Finally decided to buy one of these

Finally decided to buy one of these.
>why don't you just use an arduino board
what are you a faggot? most serious shit runs on 24VDC or 120VAC. PLCs output voltages that high. Pic related was a $69 PLC. one of the cheapest I've seen. added the power supply to it, made it about $100 total...but because Automation direct had to jew me by putting serial ports on it instead of Ethernet ports I had to buy a usb to serial adapter cable so I could program it and communicate with my PC so I ended up spending $140 just to get started.
I'm surprisingly not disappointed though started programming it today just for shits and giggles...I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to do a network with RJ12/RJ11. I know lots of old buildings have RJ12/RJ11 ports networked through the house for phones. so there has to be a way to do it.

Attached: shgghsghsgshcb.png (1632x1224, 3.39M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-BRADLEY-PLC-5-40-PROCESSOR-MODULE-CAT-1785-L40BC-701925B-USED/293142677579
automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/programmable_controllers/click_series_plcs_(stackable_micro_brick)/analog_i-z-o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So how do you program these?

An arduino or raspi plus some solid state relays would let you deal with higher voltages.

ladder logic

>An arduino
what are you a faggot

What's wrong with it? It's programmable and has GPIO pins. You can wire those up to FETs or solid state relays if you want to control higher voltages.

yeah, but I put this together in less than an hour. because it has serial ports it's actually pretty easy to communicate between the PC and PLC.
raspis are fine, I have boxes of arduinos user. this is the first PLC I bought. $69 is nothing for a PLC, a comparable one by Allen bradley or Siemens would be over $1,000.
PLCs are meant to be hardy built for harsh environments. I've seen PLCs from the 80s that still work and have never been replaced. Arduinos are for little projects for testing purposes.
I'm planning to use this PLC for a sprinkler system. for my garden.

what are you not chad enough to use an ATTINY? fucking pussy

Are you sure those ports are ethernet and not serial over RJ11? If so you now need USB to serial and serial DE9 to RJ11 adapters. Fortunetly neither of these should cost much at all.

>little projects
It's a prototyping board.
You don't leave it as the finished product, you burn your sketch onto a microchip atmel with enough pins to do what you want and call it a day.

They're RJ12

It's mainstream and we're hipsters here

I work on Allen Bradley PLCs. I'm going to tell you know, they are fucking gay. We'd all prefer to use another embedded solution, but they have a stranglehold on the industry. We move to arduino/atmel chips whenever possible.

I just saw this post. You're completely wrong, and have no actual experience in industrial automation.

Sure user, but I have this connected to my PC, and wrote a quick program as an HMI. I still think this is nicer than arduino.
Allen Bradley makes things extremely easy Allen Bradley are controllers made for boomers, not programmers. and even then boomers get set in their ways and would prefer to use 4-20mA analogue instead of IO-link.

Attached: dhgghhsgshgsgdg.png (1920x1080, 218K)

lol wut? what makes you say that?

And this is the ladder logic. nothing to it really.

Attached: eafeafeafefa.png (1653x843, 131K)

Make your own stuxnet.

I literally have drawers of arduino boards user.

Attached: fgfafgsggfss.jpg (1224x1632, 529K)

>targeting Siemens
convince me that virus wasn't written by Allen Bradley.

bullshit, never met anyone who used ardiuno in industry. I've seen raspberry pis used for HMIs, but I'm never seen an arduino use in a serious workplace.

>i'm too dumb to buy a velocio ace 11
>and i swear too much
>and i'm a racist
that's you; that's what you sound like.

>buying a chinkshit PLC
lol at ur life.

But seriously, PLCs are fine for higher power stuff that requires industrial control voltages or things like that but using a PLC for small signal applications just because you hate arduinos would be full retard. Microcontrollers have their place is all sorts of low power electronics. Granted Arduinos, the ESP micros, and the meme $0.03 Paduk are for casuals. Real engineers go PIC and the realer engineers are still using MPLAB 8 and assembly. Fuck that X shit.

Yeah but how do you play fucking video games on it

You can get Allen Bradley and Siemens PLCs used for 1/10th that price. Are you even trying? Used shouldn't be a problem given how well engineered they are.

>I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to do a network with RJ12/RJ11
I'm sure you could. You need a nic that takes an rj-11 and just send raw frames over it.

How do PLCs work for a brainlet? I work on the nitrogen refrigeration systems for Starbucks. The PLC seems to control multiple things in the system including a sensor PLC board that gets voltage when three wires (red, black and ground) that connect to their respective probes in a cylinder that mixes the nitrogen with the coffee, and the coffee touches the probes. And when that happens the a pump/ motor will stop running. And once the coffee in the cylinder gets low enough, the pump and motor will automatically run.

bullshit. try getting a used 5/40 user.

Raspberry PIs are mainstream.

They're meant to replace relays. and the use of relay logic.

So it’s basically just a compact relay system.

user it's a Taiwan shit PLC. not Chink
inb4 it's the same. Most mother board makers and PC part makers are Taiwanese company. Asus, Gygabyte ect.

and programming them is like drawing a print with relays.

Attached: rettrsssfdfs.png (1471x322, 21K)

It's the same shit.

>implying ASUS or Gigabyte or really any mobo manufacturer makes particularly good motherboards
They're all heavily cost optimized pieces of garbage. Even the "high end" stuff.

more compact, more energy efficient, reconfigurable, less expensive, modular, etc...
they're infinitely better than relay systems.
you can't query relay systems.
you can't tune relay systems to 1 ms accuracy.
plcs don't chatter.
they're better in every way.

Ah, basic shit. I thought it required some ASM witchery.

an example of a controls print with relays.

Attached: h1016v1_115_1.jpg (536x697, 58K)

oh and btw there's another one for $75.
ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-BRADLEY-PLC-5-40-PROCESSOR-MODULE-CAT-1785-L40BC-701925B-USED/293142677579

Granted these are just the process module. I don't know what other modules you'd need. But if you can make a functioning PLC with 2-3 and are willing to wait and score each one cheap you can piecemeal a PLC together for a fraction of the price of a new one.

well it's fun though because I can write a program on the computer to control it. pretty easily.
If it was Ethernet based then I could very easily write apps in visual studio to control it from my computer. So I no longer have to turn on the sprinklers manualy, I can sit on my ass in my air conditioned house and run a program on my PC that tells the PLC to do it's thing.
I got one with serial ports instead of Ethernet so I 'm going to have to run phone lines instead of Ethernet, but it can still connect to my PC and communicate. I'm planning to put them on a separate server that is not connected to the internet. So I can do home automation without everything connected to the net.

one, that's not a tenth of $100
second, I only brought up 5/40s because they are still used in industry, if you find one for cheap it's likely trash.
Third, I don't want to fuck with DH+ I already do at my work and any PLC that uses that outdated protocol for networking is trash to begin with.

and most arduinos you'll find come right out of china.

Also you have to buy a license for RSlogix-5 to program them, which is still over a thousand dollars.

>one, that's not a tenth of $100
nitpicking semantics, whatever captain autism, you got that point I was trying to make, you can get one a lot cheaper at a fraction of the price 1/10th 1/3 1/2 doesn't matter it's a bargain either way.

> if you find one for cheap it's likely trash.
You just went on about how hardy they were. Even if they were abused they should be able to withstand it and should still be functional or only need minor repair. I can't imagine you do so much work at home you can't spare an hour or two of your free time to repair and restore a broken PLC assuming it's not in working condition when you receive it.

>Third, I don't want to fuck with DH+ I already do at my work and any PLC that uses that outdated protocol for networking is trash to begin with.
So you'd rather fuck with crappy chink software instead?

I'm sure you know where to find software online for free by now user... licenses are no longer an excuse.

>4-20mA analogue instead of IO-link.
There is something to be said for simple.

They are just a microcontroller with an obtuse programming interface. Ladder logic the 'language' is a graphical diagram similar to a schematic with relay coils and contacts. A project with significant algorithmic complexity is not fun.

DH+ isn't software. no computer since the 90s has had a DH+ port on it.

Isn't automation direct worst Korean?

Create an adapter to convert it some other more standard communication protocol. Sounds like a fun project actually. Or buy an off the shelf solution. I'm sure one already exists.

DH+ to Ethernet adapters are $2000 user.

>Cuck Koyo
Figures, fuck this board

and DH+ was industrial standard....in the 70s.

I think anything more serious uses structured text instead of ladder diagrams though.

Here's your obligatory reply, faggot jew.

>user why don't you use an arduino.
because I don't have to.

Retard

Correct. Using ladder logic to program a PLC is about like what using schematic entry to program an FPGA is.

It's amateurish and is really only used in the context of a classroom.

>simple
user have you every wired 60 flow meters to analog? you know what would make it easier? having a cable that you just plug in.
But yes, go ahead and deal with the 4 to 6 wires per sensor user. I'm sure you'll keep it all straight and I'm sure it won't be a pain in the ass to the maint guy who has to work on it after you.

Attached: EC_NP_20180413_01_IO-Link-Hubs_Fieldbus_Modules_rdax_717x401_100.jpg (717x401, 85K)

nope, ladder logic is used in industry. try getting a real job and you'd see.

>4-20
>4-6 wires per sensor

lol retard. 4-20mA is a two wire system. I know, I work with transducers that use this protocol on a daily basis.

Do the algorithmic complexity on the HMI. You can use visual basic with most SCADA systems. The PLC is meant for control, not math. it's meant to replace relays. don't use it for shit it wasn't intended for.

You go from having a handful of transistors and resistors per sensor and 2 or 3 conductors per sensor to having a full microcontroller and specialized wiring and connector per sensor. Every wire, every solder joint, every line of code is a potential failure point. Iolink won't be more reliable. It will probably be easier to diagnose and will cost more. Something I am sure vendors love.

+24VDC
COM
Signal 1
Signal 2

4 pin M12 is standard dipshit.

Attached: F7800074-01.jpg (444x273, 13K)

Handling controls, like motion or even temperature means coding a control loop. That loop needs to be real time. You don't want to push that into your high level HMI or pc front end. It should be on the PLC, and not working in whatever proprietary block the vendor provides is far superior.

Uh, buddy. 4-20 literally only need +24V and COM. idktf signal 1 and signal 2 are. That's some extraneous shit your application might be using but the 4-20mA current loop is done via the power rail. You'd connect your DUT to your PLC and measure the current it's that's being sourced to the device or sunk from it. In my application we measure the current on the low side.

> cost more
user 8 point analog input cards for Flex-IO are $1000 each.
8 point IO-link master is like $300
You don't have to program with IO-Link too much, with Allen Bradley IO-link masters can be added as modules just like any other remote IO.

Lots of stuff does not need all that. TI makes chips that make it easy to scavange power from the two wires for a transducer and encode the 4-20ma on the same wires.

>Coding a control loop
Most PLCs have a PID block user.

My world is not simple.

you're still gay, because I can plug in all eight sensors in less than a minute, you'll be there fucking around with a screw driver for a while.

Okay, well have fun with your expensive over-engineered solution designed to save literally two seconds of your time.

How do you handle different cable lengths per sensor? Buy a special cable per sensor or multiple end to end junctions per sensor? Simple 4-20 ma you just wind what wire you need off the reel, use a couple screw terminals. It is as simple as it gets with no extra terminations.

>$300
>expensive
have fun with your $1000 analog card faggot.

I guess you can splice it if you really like taking dick in the ass or you can just buy a cable that's the right length.

Also, it's designed to put the sensors on a network, not to save time. saving time is just one of the benefits.

That ADC exists in your system too, its just pushed into the sensor itself.

lol, what $1000 analog card? There is no $1000 analog card. I have literally no idea what you're talking about. You do not need a $1000 "analog card" to measure current. You can literally do it with a sense resistor a differential amplifier (op-amp) and a ADC. That's like less than $5 worth of parts. Of course if you're a company of some kind you probably have some fancier data acquisition system but hey the measurement can be made for ridiculously cheap if desired.

user... how much is Allen Bradley paying you to shill their PLCs here? Surely you should know that shilling is against the rules.

>There is no $1000 analog card.

Attached: afdafdfadafd.png (1225x839, 387K)

I'm not, I'm shilling imf's shit. Allen Bradley would rather you buy their analog card than an IO-link master.

user I'm not a faggoty electrical engineer playing with a soldering gun. there isn't time for bullshit like that.
When you work in industry you're expected to get shit running now. so having plug and play pre built modules is always the way things are done.
unless you're a total faggot like yourself.who likes to do the job of a chink.

A 4-20ma module with 2 outputs and 4 inputs is $155 for automation direct click PLC. (Mentioned above)
automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/programmable_controllers/click_series_plcs_(stackable_micro_brick)/analog_i-z-o

>implying there aren't multichannel data acquisition systems designed to handle multiple 4-20mA measurements available for a fraction of the price of a PLC + analog card totaling thousands of dollars

>When you work in industry you're expected to get shit running now. so having plug and play pre built modules is always the way things are done.
Right, too stupid to do actual troubleshooting and do it quickly so they have to make your job literally retard proof. Got it.

looks dangerous.
> but I'm never seen an arduino use in a serious workplace
speaking of bullshit. you need to get out of your step dad's basement once an awhile. arduino is common as rpi.

>KEK KOYO
kek

stuxnet

wow first time I've ever seen SCADA mentioned on 4chin. Did a SCADA job for my internship. Was kind of interesting but also rly boring. Is it worth to pursue as a career?