/hpg/ - Headphone General

What audiopedophile memes have you fallen for this week, Jow Forums?

How to request purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/wPnpxo5
pastebin.com/EiGEsAzU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

so now I'm torn between the ATH M40X, the Takstar Pro 82 and the MDR V6

what's the best choice /hpg/, pic unrelated

Attached: Unknown_Dungeon_B1F_Y.png (512x320, 9K)

>when you see a fuckboy wearing airpods
I literally have to say "Yuck!" out loud!

Lol

1(one) for SUMMIT Fi

Attached: CCFFC455-3E7B-471E-9C4B-1FA1666B0CF8.jpg (2969x2684, 1.4M)

Meant for

What does /hpg/ think of the upcoming M1070? Any speculations?

Attached: M1070.jpg (1200x900, 151K)

whoa some mod really hates minors

Why are there so many subjective opinions and reviews?
How do I know what kind of sound I want? Should I just get a bunch of different $100-$150 headphones?
If I like SHP9500 and hate Takstar Pro 82, should I even bother with other closed headphones? I could get CD900ST from Japan at no additional shipping cost.

Doesn't surprise me. The pics OP chose were rather risque and very problematic. It has nothing to do with headphones and appeals to a sick fetish. Mods did good on this decision.

>problematic
>>>>>>/sjwland/
Just fuck off cunt
>sick fetish
It was a cute picture you sick fuck

Audio is very subjective to begin with. No human hears the same and your ear has its own resonance different to someone elses ear, so everyone responds to a different headphones differently. That's why you should always demo headphones if you can.

There's a reason YouTube started deleting timestamps and loking the comment section on certain YouTube videos that included childrens gymnastics or model shows. It may appear innocent to you but it can be fetishized by someone else, you never know what goes on in someone else's head.

We really need to punish these thought criminals

>3dpd
no wonder you people are disgusting
2d.5d>>>shit>>>>>dpd

We all know the real reason though. The battle between loli and shota fags has once again escalated. the op's in the future should stick to thread relevant pics like the last one to avoid future complications.

Attached: 1552766674015.jpg (2100x2000, 1.31M)

>The battle between loli and shota fags
It wasn't even a battle when it happened just like one time you retard. Stop exaggerating

Lots of deleted threads lately. Even the pic of this thread was deleted.

Or they can simply take turns at making the threads like (relatively) sane persons. Still, they probably got banned for spammin, shitposting or avatarfagging, so don't expect them here in a while (unless they're stupid enough to evade the ban and make a new thread with their usual pics).

Attached: image.jpg (500x500, 92K)

All I can tell you is that the Pro82 is guaranteed the comfiest of the bunch. Sound I don't know, I very much like how the Pro82 sounds though.

>so don't expect them here in a while
Stop acting like a newfag. it's because of the stallman situation

This is why you shouldn't wear electrostatic headphones, kids

>If I like SHP9500 and hate Takstar Pro 82, should I even bother with other closed headphones?
That depends on what you like the SHP and what you hate the TAK for. Closed headphones are never gonna have an enormous soundstage, maybe decent but never enormous, but in terms of imaging and frequency response you can find pretty much anything you prefer in both open and closed headphones.

It happens at least once every year trust me, I've been with hpg for a while.

retarded cat

Has anyone here tested a Koss UR40? It looks bretty gud for the price

>Koss UR40
Nothing Koss ever looked even remotely acceptable and those disgusting pieces of plastic certainly are no exception.
Soundwise I got no idea, but they cost like 40 bucks, just get the CAL! and be done with it.

Great point, I've heard they sound alright for the price point but the build quality is cheap.

What's the CAL! ?

Creative aurvana Live. You can get them for like 50 bucks regularly and they're amazing headphones for the price. Built relatively cheaply and isolation isn't great, but they sound plenty nice. Do not get the new revision. There's a version with purpleheart cups on drop for like 80 bucks but idk. if it's worth it, probably not.

Currently I'm waiting for my replacement earpads from aliexpress. The standard pleather ones aren't ideal and I love velours. Very much looking forward to aliexpress delivering me the goods.

That one looks good! What happened with the new revision? The one thing that interested me in the Koss was that it was semi- open backed, I don't know if it's just gimmicky though.

semi open back is a thing and it's viable, for example in the DT880.
If you want open back headphones, try getting something from Superlux or Presonus or whatever name they're sold under in your country.
The CAL2 just isn't as good as the CAL, they are said to be more comfy, but the original is just goat, there's a reason Denon adapted them in their AH-D1100.

The Superluxes are also very easy to modify as they're blatant ripoffs of akg and Beyerdynamic, the replacement parts for those fit on the superluxes as well.

Whats the difference between the jdslabs O2 to the one from 6_7 years ago made by NwAvGuy/sold by mayflower?

I didnt even think there would be a difference until someone mentioned something about battery model being desirable

at least it will beat Stax

Fuck anime pedo shit and fuck the Stax incels who post that shit.

Mods are gods

>makes the entire "hobby" of buying headphones obsolete

Attached: 5vpn8pwecxx11.jpg (7323x4884, 1.68M)

i see these 3.5mm stereo to 2.5mm balanced adapters. do those actually work? wont they just be plug adapters and not actually do anything?

don't forget the massdrop one

Gets converted to singe ended but it's more for being able to use your headphones with a portable device like a smartphone or switch/vita. Just don't do the opposite and try to plug a SE connection into a balanced output.

Attached: .jpg (800x1132, 289K)

Based

>Budget
150 USD
>Location
US
>Source
Schiit Fulla
>Type of headphone
Full size
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Maximum, I would wear this for 8+ hours a day

Isn't the Fidelio X2 considered to be the best until you look at +$500 headphones?

Another sendy aiwa clone. Much MUCH better headband and retarded connector for cables once again. QC issues out of the ass and may require modding. Looks dank tho.

Who fucking cares ? That shit did not belong on Jow Forums just like these e-celeb threads. We have boards for shotashit fuck off there. Next time post headphones you obnoxious faggots.

Literally no difference. Some providers just give you more options for outputs inputs and cases.

Why do we hate the ATH-M50x's?

It's the niggaphones

>Isn't the Fidelio X2 considered to be the best until you look at +$500 headphones?
Really depends on what you're looking for sound wise, the Fidelios are great mostly because easy to drive, meaning no amp requirement and low variance with one as well as not needing EQ out of the box to be tolerable, and have decent sound quality with a sound signature that is usually fine with most people , meaning Vshaped but no Beyer treble earrape or Beats basscannon.
Senheisers HD 600/650/6XX/58X would be other examples of good starter headphones although they really start needing an amp in my opinion so that's a minus.

There's other headphones in the 150-500 price range that you can definitely consider better than a pair of Fidelios depending on your preferences in sound signature but for that fun Vshaped sound can't think of anything else practical.

hd6xx for 210 usd flat. worth it?
they're 220 usd before shipping, taxes and customs on drop

hey guys post you're head phones

Attached: file.png (1763x521, 1.52M)

Haven't kept up with headphones for a while. Are HD800s still the soundstage/detail/imaging kings?

>buy HE-500
>falls apart into pieces after a year
>buy ikko OH1
>right channel dies after a few months of use, wait months to repair and bass seems weaker than before

I can't keep falling for this ChiFi shit, man.

I managed to keep my 668b alive for over 2 years, and that thing looks like it's gonna fall apart the moment you look at it funny.

>Another sendy aiwa clone
I don't think they'd ditch the M1060 driver out of the blue. If anything, it should have the M1060C driver with that focal-esque headband.
Not that I'd buy it tho, these didn't catch my attention.

user I'm not even sure I fully understand what soundstage and imaging mean.
I have two issues with Pro 82:
First I guess would be common to all closed headphones - the isolation causes minor discomfort, but I could try to get used to it.
Second is the sound signature - I don't like how instruments overpower the vocals, also makes them bad for movies and voip (gaming). With SHP it's easier to discern multiple simultaneous sounds and clearly hear the voices regardless of music/sfx. With music I tend to focus on vocals so I guess V-shape is the opposite of what I need, right?
I have an amp and I've been looking for reasonably priced HD 600 but there are none in my area and I don't want to buy used.
My friend used to have X2 and says the heavy headband and weak clamp made them slide forward and away whenever he looked down. Couldn't say anything about the sound.

>user I'm not even sure I fully understand what soundstage and imaging mean.
Soundstage means how much of an illusion of distance can the headphones give you
Imaging means how precisely you can pinpoint the direction and distance of said sounds
>My friend used to have X2 and says the heavy headband and weak clamp made them slide forward and away whenever he looked down
Can confirm, it's not too big of an issue and you can tone it down with aftermarket pads.

I'll end up selling my other headphones. Barely reach for them as of lately

Attached: file.png (798x636, 906K)

yeah thats about what i paid for my hd600

imgur.com/a/wPnpxo5

I did it bros. My first audiophile headphones.
What am i in for?
I had to upload the image on imgur becuase phoneposting

you couldnt save it to your phone and then post it? how new are you?
thats all i had to say really

uploading images is rangebanned on my phone ip :(

HD600 is the headphone you're looking for. Durable, neutral, all-rounder.
This is true even when unamped. An amp just makes it even better.

>What am i in for?
The beginning of your journey through Mid-Fi hell

>Pulls out your hair
Heh, nothing personnel

Fidelios are great, but I'd strongly recommend a HE4XX instead to most people. The X2 is a tad too basy for me, and on top of that, it's bass lacks speed, and by much.

Please, tell me you have an amp to drive these decently.

The 4XX is not a thing to consider when the Sundara exists.

It's the other way around actually

yes i also bought the liquid spark from monoprice

>better build
>better sound
>about 50 bucks more
>only one seller for new
Nah

>about 50 bucks more
The Sundara is 350, the 4XX is 180, the fuck are you smoking?

Not where I live, the 4XX has import and postage fee up the ass, hell it even sometimes comes up being a higher price than the Sundara.
And even with a much larger difference the Sundara is still better sounding and built that I'd never consider the 4XX.

>Not where I live
Nice goalposts moving bro.
>And even with a much larger difference the Sundara is still better sounding and built that I'd never consider the 4XX
Having listened to both, and having owned a HE4XX, in my personal experience, the Sundara's are terrible value. They're basically a redesigned HE400i, same driver, way more expensive, and with that junk headband (HiFiMan managed to make it worse than the older one, congratulations). The difference isn't even 10%.
You're way better off buying a used 4XX (since this way you'll be sure yours is working and doesn't have any QC issues), and saving up for a better headphone with similar traits, like the Ananda or a pair of used HEX.

Attached: file.png (1920x1080, 2.12M)

I can only find the Hifiman headphones for over 200€ while you can get the X2 for ~130€ (used, sometimes even below 100€).
This is obviously just about the price not about perfomance

At that price range, Drop HD58x.

>Nice goalposts moving bro.
>Usign the reference that are acceessible to you is moving goalposts

>Having listened to both, and having owned a HE4XX
So post purchase rationalization then, or you've never listened to anything that had bass on either which I doubt.
I don't even particularly like that sound signature but the Sundara is a clear improvement over the 4XX in the low end.

>They're basically a redesigned HE400i, same driver
Your point being? Or do you not realize that small changes can easily improve the sound?
>The difference isn't even 10%
That's pretty fucking massive for barely 150 bucks in the worst case

>and with that junk headband
Nah, maybe you got used to the older shit but coming from actually comfortable headphones this one is just better.

>You're way better off buying a used 4XX (since this way you'll be sure yours is working and doesn't have any QC issues)
And then you have to replace the pads, even sometimes the cable.

> and saving up for a better headphone with similar traits, like the Ananda or a pair of used HEX.
You can sell your Sundara for more than your 4XX in that case.

I wouldn't buy used for a Fidelio because it really just means you'll have to replace the pad immediately unless they were never actually used.

Other than that it's gonna depend on what you've used up to this point
If you're used to bassy headphones the Senheisers will sound a bit lacking until you turn up the EQ and the HiFiman might actually take a lot of getting used to

You'll want an amp with that, besides it seems the person you're talking to can't buy easily from Drop either so recommending Drop only shit is pretty useless.

>HD6XX
>needs an amp

My MiniDisc player can power them fine though.

Attached: IMG_20190918_142044-2016x1512.jpg (2016x1512, 552K)

The HD600 will sound good without an amp and better with one.
The HD58x... will very likely sound the same with or without amp. Way lower impedance, considerably higher sensitivity.

Amp requirements are not a volume thing, I can have adequate volume from a Sansa Clip on my T50RP doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Minidisc players are also not too shit in the DAC/Amp department from what I can remember.

>The HD58x... will very likely sound the same with or without amp
Doubt it, it might not be ass amp sensitive though

>Sundara is a clear improvement over the 4XX in the low end
An improvement? Yes. Worth the pricetag? Nah.
And I understand that your shithole has a different pricing than my shithole, but we need a common base if we're comparing these.

>That's pretty fucking massive for barely 150 bucks in the worst case
Not on my book. That's M1060 money, and even before mods, it's heaps and bounds better than both the Sundara's and the HE4XX's.

>And then you have to replace the pads
I said used, not worn out

>Buying repurposed HD 599 drivers within an HD 580 Jubilee enclosure
Haha wow, disgusting

>Worth the pricetag? Nah.
I mean I would agree with you if you didn't also mention the Ananda,

>That's M1060 money, and even before mods
I hope you mean 1060C, and even then while I agree with you that I'd take those over Sundaras (even though it also means I pay 450 for them) It's only because I prefer the added bass on those not because they have a better quality to their sound.
Just like for more or less the same reasons I wouldn't consider the 4XX over a modded T50RP

>I said used, not worn out
I don't like other peoples sweat germs / hairs on my skin and I certainly don't trust them to do a good job cleaning what they're selling either.

>€
>Drop
But recommendations are always nice
Depends how much they were used (sometimes it's just opened) but replacing pads shouldn't be an issue (I assume)

Got my HE4XX for 110 because broken box and broken cable. Got my HD6XX for 170 because guy didn't like the way it sounds. Got my K7XX on the way because guy didn't like the way it sounds.

Are Dropfags mentally ill?

stop shilling arya. it sounds good but it's still chifi. i need german.

Anybody have recommendations for memepod knock-offs with a small form factor?

I found some options so far:
pastebin.com/EiGEsAzU

>Are Dropfags mentally ill?
Not really, they just impulse buy shit a lot.
If you have disposable income and enjoy headphones it's just something you can do if you want, wouldn't have discovered quite a few neat headphones that way and up until now it really hasn't bit me i nthe ass except for the Takstar HF580.

>modded T50RP
Can you please elaborate?

>Can you please elaborate?
Really just Dekoni pads, I tired some shit with the back of the cups but never was satisfied with the results
If you can get a T50RP for around 100 (pads are 50-60) and like Vshaped with a lot of bass without any need for precision that's just the thing for you.
Problem is they are very dependent on amp for how they sound.
Premade mods are hard to recommend outside of the Modhouse Argons, technically the Dekoni Blue are just stock T50RP with Dekoni pads from what I've seen so if they're cheaper than doing it yourself it's not a bad deal.

I've been reading some reviews of the SR-202 that I recent bought (hasn't arrived yet) and from what the reviews say the bass isn't the greatest. Would they benefit from seal modding them?

Until it breaks due to chinkfiman "quality"

what headphone will make me a better programmer?

mysphere 3.2

>file deleted
Based fucking mods.

This basically. There's 2 sorts of these adapters. One is good to have but doesn't do what some people claim it does. The other is evil and should not exist.

Single-ended output to balanced headphone (normal 3.5 mm TRS male to 2.5 mm TRRS or 4.4 mm TRRRS female). This allows you to connect your fancy balanced headphones to ubiquitous 3.5 mm headphone jacks on smartphones, game consoles, hifis, airplanes, etc. It connects L- and R- both to the single-ended output's common ground, just like normal single-ended headphones would do. It DOES NOT give you ANY of the benefits of a balanced signal. Yes, you've split left ground and right ground further down the cable, but that isn't what makes it sound better. On a proper balanced signal, L+ and L- have equal but opposite signals on them, so that amp noise and any noise induced into the cable by EMF is induced equally in both wires and cancels out. This gives you none of that since you basically have L+ and 0, R+ and 0.

Balanced output to single-ended headphone (2.5 mm TRRS or 4.4 mm TRRRS male to normal 3.5 mm TRS female). Evil. Should never be made. Commonly sold to connect a balanced source to a normal single-ended headphone or an input on something else. This connects L+ and R+ to the L and R single-ended terminals, and then connects L- and R- both to the single-ended ground. This shorts L- and R- together. You'll hear your music but you're slowly destroying your amp. Similarly, don't connect your balanced output to left/right RCA inputs -- it may look like you have 4 separate pins but the ground sides of both are connected together so unless it's specifically designed to connect to balanced equipment, you're destroying your DAC/DAP/amp.

BlvckNoir BlackPods 2. They look, feel and act exactly like AirPods. They apparently even pair to iPhones in the same easy way, with all the proprietary Apple-only AirPod stuff working. But they cost less than half the price. And they're black.

>Balanced output to single-ended headphone (2.5 mm TRRS or 4.4 mm TRRRS male to normal 3.5 mm TRS female). Evil.
Interesting, I have a question though, say I have a pair of headphones with detachchable cable and also ahappens to have a cable per cup (single 6.35mm to two 3.5mm per cup) and I somehow a cable that is balanced (4 pin XLR to two 3.5mm) is this potentially bad and is there any way to know if this is bad?

>(single 6.35mm to two 3.5mm per cup)
Meant one per cup obviously.

Probably okay. If you have a multimeter, you can connect the cable up to your headphones and measure resistance between the 4 pins. L+ to L- and R+ to R- should both give you something at or rather higher than the nominal impedance of the headphones; typically higher because you're measuring impedance at 0 Hz, headphone impedance is typically measured at 1000 Hz, but it's just to confirm that these are connecting to each side. Then, more importantly, measure between L+ and R+, and between L- and R-. Since these should be separate circuits, the resistance should read as infinite ("0F" as my meter displays it). It's also acceptable if it reads some number in the megaohms as having all the wires together in the cable could form a weak capacitor, or more likely you're touching the connectors to hold the probe there, and are effectively measuring your body's resistance.

Either way, an evil cable will read 0 ohms between L- and R-, or L+ and R+ if they made it backwards.

Maybe they fixed the sibilance peak?
Please have...

...or between L+ and R- or L- and R+ if they not only made an evil cable but also got the polarity backward on one side -- this will not only kill your amp but make your stereo image all wrong while doing so.