/pmp/ - Portable Media Players General

Lum edition
This thread is for the discussion of portable mp3/FLAC/OGG Vorbis players.
•Why use a PMP instead of a phone?
>better DAC
>more output power so it can drive highend headphones
>smaller sizes than phones for activities like exercise
>physical buttons
>headphone jacks
>some people can't use smartphone at work, and some people use dumbphones
Useful Guide(s)
• The General /pmp/ Guide pastebin.com/fe2LFFdV (embed) (embed) (embed)
• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery web.archive.org/web/20170708033500/http://nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
• Third party battery guide iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/ Guide for iPod 6G/7G needs adding/making
• Reminder to use Rockbox DEV builds when available.
• Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series
rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool
• Please keep taking nice pics of your /pmp/'s so that they can be used as OP pics

• Archived Threads : rbt.asia/g/search/subject/pmp/

Attached: 1563042905148.jpg (4592x3056, 2.63M)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,48240.msg228062.html
amazon.com/dp/B07G5MDHNF/?coliid=I6BD6WBX19RX5&colid=1KW7UFXG6FYN9&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
amazon.com/AGPTEK-Replaceable-Battery-Recording-Expandable/dp/B07PFHMVF9
aliexpress.com/item/32848799839.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i use this daily

Attached: zune brown 30gb.jpg (400x300, 18K)

Are these still worth getting if all of you music is in mp3?

Pioneer XDP-300R

Attached: IMG_20190916_172009-2016x1512.jpg (2016x1512, 507K)

thinking about getting an ap60 ii. has anybody been able to put rockbox on it?

What kind of microSD cards do you guys use?

How expensive is it to buy an iPod, mod it/rockbox it?

anything will do as long as it's not chinkshit that lies about its capacity
it's a music player, read and write speed isn't going to matter much

Samsung Evo Select 256gb, its the amazon specific model, but its pretty much the same. You don't need the extreme speed pro sandisk for storage, they are more for capturing HD video. the samsung is fast enough if you use a real reader and not go off of USB.

they just put out a 500gb for less then $100, which is pretty damn good.

95% of people will fail 320 kbps vs FLAC ABX tests. As long as your MP3 is V0 or 320 it's as quality as it needs to be.

Attached: aaaaaah.jpg (1920x1080, 234K)

I have PNY Elite and Samsung Pro Select in mine.

a 16 gb pink ipod mini is 15 bucks. A 6th gen touch with 128gb is 180.

Noo, I meant the old zunes. I like the old ipods, but someone in my area is selling a zune just like that for about $40.

Depends on how much you need to fix
I basically Frankenstein'd two together that came in my store to be recycled which likely would have cost $50-100 through second hand means for a 30GB and 80GB fifth gen pods.
To be honest it was easier to find a sansa, just toss in a card and call it a day.

I need a non-bullshit, straight-to-the-point music player that offers standard sound quality (I'll listen to it through chink earphones I got for free anyway) and allows me to either browse my music by folders, or to create playlists.
I don't give a rat's ass about having a little screen to put cartoon loli tits on, I just want it to show the track, artist, and playlist/group i saved it to.
Please recommend something anons, thank you

Attached: 1342656c1v5hcv7465hc1f785fh6c352.png (962x541, 453K)

SanDisk black or gray/red ones, but only because I've been able to get them on sale and they're reliable af in my experience. After hearing how my Clip+ makes honking noises on sensitive IEMs when it reads from the card, I've started to wonder whether there's something to those Sony low-noise MicroSDs. Then again I've more or less switched to phone+ES100, which doesn't have that problem since they don't share the same power circuitry.

Cheapest route would be an iPod mini for $15, CF to SD adapter for $12, optionally a new battery for $12. All that's left is your choice of microsd card for a variable price, and rockbox, which is free.

Attached: IMG_0009.jpg (960x1280, 339K)

looks like Sansas would be worth your while

Some Sansa or some iPod. Or possibly some Creative Zen series. I've had a Zen Xtra, an iPod Classic, and a Clip+. All are nice, especially iPod or Clip+ with Rockbox since it's generally just a better UI.

I lost my fiio m3 the other day gents. What should I buy as a replacement?

Attached: 1554602339427.jpg (793x786, 52K)

What did you like and dislike about it?

I've got a Cowon J3 that I love. I fear the day it dies, I don't want to have to try and find something to replace it.

Attached: cowonj3.jpg (320x209, 7K)

Thanks anons, the sansa c200 looks promising

Just remember, install Rockbox. Sandisk couldn't make a usable firmware if their lives depended on it. The interface on the Clip+ stock firmware was clunky to use, but the worst part by far was that after any connection to a computer, even if only to charge it, it would re-index all your files, which could take upward of half an hour if your SD card is large.

Thoughts on the SP2000?

Why don't you have one yet?

Attached: SP2000_1024x1024_c404eb6c-669e-40c9-a3a6-846d0de6d67c.png (1024x1024, 327K)

CF to SD adapters might cause problems for Rockbox.
>However, you've basically got one-of-a-kind hardware here, which means troubleshooting is basically impossible.
forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,48240.msg228062.html

Which one is the best?

If you hearing is still good above 16k and you have quality treble IEMs it may sucks a bit.

Otherwise, note that not all MP3 are made equal, a MP3 from 2002 will sound way worse than a recently ripped one. Because better compression algorithms.

I honestly don't hear the difference. Or so little it's bias placebo.

Sounds good but I don't care about streaming, would be a waste of money for me.

Hifiman r2r2000 and the tera player

iPod classic from 2006. I paid $400 for it in 8th grade I think.
Apple was kind of good back then.

It's obnoxiously large. And it's too locked down despite being Android. Might as well get an M11 if you want to have a ginormous dap.

Attached: IMG_20190917_194928-1612x1209.jpg (1612x1209, 228K)

Shanling M0 or Fiio M5

I have an iPod Classic 6G that I want to revive. The rockbox port have been "unstable" for a while now.
Has anybody here tried it?

FiiO has an habit of not updating their players and drop support a few months after they come out. Shanlig also has superior controls.

Reminder that Stallman gave up against SJWs and left MIT and FSF.

Good

Is the AP80 good?
It kinda look like a slightly bigger m0 with physical buttons which I like.

i just have a nw-a45 walkman

Attached: 16yearoldzoomer.png (434x327, 78K)

I just got two of these.
It has the same DAC as the Shanling M0, but instead uses the HibyOS and has a bigger battery. The physical controls are nice, and the MSEB gives a ton of equalizing options.
Overall it's pretty solid in terms of features and the sound is very good, sound signature is more on the bright side.

Attached: IMG_20190917_093513__01__01.jpg (4187x2304, 2.69M)

>Port Status
>Nearly all of Rockbox's features work and battery life is extremely good.
That's from their wiki that was last updated 3 years ago. It's probably as stable is it's going to get until the next release. Depending on what how you're going to revive it, make sure you look into the mods.

Attached: 1544186626142.png (542x68, 7K)

>xduoo x20 has same soundcard with onkyo dp-x1
>Jow Forums keep recommending me zishan dsd while zishan and xduoo x20 are bot at the same price
>see a youtube video about blind test of zishan vs other high end DAP (also including onkyo one)
>onkyo dominate over zishan in all aspects of sound quality

Attached: images.jpg (225x224, 6K)

Blind tests really make me wonder. Blind ears might be terrible at discerning things surely?

blind tests ensure no bias from preconceived notions. things as small as color can affect how we perceive things that have no real relation to anything visual. so if we're testing for audio quality alone, it's generally good practice to remove other potential "leaks" that could lead to a placebo and impact results.
granted there's also the argument that the placebo factor there is important since in day to day use, that's how people will be interacting with the device and will absolutely impact their daily usage, therefore is relevant in tests for what people will enjoy more in a "normal" environment.

Is anybody using a cheap smartphone simply as a media player? Any experience with that?

no one shills for zishan or walnut except for the retarded name fag and the singaporean fuck zpolt. Avoid zishan at all costs unless you like high output impedance shit build quality and bootleg components.

Not him but I've got one too, it's an iPod Classic 120 GB. Neat little thing, and back when I was using it there was no exploit to get the bootloader to load anything not signed by Apple. Are there mods other than flash memory? I'm not that picky and the micro HDD seems good enough especially if it can't be upgraded to much more space.

Not a bad idea actually. Take the Alcatel Ideal for instance. Costs $20 from AT&T, comes with a GoPhone SIM and is locked to their network, no activation required to purchase it since they figure you'll have to go through them to use it. But if you want a purely wifi or no-network device that's a flat $20. I haven't tried it with my super sensitive IEMs yet but it doesn't sound half bad. The battery life is good with no network connection, and playing music with the screen off eats extremely little. Install BlackPlayer and put in a MicroSD full of music and you've got yourself a cheap music player.

>bootleg components.
[Citation Needed] (You) Fucking Assclown

I never said they were perfect but nothing comes close to their price / performance ratio

Attached: Zishan_DSD_22_R.jpg (1000x750, 131K)

Remember the good old days of iPod Minis?

2005 was 20 years ago

Can you actually use rockbox on yours? There seem to be problems with minis + sd cards. What ss card do you use?

>1990 was 50 years ago
wew

Just want a decent player, shouldn't cost too much.
I can get used Sony HD5 for ~20-30€ or used Sansa player for 20-35€

amazon.com/dp/B07G5MDHNF/?coliid=I6BD6WBX19RX5&colid=1KW7UFXG6FYN9&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Anyone got this one? How is it?

my gf has a 7th gen ipod nano that she doesnt use anymore, should i daily it or stick with my note 4?

Attached: ipod_nano_7th.jpg (600x532, 50K)

What are some pmp's that I can put anime backgrounds on?

KYS

Dilate

fiio m9 with tin hifi p1

Attached: IMG_20190918_153915~2.jpg (2493x3550, 1.7M)

I'm feeling it.

Rockboxed ones like iPod and stuff

Rockbox it

Quick qn whats the rockbox theme in the OP

How do those sound?

Is there a smartphone without the phone part that's not an iPod?

Is it normal for the m3k to lag sometimes? I wonder if it has to do with how many songs you’ve got, when i turn it on with the button, it will not turn on sometimes. Or when I hit play, it won’t play and then play a couple moments later. One time it even spooked me by not lighting up and I had to hold the power button to turn it on, maybe wake it back up because it when to sleep or something.

Not possible on that ipod.
PodTwo with a custom background.

The M3K is not very powerful. It may have some issues with large libraries. Check to see if FiiO has made any updates to the firmware. Unlikely since its a shit company that loves to drop support for its devices.

Bump

I don't have a m3k but from the things I've read in the past threads that's the expected behaviour

M0 if you dont mind forking 100 bucks for something ridiculously small and has a good set of features.

Attached: IMG_1198.png (300x349, 78K)

So are the old Zune 30 worth a purchase? Seems like you can convert flac to wma and add them to zune without loss in quality. These look like a brick and last a while but not sure if its worth grabbing compared to a dap that goes for 80 or so

amazon.com/AGPTEK-Replaceable-Battery-Recording-Expandable/dp/B07PFHMVF9
Thoughts?

Attached: 1565774979072.png (1554x470, 208K)

If I see you rocking that shit I will bully you

yeah but you're probably some zoomer who's opinion I don't care about

Attached: 1552664519384.png (646x503, 233K)

They're certainly unique. The downside is parts are more expensive than ipod parts, you usually have to buy a whole damaged unit.

My brother gave me his old iPod Classic to do whatever I wanted with it so I immediately Rockboxed it. I will probably pass it on to my mother. Sharing is caring.
I still prefer my iRiver hp-140 modded with a SSD.

Attached: IMG_20190918_230846.jpg (2220x3120, 1.34M)

Rio PMP300

Your first

Why is rockbox so dead?
I am using it on my Ibasso DX50 which is pretty much one of the newest players that support rockbox while not being sold anymore...

Maybe its time to switch to one with open android some time in the future? But most software is pretty bad. You are pretty much forced to get a DAP with all current smartphone manufacturers completely fucking the hifi community.

I still love my DX50 and got a new 512GB card as well as a new battery so it should be usable for a few more years... For the price its hard to beat. Sadly there are not that many good ones in the ~200$ price range anymore.

What device is this? I live in a shit country where these never took off. Might try getting it online

nice w i d e

Does this have a skin on it? I like the rubberized look.
Ipod 5.5g

>Does this have a skin on it? I like the rubberized look.
No. It is just the a plastic protector.
It may even be the original one for all I know.

Attached: 1387926524628.jpg (1920x1080, 305K)

That would just be a smart.
There's plenty of PMPs that run Android, just look in this thread. They're basically a smartphone with no cellular stuff.

Best pmp for 50 bucks?

Zishan Z3

aliexpress.com/item/32848799839.html

Attached: 8bbc8ae3-e253-444e-9901-04095f7ebfa8.jpg (748x620, 117K)

Whatever nerd

Attached: 1549957485336.jpg (2448x3264, 484K)

post your favorite looking dap/pmp

Attached: nwe507.jpg (1000x1213, 74K)

comfy reportan

Attached: fa207dc2-bcab-4c1f-bddd-1ecc0055c40d..jpg (3456x4608, 2.42M)

nice

Are there any recommended and simple to use devices out there, that are readily available today? Planning on giving a device to an elder but im.not sure which to go there are several chinese models on amazon

Just added new tracks to my old dude here.
Maybe some other day but im still looking for something as smol and with physical buttons as my ipod shuffle here.

Attached: Microfucker 190219.jpg (3024x4032, 811K)

I have 3 pmps.

Sony (left) is my general pmp. I use this everywhere. Its supposed to be water proof but I swim fast and the rubber band doesn't help and the water proof buds make the music sound shit. The battery life is ok with ambient sound turned off and accepts plenty of file formats plus it can pair with my phone no problem.

Sandisk (center): This is my old PMP its great and solid for $35 bucks. I am retiring this one because while I can put in 128 Gb Sd cards, the fact that it needs FAT SUCKS because I have to then constantly check the sd card for errors and its slow. I'd use the 4Gb built in but I wanted something that was "everything proof"

AGPtek (right): is a really nice water proof mp3 player. The only downside is it only accepts mp3 files but its like the best water proof player I have seen. I swim with this shit and the ear buds don't budge. I wish my sony's would work but this can take my speed and flips. (plus its 8Gb as supposed to as 4Gb on the sony)

They make chink ones that look almost exactly the same but can take a huge MicroSD card and only cost a few bucks.

oops did the picture not upload?

Attached: IMG_20190918_225144479.jpg (4160x3120, 3.17M)

tried one, fucker didnt even last a month, battery died and the buttons sunked making it unusable.

Has anyone done the audio capacitor bypass mod for the iPod Video?