EReader

I'm in the market for an eReader, and the Kindle Oasis and Kobo Forma have caught my eye. The deciding factor for me would be the hackability of the reader, as I'm not interested in subscribing to anything or paying for ebooks. are there any custom firmwares or resources I should look into?

Attached: forma-vs-oasis-1024x577.png (1024x577, 171K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/lgeek/okreader
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What is the best ereader you can get that doesn't connect to the internet or atleast isn't botnet.
If one had to get a modern ereader what's the best to strip it down of its botnet (custom OS, software, etc)

Buy an eInk monitor nerd.

Kindle is Amazon botnet.
Kobo is Google botnet (uses Google Analytics).
They send information of every book you read and every page you turn to their servers.
What you can do with either is put them in flight mode perpetually and load books on them over USB with Calibre.

Possibly of interest:
github.com/lgeek/okreader

Kobo is certainly more hackable than kindle, but you can load pirated books on either without issue anyway.

Kobo, you don't even need to hack it since it lets you copy ebooks over USB
If you find the internal storage isn't enough it's really easy to upgrade since it uses a microSD card that you can clone

Display should be 300ppi if you're interested in reading anything that uses images

>Kobo is Google botnet (uses Google Analytics).
They send information of every book you read and every page you turn to their servers.

Proof?

how would memory expansion work? if I can really swap out the 8gb for something a lot bigger then I would definitely say it's worth the price difference from the Kindle Oasis (on sale on Amazon atm.)

Not op but I'm pretty sure you can install a large sd card if you wanted.

Also Kobo just announced their new Libra h2o

With a Kobo you just pop the back cover off, remove the microsd, clone it to a bigger microsd on a PC, and slap the new microsd in it
Upgraded my Clara HD to 32gb of storage the first day I got it, use it to store all that mangu

so based on research apparently the Forma doesn't have an SD card making this not possible :'(.

lol get fucked. Just get a Clara HD, it has the same pixel density as the Forma at 300ppi

Thanks for the heads up, definitely choosing the Libra h2o over the Forma. Price is about the same as the discounted Oasis 2 and it's the same size screen which is good.

can anyone confirm if the new kobo libra h2o has sd card? I know the first one did, I assumet he 2nd version does correct?

Goodereader says that the internal memory is in fact an SD which can be cloned and upgraded up to 64gb.

wait a couple months, a year tops.

Attached: Einkpatent.png (1069x728, 156K)

I'm not familiar with patent law, what does this mean?

They don't have external SD card slots, but the internal memory is literally just a microsd

Is there any guide on how to properly open one up and copy partitions/OS etc. Everything I see if for older Kobo devices and I don't wanna fuck shit up.

Application to seek patent is dropped.

Chink eink tablets or even monitors would be allowed to be sold on the us.

so I'm guessing that means they're dirt cheap? eh, I'd rather something with some kind of build quality and aesthetic.

maybe the existing ones will drop in price because of the new competition?

Are you giving me a sarcastic attitude with that question mark or are you genuinely wondering if that would happen.

i'm genuinely wondering if that's going to happen. I want to buy one too.

well I'm traveling soon so I dropped the money for the Kobo Libra h2o thanks to this thread. not that expensive

I cannot find a single source on the newer generation Kobos having an internal SD card. No videos or forum posts, nothing. I get that the Libra only just came out but has no one pried open a Forma since it was released?

Or you could just get a Likebook that doesn't make you disassemble to add storage

Yeah but it won't look cute in my bag.

maybe it can't be opened up as easy? i would definitley stay away from it if there is no easy way to open it.

the back pops open with a guitar pick and the microSD comes right out of its slot. Clone it like you would any other drive, don't copy and paste the contents
And make sure the device is off obviously

Will this cause issues with the waterproofing?

Probably, but normal people don't read ebooks in the shower

It's nice to know in case you wanna read near a pool or have a lot of drinks around or some shit.

im new to this e reader stuff, which one to get?

Paint the inside edge of the case with rubber cement to create a gasket

PaperWhite 3

Kobo Clara HD

Likebook

likebook software is shit tho

Onyx Boox Nova Pro

>Kobo is Google botnet (uses Google Analytics). They send information of every book you read and every page you turn to their servers.

what?