/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards
>Great durability (excl L and E series)
>Utilitarian design
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Most models are easy to repair, upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model and spare parts are easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, easier to use when typing
>Good for Hackintoshing

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500
Models before *40 series can be Corebooted

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available for a good price, socketed CPU (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Chink Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, miniDP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 1342028260520.jpg (900x675, 138K)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd008469
pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#xcx=0&s=301600&t=9&h=0
aliexpress.com/item/32818102165.html
youtu.be/zbJJRXM0PRs
ebay.com/itm/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-for-Beast-Expresscard-w-Cable-AC773/222503476987
ebay.com/itm/2-Dual-Port-USB-3-0-HUB-Express-Card-ExpressCard-54mm-Hidden-Adapter-for-Laptop/262964912031
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: Stallman.jpg (335x331, 34K)

Please refrain from posting nazi pedophiles in this thread

RMS did nothing wrong

buy a Thinkpad all the turbospergs say. "Thinkpad has the best keyboard ever made."
one fucking key on my Thinkpad breaks off. oh great, Lenovo doesn't even fucking sell replacement keyboards, so i gotta roll the dice on ebay buying cheap plastic garbage from Gookistan. which one to buy? there's only a dozen different models and shifting names of brands and shad fly by night foreign vendors to pick from. each vendor swears "Authentic OEM Lenovo Chiclet Keyboard!" bought from the vendor with the highest number of sales, arrives from somewhere in Inner Mongolia in under 1 week.

attempt to install the goddamn piece of shit keyboard in my Thinkpad. what the fuck, goddammit China, can't you gooks do anything right, your fucking knock off keyboard is like 1mm too big and just barely won't slide inside the keyboard slot. force it down, breaking the stupid plastic crap grill between the keys. rip that shit off the keyboard, now it fits close enough.

2 weeks later of daily use i notice fucking square indentations on my screen. what the shit?! thank you China for you utter inability to manufacture anything within millimeter precision. your fucking piece of shit keyboard keys rise up just 1mm and press against the laptop screen, slowly scratching it and leaving permanent indentations. now when i fucking have big white web pages open, i can see fucking squares on the screen.

"buy a Lenovo, they make the best keyboards" the turbospergs say. in my ten years of owning Macs, i never even heard of problems with the keyboard scratching the close screen.

You're an absolute retard, if this isn't a copypasta tell us what did you try to actually buy

>complaining about parts sold by random chink vendor
>manufactured in chinkland
>manufactured by chink company
>designed by chink company
>everything is chink in thinkpads from start to end
Wait for trump to bring manufacturing back to America, then you'll be able to get your made in burgeristan applel products. Oh wait, never gonna happen cause minimum cuck policy.

So, got free R40 2723 (originally xp, "upgraded" to 7) Need to replace backlight (likely inverter too)(or whole screen if good price), new F9 key (found replacement for $2, but if anyone has suggestions), and a new tittlemouse (touchpoint). All in I think I can get away with less than $30 in. Would love some direction from y'all though. Other planned upgrade are swapping out the .5 gb stick of ram w/ a gig stick to Max out to 2gb. And eventually recelling the battery.

I have an old Thinkpad X41 that doesn't boot (just some indicator lights that illuminate when trying to). How much is it worth and how much can I expect to sell it?

whats wrong with e series thinkpads?

I want to get a WWAN model for a T495. How can I find out which are compatible?
I see the one that that can be mounted in the configurator is quite expensive and I would like to spend less even if performance is a bit worse. Maybe an older model or something like that.

the new ones aren't that bad desu

>possible job placement at IBM
Vros...

Attached: IMG_20190821_211425.jpg (3968x2976, 2.68M)

Oi f4ms
Need to urgently order a replacement for a t420 keyboard
Wanting to know if anyone has any experience with this bad boi

Attached: Screenshot_20190919-131709_Amazon Shopping.jpg (1080x2220, 677K)

what the heck is a JANRI and that's expensive just google the FRU number
support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd008469

Remove yourself first then

I'm about buying x200t. Could yo fill this up?

Attached: lENFxz3.png (664x544, 18K)

they are big and fat compared to real tablets and pen+paper is much more convenient

Attached: 1568896968594.png (664x544, 21K)

Looks like the cost is relatively the same even when duckduckgoing my answers :^)

how do i cope with having bought this lenovo P50 back in january 2018 for 1500 euro (it had 3 ssd driving up the price)? I now see P52 with P2000 quadro for 1700€ which much more powerful that the P50 i have now, but there were no P52 at that price back in january 2018. Also everything cost more in europe

pls help me cope

>bought 2666mhz ram sticks
>can't even use them on the P50

I CANT COPE HELP ME

tech devalues fast and new things come out every couple of months, that's normal, that's how all of this works

at least when i spilled my drink on it, it didn't die like that other trash *pple laptop

p50 peed out the water at the bottom like a champ

How do I install macOS on my x220?

Attached: 1536021145285.jpg (1200x886, 101K)

>Wait for trump to bring manufacturing back to America
Trade wars are easy to win
Trump already brought back all the the jobs KAG

Guys, I picked up a Lattitude cpx-j laptop, from circa 1996 or so. I'm ordering some memory to boost it to 512mb ram, and an ssd. QUestion: does the pentium 3 have intel manage engine?

I'm running a lite linux on it connected with a pcmcia network card. Runns pretty gud, and comfy keyboard with full travel. Might try xbuntu or something.

Attached: P1320349.jpg (1440x1080, 171K)

what is a useful expansion for the ExpressCard slot for a x220?

>does the pentium 3 have intel manage engine
none of the pre Intel Core cpus have it

nothing

Attached: 1546946351523.jpg (1024x1024, 68K)

Should I buy a T430 128Gb ssd for $150? I just need a laptop for working and programming, got a gaming pc at home

Does anyone has any experince with thinkpad t440? I can get it for a good price but im not completely sure about GNU/Linux support on it.

Yeah, I bought a thibkpad t60 and t400, now I'm sure I have to replace the battery on the t60 and I'm planning to do the same to the t400. Where do you get your replacement batteries, genuine is the only option right? But where can you find new and how can you tell the difference from the fakes?

Maybe those USC 3.0 slots

What thinkpad should i buy if i need it for school and a little bit of programming and i only care about battery life?

To the user that was asking about the 3rd gen x1 tablet, I went ahead and ordered a used i5 model and will post pics when it arrives

I need three or four chemo sessions after witnessing this picture

depends on budget, most likely some X-series with an extended battery

What are some nice places to buy an Advanced Dock 250310U, without costing too much? Yes, I already checked eBay. They're really overpriced there.

Attached: boom.png (450x399, 221K)

Just bought a T430 i5/12GB/500GB spinner, absolutely love it. Are there any essential upgrades I should know about, apart from an SSD? What should I use my express slot for?

>Modern models:
>>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap

what about the X240 Jow Forums? I can get a used one dirt cheap with an i5, 8gb ram and a 240 gb ssd (planning to use it for android development mostly)

No one buys batteries?

Upgrading my T450 from 4gb ram to 8gb. What would I search in amazon to find the correct ram for my unit?

Just look at what you already have, RAM almost always had a sticker saying what it is.

pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#xcx=0&s=301600&t=9&h=0

just pick if you want 2x4gb or 1x8gb

I got a T440s but what the fuck is up with this keyboard? I need some help to figure it out is there a tutorial somewhere? Why are my Z and Y keys switched, but when i press Z it still gives me Y? I really cant recognise 40% of the keyboard. Also why cant i type a fucking slash in the command prompt?

Attached: 1568911912877.jpg (2011x3017, 2.91M)

Hi normfag here should I get a thinkpad X1 carbon or a MacBook for premier Pro/photoshop, browsing and college computer science?

Because it's a QWERTZ keyboard retard

Stop posting bait. Pic of keyboard please.

because those are just key caps
either someone removed them and cleaned the keyboard and replaced them incorrectly
or
there is a discrepancy between the keyboard language and your OS language

here. i see that its not the same as the pics in google in some places thats why i need help. and even if its qwertz why does the Z still give me an Y?

Attached: IMG_20190920_001413.jpg (4160x3120, 2.31M)

because your OS layout is QWERTY

The symbol on the key isnt what determines what the key types.
Your OS is set to normal old QWERTY.

Like the other anons said, your OS layout is set to QWERTY but you have a QWERTZ keyboard. You should be able to get replacement keyboard and swap it out. You might as well go for maximum comfy while your at it.
aliexpress.com/item/32818102165.html

>spacebar smaller than japanese penis
>comfy

>Also why cant i type a fucking slash in the command prompt
ok now can someone answer this please because its really fucking me up.

Did you change your OS's keyboard layout? Did you try pressing the -_ key?

I recently bought a T430.
Can i go hackintosh in this thing without flashing the bios?

Why don't you own a quad core libreboot system /tpg/ ?

youtu.be/zbJJRXM0PRs

Attached: download.jpg (199x253, 7K)

>Did you change your OS's keyboard layout
no its US and i did try all the usual buttons even alt + 92 or 47

well that's not a US keyboard idiot, change your keyboard layout and then simply shift+7

fixed it

yes you can but you will have to use a usb dongle to get wifi working instead of swapping the intel wifi card with a macos compatible card
because i use a quadcore corebooted t430. wish it were a w530 though

X220 or x230 or x240

I can get same specs for same price, i don't like x240 touchpad but i will take it if hardware is much better then first two. Are there any hidden bugs with these model, i do not want to spend much time fixing them.

x240 is weaker than x230, X230 is less 'free' than X220
X240 touchpad can be replaced with X250 touchpad

Should be fine, plan on replacing the touchpad with one that has actual buttons.

Does anyone know the fix to T440's not powering on unless they're plugged in? Very impractical for a laptop.

Attached: ндомы-.jpg (811x1140, 191K)

Better battery life on x240 though
and is more efficient with energy

also the posibility of double battery

Is x220 weaker than x240? All 3 i look have i7 cpu, so which is best one? Is there some cons of some generations of intel cpu's.
I don't want to pay more money just for touchpad so x240 is probably isn't for me. And max of 8gb of ram is shit.

> x230 is less 'free' than x220

What do you mean by 'free' user?

I have seen cheap batteries for x220 and x230 so i think i will buy a second one to cary with me. X240 have i think maximum of 8gb of ram, i am not thinking of upgrade soon but i would like to have 16gb laptop, are there any other good reasons to buy x240 other than battery life?

>Is x220 weaker than x240?
graphics are weaker, cpu power not sure never looked, X240 uses ULV cpu's though
>All 3 i look have i7 cpu
not that big of a deal over the i5's really since they're all dual-cores
> What do you mean by 'free' user?
if you don't know then it's not important

Is the 3K screen and 512 ssd worth $200 extra on a W541? Probably not right, does anything even run at that resolution natively?

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/
I was wondering what models/model ranges were the X-series' competition in the early 2000s (pre-Lenovo, Pentium days). I want to get a 12-13" 4:3 laptop for very cheap, and the thinkpads from that time usually go for >20€ on ebay which is too much for such old hardware, IMO.

I agree. Those nipple buttons are what make the whole thing.

1tb SSD's are $100 now, so not really

Is $205 a good price for a 440P?

Specs?

Sorry i forgot. It has an i7-4600M, 16GB of ram, a 260GB SSD and a GT 730M.

Seems fine to me. If it isnt 1080p, nice IPS panels are only like $40

>posting a pedophile
>probably is a pedophile himself

Is 900p, I think is fine.Im not from the US and those panels are really expensive here, the cheapest 440p here is like $400.

You might find a quad core model for around that price, but if it's in good condition it's a good deal regardless. I paid $125 for a basic i5 model and have about $70 in upgrades plus a 1080p panel on the way. I might pick up a T450 touchpad and another 8GB stick.

What OS should I install on my X220 Jow Forums?

whatever u want

Thoughts on T480?
I need a new work laptop by next week so I have to order something tonight, can't deal with having my laptop break again every 1-2 years.

Thanks for the help. I forgot to say that it had the pad upgraded too.

whatt model thinkpad is this?

Attached: mpv-shot0001.jpg (1920x1080, 394K)

If it normally costs $400 why are you asking if $250 is worth it, with all those upgrades too.

P70 I guess (or p71,2,3), because numberpad means it's a haswell or newer 15.6"+ laptop, then the power button being to the right of the numberpad says it's a 17" laptop and not a 15.6" variant

Budget is ~500. I pack my backpack really full and walk multiple miles per day. I need the thinnest, lightest laptop I can get. 14” preferably and beefy enough to run photoshop/FL studio. Does thinkpad have anything to offer me? My current laptop is 4lbs and gets pretty damn heavy

>P70 I guess (or p71,2,3)
also they all have the mic/headphone jack on the right side so i can't deduce it down anymore

DYEL

PRed bench at 215x3 last week ;_;

I already know that it is cheap compared for what i can get it here for, I wanted to know if it was cheap in the US.

What would /tpg/ recommend if I was dead set on buying new?

Attached: 1539490656524.png (188x264, 77K)

I got a T440p last month with 1080p IPS, i5, 128gb ssd and 500gb HDD, 4gb ram for $240.
That's almost 2 plates, why are you such a faggot and what do you fill your backpack with? A lightweight 14" like the T45/60s would still be around 3lbs so it wouldn't make much difference.

P52/3.

Textbooks, notebooks, external HDD, earbuds, charging dock, misc stuff. That fucker prolly weighs around 40lbs when it’s full

quit carrying so much tard junk

E495. It's like 540 on Newegg rn

Almost nothing, X41's go for like $50 if they work.

External GPU adapter
ebay.com/itm/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-for-Beast-Expresscard-w-Cable-AC773/222503476987

USB 3.0 card which isn't as fast as the native USB 3.0 ports but still convenient
ebay.com/itm/2-Dual-Port-USB-3-0-HUB-Express-Card-ExpressCard-54mm-Hidden-Adapter-for-Laptop/262964912031