Tech Ghost Stories

w-what could cause a light to randomly switch on at night?
What spooky tech shit have you experienced?

Attached: index.jpg (246x205, 9K)

dust particles and shitty sensor.

shine bright flashlight in dark room and you will be surprised how much crap is flying around

Spiders making webs will trigger mine.

So this is a weird one. I was a 1B4X1 in the USAF which essentially makes you a blue team member, running cybersec stuff and the like. We had a number of servers with the SEL log is full notification so I go to physically clear the logs and when I go inside the beeping of the machines are beeping upward in an ascending scale. Like a major scale but I couldn't tell you which, it sounded upbeat though. Clearing the SEL logs for some reason, and to this day I don't know why, changed the beeping (coming from the various PSU's) made the beeping louder and like, angrier and bit crushed. The by the time I cleared all the logs it was one continuous bit crunched scream, which was making me extremely light headed and the PSU's had no indicators for why they were making the noise, they were still operative, so I left. I was in earliest the next day to take a look and when I came inside they were operating normally but the color indicator light had changed to red for all of them. and I SHIT you not walking up to the rack, they all started beeping the 3 tone scale again in various increments and they WEREN'T doing that shit before, so idk.

>using win10 home (inb4 "stopped reading right there")
>everything is fine
>next morning
>things slowly break without anyone doing anything
>computer is forced to restart at inconvenient times
>constant bugs (features)
>check task manager to see what the hell is going on
>microsoft telemetry
>sysmain raping my system resources
>default photo's app taking 40MB of RAM on idle and keeps opening itself
>couldn't take it anymore
>download linux
>everything works as it did on day 1

Attached: 1526407211158.jpg (640x640, 36K)

But its a light switch.

Attached: Capture.png (1100x1014, 404K)

install linux* holy fuck i'm retarded

>(inb4 "stopped reading right there")
I read anyway because of the semen demon you posted

Attached: tenor.gif (498x359, 1.29M)

Linux is a kernel

then it's obviously Nosferatu

>be me
>on computer around 3 in the morning
>suddenly hear loud grinding and clicking sounds from my computer
>smell something like burning hair
>quickly turn off computer
>turn on light and open case
>don't see anything at first
>hear faint clicking from the fan
>wtf?
>shine flashlight into fan
>see biggest centipede of my life tangled in fan
>centipede juice (blood maybe?) all over vent
>it's still alive and clicking its mandibles
i couldn't sleep for fear of another giant centipede in my room. i cleaned the shit out of my room the next day to make sure there was nowhere for bugs to hide anymore.

Attached: 5af491b842e1cc73a12c41b9-750-563.jpg (750x563, 73K)

The other month my bike pedals started pedalling on their own after 6 lights flickered one after another. Each one flickering closer to the bike. The next night I had a dream where I looked in my bathroom mirror and I was the bike. I sold it and bought a new one. I still can't get the images out of my head.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Your computer killed that bastard for you. Computers really can do everything.

My computer wakes from sleep on its own.
But not always, only when I'm asleep. During the day it stays in sleep mode reliably.

it's probably sapping your soul when your guard is down.

>2am
>in hotel room
>all lights are off
>laying in bed cuz cant sleep
>suddenly the tv turns on
>nope.bmp.exe

You would not believe how hard it is to stop Windows from randomly turning your shit on these days.

I wouldn't worry about it.

W10 I presume?
Same here, it's fucking impossible preventing it from waking itself.

This happens to me, but it stops if I unplug the Ethernet cable. Should I be worried?

Attached: 1425812461569.jpg (160x160, 7K)

Same model of TV in the rooms next to yours, frequency of the other TV remotes can control your TV as well.

irda doesn't go through walls

>2am in florida on vacation when I was 11
>in hotel room
>all lights are off, everyone asleep
>a bunch of dudes burst through the door
>roll off and under the bed
>scared shitless along with the rest of my family
>turns out front desk gave some guys the room that we already had

I have no idea how front desk fucks up that bad but you're story reminded me of that

>disable wake timers from Power Options
>don't let automatic maintenance wake up your computer
>disable wake for each input device
>disable wake on LAN
I think that does it.

You sure?
I have 2 Samsung TVs here, one in the living-room, one in the bedroom.
Sometimes starting the one in the living-room also starts the one in the bedroom.

>2011-ish
>doing super hackerman shit (ie. downloading Tor Browser and fucking around)
>find some onion imageboard, browse around the crime discussion board because this is true deep dark web shit or whatever
>suddenly the display flashes black, everything becomes sluggish to respond and the fans pick the fuck up
>this lasts for a few minutes while I try to not shit my pants, did someone hack me or something?
>after a while everything subsides and goes back to normal, frantically try to figure out what raised hell back there
>turns out it was the fucking Windows performance assessment thing, installing a new wireless card triggered a new run to be scheduled at Sunday 1am for some reason

Turn off wake on LAN. I had the same problem, for whatever dumb reason my old router kept sending magic packets every now and then, which would promptly wake up everything in my network.