Now that Rust is dead and the dust has settled

Now that Rust is dead and the dust has settled

What language should I use to replace Python3 for my everyday computing needs?

Attached: unsure.jpg (300x168, 8K)

F#

What is wrong with Python for simple scripting and programming? It’s simple enough to get basic jobs done.

you know I tried F# but there really aren't any libraries out there

like it's a fucking ghost town on github for F#

it's a dead language, maybe more so than OCaml

haskell

you have access to all of .NET tho

it's fine, but GIL is kill, and pattern matching is lacking compared to other languages like Elixir or Haskell

Based F# poster. People dont really what a fucking comfy language it is. It's like writing a statically typed, functional Python. Shame it's kinda dead library wise.

Rust

what libraries does it lack that need to be written?

yeah F# looked comfy af

I didn't like that I had to deal with Mono, I felt like IDE support was pretty weak too (visual studio plugin wasn't fun), and again the library situation. I don't wanna have to go into C# territory or even look at microsoft-targeted specific code.

There was some kind of starter template for F# projects which included a shell script to identify if you're building (or running? I forgot) on Windows or not. I don't want that shit when all I ever use are linux machines

Why werent you using Ruby in the first place

dotnet core is now cross-platform, and VS code is a great editor

yeah it is but it's not easier than Python dev - literally having ipython running and copy pasting your code into the repl as if it's a lisp. Can't beat it, and F# doesn't even come close.

Ruby is inferior to Python in every way

Wait Rust died? I’m not complaining (I’m actually sorta glad about that) but what happened?

You mean Ruby superior to Python in every way

For instance, FParsec, the poster child for F# parsing, doesnt work on .NET Core unless you use the low trust version

I've tried to debug problems in Ionide before and it turns out its cos the Ionide devs dont use Linux, so there was some command which they never realized failed until you run it on a Linux machine. The usage rate is just so low that the Linux bug reports arent enough to reckon worth fixing. F# is cross platform but its users are still mainly Windows users so most dev is still there.

And I say this as a huge lover of F#, who shills it to my classmates

You can use f sharp interactive as a repl. Its fsharpi on Linux

Both Crystal and Elixir have made Ruby obsolete.

>Crystal
lmao

I think it's best to pick a popular widely used language: Java, python, c, C++ or c#

why? b/c they're the ones with the most libraries and tutorials stack overflow help since it's what everyone else is using

Groovy and Go seem to be rising in popularity if you're looking for something high level but different

Lisp. More interactive than python3 (see: conditions and restarts), speed in the ballpark of C, can release compiled executables, really good FFI, can easily design DSLs via macros, and higher level than python3.
Also works infinitely better in long-term interactive use than jupyter notebooks. Additionally, you can setup org-mode in emacs to work just like jupyter notebooks, but much better.
Works brilliant for anything from scripts to high-performance applications. The only thing I wouldn't use it for is hardware-interfacing code.

I tried

but fuck emacs

and basically if you don't know emacs, you can't write lisp without pain

Do you know vim?

Nothing, it was a bait

Fuck you, Perl.

Perl6 is REALLY FUCKING GOOD

but no libraries

Vim + slimv actually works better than emacs + slime in my experience. For emacs, don't even bother without at least evil-mode and popwin.
Also, there's an atom (or sublime?) module for slime.

I do, however, completely agree that if you can't use any of those, you shouldn't bother with lisp. Sadly it's not "notepad-friendly".

Based

Come home white man.

Attached: this.png (1200x1349, 69K)

Isn't C# the go-to thing nowadays?

ok Gerard

I've heard Go is a good alternative.

sssh, don't attract Jow Forums pajeets to the market

Also slow

>Now that Rust is dead
Did anything happen or is this shitposting?

>Did anything happen or is this shitposting?
It's someone mentioning Rust on Jow Forums, of course it's shitposting.

Go get the fuck out of here

Lul Nothing,just kill yourself

Now that Rust trannies has killed Stallman,
what should the new sticky be?

>Rust is dead
Based. Also, she won by 3 million votes.

Lua
>scripting language like Python
>FASTER than Rust

Attached: lua.jpg (391x773, 56K)

C++ and Assembly language

Attached: 1568733512369.png (390x397, 328K)

the most powerful programming language