like a chained-up Slavegirl of Gor that gives the succness to Microsoft benis all day, and plops out another windows app when she's been of use.

Java has seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. Has watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Jow Forums can bitch n' whine all day long, Java is still the world-wide, unlimited-class, King of the Beasts.

Attached: nice-install.jpg (450x399, 171K)

Are you on fucking rocks? I went from 1.1 to 2.2 and the only things I had to change in a reasonably big project was a few calls to asp cookie handling setup, because the old method was deprecated. I didn't even NEED to change the calls, they just threw warnings that the old method would be removed eventually.

Attached: 1538773852337.jpg (454x520, 91K)

This. I literally had to change zero things going from 1.x to 2.x, because I know how fucking autistic the aspnet people are so i just write my own mvc/pipeline handlers for shit like authentication and session management. The best part of all of it is how non-intrusive the DI is. They did a really good job not overengineering that. Everything just fucking works if you know how to play by the rules just enough to also avoid the traps.

Filter and sort are in way special features.

C# is better in every single way imaginable.

false. Java is pretty verbose and slow
c# keeps up with modern language developments and is designed fantastically.

Here are just a few examples of C# only features:
- optional dynamic types (for reading json or xml)
- partial classes
- real generics (not just inserting casts like Java).
- real lambdas
- linq
- value types

If you're not using Scala, you're a brainlet.

C# is a nicer language. It's literally just MS's off-brand Java with a few quality-of-life changes. Unfortunately, it's heavily tied to MS.
Java has far, far, far better cross-platform support than C# and is a more mature platform.

>not being on the .net core train by now
I thought you guys were smart ...

Attached: 1550163598620.jpg (425x340, 14K)

C# if you want to actually enjoy programming. NET Core is better than ever right now

Java streams is not only a kludgy mess in comparison, but the lack of reified generics also destroys performance when using the feature.

CLR simply performs better than JVM and .NET isn't plagued with the windows-only meme since ages back.

It's a comfortable language, but I wouldn't make a game in it

>he's not on the .NET 5 train

It's just like PHP5 ==> PHP7 except there are some naughty Microsoft patents.

Mono Core will destroy DotNet Core and its awful patents.

In your dreams freetard

Mono is already better than .NET Frameworks. So I suppose they will fork DotNet Core and make it awesome again. Hopefully freetards exist!

>Hopefully freetards exist!
Learn English pajeet

>memory leaks

Fortunately, freetards exist!

Why using C# when there are superior F# an Q#?

xamarin is owned by microsoft, if you didn't know

But it's FOSS, so they don't own anything.

Xamarin !== Mono !== DotNet Core

it doesn't change the fact that every argument against .NET core or .NET in general is "microsoft bad"

M$ should be forbidden from Europe and other sane areas.

kys communist