/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming build skeletons and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to non-technically assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>AAA or multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric games or ray tracing: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - budget performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: 1366049107494.jpg (1632x1224, 343K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/2yKBDx
pcpartpicker.com/list/x8t7YH
youtube.com/watch?v=kM4P4RrExJ0
pcpartpicker.com/list/kC7Rsk
pcpartpicker.com/list/PXtxZR
pcpartpicker.com/list/jVJyp8
pcpartpicker.com/list/Wz89TC
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZVnp9G
pcpartpicker.com/list/NXHWGc
pcpartpicker.com/list/Z7Q2QZ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>LG makes one of the best monitors of 2019
>no fucking supply whatsoever
its almost like they absolutely hate money or something

Attached: PUNISHED.jpg (675x563, 97K)

>3950x or wait for threadripper
I'm dying

guys i'm scared

i feel this is the last chance i have to build a pc before WW3 starts

Should I wait till Black Friday to build my first PC lads?

Attached: image that makes me think for real.jpg (979x832, 54K)

Why

You can sleepy buy components now at best black Friday have deals on old, 2nd or 3rd tier things.

just bought my 5700xt red devil for $440
did I do good?

sleepy buy?

many things won't be on sale, but if you're flexible with parts like ram, psu, case, you can get some pretty great deals. if you can wait I would say wait. there's also several releases due for october/november anyways.

fuck you I've never even had a chance to buy one it's always out of stock

anyone here familiar with sff building?
I'm trying to find a decent sub 15L case with an acrylic (I'll even settle for glass) side
I'll spare no expense

you should turn on email alerts for when it's in stock

the second I get the alert it's already out of stock

Are ebay Xeons a meme?

There's very few actual comparisons of motherboards on the Internet that include all of the components

Like, what integrated sounds the best? Should you get WiFi included or put a card in later? Which LAN controller is the best? etc.

Where would I go to really autism out on motherboard components?

I filled in my order and it said it was in stock so I tried it again and it went through
maybe I fucked myself and glitched the site but I hope it worked

it said it wasn't* in stock
my bad

>what integrated sounds the best
as long as you get something decent you will never know the difference. audiophiles will insist you need a $2000 dac and $4000 amp but in blind trials everything moderately good is completely indistinguishable from the most expensive products. in general, if you have a good board your audio will be great.

tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html

>Should you get WiFi included or put a card in later?
get wifi. unless you have serious networking needs with a very specific requirement it's much better to have it integrated on your board, and you have more slots to use for other things if you want.

>Which LAN controller is the best?
too variable to answer and it depends too much on your use case

>Where would I go to really autism out on motherboard components?
if you're as autistic as me, where you go is the motherboard spec sheets and you know each controller. looking up specs is something you do yourself.

Just get a ryzen dumbass

yes, huge meme. unless you live in china and can get surplus parts or cheap boards you will end up with a lackluster pc for not much less than the cost of a modern budget build.

The 2060 6gb model is good value. Better value than the 1660, and can actually perform ok in all but a few games at 1440p.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-09-18 Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+ Review.png (1014x1059, 282K)

I can get a px79le and a e5 2690 for less than the price of a 3600

>still rocking a 4gb Fury X
It's EXTREMELY rare I ever hit the VRAM limitations. I can only recall one game where I may have.

High vram is a weird maymay.

ok but you realize that cpu is considerably slower than a 3600 right, and your are going to be using slow ram and a motherboard with zero features and bad support

pcpartpicker.com/list/2yKBDx

Getting some help from a friend on my first build, put this list together. Any suggestions?

Absolute maximum is $2000 USD.

how does this looks like Jow Forumsoys ? pcpartpicker.com/list/x8t7YH
i already have a hdd for mass storage and i got the gpu for 100 bucks from a friend

you're missing storage
youtube.com/watch?v=kM4P4RrExJ0
get a sabrent rocket, inland premium, or 660p
aio liquid coolers are a huge meme and perform worse than good air coolers for a higher price

most people would tell you to avoid gigabyte gpus, also that 2060 super is worse performance than a 5700 xt for a similar price. I assume you're going to reply how your friend wants raytracing minecraft

I would get an airflow focused case instead of something sealed up like that

seems fine, I would try to get a 3600 if you can afford it though the performance gain is worth it

also not a fan of that case but it is popular

Slowly buy.
Forgive my phone posting.

Are there any sales anytime soon I should hold off for other than BF two months out?

Upgrading from a 3750k to a 3700k but picking things up at full price feels dumb

You could just get the H510, it'll be cheaper since it's just a refreshed H500 and you'll have USB-C up top.
like said, a 3600 would be nice if you can swing the cash difference but good choice on the memory, that stuff can overclock to 3600mhz easily for when you want to upgrade to ryzen 3000.

I like sleepy buy better desu senpai

sleepy buy is based I will use that

why a liquid cooler?

>you don't write that much data!
>you will never reach 400TB of data written!
>buy this piece of shit youl never run into it's downsides!
Lol, me being super conservative what I write to an SSD, I wrote 1 TB per month, with very conservative usage.
If I actually didn't take measures to scale it down it would be more. If I actually used it as storage and wrote things there all the time, it would increase by 5-10 times.

Which means it would die around 3 years in. for the 2TB model.
and 1.5 years for the 1TB model.
This is while it's slower SSD on the market as well.
I don't know who cuck deals is marketing to, but assuming you actually use your PC, this is a questionable proposition, considering I can write endless data on my harddrives, and have better performing, longer lasting SSD for my more frequently used data.

Back to school sales happening currently at the store I was just at earlier today, probably still going for others too

Where can I start learning about installing a miner in an arm embedded linux device?

what do you do that you write 1TB a month of data? clearly you're not the average user if you download that much

the 1tb model has a 200tbw warranty, the 2tb has a 400 tbw model
even with your "conservative" 1tb written monthly, the warranty would last you 33 years

that is the guaranteed write life, the actual drive write life is longer

it's in stock on newegg, at least here where I live

I expect my SSDs to last a minimum of 40 years. Cuck deals is retarded. Now fuck off with your garbage drive.

I already have a whole list of components, but I have no idea if one component is good for my use case or not

I ideally want to get a mini ITX motherboard that's compatible with the Ryzen 3000, but cheaper so something like a B450 with a bios flashback

even then, it's a whole lot of choices

FWIW, I get a crackling sound with my realtek onboard when I use the microphone and several sources of output at the same time. I think it's just fucked, the issues I've had won't happen on another card

>Which means it would die around 3 years in. for the 2TB model.
>and 1.5 years for the 1TB model.
american math skills

>what do you do that you write 1TB a month of data?
Oh that's not even downloading anything.
That's purely from the system writting caches, systemfiles and other such shit while browising.
Browser restore/caches tear into your SSD like mad.
Again, if I actually just used my SSD willy nilly and didn't conserve, the actual amount would be 5-10TB a month.

Did you not read the rest of the post?
1TB is with the most savings on SSD write I could manage. Real use would be 5-10TB a month if I acutally used it freely, or if I didn't have a harddrive to delegate a lot of the storage/write shit.

what country are you from, because it's clear you can't fucking read.

pcpartpicker.com/list/kC7Rsk
I'd still get 1TB and run a few games you're currently playing off that instead of a HDD.

>Meshify c is over $100 USD again
>Sold out at my micro center

you're an exception and I can only imagine how autistic you are that you think you're anything but an exception, the average user is nothing like you

Yeah the average person doesn't track how much write per month they do. So they are easy to scam. You are right.

just lol @ these posts

You don't need a liquid cooler for a 3700. You can get a solid fan for about half the cost and it'll be fine. You also forgot storage. And why the fuck do you want 32gb of ram? What are you gonna be doing with it?

I use my computer for hours daily and work as a programmer and I wrote 75gb this month. your autism is off the charts.

>I write text files for a living
Yeah wow, I am sure all that code is harddrive intensive!

If you're getting high-end components like an RTX card and an AMD 3 series CPU you won't find good deals on Black Friday.

pcpartpicker.com/list/PXtxZR

Mostly gonna be for gaming. I know a 2080s is a bit overkill for 1440p gaming, but I have the money, so fuck it. Any other suggestions welcome.

>pay 150 for Microcock's """insurance"""
>current GPU worth is roughly 1/3 of what I paid for on the used market
>doent matter, bring it in and get full MSRP for the card :^)
>buy whatever new card you can get for the MSRP, it will be an upgrade to your old card
>buy insurance again for 150
>wait 3 years or until new interesting card is out.
Tell me you retards aren't using microcock's free upgrade package?

if you got money then go for 3600 memory cheapo

Ever think you are the exception he was talking about?

ever think the average user has no idea how much they write and thus are easy to scam?

Hellllllo and WELCOME TO

Need a reliable linux pro that can answer all my Linux needs. Will pay for every answer, through venmo or whatever you like.

cuck deals

>Linux

Hit up RMS, I'm sure he will need the money soon

>why do you need 32gb ram
The same reason he needs an 8c/16t cpu.
Just because.

How "future proof" is a 3700X and 5700XT for 1440p?

Attached: 1567237207372.jpg (1080x1113, 813K)

Currently building my first PC, do I need to pay for Windows?

it's not futureproof at all and infact can't deliver 1440p 144hz even right now.

AMD Deals

future proof doesn't exist unless you buy a 2080ti.

""no""

Oh, okay. I was considering the 5700XT because 2080 and 2080Ti are insanely expensive here in Canada.

Attached: 1567254888112.png (750x617, 505K)

pcpartpicker.com/list/jVJyp8
Not sure why you chose that motherboard in particular if you're not going to SLI or get a PCI-E 4.0 SSD. If you're going for aesthetics then spend away, but a B450 board has all the features you need. Maybe a MSI Gaming Carbon if you want wifi built in.

>$1500 CAD

Attached: 1568771102903.jpg (255x255, 13K)

You can leave windows 10 unactivated, it just leaves a watermark at the bottom corner of your screen. You could always just get a key off something like scdkey or even ebay has keys for cheap.

Or just activate it for free lmao

any idea when nvidia will stock more super 2070s on their site?

gotta liquidate stock so you can buy the new rtx 2.0 3xxxx series

What price did they use to calculate that for the 2060? Last time I tried calculating, the value doesn't hit that level at $300 USD.

how would a retard like myself go about doing that?

Get a 2060 Super

I really want to buy an AMD graphic card but they all suck

How's this look?

This is my first time building something without my boyfriend, are these from good brands and good places to buy from? the website said there were no incompatibilities, but I don't know if I should trust that???

Attached: -.png (1341x787, 269K)

pcpartpicker.com/list/Wz89TC

Is this an ok build? Please let me know where I goofed.

>Intel
stopped reading there

I was planning on getting AMD but I heard about some motherboard issues that I didn't really want to deal with because im a computer brainlet.

you won't need a 2080 for 1080p 144hz, in fact you could get away with 1660 Ti.

you can get away with a hyper 212 or a bq slim. If you can, try and get at least a 3600 but a 2700 is just as respectable. I dont know about x470s, but asrock has had some questionable qc. ASUS prime x470 is a solid contender for that similar price point. Crucial ballistix 3200 are a little bit more but worth it.
Outrite drop the HDD and get a 2.5 ssd if you need more storage. The Sabrent Rocket is a great budget m.2 drive. Drop the OS. you can get the disc image online and install from a thumb drive for free and run it unregistered. If you need to, you can get keys for pennies on the dollar.

why pay for windows?

Like 2080ti currently delivers 1440p 144hz more or less and it makes sense to ask how future proof that is.
But stuff below that is struggling to deliver it today, let alone in the future.

Intel doesn't require super fast memory like AMD does.
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZVnp9G
Everything else is ok

It was too powerful, so they sealed it.

What are the top 5 heat generating computer components? The CPU and GPU are obviously the top two hottest running components but what are the remaining 3?

Attached: 41ZxRHZ5pTL._AC_.jpg (498x338, 22K)

best budget card for 1440p?

1440p 144hz? No. 1440p 60hz? For now, yes, I would expect settings to be turned down over the next couple of years to maintain that though.

Buy a cheap one that already has Ryzen 3000 bios preflashed on it

Nveme ssds
Chipsets
VRM
Ram while not generating a lot of heat is very heat sensitive at tighter timings/frequencies.
In no order of importance.

any suggestions?

power supply
motherboard
ram
ssd/hdd
optical drive

and I mean we already ran out of components most people have

sorry about your budget

pcpartpicker.com/list/NXHWGc
How's this build look for at least 1080/60 gaming?
or is this better?
pcpartpicker.com/list/Z7Q2QZ

The 5700 will be overkill for 1080/60 but will pretty much set you up for the next couple of years or so. There could be something worth upgrading from the 590 come out in the next year or two.