Digital Foundry called out the LCD Jew and found out that the Sony FW900 still looks better than every modern LCD on...

Digital Foundry called out the LCD Jew and found out that the Sony FW900 still looks better than every modern LCD on the market.

youtube.com/watch?v=V8BVTHxc4LM

Okay, what in the fuck? Why did we abandon such an amazing technology just for the flat meme? Imagine where we could be if people just continued to improve CRTs.

Attached: 2019-09-19_1.jpg (2305x1245, 599K)

Imagine a 50 inch CRT.

But CRTs were "improving" for over 100 years and they were still giant heavy, power hungry blocks that were expensive to produce and ship.

yeah, perfect image quality, no motion blur, super high fps, this Technology would be great on big screens.

SEDs and FEDs were the future

>But CRTs were "improving" for over 100 years and they were still giant heavy, power hungry blocks
That wouldn't really matter for enthusiasts who want the best possible quality. I guest they were killed off because LCDs were cheaper to produce.

Imagine needing to rent a crane to put your monitor on your desk

>flat meme
Desk space isn't a meme and not having a 75lb brick on your desk that puts off enough heat to reheat meals is a plus

CRTs were killed by the dogs as a way to fuck over cats by taking away their warm perch that the dogs can't reach. Fucking dogs.

Crt had beautiful colors but so does oled.

go blinddddd

only if ur a basedboy

you are looking at it wrong.
Go by weight and space:

stack as many lcd screens next to each other until you have reached the weight or the volume of one single crt.
You will find that you need 3-5. Now ask yourself: Is the CRT really 3-5x as good as one LCD? Generally the answer is no, thus the LCD is in the end superior.

fuc they blocked onions

Enjoy your shitty contrast, phosphor trails and eye cancer.

This. The industry choose OLED instead, probably because OLED displays are disposable.

I never wanted to leave the CRT. I believe that we had a prototype for an Evolution of the CRT that it would make it thinner and lighter, not as LCD panels but a nice one but it got canned because LCD was cheap af and would make then billions of dollars.

And to this date we still didn't achieved the visual fidelity of a CRT.

because CRT caused cancer and are dangerous to work on
on top of that shit cannot be fucking made compact like an ultra thin oled panel

That model is 100 lbs, that’s why.

>perfect image quality, no motion blur, super high fps
None of these applies to CRTs.

Well that was true in 2003 but the technology has improved a lot since then.There were already slim CRT prototypes. We will never know what would have happend if they continued to improve CRTs.

Attached: slimtv_600x393-1.jpg (600x393, 40K)

yes because I love having big vertically scrolling lines in my display and fuckhuge bezels

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-18 21-29-26.png (820x478, 154K)

CRTs became shit when fast phosphor was introduced and you had to run the screen at 240Hz to not get headaches and bleeding eyes.

I actually have owned a Dell e773c for a long while now and its currently broken but im gonna fix that thing

Attached: e773c dl.jpg (500x375, 11K)

>"My $2000 crt is better than a new $100 LCD"

It would have been like all those attempts to keep steam locomotives relevant after the diesel engine was introduced.
Minor improvements, but the technology had reached it's limits.

>steam locomotives relevant after the diesel engine was introduced
That's a weird comparison when a 2003 CRT still beats every LCD on the market in terms of image quality and smoothness.

At least LCDs don't give you cancer.

I'm still waiting for them to put CRT into a phone. I'd look like a true alpha with that girth in my pocket.

user, but you already have a crane to get out of bed.

t. brainlet

Do you rate women the same way too? One fatty is better than three skinnies?

user, your shitposting causes cancer too.

>Why did we abandon such an amazing technology
customers didn't want to, manufacturers and retailers did
lighter and taking up less space means less cost on shipping and housing
that's why it got popular

lcd is still a completely unacceptable display technology, and it will not be possible for it to ever be
the color reproduction will always be shit, the contrast will always be shit, the pixel transition time will always be shit

someday we'll have microled, and it will be the only step between it and crt that has any level of acceptability

by the way oled is is as lcd as the next thing, poor colors, poor contrast, poor pixel transitions, and now it has the least desirable trait of a crt, the burn-in
once again manufacturers love it though, disposable tech means you can't use it long, less resource cost (to THEM, but they'll charge YOU more for it), and they're going to be able to get away with providing even shittier batteries on the devices that use them

Who cares? How fucking often do you people move monitors around?

So there is literally no argument against CRTs other than poorfags with cardboard furniture that can't handle a real man's monitor and "muh reeeeeediation" 5g schizos?

Fuck those assholes. I still remember how LCDs were advertised a being "better" because they are flat now.

Attached: Le-Happy-Merchant-Question-Mark.gif (452x523, 4K)

Attached: tokyoday1_076.jpg (1200x675, 102K)

You nerds realize that the only reason you can even pick up professional grade CRT monitors meant for TV/movie production and actual work is because they went the way of the dodo, right? The amount of raw materials and components and precision needed for a quality CRT meant that it was never going to trickle down to the average consumer. The whole principle of the CRT is to use thousands of volts of energy to shoot an electron gun directly at the viewer. You can't really make it any cheaper or more compact without consequences on safety and liability. Consider yourself lucky that even professionals fell for the LCD meme and let you have their sloppy seconds.

>produces more carbon and heats up the planet even more

Attached: screen power.png (626x392, 27K)

Yeah dude, it's not like one half of the Earth is always radiating heat off into space, shit's here to stay, that's why the polar ice caps are always melting!

>those blacks
I threw up a little in my mouth.

Also we already had this thread. Someone posted a professional evaluation of the FW900 and it's measurably worse than most LCDs on the market today

Outdated garbage boomer tech with flickering and bars moving all over the screen. Good luck even fitting one of those in a phone form factor.

Customers absolutely wanted to switch to LCD and most still think they're "better" than CRT.

That's weird, I don't head into my living room and start power lifting two CRTs, thus I don't give a shit if it's a little heavy when I move it.

I want technology that's better, not something that ships from China in greater quantities.

What you want doesn't matter unless you have billions of dollars to replace the profits they wouldn't have because they are giving you better technology instead of making money.

This. Lcd was fashionable and in some cases people threw away 19 inch crts to replace them with 17 inch 4:3 panels...

It was simply perceived as technological leap and marketing made full use of it and the fact you could get bigger screen size which was essentially one of those symbols that separated poor from the rich.

Full disclosure: I'm a CRT man.

It wasn't just for flat - it was also for size, heat and power usage. Normies want big screens, LCD supplies that - and they will sacrifice absolutely everything else for it, like all drug users.

ITT
>bottom of the barrel reddit retards that don't know what FEDs or SEDs are and argue about weight, "radioactivity," noise, or other non-issues with improved tech
Man, Internet and computers for the masses were a mistake.

Here's a picture that resembles you to make you feel more at home.

Attached: 4L_hK3LdabF.png (753x960, 29K)

That isn't what he said though

>glug glug
>pass the soi
>glug glug
>*clacks on model m*
>glug glug
>*clicks on 8bitboomer and lazysoireviews
>glug glug
>*burns eyes on CRT*
>glug glug
>*wiggles fat ass in squeaky chair*
>glug glug

OLED and MicroLED's are the future.
LCD's where just a placeholder.

>giant heavy, power hungry blocks
dumb nigger here, is there a technical reason why you can't make a seamless array of smaller tubes instead of one massive one?

>Why did we abandon such an amazing technology just for the flat meme?
Because LCD takes up less space, generates less heat and uses less power. This makes it a lot more suited for use in offices.

literally muh gaymes video
but why would tech channel consider other uses for monitor other than playing some transretard game at 720p, right

>(((professional)))

A CRT could last decades; an OLED gets all yellowed and burned-in after just one or two years of regular use.

meanwhile people actually using high end consumer crts monitors like fw900 complained they need to use image restoration every time monitor heats up to get rid up green tinge and monitor didnt show proper blacks until it was heat up

btw fw900 was like 2500usd in early 2000s, adjusted for inflation it is around 3500usd

who gives a shit
as long as it displays things I don't care if it's LCD, CRT or BBC

Image restoration is just a fallback for a proper calibration. The long term drift issue has never really been explained in depth, but it's a matter of recalibration. An OLED recalibrates itself to a degree, but since it's still early in the life of the tech the chance of burn-in is higher because the organic compounds degrade pretty quickly still compared to the formulas they perfect for CRT phosphor. You will probably not see any OLEDs from recent years without burn-in nearly 20 years later.

I have a 34" ultrawide IPS panel, I couldn't imagine a CRT being that good.

>tfw own a gdm F520
It's great, but I'm not sure what adapter to use for it once I want to upgrade from my old 980ti.

Attached: 1562555956050.png (1280x960, 618K)

>980ti
>old
I hold 300+ FPS in fortnite with my 970.

I still use one of these fuckers to monitor my server and router. Because it works and I'm too lazy to move it. I imagine it was pretty crazy expensive back in the day. Would I take it over a $100 chink monitor? fuck no. My eyes can't handle the flicker of CRT's.

Attached: cornerstone p1500.jpg (1024x768, 120K)

At some point I'm going to upgrade my card, but there don't seem to be any good displayport to vga adapters that handle all the different resolutions and refresh rates. I guess I'll just have to stick with my card for the foreseeable future.

You could glue a cheapo LCD on top of it wouldn't take up any more space.

How did you know I'm American?

who gives a shit about the weight? you're most likely gonna place it somewhere where you need it and not move it for years. would you not buy a fridge just because it's heavy?

> doesn't even have proper blacks
>Good
Hope boomer hipsters die of old age soon enough.

>every modern LCD on the market
Maybe some. Maybe even a lot. But the market has monitors at 2-3 times the resolution and full SRGB coverage.
Not to mention actually sharp images, not a phosphorus mess.

>oled
>poor colors, poor contrast, poor pixel transitions
Has none of those. Maybe if you're looking at the number 1 professional $20k CRT ever designed, just maybe. But your regular ass sub $1k CRTs (inflation adjusted) - no way.
Literally all the time regarding laptops and mobile devices.

If FEDs and SEDs were even viable, there would be nonzero units sold ever.

That's exactly what these things were supposed to be.
IIRC both Sony and Canon were working on the same technology with slight differences (and names, SED - FED), but I don't know if they abandoned it because of technical limitations or because they could make more money from that LCD shit.

>intel inside

Attached: greentech.png (1112x833, 73K)

*WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*

Attached: 15193859-old-crt-monitor-and-clipping-path.jpg (1300x866, 62K)

Attached: greenertech.png (1112x833, 74K)

>most powerful desktop CPU, overclocked, consumes less power than midrange desktop CPU
Whooooaaah hahahaha

It was $2900 monitor when adjusted for inflation. No one had one back in the day, most people had horrible blurry mess of a CRT screens.

2600x -> 15-100 Watt
9900k -> 15-250 Watt
>powerful desktop CPU
that's a nice way of saying 2990wx

Attached: 2990.jpg (705x454, 40K)

So what is everyone's favorite CRT monitor? Mine is NEC Multisync 3D from 1990.

Attached: conv_14526_1990_officetech_102.jpg (300x283, 14K)

>2990wx
Not on the original chart, doesn't matter.
>15-100 Watt
14.8 is what it says.

A whole

And bend normal desks. I had many die under the weight of a 21" CRT back in the late 90's early 2k range.

Fucking nice monitor though.

Fuck crt and fuck eyestrain.

My desk was kill by 17" eizo crt. Those where gigantic for their screen size with accompanying weight.

cts literally emit ionizing radiation, they fry your thyroid gland

but yeah they have great image quality

>I don't head into my living room and start power lifting two CRTs
liftlet incel detected

crt is harmful for the eyes

WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING THIS ???? WE ALREADY HAVE SCALPERS ALL OVER THIS SHIT IS ALREADY EXPENSIVE FUCK (((TECH CHANNELS)))

He was putting value based on weight.

>they fry your thyroid gland
hypo/hyperthyroidism pills are cheap, no big deal

You think I can go to my local junk yard and get a CRT for free?

absolute kek of a video

>we finally have frame rates to take advantage of the high refresh these screens can produce
>well ahksually the resolution is higher than 1440p@60hz
>resolution doesn't matter, look at these colors

>Why did we abandon such an amazing technology just for the flat meme?
Higher profit margins for producers. Producing and shipping CRTs is expensive and risky compared to LCD.

Attached: SED 01.gif (461x244, 13K)

How do you know it's not the lighting in the room reflecting off the perfect black surface? You see the same thing in photos of CRTs. Obviously you can't judge picture quality of a monitor through an image on your own monitor.

>And bend normal desks.
>My desk was kill by 17" eizo crt.

A regular wooden desk can support the weight of 3 people or more

Yep, anyone who shills for CRT as muh perfect blacks is literally inside a black hole. The screen cannot provide enough luminance for accurate colors, what you are seeing is a black crushed screen. The video is embarrassing you can actually see how the FW900 is unable to display gradients of black and just crushes everything because the luminance of the screen is so low.

Attached: ssss.png (899x443, 45K)

I grew up using CRTs, don't miss them in the slightest, except for that tear-in-the-spacetime-fabric feeling you get when you degauss a huge CRT

I can't wait for Redditors to buy FW900s and post pictures of it on r/Battlestations. Imagine actually believing morons on Digital Foundry talk about image quality.

I wonder how microLED monitors will compare once they're developed and out for desktop monitor sizes