How this shit can generate such amount of money to a company...

How this shit can generate such amount of money to a company? It's just a spreadsheet and text software and some other useless shit for god's sake! There are hundreds of free alternatives! Capitalism went wrong.

Attached: image_53.png (715x402, 277K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/languagetool-org/languagetool
youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Microsoft Office is fantastic and way better than the free alternatives though. The programs just have such a logical priority and are really easy to use.

Vendor lock in, contractual requirements and most people don't pay a penny because they get it through work / school / piracy.

excel is actually pretty good.

grow up

>How this shit can generate such amount of money to a company?
Because it fucking works and it works quite well. Do you expect an entire ecosystem to change over to freetardware that doesn't fucking work in business? Honestly stuff like Libreoffice is good for 90% of use cases but that 10% is where money is made.
>just a spreadsheet...
tell that to a fucking Actuary

>and some other useless shit...
tell that to a manager that needs his database to talk to powerBI

Sorry fucko, business (end users) run on Office even if their servers are probably Linux.

Attached: afooginmoonkey.jpg (1400x787, 119K)

Office is great, but not as great as Active Directory.

i hate microshit as much as the next Jow Forums virgin, but excel is really powerful, theres people that make games with it.
there are whole economy and price simulators sheets and what not for WoW.

Can tell you've never actually had to use Excel and try to do the same shit in a free software alternative, OP.

This is why freetards can't hold jobs lmao

Fucking all of this, you can't compare paid software with free, the fact that you don't even edit a .docx file once a year doesn't mean that is useless.
For something has become "a standard"

Word vs Libre Writer

Word: starts faster, no Java error, updates automatically, all commands can be found logically, I learned how to use styles and get work done in it

Libre Writer: too much of a pain but I really want it to be good

Outlook: far superior to any open source email/calendar etc

Onenote, Excel.

Excel is amazing and people who slander it are brainlets that don't know of its advanced features. Access on the other hand is a nightmare

EVERYBODY LET US POINT AND LAUGH AT THIS NEET MWAHHAHAH. HUMILIATION REACT THREAD!

Attached: aggieMemeAnon.gif (400x206, 1.73M)

Just like how, we depend on nvidia. We depend too much on such program.
The fact it and mathtype is so widely used in the industry and science is frustrating but is the fact.
In a Public working environment, you cannot force everyone to change instantly, even if the alternatives are better.
In this case the alternatives are no where near as good. So it could take years more.

i know people that pay monthly to use it

it's cheaper to go annual desu, mine is an annual subscription

Excel is literally and unironically the greatest program ever made

you disgust me

If you think calc compares to excel, you're living a fucking dream land.

Just bought it completely.
I bought 2010 and 2013 and still used now for my machines.
There are nothing really worth it in newer version.

>itt Microshit shills
LibreOffice is all you need

Its cheaper to buy a licence off of MMOGA.

onenote is fucking garbage now that its a UWP app. The 2016 desktop was worth using however.

Fuck off the telemetry and "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish".

It works, yeah, i cannot deny it.

Also, a funny thing that I see everytime is that sysadmins/techguys buy 5Ghz with nice specs PCs to schools or senators, only to run Office and some other basic shit lol.

Can never have enough power
I want to buy a massive mainframe and will only run Notepad on it

>Not using Vi because I'm a resource hog.

No other spreadsheet program can compare to Excel

Normies are just morons.
>Honestly stuff like Libreoffice
using any of kind office-like software is brain damaged. Everything that comes out of Microsofts looks like dogshit compared to LaTeX documents and excel is useless after you spend a weekend learning python. If you have a double digit IQ to use any of that garbage.

Concatenate is broken in excel but works in google sheets

> If you have a double digit IQ to use any of that garbage.
Does Latex have a grammar tool?

90% LO
9% Office
1% Latex and Python

no because that it's not it's job. But there is other software that checks your grammar like github.com/languagetool-org/languagetool

Office has a fucking asston of quality-of-life shit, and it's been around forever.
There's alternatives, but none are going to open that old .xls file you've got from 2002 properly that hits on every god damn edge case in Office.
Excel is actually pretty nice, even if I don't really need it for anything.

that being said, a fucking TON of organizations don't actually need Office since they don't do ANYTHING interesting with it at all
>really basic memo in word
>particularly simple spreadsheet in excel
>plain powerpoint slide show
>using Access at all lol
admittedly, a lot of these people moved to Google Docs, but that's a fucking service as a software substitute, and people shouldn't fall for that brand of bullshit either (the collaboration features are dead useful though)

>python over a spreadsheet
Spreadsheets bring programming-style number-crunching power to the ordinary person, and it's a natural form for a lot of data.
You can lay things out in a sensible, graphical way and get immediately updating results.

Programming is useful, but spreadsheets are also useful.

>Microsoft Office is fantastic
Microsoft has VBA macros which is the dumbest programming language on planet Earth. Strong typing for some objects and weak typing for others. The worst debugging on planet Earth.

LibreOffice has Python macros, that alone puts it miles and miles ahead of Micro$oft Offi¢e

Ohh wahh wahh boo hoo the font looks different when Barbara from 2 cubicles over sends you her PowerPoint to add to, that's probably Micro$hill's fault anyways for not using open document format and shoving their file type down everyones throats. Fuck that font anyways, noto sans looks better than the same "I changed Callibri to Arial" that these fucking braniacs think they're capable of. They're the type of people whose office documents are riddled with blank text boxes all over the page, left and right justified font, a different font on every page and two spaces after a period and they have the fucking gall to bitch to you about how it looks different after you saved on LO? Fuck that dude, you probably made it better anyways.

Wow.

because this shit is the normie standard.
every normie has to have fucking word. they spend thousands on word licenses and shit in their shitty companies.

youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI

>LibreOffice has Python macros, that alone puts it miles and miles ahead of Micro$oft Offi¢e

As cool as it is how many jobs are there that call for it? You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a job that calls for Excel or Word.

You've clearly never been given a repetitive office task by boomers who have no clue how to use a computer, where macros can equate to 5% or less of the workload you'd otherwise have

Not OP, but I've literally never had something I could do in excel that I couldn't do in LibreOffice. Including statistical analysis and simulation and such.

Some shops don't allow LO.

Excel and the competition unable to load docx without shitting the bed

>Spreadsheets bring programming-style number-crunching power to the ordinary person
So does python. You don't have to be anything more than ordinary to use it.

>useless shit
>Capitalism went wrong
I shudder to think how many times your mother dropped you on your head an hour up, until you turned 12 and posted that shit.

Active Directory is great, but not as great as SharePoint.

Attached: 1547588306243.png (177x176, 6K)

>the ordinary person
Lolno

>Why the fuck is this 300mb

Attached: SmartSelect_20190918-182149_Settings.jpg (367x204, 15K)

- Integration
- Ease of use
- Better than alternatives, in looks and functions

>300 MB
and?
I want static linking back

I use UWP one note and i like it, its fast and have everything i need, and it constantly updating bringing features from desktop version, i would recommend to try it now, if you are talking from your experience from 2016 UWP one note

Why does Excel have so shit perfomance while editing anything but a tiny spreadsheet

Because schools and businesses literally force it down everybody's throats. You basically have to use it.

It's fucking garbage loaded with bloat that's still missing basic functionality. I keep coming up with seemingly obvious things I can't find how to do, so I turn to google and learn in disbelief that they're not fucking there.

Wow it's almost as if Excel is a piece of software designed specifically to alleviate the programming aspect from spreadsheets and data

Literally this. My work flow is 90% Excel based and any freetard alternative is lackluster at best. Text editors are the easiest to replace (honestly most of the time you can get away with notepad) and that's the biggest assumption all freetards go by "Muh writer can put words on the screen just like Word so you all of you must be retarded for using the rest of the suite"

OneNote 2016 is based and (((free))).

Corporate contracts, do you think people would pay for Office out of their free will?

Attached: Untitled.png (1021x462, 31K)

You are talking about excel alternatives, excel handle huge spreadsheets easy.

Attached: 1557385247916.png (500x553, 232K)

How do you feel knowing that they are here forever? For over 20 years now microsoft has been cementing their position in desktop and office world, even at unix 100th birthday 99% of ordinary people will still be using windows and office. There is no going back, no matter how much outright telemetry or government spying they will put in software, the world is sold already. Sooner or later there will be laws prohibiting non commercial software based on assumption that free as in freedom means free because it was stolen

>you will not topple Internet Explorer
>Altavista is here to stay

I was talking about this state of things

>Outlook is useless

lol

I do

Who the fuck thought that it is was a good idea to use these icon design for Office. They looks horrendous compare to older version.

>using Access at all lol
This. I try so hard to make the normies fuck off with Access. We have real databases at our disposal at my job.

Latex is more like a language. Grammar tools are up to the editor.

No one knows. At least at my work, all the excel boomers are being forced to use proper data tools instead of excel though. But all I keep hearing everyday is some boomer fuck swearing because he's struggling with python or some shit.

fairly simple, choose one:
1) pay some money for tools that everyone already knows how to use and works with all your existing systems
2) get tools for free that people need costly training to use and may not work with other systems, and they'll probably complain about it all day

the inertia is too high. personally i use libreoffice at home, but microshit's suite is a no-brainer for a business context.

It's an extreme case of incumbency and momentum.
Businesses would rather pay the ~$250 per employee for something that their workers will be familiar with than spend untold sums on training for libreoffice and the decrease in productivity due to every Barb having to re-learn her routine that she's been using for the past 20 years.

>spending $200k/yr on office licenses
What the actual fuck...

They probably get huge discounts.

This.

Also, people here tend to forget that far from everyone actually knows how to program.

Sure, If you want to, you can write actually whatever you want in C / Rust and call it from your VBA but it will never fly with your managers because the day you're gone, no one (at least in corporate finance) can understand / audit your work.

Try a flowbox worst-case/best-case analisys for a business

Few people mention the stranglehold that Outlook/Exchange has on corporate email.
A large portion of people could use Libre Office for text, spreadsheets, hell, even presentations. But FOSS email clients and servers pale in comparison to Outlook and Exchange.
There have been a number of projects over the years that have tried to compete, but they always come up short and peter out.

programming's easy, it's basically legos, you can do legos, right, user?

What in my post made you think I don't know how to code?

>It's just a spreadsheet

I'll wager that tens of thousands, if not millions of people in small businesses use Excel as an ad-hoc database
they don't bother with Access, and even if you explain how you could replicate everything they're doing presently in Excel with Access while not having some of the problems inherent with a fuckhuge Excel file, they prefer to use Excel
Excel has more inertia in the business world than the QWERTY keyboard

I never said you didn't ;)

>pay
torrent that shit mate.
and link me because I lost my magnet ;-;

Attached: 1554676866217.jpg (438x523, 63K)

>using Access at all lol
Access is unironically the most powerful RAD tool for building database frontends ever made.

I'm a Linuxfag that hasn't run MS anything since 2012, but I still miss the ease with which I could use Access to knock-up some forms back in 2003. I yearn for a modern tool that can build web frontends to Postgres databases with similar ease (Wavemaker didn't cut it last time I looked).

The reason is something Jow Forums doesn't know shit about. It is called MARKETING user.

Word has fucked up the tabs in any document I have ever imported. Hours of reformatting every time. Delete a full stop or a single space and it spits the text all over the screen. 5 mins on something shit like open office and its fixed and saved as a PDF. Last good office suite ms made was works circa 1989. Lotus 123 rules

>Access is unironically the most powerful RAD tool for building database frontends ever made.
This.

It's a piss easy sale for anyone.

Do you want to write a letter with some nice formatting?

Office 365.

Do you need to calculate how much wine you drink on a Wednesday and see where you could cut back, Karen?

Office 365

Your kid wants to print out a paper airplane template.

Office 365.

I hate microsoft but I have to admit that word is better than that clunky libre shit

everyone uses word so you have to use word anyway, if you open word files in libre they look like garbage

That's just like your opinion dude

Windroolers BTFO!

Attached: 1566629922024.jpg (858x721, 130K)

Attached: 1555918875603.jpg (979x941, 235K)