/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Don't dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previously:

Attached: tux.jpg (900x800, 96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com
cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/
cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/log/?h=amd-staging-drm-next
cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/log/?h=drm-next-5.4
google.com)
opensource.com/article/17/1/solid-state-drives-linux-enabling-trim-ssds
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-Q-740-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7200U/m415vsm153577).
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dash
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How to theme qt5 apps without installing kde?

What's the best distro for girls(boys)

SparkyLinux with Lumina DE.

How do I make sure my headless system is always connected to a working wifi source?
I tried adding a script like this in `sudo crontab -e` (not the raw script but just the path to it)
wget -q --spider google.com

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
echo "Online"
else
echo "Rebooting"
systemctl shutdown -r now
fi
This instead is my wpa_supplicant.conf
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
update_config=1
country=mycountry

network={
ssid="myid"
psk=mypass
}
Sometime due to power outages or network simply going down for whatever reason my pi fails to reconnect
I have a bunch of local services running I can't access

What sysctl.conf config options are worth using for a mid powered desktop?
Alot of places say to change like 100 of them but can that do more harm then good if you over configured it or set values too high?

Im on Debian Testing and I hear people shit on it because it has older "packages".

What does it actually mean? The specific software? How big of an leap can there be with Krita/Wine/Firefox on Debian testing and on Manjaro?

yo wtf i haven't heard of this DE before, good shit

since stallman is no more, it is no longer GNU + Linux, just Linux

I thought Debian Testing was basically the normal desktop version that most people used.

wrong, GNU is alive and well. It's related to FSF, not GNU.

fuck off with your retarded attempt to inject communism into free software.
donating time willingly != communism.

shitty op image but whats a good fork of gnome to use? specifically gnome 3
i know budgie is somewhat based on it and theres mate but thats gnome 2

You'd be hard pressed to even find a maintained fork of gnome 3

Dilate

Cinnamon

It's common for hobbiest fags who don't understand software and don't do any real work to compare "specs". This means checking for updates several times per day to ensure their version numbers are at maximum, then rushing to their social media outlet of choice to make others aware that software X version Y is a thing.

But you really shouldn't use testing over stable. Testing can be broken for months while updates get stuck in unstable.

Are you just using wpa_supplicant directly to connect, or are you interfacing with it through something like networkmanager? If you aren't using networkmanager/systemd-networkd/connman to manage your network devices you should, it's much easier to ensure your connection is robust and can respond to failure. Personally I prefer systemd-networkd.

instal guix

You’re pretty much meant to use Testing if you are a normal desktop user. It’s like the LTS releases from Ubuntu. It’s not like Testing is bleeding edge, it’s just not stuff they can put into a stable release for servers

No, testing is automatic migrations from unstable with no security coverage.

I use kde connect, but how do I send messages from my pc without receiving one first? The option only pops up when its a reply. when i go into kde connect its just a settings menu

Does anyone know if there's a 5.3 kernel branch available with the latest AMDGPU code intended for the 5.4 merge-window? 5.3 itself is a buggy mess and the *-next branches on the agd5f/linux repo are (still?) all based on earlier kernel versions, and I don't want to use those and patch the recent mainline changes myself.
cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/
cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/log/?h=amd-staging-drm-next
cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/log/?h=drm-next-5.4
Will the AMD employees rebase this to 5.3 or do I have to wait until the changes were merged into mainline?

Attached: 1908141737200.jpg (1361x800, 397K)

bump

When using upgrade command is it better to use sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, or is the dist mostly unnecessary? Is the order that it upgrades super important?

sudo apt-get update && time sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

alternatively use a sane system: pacman -Syu

Does anyone here use OpenRC, and is it worth using instead of systemd?

How do you use a mount point not in $HOME using firejail?
Using 'whitelist' does nothing as the program HARDCODED dosent allow anything outside of $HOME?

Is it possible to systematically record a video of everything done with the root account?
Anytime someone logs into root or sudo su and send the stream the recorded video to a remote server.

tell them to use sudo since it logs the command for each invocation to the journal
it doesn't log commands inside script files or shells started with "sudo sh" though
stop giving untrusted people root access

I'm just using raspbian. I literally didn't touch anything more, other than making a wpa_supplicant.conf to connect to X AP with Y pass

>OpenRC
Yeah
>worth using
I've just created a simple daemon script a few hours ago for corefreq which works as intended, so I guess so. When I tried to use systemd to create a simple x11vnc daemon, it was a total nightmare and refused to work

Is there anything similar to GOYscript or Geminis Auditor in Kali Linux?
I want to pentest my wifi properly and it seems dumb having to memorize 600 commands to do so, so i'd like a script to do it

Also, should i be using Kali Linux or Wifislax?

Attached: SBzaKJgZKZs8.png (3840x2160, 2.55M)

Holy shit, Xfce 4.14 is so horrible. There is noting worse than gtk3

not my question

install gentoo (and mask the versions that default to gtk3)
some of the old versions aren't in the gentoo repository anymore so you have to copy them from git history to a local overlay

Attached: 1560494392647.png (638x1346, 377K)

Anyone here try Debian Cinnamon? How is it?

remember when GNOME 2 was stable and good?

Emacs says my gpg signature is missing or invalid when I try to install a package. But there's a singnature.gpg file plainly sitting in my emacs directory. How do I debug this? I've already re-installed emacs several times.

MATE

So I'm booting Guix System from an USB but I get the following error:

Error: Driver 'pcspkr' is already registered, aborting...

Did they manage to fuck up their installer? I'm using a libreboot X200 btw

Don't bother listening to people here about that. It's fueled more by autism than reasonable logic. Same way /spg/ has a lot of people claiming that any camera that isn't the literal best is automatically shit.

In practice, the main thing you'll miss out on is when software gets a big upgrade or improvement; rolling distros get it immediately (or really soon after release), Testing and other distros won't get it for a while unless you use backports or something. The trade-off is being right there on the bleeding edge can lead to breakage more easily than sticking to the versions which make their way into Testing.

>install Manjaro in a VM
>one big update upon installing
>no updates since then, over the last few days

Is that normal, or is something wrong here?

Even then can’t you just install the source code on stable yourself most of the time?

I don't know about manjaro specifically, but that sort of thing is common in general. A new install image might be generated, say, once a month, so a fresh install has a month's worth of backlogged updates. But then it slows to a trickle once its up to speed.

Ignore it. pcspkr is the thing that makes your machine beep obnoxiously like computers in the 80s did. Know that little beeper that you can connect to the mobo's front-panel header? Four pins, two connected, red and black? That's what that is. I have to blacklist that obnoxious shit on my T500.

Note that the PC speaker is entirely unrelated to regular sound or speaker systems (ALSA, Pulesaudio, etc) that you use to, eg, listen to music, play games, etc.

Sure, there are multiple ways to be more up-to-date with software. The difference lies with what the distro is giving to you on its own, basically.

I figured there'd be a big update at first, it's the lack of updates since then that has me wondering. My last rolling distro was openSUSE Tumbleweed forever ago, and that thing had sizable updates every single day. I'm aware Manjaro's repo holds stuff back a bit but I don't have any idea how long that is. That's why I'm wondering if there's a problem here.

How does everyone feel about elementary OS?

The beeping is kinda cute, though
Also, I'm using the x86_64 installer instead of the i686 installer. Did libreboot turn my X200's processor from a 32bit to a 64bit? I'm really confused...

too elementary

Debian stable still has really old versions of DEs. Like it still uses XFCE 4.12 which looks a lot older than the current version.

>XFCE 4.12 which looks a lot older than the current version.
that's not a bug, that's a feature. 4.14 is a downgrade with all the GTK3 garbage.

That's why I said
>the main thing you'll miss out on is when software gets a big upgrade or improvement
Probably should've just said "packages" over "software" but, yeah.

>use Testing
And stay with bugged software for weeks until it unfreezes.
If you want newer software on Debian you should just use Sid, there's no reason not to. Testing is basically Sid with lesser updates.

Speaking of Debian: I wanted to upgrade to testing so I changed all the references from buster to testing in sources.list, installed upgrades. But when I boot my machine it won’t even start, just a black screen. What’s the likely cause for this? Doesn’t seem like something that should happen with a simple update to testing

I guess I thought you were kind of under-stating the case, making it seem like only autists cared a lot about testing. But not having access to something as basic as the latest DE’s or even earlier than that in stable really kind of sucks. It’s what makes it feel so old

Hello Jow Forums after a decade of use I am finally able to put the first PC I ever bought into retirement mode; taking win7 off it and giving it new life with linux. I know I want to put Ububtu on it cause: I hear it's the most noob friendly, I have used it in the past, and I like it.

My only conundrum is this: should I go with 16 or the newer 18? I thinking 18, but wonder about the processor a little. Is there any reason I should go with 16 due to people's past experiences?

SPECS: Core i7 7400 1.73Ghz, 2Gb Nvidia GT 435m, 6Gb Ram, 1Tb HD.

Attached: OriginalPng.png (500x320, 106K)

The autism comment was more about when people treat non-bleeding-edge distros as worthless or utterly unusable. Certain drawbacks doesn't mean it can't serve well for someone else. I see merit in both types of distros - hell, I'm the guy asking about Manjaro in this thread right now.

I had the problem with a instable wifi connection, so I did a cronjob every 2 minutes

wgetvar=$(wget -q --tries=3 --timeout=20 --spider google.com)

if [ $? -ne '0' ] # wenn keine netzverbindung dann tu das
then
nmcli r wifi off
sleep 4
nmcli r wifi on
sleep 10
else
#some logging
sleep 1
fi

What's the last sleep 10 for?

Relatively new linux user earlier this year, and I've been noticing a weird problem lately where on xubuntu I will randomly have a nonmounted volume show up as a desktop icon but then I refresh with f5 it disappears. Like it's a ghost volume that it thinks exists when it doesn't

before the else I had some messaging function:
to guarantee that the internet connection is reestablished I waited 10s and the message was send after..

For an old computer, you can use the Lubuntu or Xubuntu variants. This way, you will benefit from more recent packages.

Is ubuntu so bloated that even my computers specs won't work? It has more ram than recommend and an OK graphics card; at least for non gaming. Is it just Ubuntus GUI that makes it suck on old computers?

I know *buntus are debian based and mostly the same under the hood. There's no packages I couldn't use on those versus Ubuntu? I mostly want to use it for web development, programming, and maybe IoT. I'm assuming the answer is no, just want to make sure.

The only way to know for sure is trying.
Get the standard installer; if your computer is too slow, you can switch later.
An SSD will help a lot, even if your computer is old.
I believe you can use TRIM even without BIOS support:
opensource.com/article/17/1/solid-state-drives-linux-enabling-trim-ssds

If you get standard Ubuntu make sure to turn off animations

Maybe it is something related to encryption. What is the name of the volume?

that doesn't really answer the question, just lets me guess more effectively at what you are probably using. the default is probably networkmanager, but it seems like you might be going behind networkmanager's back and just configuring wpa_supplicant yourself. what the script the other person gave does is tells networkmanager to turn all wifi radios off and on again if the wget to google fails, but if you haven't configured your wifi through networkmanager I'm not sure that it will know to actually connect to your network after that. it might work.
For processor, I'm guessing you meant i7-740(?) 1st gen core (which is what that would be) is probably the oldest I would feel comfortable using on a daily basis. It will perform just fine with normal gnome 3 ubuntu if that's what you want to use. With those older processors you actually get the advantage of a full 35w TDP, chips newer than ivy bridge or so you tend to get ULV processors which means a new mid-tier laptop processor is only about 50% faster than that one (cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-Q-740-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7200U/m415vsm153577). It's just a million times hotter and doesn't get anywhere near as good battery life for obvious reasons.
As for the version just use the latest LTS, there is literally no reason to use the older one.

It won't let me even go to the properties of it

Is there a name under the icon that appears?

No it just says "volume" I f5 on the desktop it's gone basically.

Try to open/mount it says volume not found.

How can I reset all my desktop environment settings to defaults on Ubuntu 18.04? Main de is unity but I just want to wipe them all clean and restart

What distro did you install? Did you make some change to the default disk setup?

purge the packages.
reinstall the packages.
unless dpkg no longer removes config files after a full purge.

Not sure that would work, since afaik unity uses dconf, which means there really isn't a file to remove.

It's again. I had a quick look online, and it seems like unity does in fact use dconf. The easiest way is to use the terminal.
First run dconf dump to list everything stored in that piece of shit registry. Find out what "directories" unity is using (xfce has /org/xfce/). Then run dconf reset -f DIRECTORY.

Delete your .config/{gnome,gconf, anything that looks gnome} folders

And where do you think dconf stores its data? The cloud? It's all in .config/dconf

> on fedora live USB (machine runs Arch)
> run dnf upgrade
> runs out of space, not surprising on a 8GB stick
> shut down, unplug stick
> secure boot fails

Did I get botnetted?

Attached: compromised.jpg (1280x720, 68K)

A challenger appears.

Attached: Eelco_dolstra.jpg (684x1024, 132K)

Consider Trisquel.

Attached: trisquel logo.png (599x230, 70K)

>a fucking fidget spinner
Truly an operating system for autists.

No. It's a pagan symbol, and each release is named after Celtic gods.

Yes. In a single file, .config/dconf/user, that every program that uses dconf for its config has its data in.
And those registry entries don't get removed when you uninstall the appropriate package (I had config for xfce's mouspad, even though I don't have it installed anymore). Now other other packages also don't remove their user-specific config when uninstalled (I still have .config/i3/config despite not having it installed anymore), but I can just remove that with rm, and it's obvious the files are there when just looking at the directory in a file manager or with ls.
Dconf is an attrocity, just another feather in GNOME's hat. If the wanted a central file for configuration, they should have just used gconf, like they did in Gnome 2. That was xml, so nice plaintext.

oh shit, it must be a good OS then

Few things might be of note:
> ran pacman -Syu before shutting down to boot the USB in the first place
> secure boot fails whether I try to boot from HDD or from the stick
> After the first failure I literally deleted the contents of my EFI and boot partitions and reinstalled GRUB and the linux kernel (everything there is working fine or I wouldn't be here)
> I have been running arch for two years and this is literally the first time that secure boot has given me ANY grief

Is Secure Boot just fucked? Is my system compromised?

Attached: FoggyBreathGirl.jpg (1609x1374, 348K)

GNOME 3 is stable and better.

Thanks for the help
I've tried these and didn't solve my issue, so I guess it's some mystery problem. (my notifications were showing up in a weird/non themed way, and this was on a nearly fresh install)
Decided just to bite the bullet now and switch to gnome with some unity like tweaks

xubuntu , I did do it where it's also got macos and a macos recovery partition in it but it already sees those normally.

I'm afraid I can't help you, it might be something related to MacOS.

Probably, it's no big deal though. basically it was an old computer that was going to be recycled that I saved and got for free and gave a new life with linux but I wanted to keep a factory sorta thing for whatever macos was in there just in case since I was new to the whole thing. I'm not a macos user. Was just an odd thing I noticed linux doing but otherwise been a pretty good experience learning and using. When I can afford a new computer I was going to maybe go to a dif distro like maybe mint or something.

so I have a laptop and a desktop with mint 19 on them
laptop with integrated intel graphics, desktop has geforce 750ti in it, both computers have screen tearing that I haven't managed to fix be it through changing drivers or adjusting settings
what is fucked and do I fix it?
I put zorin on my laptop and did help diminish it but didn't fix it entirely

Attached: smash cover.png (700x520, 719K)

other than turning off animations is there anything you can do to make gnome feel faster? it just seems to have that "chugging" feel no matter what

[~]$ ls -l /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 4 May 13 06:18 /bin/sh -> bash
why is this allowed

have sex

Ubuntu links sh to dash.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dash

>Note that under Linux, most scripts seem to use at least some bash-specific syntax.
>The Slackware setup scripts are a notable exception, since ash is the shell used on the install disks.
too bad it's going to be dead.
there's not any non gnu cocksucker distribution of linux other than slackware and alpine right?
why did gnuism get so popular?

When Torvalds decided to use GNU software to manage the userland for his kernel.

Well, shit.
I don't think even him is happy about that decision if you've heard his interviews.
But he doesn't care because it works.
He is not a turbu security autist or unixfag