/sfg/ - SailfishOS General

>What is SailfishOS?
SailfishOS is a general purpose Linux distribution used commonly as a mobile operating system combining the Linux kernel for a particular hardware platform, the open-source Mer core stack of middleware, a proprietary UI contributed by Jolla or an open source UI, and other third-party components.

>Supported devices (official)
Gemini PDA, Xperia X and Xperia XA2
jolla.com/sailfishX/

>Community ports
wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris/porters

>Resources
jolla.com/
sailfishos.org/
together.jolla.com/questions/

Attached: Jolla-Sailfish-OS-Sony-Xperia-XA2.jpg (1280x853, 1.13M)

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.xda-developers.com/lenovo-zuk-z2/development/android-sailfishos-t3692032
forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-xa2/how-to/guide-flashing-lineageos-16-0-sony-xa2-t3944964
openrepos.net/content/nieldk/wireshark
youtube.com/watch?v=xu8x0x1X9OM
youtube.com/watch?v=jqoxXsQ0sGw
github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/issues/1373
reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/d2vvz4/does_work_profile_work_in_lineageos_16/f05scmq/?context=3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Was last update any good?

I've got an Xperia XA2 with LineageOS.
Shill me why this is better.

It's not

Some parts of it aren't even open-source.

Bro I assfucked my brand new XA2 trying to install Lineage, the screen's completely ruined

Attached: 1568160758589.png (658x901, 64K)

This shit has me really interested. It sounds like this is literally the GNU/Linux phone dream system. Aside from the proprietary UI, which apparently is optional?, is there any catch to this compared to, say, the Purism Librem 5's Debian GNOME-based PureOS mobile or KDE Plasma Mobile?

>Was last update any good?

Define good. I couldn't send text messages from either SIM card after the update, until I put it in airplane mode rebooted it and took it off of airplane mode. Bulshit bug if you ask me. How in fuck the beta testers didn't see that bug is beyond me.
but it's nice they updated the Android libraries to Android 8.0.

>This shit has me really interested. It sounds like this is literally the GNU/Linux phone dream system. Aside from the proprietary UI, which apparently is optional?, is there any catch to this compared to, say, the Purism Librem 5's Debian GNOME-based PureOS mobile or KDE Plasma Mobile?

Yes, it only officially runs on certain devices, notably some Xperia models. My biggest pet peeve, and why it's not my primary phone, is the keyboard. It is absolute shit. The aftermarket third-party keyboards aren't much better, if they even work at all.

Is it up to par with Android, or even Windows mobile? Hell no!

Does it make for a pretty decent basic smartphone with very minimal bulshit third-party tracking? Yes, yes it does. Can you get the same out of pure Android OS? Yes I suppose you could.

I would love to use it as a primary phone. However, with the keyboard options being absolute shit, it makes it really difficult to make the switch.

Also, not sure what you mean by proprietary UI. Admittedly I'm not in the development channel of the product, but I wasn't aware there was another option for the UI.

Damn, the UI it's so sleek

go to xda, it should be possible to fix it
lineage is trash

Explain why it's trash

Have they finally some phones/tablets where it runs on the market?

Yes, in Latin America and Russia

Latino here, where the fuck can I find sailfish devices? Everything is android shills or ios faggotry

>Bolivia

Ugh, I'm not going back to that shithole. Thanks anyway, I'll see If I can somehow get one of these devices in a less uncivilized country

no quality check, slow security updates if any, code poorly written, no secure boot

Hmm, porting this to the ZUK Z2 sounds like a fun project, might try to do this one day.

Stop these stupid "generals".
Delete your thread OP, barely anybody cares, definitely not enough for a sustained discussion.

If you want to discuss a topic make a thread about that topic and only if there are multiple continuous threads is there any point for a "general'.

Read the OP. There's something about a proprietary and an open source UI

Nemo/Glacier UI is open, Silica is proprietary

It's a standard gnu/linux distro with proper glibc (on top of libhybris, but even purism is going libhybris as only android drivers are available). Terminal and root access is available from settings just turn developer mode on, you can git clone/make most things on the phone (but no X, so wayland needed)

PureOS will very likely be binary compatible as both use wayland with libhybris, not sure if they are also using jolla's lipstick compositor (it's open source) or if they will be rewriting weston. Purism apps should easily run on sfos, the other way around sadly probably not

i wanna use sailfish as my main

am i dumb

depends how many android apps you need, as the android compatibility layer is bit buggy, so if some must-have app doesn't work you won't last long

bump

bump

Someone already made a port for the ZUK Z2: forum.xda-developers.com/lenovo-zuk-z2/development/android-sailfishos-t3692032

>Community port on Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
Where can i download it?
Does somebody test that?
I used Sailfish on Nexus 5 back in times, and like it, but i don't see any info for ZX1 Compact.

Probably it is an abandoned port

>uses systemd
dropped.

>muh sysV

I remember last time I upgraded RAM and video chip on my phone the init system gave me so much shit

All native apps are qml, so you can just use nano and modify them to suit your needs, also development on device if you like to tinker, for a daily driver it's probably not great if you rely on fb/ig/twitter/whatsap

>uses systemd
I will now install SailfishOS.

Poetterfag

Deal with it, systemd is the most user-friendly init system and it makes configuring a lot of stuff really simple.

Don't see the point of raging over init system on mobile devices, it just werks, you're not going to be customizing it anyway

same except I thought it was just not coming back so I took it apart for fun, and now that I found a fix on XDA after seeing your reply, it's the day of the rope.

>you're not going to be customizing it anyway
Speak for yourself. I'd like to customize my device's boot sequence. On Android, I have to do with really shitty shell scripts in /etc/init.d.

Well you can, just you're not connecting new hw that requires proper boot sequence, so seems kinda moot, maybe disabling some kind of bg service that is only useful for mobile use when you use the phone as always connected to power supply, but probably just better to uninstall the service altogether then, you have full root so you can if you want, just not seeing the use case

Stuff I like to do with systemd and that's a pain on Android:
- services that run on boot, including dependencies (e.g. run service after network is up and external storage is mounted)
- network links (especially multiple connections and VPNs, static routes)
- mounts (Android's SD mounter only supports FAT32 or its own customized dm-crypt+ext4 thing that is nontrivial to use elsewhere)
- scheduled tasks
- decent syslog management
etc.

Ok, good point, all services I ever installed worked fine as last, I guess with rootfs encryption incoming this might be even more impactful

WHAT WAS THE FIX
Please help an XA2 brother out
My screen's fucked and voice assistant keeps shouting at me
I'm on the verge of yeeting it into the woods

Attached: 1567721426195.png (1920x1080, 2.78M)

Further to my previous (in the unlikely event anyone actually cares), I think my options are:
>Trying to get back to Stock with Emma, (though I've already tried that and the screen's still fucked)
>Trying the dev's special version of TWRP (which only works with Oreo firmware?)
>Trying to get back to stock with XperiFirm instead of Emma
Do I need to successfully restore stock to slots a and b for either slot to work?
I'm starting to hate this thing
By contrast my old Samshit (from which I was attempting to upgrade) is indestructible and as complicated as a brick

Attached: FaleroLR_DabbingFairie.jpg (3200x1784, 943K)

shit, i have an xa2 i got on the cheap but it's vendor locked.

I'm not any of the people you were replying to and also I'm an iPhone user, though I used Android phones in the past, and I did install Cyanogen on something many years ago.

You're saying Lineage is bad. I've never dug around in the code so I have no idea whether the code is bad, but when I used Cyanogen it was at least semi-functional. I guess the point is that surely Lineage is the best option for a custom ROM, because it's the most actively developed and it supports tons of devices.

I just looked at this Sailfish and it only supports a handful of devices, and you have to PAY for Android app compatibility it seems, and people in this thread have said it's buggy.

So surely if you had an Android phone, Lineage is still the best option for a custom ROM. Or you could just stick with your vendor ROM which will probably have the fewest bugs of anything for your device.

follow this guide: forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-xa2/how-to/guide-flashing-lineageos-16-0-sony-xa2-t3944964

Sailfish is not a custom rom, it's a different operating system, it's not just degoogled android, it has full glibc, so you can recompile/run normal linix software (yes there are other c libraries than glibc, whatevs)

linux*
Here's an example:
openrepos.net/content/nieldk/wireshark
Full blown wireshark running on sfos, transmission is out there too, it's a linux device just as purism promises, they will be reinventing the wheel in some regards

I knew a guy who used to work on this system. He creamed in his dog every night. No joke, one time he fingered her forgetting I was in a call with him. He was also a reddshit reeking Jow Forums user. Fun guy

>I'm not any of the people you were replying to and also I'm an iPhone user, though I used Android phones in the past, and I did install Cyanogen on something many years ago.

At least you're not one of those Jesus Phone cucks who can't accept the fact there are other brands/ OS flavors out there.

>I just looked at this Sailfish and it only supports a handful of devices,

iOS supports even less mobile devices and those are all from one manufacturer. You get what the mothership tells you to get.

>and you have to PAY for Android app compatibility it seems,

Oh noes! PAYING for something like software! You think you aren't paying for the software on the other OS flavors? You are, it's just built into the handset's price. If anything, Sailfish can truly be free if you don't need Android support

>and people in this thread have said it's buggy.

Yes, it has a few bugs. I won't argue that. But they're not crippling bugs and generally they get solved fairly quickly by Jolla. Sometimes the community devs come up with a fix before the official bug fix(es) released by Jolla. Don't think you can do that on the Jesus phone... Not without jailbreaking.

>Or you could just stick with your vendor ROM which will probably have the fewest bugs of anything for your device.

This I agree with completely. No OS is perfect. Mobile or no. Best we can hope is for something that runs well on the platform written for, and hope that it doesn't call home every time we fart. Yes, I know, there are way of mitigating that potential issue as well.

>don’t complain about our problems because look at them over there!
You need to go back.

The poster himself brought his iOS/android history, not sure why bringing conparison to other platforms would be bad as you suggest (not the guy you reolied to, just seems snarky without good reason)

>Sailfish can truly be free if you don't need Android support
Are updates also free? FAQ page isn't clear

Yeah, android support is just an extra package, system updates are every month or so and even jolla 1 from 2014 is getting them

I'll give it a shot, thanks for the link
It's been an absolute nightmare, I bought it new as well

Attached: 1566030409393.jpg (720x644, 56K)

>>don’t complain about our problems because look at them over there!
>You need to go back.

Wasn't wagging the dog. As >Sailfish can truly be free if you don't need Android support
>Are updates also free? FAQ page isn't clear.

Don't think so. But this doesn't detract from being able to get it for free. And if you really really want updates but don't want to pay for Android support and auto updates, hell, just flash the new update manually.

>The poster himself brought his iOS/android history, not sure why bringing conparison to other platforms would be bad as you suggest (not the guy you reolied to, just seems snarky without good reason)

Attached: SmartSelect_20190918-093549_Chrome.jpg (1301x486, 129K)

Updates are free, if your community edition somehow has fucked up gui/ota updates just ssu release xyz/version --dup

no problem :)

Do I need an account to install Sailfish and use the official app store?

does nexus 5 port still doesnt support android apps?

Jolla store requires jolla account, but best software is on open repos and it doesn't require any account/login works just like addrepoing

I believe there was some pirated solution for nexus, but not sure as never used it, there are open source attempts at getting android apps working like andbox, but they recently moved to flatpaks and no idea how realistic it is to get them running on sfos atm

anbox*
youtube.com/watch?v=xu8x0x1X9OM
Old as hell, but in theory it would be free android apps for community editions

Why the fuck would i use a OS that only supports these 3 shitty phones?

>Why would I use superior tool if it only works on x number of hw?
You gotta start eating shit dude, 400bil flies cannot be wrong

tell me what's superior on sailfishos than android+termux

Can git clone/make anything, can edit qml files to adapt any app I use to my preferences not spamming Jow Forums with endless kuroba do x for me shit threads, free from google botnet, proper linix distro... It just goes on android babby

Run full wireshark on your android, how about transmission, QtCreator, can you even code an android app on android device outside of hello world?

I want to buy a Sailfish OS device in Europe, though?

You can buy the Gemini PDA or Xperia X/XA2 and then install SailfishOS

Buy an xperia x or xa2 no need to use vpn for the license then if you don't need android

Bump

Funny part is purism using libhybris/wayland and most other things from jolla stack was hoping for that incel rapist stallman guru to give it a go ahead, that's cancelled, only russia now

Xperia XA2 review (with SFOS): youtube.com/watch?v=jqoxXsQ0sGw

Go away leszek you sjw, you killed stallman

Anyone tried zeronet on sailfishos?

Do we know if something like the XZ1 Compact could get sailfish?

One of the community ports should work?

Supposedly pure python so should work?

I'm not Leszek lol

Purism is using GNOME3 compositor.

They are saying a lot, with not a single piece fo software showcased, I totally expect them to throw a KDE plasma on people and complain when people complain there is no dialer - just fucking run kde dialer you nonce

oh sorry gnome3 dialer of course, that will fix it

Still need to give it a go, but should, twister was a blockchain twitter clone and it worked aside from needing almost 1gb to download the chain with all logins, i guess there is a price to pay for being uncensorable

I bought an XA2 because it was on sale at the supermarket and my phone was broken. Did I make a good choice? How come it's one of the few phones that support Sailfish and has official LineageOS support too?

sony came up with something like 'open hardware devices program' and they opened bootloaders to X line of devices, which is why sfos is on x and xa2, good target for a port and doesn't require extra hacking on top

Ah I see. I hoped there was some other reason like the phone being secretly great. However it makes sense that people who want to tinker around with phones prefer a €150 over a €800 one

price is not really a factor, if huawei release their 800$ phone with open bootloader you will most likely see both sailfish and ubports and probably even purism ported to it

so besides living in some third world shithole you also want to have next to no apps and use a piece of shit outdated god forsaken mobile os?

>price is not a factor
I believe that people are more likely to make good ports or official releases for cheaper phones rather than more expensive ones. Who the fuck buys a €800 phone only to change the software himself?

>outdated god forsaken mobile os
Development is slow but active, Jolla doesn't have the same resources as Google or Apple.

That's amazingly close to truth, if you want android apps, you don't want sailfishOS, there are pretty good apps for Jow Forums, reddit etc, but if you need full app experience you're not linux enthusiast as even on fucking desktop linux it sucks vs windows/mac

there was like a gold phone with gems encrusted that ran sailfish, I think like whole 3-04 were produced, yeah, there are freaks that will pay for this shit not only with android kek

I'm waiting for the Fxtec Pro 1. Should support Sailfish officially

I use SFOS as main for >1 year now just fine. I don't use apps so the lack of them does not effect me.

Attached: SailfishOS.png (1512x970, 1.91M)

>Implying that this would be my main device.

No user, I just want one to fuck around

Look in the LineageOS XA2 XDA thread. There's a 'magic' TWRP image you can "fastboot boot" into, and it fixes the screen.
What I would recommend is that you return your XA2 while you can, and get a Moto X4 or something instead.
XA2s are very easy to brick, and besides the soul-crippling horseshit I personally went through, the LineageOS XA2 dev literally advised me against getting another XA2 because of how shit they are.
Meanwhile, installing/using LineageOS on my Moto X4 went flawlessly.

BTW, random tip - do NOT use an app called 'Shelter' from F-Droid if you're planning to make TWRP backups - the app's work profiles WILL screw up your backups: github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/issues/1373
If have Shelter and you want to remove the work profiles, follow the in uninstall procedure on their github, and then run these su commands to make sure the work profile is gone:
reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/d2vvz4/does_work_profile_work_in_lineageos_16/f05scmq/?context=3

Name 1 app that isn't on SFOS that you need that isn't degenerate or a game?

Maps? Openmaps. Google maps works fine in browser.

2 factor? It has googles 2FA available as an app

Attached: GPDA_Debian_Split_.jpg (1920x1440, 1.11M)

>Should support Sailfish officially
community edition at most, they are no longer wasting time on few K run devices, GeminiPDA was officially supported, without android layer and few other bits

Thanks for the advice
I'm about to Newflash some Xperifirm firmware, following the steps kindly linked by I'll be sure to avoid Shelter if I ever get it working
I really like the XA2's hardware but this a/b crap is driving me mad
If it's dead I'll get a second hand A5 2017; never had a problem with Samsung devices

Attached: 1565297295695.png (785x644, 65K)

Good luck, man... with the XA2, you're going to need it.
Honestly, Shelter seemed like a great app - it's unfortunate that someone shit the bed along the way and made it incompatible with TWRP.

bump