Previous thread:
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Buying headphones?
>How to activate any version of Windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSC?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt

Attached: 1555700138464.jpg (808x446, 139K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pdfs.semanticscholar.org/9b01/a5d18bec8cd0fb3acd92ab5541b4abbda093.pdf
pdfs.semanticscholar.org/18af/b30494d89b701ca305f4218f375da11479c8.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_database
docs.pi-hole.net/main/prerequesites/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/72742243
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/72744777
durgasoft.com/
youtube.com/user/durgasoftware
logicalincrements.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

intel or amd cpu for office work? the Ryzen has a bit higher score on CPU Benchmarks

are there any good free video editors, or anything worth pirating?

depends on the work. intel's likely marginally faster for most realistic office tasks that are few-threaded, but amd is more efficient and cheaper. for most productivity tasks you just want screenspace and an ssd

This is unlikely to find an answer, but hope springs eternal.

I want to do a little collection of plant species with detailed taxonomy, bibliography, chemical yields, notes and shit, so I can crossreference profiles. So I'm curious if there is a standard to follow about having the most complete and organized profiles possible. Are there any digital standards about this? Maybe some official DB scheme to follow?

Attached: 74579849_p1.png (1712x2016, 704K)

Built a new PC wot red devil 5700 xt, started to benchmark and noticed that gpu fans spiked to 100%. I looked at the case and one cable was blocking one of the three fans. I took the cable out but I was wondering if I caused some permanent damage to my 500 euro GPU.

so i should get an ssd instead of hdd? it's laptop

I added a notification tone but long since deleted, yet it still shows up in the list every time I go into Settings -> Sound -> Default Notification Tone. Is there any way to clear it? Android 9.0, btw

Attached: Screenshot_20190917-093428.png (1440x2560, 146K)

I'm using qbittorrent, and it's either not seeding, or just very slow at it. Tried randomizing my port, but to no avail.

wat do?

A few quick searches turned this up, no idea how relevant it is in the field,
pdfs.semanticscholar.org/9b01/a5d18bec8cd0fb3acd92ab5541b4abbda093.pdf

If that first pdf wasn't to your liking, here is a relevant search to get you started
google.com/search?q="biological database" plant filetype:pdf

It comes from "biological database" in the first pdf's key words, which that seems to be the magic incantation for finding more information.
Here's some overviews on that.
pdfs.semanticscholar.org/18af/b30494d89b701ca305f4218f375da11479c8.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_database

Im downloading a torrent over a vpn, and its only going at like 1.5mb-2mb a second. This is much slower than my normal speed, what the fuck is going on?

Bandwidth is a rationed resource at the other end of your tunnel.

That kind of blows. I hate having to wait 10hours for a game to download

You can get it right now if you're confident in running faster than police cars.

well when you put it that way

When Im rendering video (4k, with a lot of processing like noise reduction) my gpu is only using 5gb of vram. Its a 1060 so im confused as to why theres a whole extra gigabyte doing nothing. Could it be a faulty memory chip?
Also does anyone know why my ram usage never goes above about 6gb in resolve? Ive got 16 available. I find it odd because cpu usage at least gets maxed out

>he fell for the qstalled meme

What is the minimum/cheapest Raspberry Pi required to run PiHole?

It doesn't say it's stalled or anything, it just seems to seed at a very slow rate. I had one torrent that grew it's ratio to 0.03 through the span of months.

You could run it on a pi zero for all it cares.

docs.pi-hole.net/main/prerequesites/

>got an e-book to learn from
>embedded files (2)
>javascript
>on-launch javascript
How do I safely read that pdf?

what do these numbers stand for in youtube-dl? at first I figured it was the bitrate, but they never match to the actual overall bitrate when I check in mpc-hc.

Attached: Untitled1.png (819x454, 42K)

On the other end of a hypervisor.

it's the average bitrate

Why would someone want to compile a program from the source code, as opposed to just installing it from a package manager? Are there actually any benefits to compiling it from source yourself?

Is it possible to refurbish a 5+ year old laptop and make it run fast as it was?

Blog cred.

Why is Satanichia in the sticky? Who died?

You can play with compile options to make it run 1% faster.

what is the difference between overall and average bitrate?

By the way, there is no way this is true either, because I checked it on a file that said it was 8800k, but watching it, that bitrate seldom got above 2500kbps, and not once over 3k.

if you run youtube-dl with -j and dump the info as json the field for these numbers is "tbr" which is the average bitrate of audio and video.

>Why is Satanichia in the sticky?
It got put in the sticky during the sticky memes 2 days ago and the anti-apple alliance liked it so mods put it back after restoring the sticky.
>Who died?
RMS's reputation. More on that here

I don't understand, it clearly isn't the average bitrate since it doesn't get anywhere near those numbers.

Test it yourself on a file, open it in MPC and look at the overall bitrate, or play it and look at the live statistics.

Is there anyway to make a site-specific configuration in Firefox's about:config or a userscript for it to force the mobile view on desktop or vice versa?
Replace CPU/GPU paste, clean fans and install the OS on a SSD instead of a HDD that it probably came installed on.

If you check youtube-dls source it's the TBR value, even if it doesn't match up.

Stick memes? I guess I missed something fun. Thanks.

it's probably just a guess. since videos are encoded with variable bitrate there's no way to tell in advance.

somebody pls

what does that mean?
this sounds likely.
I'll say it youtube-dl is accurate for a site like adultswim, but the numbers on youtube are all kinds of fucked up.

Eh, it was OK. They booched the code tag explanation twice.
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/72742243
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/72744777

I suppose that's because a portion is being used to show the image in your screen, and the almost 5 GB being used for the compression is being shown as 5 GB (actually 5.x GB).

Who the fuck is that pajeet? Eh, I guess it doesn't matter. Thanks again.

I feel like a complete retard for saying this, but I've adjusted my monitor's settings and the color looks much better, but the whites are way too bright for me. Lowering the brightness messes with the colors, so it's not as simple as just lowering the brightness. Any ideas?

Nagoor Babu "Durga" Sir, notable Java guru.
durgasoft.com/
youtube.com/user/durgasoftware

Orange tinted glasses.

>but they never match to the actual overall bitrate when I check in mpc-hc.
Because the numbers YT reports are often imaginary. It's a pain in the ass, as the reported bitrate is used to decide which stream has the highest quality. In reality it's safer to look at the stream size.

Sometimes you want special build configurations. Also depending on your distro's repositories you might need to compile a program as the corresponding package is too old or simply not present.

any more common solution? I got no VM on my current computer

Use a friend's computer?

Somebody? I get this thing where a peer occasionally appears, but disappears immediately.

Is there anything on your computer hogging your bandwidth?

My audio has fucked up somehow, only my right speakers has any sound.

I plugged my headphones in the left speaker and the headphones both work.

Any ideas?

Doesn't seem like it.

Why does Jow Forums x nuke the images on Jow Forums?

Does anybody know of a working service to fake a mobile phone number for twitter verification?

Attached: 1568137275730.png (815x1154, 647K)

try playing something from your phone through the speakers and see if the problem still happens

try the contrast settings?

Yeah I already tried that with my tablet, both speakers work.

in that case fuck with windows' sound settings, you might have enabled something you don't want

That's just how Linux works.

It's Windows 10.

Oh. Switch to Linux. It won't improve your audio but at least things will be working as intended.

Like brightness that messes with all the other colors. I just want to dampen the whites, if that's possible.

so i'm trying to apply for my first real IT job (admin /system administration) . just finished my degree.

what are some must know technology that must be on my CV? already have a bunch of servers that i have deployed (lamp/lemp, gitlab , voip, dns, that type of stuff), docker, git knowledge, CISCO routers, firewall knowledge, linux. missing something critical? maybe chef/ansible?

Vomiting all that on to your CV looks busy.

Not a Jow Forums regular so forgive me if there's somewhere else I can find this information already. I own a support company and recently lost my supplier. I haven't had to look for one in years and I'm not sure where to go now to purchase workstations, etc. Right now I'm using Amazon but I don't love it. Is there a better source I can order from? If it's relevant I'm based out of Texas.

Sorry for the repost but I recently stayed in a hotel in London and am also currently in the process of redecorating -moved into a new place.

My missus wants to see if I can replicate the lighting controls from when we were away. Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo and had to pull a shitty one from their Google maps listing. Basically, there's a touch panel on either side of the bed that toggled between 4 preset lighting zones increasing in intensity; under bed, over bed, whole room, and bathroom - as well as a separate reading light for both sides of the bed.

Most of this was done with LED strip lights although the overhead lighting was all flush mounted bulbs.

I've got a couple of Raspberry Pi 2b & 3s knocking around, as well as some Arduino Nanos. What would be my best option for building my own lighting system? I'd rather avoid a commercial system.

Attached: unnamed (1).jpg (358x207, 27K)

do modern tvs support chroma 444?

>its the another day of 12 hours lurking, 1 hour of real work
How do I fix my obsession with constantly checking Jow Forums?

Attached: 1567635290678.jpg (394x544, 145K)

Yes 100%. SSD is worth every penny. Such an insane boost in both speed and durability

There's a program called Cold Turkey. Have you tried that?

I will.

I noticed what appears to be yellowish heat stains on my iPad charging cable. Should I replace it? Will Apple?

How concerned should I be about spyware in Chinese hardware? Is it safe to buy ThinkPads now?

Addiction, Procrastination, and Laziness: A Proactive Guide to the Psychology of Motivation by Roman Gelperin

Doesnt work on Linux it seems

add Jow Forums to your /etc/hosts

My brother just bought an old PC with a phenom 2 965, 16gb Ram, and a gt210 graphics card. How bad did he fuck up?
Granted he only spent $10 on it but I have my doubts as to whether it will be useful for, well, anything lmao.

I told him to take the eBay surplus office box pill but he didn’t listen.

Are recovery mode and safe mode considered different?

Adios

well that doesnt work.

your doing it wrong or the Jow Forums page is still cached.

127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 facebook.com

on firefox do
ctrl+f5
to force an hard refresh

I have 965+16gb+R6770 and it's perfectly usable.

Recovery usually refers to a system for repairing or replacing your OS, whereas safe mode is just a way of booting into your OS in a minimal mode with as little side shit as possible.

Have had Windows 10 LTSC for a couple of months now but it has been messing up for me big time the last couple of weeks. I'm getting some random process (very varied which one it is) take up towards 100% of CPU usage and crash my PC.

I'm aware that regular Windows 10 users had a patch which messed it up for them but that shouldn't even be a factor when it comes to LTSC seeing as it shouldnt be updating itself right? I've tried about a dozen different things to fix it but still getting the same issue (plus ability to do settings randomly disappearing, for instance cant use display settings anymore) and I'm about ready to uninstall this POS OS and do regular Windows 10 instead.

Anyone here who is using LTSC and not experiencing any problems with it?

How fucked is my HDD if it makes two beeps then a loud beep at startup? It's a Seagate Barracuda. I used SeaTools, and while it seemed to detect the harddrive, none of the fixes worked.

Reasonably good PC if you put a SSD and a modern video card in it. Maybe really loud if they didn't put a lot of money into power & cooling, which they probably didn't if they're willing to let go of it for $10.

Are the cheap LTSC keys on ebay legit?
Also how do I even install LTSC, I'm retarded so it's kind of confusing me.

Is there any way to recover deleted Jow Forums thread from Firefox cache?
I have a fun thread opened that just got purged by jannies.
Archives missing couple of last posts. And i have the layout of achieving sites.
I want to save authentic copy of a good thread so i could read it in the future.

So, when i press CTRL+S and try to save the page dumb fucking Firefox tries to re-download page from Jow Forums servers instead of extracting it from the cache.
Is there any way to fully recover page from cache? Or at least force firefox extract pages from cache instead of re-downloading them in future?

pic unrelated, just to get some more attention because people never reply to my posts here

Attached: 1568172144224.png (816x1246, 595K)

There's a way to uninstall unused visual c++ versions off windows without broking everything?

You don't. I tried it myself but then I realized Jow Forums is the only thing keeping me sane.

If I were gonna put a R5 3600 on a B450 Tomahawk, what 16GB RAM kit should I go with that's not too expensive?

try printing it as pdf
or just screencap the thread
or copy the posts and save them in a text file

Abso-fucking-lutely!

If you have an m.2 slot, you could use an SSD for boot and keep your HDD for storage. If not, just replace the HDD with a 2.5" SATA SSD

has anyone used the kobo libra h20?
considering replacing my paperwhite with one because I like physical buttons and want to get off the amazon ecosystem
looking for any gotcha's or other things to worry about
already use calibre to manage my kindle library

My audio and video are going out of sycn YouTube, Twitch, etc. on Firefox. What do. Disabling hardware acc. did nothin''

Trying to write a bash script to launch a c program but only under certain arguments. How the fuck do I compare $# to make sure I only pass two arguments or one?

Probably not, and just like any other version of windows.

LTSC is pretty much the only version that doesn't authorize via keys.

logicalincrements.com/