Should I buy a Surface Pro 6?

Pic related. My laptop just kicked the bucket yesterday and I need a new one. Old laptop was a 5 pound 15.6" screen and it was too heavy and bulky for my liking. I'm looking to go with something lighter and more portable. Is Surface Pro 6 a good choice? If you have one, what do you think of it and what should I know before I buy?

Attached: surface_pro_6.jpg (970x647, 140K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/p/N82E16856158064
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Oh, and also, if you have one what specs did you get? And do you wish you had gone with different specs?

Why not just get a really USFF desktop pc like pic related and screw it into the back of a monitor? pic related: AM4 desk mini, about the size of a desktop PSU.

Attached: 141174-196441-196439_rc.jpg (416x234, 22K)

Forgot link: newegg.com/p/N82E16856158064

Just chuck in 2 sticks of 8GB of laptop DDR4 RAM, a 2200G/2400G APU and your SSD of choice.

>more portable
Somehow, I think op wants something that can actually fit in his bags.
Anyway, I like the idea of x86/64 tablets, but I know I'd miss the screen real estate. But I was one of those asshole who preordered a nexdock 2 (which I wouldn't have to take with me all the time), which will have a bigger screen. And I don't think I would want a surface, because the only way to fix anything in them is to try and break the adhesive holding the screen on without breaking the screen. Unfortunately a surface pro 6 seems to be like the only thing you can get new for under a thousand bucks that's still powerful enough to not appear to be something I'd feel like I'm be fighting all the time.

These "computers" are a scam when you really think about it. Yeah they're portable but is the inability to upgrade the hardware really worth it? Also you're severely overpaying for the performance you get.

If you need portability THAT badly why not just use your phone and remote into your desktop via teamviewer?

In general:
>Good screen (In my experience for surface laptops)
>Adequate hardware
>It's a tablet
>Good if your highest priorities are weight and portability

However,
>No upgrades whatsoever, either buy a high-spec model or be prepared to carry external drives with you if you need any measure of storage capacity
>No maintenance options, if anything breaks you'll have to buy a new one
>Port selection is meh, be prepared to buy dongles, also no USB-c
>Not a fan of those type-cover things myself but ymmv

i just got one, yeah the cheapest one, actually 2 of them because of an auction...

ANYWAY

It's alright, does what I want, Photoshop, streaming videos to my TV, word, excel etc.

It's light and easy to bring around, what sucks is if you buy low spec that's what you get.

Found out HP released Zbook which is more powerful but looks like more of an office laptop/tablet.

If you have any questions ask away.

Before I've used Macbook Pro, I kinda like this one more because it's more of a tablet, screen isn't too bad either.

> No USB-C
See, that's the kicker
I'm also considering a Dell XPS 13 as another option. Not super keen on the idea of getting an HP since my old laptop that died was an HP and had a bunch of problems.

>
>> No USB-C
>See, that's the kicker
>
>I'm also considering a Dell XPS 13 as another option. Not super keen on the idea of getting an HP since my old laptop that died was an HP and had a bunch of problems.

Had the first gen XPS 13. Great laptop. Dual booted linux on it as that was my daily driver. Primarily used Windows for only one thing. Flew all over the world with me, was handled pretty roughly (not abused, just... roughened up), and it worked fine for over a year, until that stupid gravity thing pulled it down from about 30 feet high.
Ir was overkill for my needs anyways. Went to a Chromebook and have been happy ever since on that aspect. The only thing i can't do with the Chromebook is farting around with tuning my vehicles. Bought a surface... 5?6? with an i7 off CL and seems to work great for that.
Anyway... XPS 13 = great machines.

Well there is an XPS 13 that is 2 in 1, and Surface is lacking ports, everything depends on what you're using it for, for my needs it pretty much fills it, a laptop with tablet access and decent specs, I don't use much accessories.

Don't need a wacom tablet because the pencil is good and it's a pen made from wacom. If I'm not mistaken only the iPad Pro has a better pen, I think there is a Surface 7 coming out in October if you can wait.

Oh, and you if you want the pen you have to buy it seperately. I think you can buy package Surface with keyboard so it will be a little cheaper.

Just go with Surface Go.

>No upgrades whatsoever
I've literally never heard of anyone upgrading their PCs/laptops (let alone tablets) since 2009.

If it's not good enough, toss it and buy a new one.

>
>Oh, and you if you want the pen you have to buy it seperately. I think you can buy package Surface with keyboard so it will be a little cheaper.

Or, just buy a Chinesium pen for 20 bucks and it will work just as well as the Microsoft branded Chinesium pen that's MSFT approved.

I plan to just use it with Windows, since that's what I need for school.
I don't necessarily care all that much about the pen and 2 in 1 since I think I'll mostly use it in laptop form anyway. I can't wait, I need to get a laptop ASAP since my old one is fully dead.

Windows 10 is fucking garbage

>
>>No upgrades whatsoever
>I've literally never heard of anyone upgrading their PCs/laptops (let alone tablets) since 2009.
>If it's not good enough, toss it and buy a new one.

You sould talk to more people. I just upgraded my BlueIris server with more RAM and stirage.

T. Consumerist faggot. I have never owned a computer or tablet I haven't upgraded or fixed myself. Stop slobbering on cooperate cock. Be an adult and fix your stuff

> (You)
>I plan to just use it with Windows, since that's what I need for school.

Fair enough. The hardware is decent, no matter what OS you're running on it.

Remember two years ago?
>Who needs more than 2GB for office and web browsing?
>Why would you spend so much on an SSD? Just get a 7200rpm HDD it's fast enough for any use!
>A quad core? No man, a dual core is plenty, PLENTY, powerful for your use case!

1.5 years later the laptop is trashed in the growing pile of e-waste because disposable electronics are a more profitable business model and non-tech consumers will buy whatever is cheap and works for now. How long is 8GB going to last for any sort of intensive use? Will a 128GB disk still be enough by then? Are programs going to lean heavily on multi-core and make quad-cores obsolete?

Getting a laptop with any sort of expand-ability is a mission impossible today, since companies don't want you upgrading a 9-year old thinkpad to current standards for 1/5 the price of their shiny, glued-together throwaways.

I work for a hospital and my dipshit manager thought it was a good idea to give out around 40 surfaces. they all came back except for about 3 of them. we will not buy anymore surfaces. Theyre a good tablet and a bad laptop. and expensive. can't replace the battery as the thing is glued together. the dock was loose and caused issues. the soft keyboards broke all the time. ran in to a lot of firmware issues where we would have to upgrade firmware to fix hardware issues. Theyre all over the place for a >$1000 piece of hardware

Then just get whichever gets you satisfied, Dell XPS 13 has more ports if you need that, with Surface you have to buy the type cover or another bluetooth external keyboard to use it more as a laptop.

It's rare to find any laptop today where you can replace battery easily. Most manufacturer has removed that option.

we replace batteries on dells and lenovos all day

>Dell and Lenovo

Said most, not all.

Great. Guess you win the argument since i haven't opened up every laptop in existence. Aftermarket battery replacement is $$$ for companies. I think its irresponsible saying its rare to find any laptop when its most laptops that can have a battery replaced if you have a screwdriver.

You're talking about opening up the laptops, not comsumer laptops with just a latch to change the battery, sorry there is a difference.

New one is coming out in less than 2 weeks

Attached: EERs3IHWsAAA2DX.jpg (1940x1940, 1.09M)