I’m seeing tons and tons of praise for the KDE environment lately...

I’m seeing tons and tons of praise for the KDE environment lately. Is there a reason why so many people are saying it’s one of the best DEs in the future going ahead?

Attached: FD308064-A678-4807-BBD9-5A8B6CAEE799.png (1200x1200, 18K)

it j***t w***s

it is most similar to explorer.exe

it's the buggiest one.

dolphin
and i still like it

>not gtk3
>application menu search works properly, unlike lxqt

It's shit for me. GNOME > *

It's decent, it's fast, it's customizable without hiding all of the options in config files, and it's reasonably stable if you're not using a retarded distro.

it works
many germans working on it
no gnome sjw bullshit
file picker thumbs
no huge stupid padding everywhere

Attached: 0.jpg (880x1024, 87K)

I tried Gnome because everyone hated it and I wanted to see if it was justified. I gave it a month. It is justified.
I switched to KDE and holy shit I wish I would have just started with this rather than going through tiling wm's and other DEs. Just try it and you'll understand

Because it actually works, isn't 15 years out of date like xfce or MATE and isn't an iphone UI

is it still buggy piece of shit like it was 2 years ago?

My impression of KDE was that it is a brittle webwork of ad hoc protocols veiled in highly opinionated polish.

yes

The Kool Desktop Environment is the only GNU/Linux that attempts to provide a modern, full-featured, polished computing experience. Microsoft Windows actually copies a lot of design ideas from KDE. All modern web browsers are descended from KHTML, a KDE project.

then i'll stick to xfce

I'm a furry, so I got konqibaited, but I found out in my daily use that it is quite pleasant.

No. I made the switch from xfce with a heavy heart because of hidpi issues and i love it now.

It grows on you.

As you start getting more advanced, you start to develop specific user habits that are unique to you. You begin to wish that the computer could act more in a way that conforms to your unique habits.

With KDE, all those options and menus that had looked intimidating and cumbersome at first now start to make sense as you have now develloped more specific needs for a more customized experienced. KDE makes it much easier to fine tune the desktop to your very specific needs.

I am of the same opinion. Also, it's shit.

I installed it recently after a whopping two years of tiling memery, and I have to admit it's really good. Now that I actually have a good knowledge of GNU/Linux, nothing to prove and nobody to impress by editing text files, I can actually enjoy a fully functional just werkz setup while being more productive than ever.
I tried all major DEs for a bit, and my conclusion is that in most cases, for most people, KDE Plasma is by far the best GNU/Linux DE.
I don't really hate GNOME, I just don't like the default workflow it provides. It's different, yes, but not better. Xfce uses barely less resources than KDE Plasma despite its reputation as a lightweight DE, pretty much no reason to use it over the latter unless your machine is really shit or old (but in that case, you're better off with a standalone wm, preferably stacking). LXDE is semi-abandoned now that LXQt exists, and the latter is alright, but what I said for Xfce applies here as well. Both are pretty much inferior KDEs.
Also, KDE isn't even that bloated now despite its reputation as the most bloated DE: on my Gentoo machine it uses around 3-400 Mb on idle. More than using a wm alone, sure, but justified considering the additional stuff it does. It really improved after version 4, which I didn't like at all. GNOME uses far more memory. Plus, Qt is a superior graphical framework compared to GTK.
KDE Plasma is pretty much the logical choice when you don't fall for memes: you have a powerful machine, but realize negleting its resources via extreme minimalism is retarded, you are proficient on the command line and knowledgeable about your system, but realize complicating your life by using textual commands and text configuration all the time for no gain is idiotic, and also realize different devices call for different interfaces, and forcing yourself to adapt to a needlessly different paradigm is pointless.
By all means avoid KDE if you genuinely hate it, but be honest with yourself and avoid memery.

damn this reads as if i wrote it myself. same exact experience here. des in general get a bad reputation because of gnome, but a well designed de will be far better than whatever you're going to cobble up by yourself using a separate wm, a separate panel, a separate file manager, and so on

>Is there a reason why so many people are saying it’s one of the best DEs in the future going ahead?
It's because it is. It's the best DE and looks great and modern, is fast, highly customizable, has lots of features, phone integration, large community, lots of apps, a mobile environment and so on. Give it a try and you'll see for yourself. Only valid criticism you might have that I know of is that it still has some bugs. Hopefully that will change in time.

Attached: hero.jpg (2000x1200, 526K)

Absolutely fucking based my friendo
It is the best DE for GNU/Linux that we have right now. It is not as lightweight as some other DEs(for eg. LXDE) or WMs but it is a full blown environment that offers a shitton of customization. It is pretty fast and responsive unlike stuff such as gnome and deepin. While the settings GUI is sometimes inconsistent and kind of messy, KDE Plasma 5 is the only good and modern desktop environment for GNU/Linux at the moment.

Attached: DvnFNrkWwAEotgR.jpg (500x500, 29K)

I love the KDE Applications, but plasma is fucking shit
I suck it up tho because dolphin is bretty gud

Konqi a Qt uWu

>I’m seeing tons and tons of praise for the KDE environment lately
>K Desktop Environment environment

>Is there a reason why so many people are saying it’s one of the best DEs in the future going ahead?
Gnome devs have absolutely destroyed GTK3 and all signs point to GTK4 being an equally big clusterfuck. QT is the only sane toolkit to build a DE these days.

For me it's XFCE, the best DE

It's much more stable now than it was a year ago. It's also the easiest to customize without having to code anything. You can make it look anyway you want.

I want to nakadashi Kiki.

Attached: kiki_the_cyber_squirrel_by_tysontan-d6pp41h.png (1020x1200, 606K)

What about Cinnamon?

get in line

Attached: 1567707480848.png (731x617, 483K)

As a KDE user since early 2018, KDE 5 was originally quite buggy and unpolished, especially if you had NVIDIA proprietary drivers. However those problems were eventually fixed, and KDE now is honestly quite comfy. Best part of KDE is getting to use KDE software (e.g. Krita, Kate, Kdenlive, etc.) without having to worry about dependencies. Krunner is also sweet, baloo complements it well. I've only used KDE, XFCE and LXDE, so I don't know how GNOME 3 functions or handles.

Yes.I don't know how people can use this shit. It's like a welfare Windows rip-off.

This. Just try it and you tell me.

Too resource intensive.

Dolphin, excellent file manager
Okular
Krita
Latte dock (great dock)
Klipper (clipboard manager with custom actions)
KDE Connect
Kate
Global menus for both Qt and GTK

a WORKING file picker that works in any chromium based browser and Firefox can be configured to use it too

How difficult is it to install a different de/wm?

KDE had an ugly duckling phase just like GNOME did with GNOME3. KDE4 and early versions of 5 were like early versions of GNOME3, not fully fleshed out.

But with later versions KDE has really come into its own and is a beautiful swan. It's the best environment if you just want to get things done, if you want games to work without your desktop getting in the way... I keep trying out new things but come back to KDE because it's comfy and Just Werks.

it's not, just use your package manager and change the DM settings

removing the old one is a pain in my experience, though. so many packages

maybe I was doing it wrong though and some other user knows how to do it better

I don't know how people can use this shit. It's like a welfare Windows rip-off.

This. Instead of remove your old DE/WM, reinstalling OS may be easier.

yeah, we heard you the first time, shill

have a (you) maybe that'll shut you up

hello Gnome devs

Besto DE
> Install KDE
> Try to download/install theme from KDE option menu itself
> Theme won't install
> Download just partially
> Theme broken

Yes, besto DE

>live in a 3rd world shithole with crap internet
>blame KDE

Attached: 1467557003265s.jpg (125x119, 3K)

Kutest mascot

Attached: Konqi.png (566x568, 128K)

Wait, how do you get global menus working for GTK applications?

If we're only counting mascots for software packages, excluding Operating Systems, I would agree.

it looks too modenr it's shit \(゜д゜#)ノ

Wouldn’t your * include Gnome? How is something greater than everything in a set, whilst it is also in that set?

go away, you basic logic/group utilizing FAGGOT

this is how everyone on Jow Forums knows you are retarded

based

How does KDE work with steam games? I've only ever used gnome and unity.

DE has essentially no bearing on how well a game will work

Anyone else think it really doesn’t feel that resource intensive? It runs really smoothly for me

Because it actually works, looks nice, doesn't lag like Gnome 3, has nice default apps, and has useful stuff like KDE connect where you can share notifications between your Android phone and desktop/laptop. What's not to like?

Attached: 1568626669346.jpg (936x931, 329K)

It's great because I can set myself up in a (prettier) Windows 2000 cocoon with a great file manager, document viewer, terminal and media viewer.
Also, KIO is the best thing ever any I'm not sure how I lived without it.

Same here. Older versions were admittedly a resource hog, but that has greatly improved as of now.
Those who still push the "KDE is bloat" FUD in 2019 are either GNOME shills/fanboys or tiling autists who think they are l33t h4xxors for complicating their life for no reason.

Bloated and can't use vert taskbar mode, so I'm back to XFCE

>I’m seeing tons and tons of praise for the KDE environment lately. Is there a reason why so many people are saying it’s one of the best DEs in the future going ahead?
Shills
This

Xfce is also furry and yet isn't shit

Vertical taskbar works just fine.
t. using it right now

There’s something about it I don’t like, but I’m not quite sure what it is. It’s kind of boring and kind of tacky at the same time. Kind of a weird art project/pastel presentation