Seems legit

computerworld.com/article/3438856/call-me-crazy-but-windows-11-could-run-on-linux.html

Attached: Windows 11.jpg (950x245, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

windowscentral.com/windows-core-os
lwn.net/Articles/603865/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_2:_Lost_Coast
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Stupid article but everyone knows Microsoft is keen to do this kind of thing anyways.

do they mean BSD? would the GPL license prevent them from selling it?

>would the GPL license prevent them from selling it?
There's nothing in the GPL that says you can't sell your software. You simply have to make the source code available to anyone you distribute to. Microshit would just take on the RedHat model and sell support.

>You simply have to make the source code available to anyone you distribute to.
and allow other people to modify it and ship themselves. it's a business killer.

Works for RedHat.

Windows 11 will be called CoreOS, will only run windows store apps and will only run on completely locked down hardware.
windowscentral.com/windows-core-os

>will only run windows store apps
Great way to lose all your consumers.

There will be no Windows 11.
If there is another mainstream MS OS, it will be Microsoft Cloud-based Botnet Always Online SaaS Edition.

Attached: 1552339235493.png (1091x954, 370K)

The consumers will be forced to switch to it because Walmart won't sell windows laptops any more. MS will force the OEMs to install CoreOS and won't sell home licenses for windows any more.

This.

Cloud computing will eventually be king. Users will have a tiny very underpowered device that can only effectively receive and stream video, sending commands back to the cloud server. The OS, all installed programs, and data will be on the cloud server. Think of something Raspberry Pi Zero type level of hardware that only needs to receive a 1080p stream. Yet, the cloud computing will give it access to super computer levels of processing.

There are gaming services that allow you to do this very thing right now. Depending on where you are located and how good your internet it, they can be pretty formidable or shit due to lag times. You can also use an OS function, 3rd party program, or service to setup your own cloud-based processing system between two devices you own. You could slave a beefy gaming rig to a shitty underpowered device so you can play AAA level games and programs that are massive resource hogs. You can use that over LAN or access it from remote locations around the world if needed.

Now imagine Microsoft doing this, but charging people for the service by month/year/processor cycles/storage amount or whatever.

Literally a Stallman dystopia story.

Same guy also posted a "Stallman is pro Epstein" article.

It's already happening with a lot of business software. Everyone will be cucked by the cloud in the future.
Shit like AWS or Azure is wide-spread already

EMBRACE

EXTEND

EXTINGUISH

Attached: billyG-dab.gif (400x400, 913K)

Some fields like translation literally require absolute ownership of their files so imo there's always going to be options. Bear in mind that most agencies aren't multinational companies and resources are limited; it may become even more niche, but the computer as we know it still has a lot of mileage.

This is the way to get anti-trust shit.

Need to design FPGA computer to run Temple OS.... With WiFi, because God told me so to do.

Then they just need to merge with AT&T, Verizon, Chevron and ExxonMobil.

Attached: 1563462680602.jpg (331x331, 16K)

All this dependence on the cloud, but the state of network infrastructure is abysmal.
AT&T and Verizon (now Frontier) have neglected large portions of their physical infrastructure. The cable ISPs are a meme for having poor service. Price hikes and unreliability are all people expect, not to mention a complete lack of competition in last mile delivery. 5g only makes sense because of the level of neglect in our infrastructure.

Cloud is a precarious position for all except large businesses who can afford the scale of network infrastructure required to have any appreciable degree of fault tolerance.

Attached: Verizon-Poles-640x436.jpg (640x436, 76K)

These. Cloud computing will be eternal and will never be stopped. Nobody will ever own anything ever again and the cloud dystopia will last forever. Nobody will fight back. We will all surrender. Literally everyone agrees it's over.

They will. In 15 years data will be fast enough so that everything will be on the cloud.

>there's always going to be options.
There won't be because everything will be on the cloud. Did you read the post?

Call me crazy, but the Holocaust was a hoax.

They'll make it work, because they always have a plan. See for our inevitable future. Submit to the cloud or be ostracized.

>Submit to the cloud
I would
But the infrastructure is insufficient.

>something will happen
>it may not, because so and so
>no no it will happen
Did you read mine? My agency did not choose to update to windows 10 due to security concerns and will likely jump to a Linux distro soon. It is an industry standard.

Doesn't sound that crazy at all:

>Windows 11 will be called CoreOS, will only run windows store apps and will only run on completely locked down hardware.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA WINDOWS 7 NIGGERS ETERNALLY BTFO

MS should just merge windows with wine

>but the computer as we know it still has a lot of mileage.
Oh really?

Attached: 577874_555336131153088_1035548107_n.jpg (960x960, 222K)

Ahah, no. Win32 API is their biggest treasure, even though it lost value with time.

see
They want to get rid of win32

They could rebase their OS onto the Linux kernel and run Wine for legacy software while having their own app store for everything else yeah.

Considering how many people know the MS and Windows name and logos, any company that attempts to do the same legally would have some trouble, since they cannot implement trademarked and copyrighted design elements. I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to do something like that but shift most of their major software like office to subscription based services.

>the infrastructure is insufficient.
Yeah, that's the big thing where I live. Evidently the whole fiber optic thing died out.

I unironiclly see nothing wrong with this
There is nothing you can't otherwise run just because it has to be a store app
Win32 can be distributed on the store

It takes 10 seconds of reading about UWP to realize they are not getting rid of win32

... I explicitly started the way it would exist and the reasons for it. Obviously the masses will fall prey to memes.
You people just can't fucking read. Duck you all.

>There is nothing you can't otherwise run just because it has to be a store app
The problem is that MS gets 20% of every sale in the store.

turns out it works just fine.
Also windows on the desktop does not make that much money from non-oem sales.
they mostly make money from services and windows server/enterprise

Well yes, they most likely made that strategic decision without overtly telling it, from the fear that businesses relying on Microsoft products would move as quick as possible to a new platform from the uncertainty surrounding Win32. Because for these businesses, Win32 is still relevant. Microsoft just want these businesses to make the transition to their new platform seamlessly. Then, Win32 will finally be dead.

You misunderstand. Things change to the point where the access and software are so proprietary that they exclude older style devices, despite those older style devices still having the power to perform the same tasks. Because, the masses dictate where the focus will go, devices like standard desktop PCs are getting knocked out of every day life. They are becoming the niche devices once again.

What platform are they going after Win32?

Again,

You are aware Windows store apps includes Win32 apps right?

Yes, and the transition will take decades.

This. Desktop PCs will die forever and nobody will use them anymore. Everything will be on the cloud forever.

dont they just have to make the source of the modified parts of the kernel available? like how apple does it with macos

So nothing to really worry about

Its largely not happening to business software. Only servers which were cloud anyway since the primary users were consumers accessing them from their own machines. that's really happened is that it became easier to outsource the hosting. Cloud computing everything has too many disadvantages and costs for the provider. It's imperative that they offload as much work as possible to the client which is why client side rendering is still the favorite for complex websites. And if such a thing were to take off it would be at an app level. Above would be offering photoshop as a web app, it wouldnt be windows offering itself as a sevice, none of their partners would be aboard when they can have true multiplatform support just by making their entire product a website accessible from literally anything with no need to support different platforms besides their server platform

Wrong.Every 10 years or so, a new architecture emerges that changes the game. Cloud computing is reaching its limit; it's been around since 2006.

Just do the same that Google does to Android, if you want to bundle a machine with Microsoft services, you have to pay. Simple as that, otherwise you just get the Microsoft Linux thing that is useless for anything Windows related.

A common thread in these opinions is that the proponents have no clue what backwards compatibility is.
I've ascertained that they've had their minds rotted by decades of Linux or macOS use, and truly believe this "I MUST upgrade all my software every 15 minutes" mindset is actually perfectly normal.
It isn't, of course, and it's why these OSs have always had zero corporate traction (apart from muh flatpak'd webserver).

We already have CoreOS, it's Container linux

>Will Microsoft release a Linux based Windows? I don't know
I do.

Attached: 1426390486933.gif (280x210, 1.41M)

>and it's why these OSs have always had zero corporate traction
Yep, so much this.
Which retard believes that Ios or Linux have any corporate traction.
I mean can you think of ANY industry which almost exclusively uses these things, oh, wait, except for mobile phones I mean.

>and truly believe this "I MUST upgrade all my software every 15 minutes" mindset is actually perfectly normal.
Which OS is more notorious for YOU MIST UPDATE NOW Windows 10 or Debian?
Which FORCES you to update at every opportunity?

imagine getting paid to shitpost your fanfics in a tech blog

There's no fucking way they'd let go their backwards compatibility

that form is weak

So basically we go back to the old mainframe/terminal type of situation?

>replace NT with an outdated piece of shit called Linux.
Why would they downgrade the kernel? It's the only good part of Windows.

You can't use the Windows and Microsoft branding so it's moot either way.

People don't buy WIndows from a deep analysis of pros and cons, they buy it because it's fucking Windows and that's what the know.

But is it 2 legit 2 quit?

> Do editing or modeling or any real work on the cloud

Kill me

>I mean can you think of ANY industry which almost exclusively uses these things, oh, wait, except for mobile phones I mean
and every industry that isn't the desktop industry retard

I'm using LTSB for almost 4 years and had 0 issues what the fuck is that nigga about

I do that already for work. It is just like doing it at home only infinitely faster. Everything from compiling code to rendering models is like ULTRA FAST.

Yfw the next iteration of Windows is literally a Linux subsystem running containerized programs using the Windows Kernel and a Windows-esque DE to mask the underlying Linux system.

Not that that would necessarily be a bad thing.

Attached: 2hrrja8o4el31.jpg (910x847, 113K)

Show me where you can download Red Hat sourcecode to compile it yourself. Shit, you can't even get a free or pirated Red Hat install image. RHEL is not free by any measure; it's a proprietary OS.
>inb4 Fedora
No, I want RHEL, not Fedora
>inb4 but they're the same thing
See how it is impossible to get RHEL without paying? Suddenly you are aware that they're selling more than just support, and that RHEL is a proprietary OS.

RHEL is not a proprietary OS. RHEL uses Linux. If you pay for RHEL and they distribute it to you they are obligated to give you the source code when requested. That is how the GPL works.

Windows 11 is as feasible as Half Life 3.

Very nice post with zero proof that RHEL is free. I'm still not seeing it available for download anywhere.

You clearly don't know how the GPL works.

Look at this post of all the sourcecode of RHEL, publicly available! Wait... this is not it; it's actually nowhere to be found. I better believe this anecdotal evidence of some corporate shill then.

>Half Life 3
That released years ago.

Go back to your parallel universe.

Read the gpl you fuck stain!

How out of date is this information? lwn.net/Articles/603865/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_2:_Lost_Coast

Ever use a router? Chances are it ran Linux.

>request an evaluation
>"ara ara, it seems like you were asking for permission to use this free software (of which we are only offering a trial version, and definitely not the sourcecode either). then, how about you log in with your Red Hat account first?"
>try to make account
>turns out I need a business account
>try to make a business account
>I need to verify that I'm a real business
Which part of this respects my freedom, again? I just want the sourcecode of RHEL to compile it myself. As long as that is impossible to get, the core of the argument (that FOSS can be sold successfully, since people will not get it from a side-channel) has not been proven true.

>linux
>endless small shit breaking and progressively getting taken over by trannies and google, with endless breakoff distros splitting up a community
>powering pajeet code and code made by people dancing to music videos at work
>running on overpriced intshit hardware that has to be nerfed cause NSA backdoors dun fucked up and trashed performance with their government code

yep off to install netBSD. Computers are dead lmfao. Might as well use a commodore 64 and get better performance/efficiency.

Attached: satania laughing.jpg (1280x720, 73K)

Try to conflate TOP500 with desktop, to complete your freetard cope.

HL2 Episode 1.1/2.1 =/= HL3

Uh ok, centos exist, how is that possible if according to you rhel is proprietary?