Hackintosh Thread

>what is a hackintosh?
Basically, hackintosh is the practice of installing OS X/macOS on a non-apple computer. This is done through the use of a bootloader such as clover or chameleon and custom drivers (kexts - kernel extensions) for non-apple hardware.
>why use macOS?
If someone wants to use a unix-like machine but wants convenience, a nice looking UI, third party programs that are unavailable on Linux such as Microsoft office and Adobe, macOS could be a nice alternative.
>but I heard macOS sucks!
Not really, every OS sucks, but for different reasons. Personally, I think the only reasons holding macOS back are the following:
-lack of openGL 3.3+
-lack of Vulkan (which is being somewhat fixed by third party companies like valve who are working with implementing Vulkan api calls from metal 2 - Apple's equivalent of directX)
-awful default keyboard shortcuts (which can all be changed)
-lack of features on the file manager compared to linux (which can be easily fixed with XtraFinder)
Like always, Jow Forums will try to meme people into believing that the system sucks by bringing up old bugs and/or security issues that are already patched. Most issues are patched within 2days to a couple weeks. Sometimes, they'll even mention defects related to Mac machines which is irrelevant in the context of hackintosh.
>ok, how do I get started?
Guide:
hackintosh.gitbook.io/-r-hackintosh-vanilla-desktop-guide/
Power managing:
github.com/stevezhengshiqi/one-key-cpufriend

Attached: also requesting pics of non-macshit computers with apple stickers like this.png (500x373, 192K)

but why?

maybe you need to use mac-os software?

But does it have muh freedums?

>but I heard macOS sucks!
>Not really
really! you lose something like 70% of an nvidia gpus performance on macos

theres none that is exclusively macos and doesnt have an alternaive

Can I use hackintosh to develop iOS apps legally?

not legally, but noone will know. dont use need an x license as well (100/year)?

You can't use anything newer than High Sierra if you go with Nvidia anyway.
Yes!

Attached: 1565280332834.jpg (1280x960, 119K)

Can you please elaborate more? I don't want after spending hours building my application, it is suddenly taken because it wasn't done on Apple machine.

Didn't mods banning you and purging you off the board 5 times last week get it through your tiny rat brain that you will never belong on Jow Forums?
Have you even checked the sticky recently?

well its in the licensing terms. for x developement. will they actually know though? who knows

I run a couple hackintoshes daily. Perfectly stable and they give me everything I need. I use an Optiplex 790 with a GT 710 and a ThinkPad X230, both running Mojave. These machines were super cheap. Like 1/5 the cost of a Mac.

Source?

>You can't use anything newer than High Sierra if you go with Nvidia anyway.
What are you talking about? I use GT 710 with Mojave.

Attached: captcha.gif (280x280, 2.69M)

Still no support for nvidia cards?

>Source?
search it up, its something 40 to 70 depending on the application. especially worse on cuda applications like video rendering. i dont think amd gpus are affected too badly compared to a proper mac, but they still perfoem worse overally

I haven't noticed any performance loss. Everything is nice and fast and smooth on my system.

>it's a mactoddler manchild thinks he or his manchild toys belong on Jow Forums episode

Attached: 1557762209476.png (400x1650, 367K)

Attached: 1568838122843.jpg (1919x1079, 290K)

>-awful default keyboard shortcuts
Which were slavishly copied by Microsoft for Windows.

It's triggered by Mac stuff appearing on Jow Forums.

I've done it before. I never push them to the Apple store, my supervisor does that.

youre using a gt710, you cant even run cuda properly.

I got a Hackintosh, I was surprised with how easy it was to set it up.

Hackintosh and have a Win 10 Virtual Machine, comfy.

why not run parallels?

Been using this a bit to get more familiar with OS X (for work)

Things have been working well, my only problems are no trackpad gestures and 2 crashes. A new trackpad is on the way that might work and the crashes were from running a 3440x1440 monitor @ 100hz... I think

The way Catalina is shaping up, Mojave might be "the last good release"

Attached: IMG_20190905_180938380_HDR.jpg (3120x4160, 2.67M)

>The way Catalina is shaping up, Mojave might be "the last good release"
What's wrong with Catalina? I'm still on Mojave by the way.

>pajeetOS

Attached: 1561377523106.png (828x1418, 166K)

How well does osx run on an x230 these days? I have been thinking about doing a tripple boot (arch+win+osx) for a whil but I remember there being some issues with the wireless not working in osx and changing wireless on a thinkpad is a pain in the ass.

WLAN doesn't work and the trackpoint is extremely buggy. Everything else works. Touchpad is shit but fully functional. Sleep works. Battery is fine.

I used to play with hackintosh a few years ago. Not long ago I decided to update the USB installer just because.

It's practical if the software that you use works fine on Hackintosh, but it's pretty unremarkable. I can't think of that many things I can do on macOS that other systems wouldn't let me do. It's "comfy" in the aspect that there's not much to change and it's pretty functional out of the box (except for the hackintosh part which honestly for me these days is just literally copy some files over an EFI partition, wow so difficult) and there's little things that are neat about it. I still have my old ass magic trackpad and I'll be honest, that was cool to use alongside keyboard shortcuts. Some shortcuts are retarded, some make more sense to me.

The issue is the way they went, the only thing that hackintosh has improved in the last few years, aside from hardware support, is the dark mode and a few features that other OSes have had for generations now (like arranging files putting folders first or having an easier way to hide and show hidden files). Not only that, I've come to the realization that I do spend quite a bit of time playing games that do -not- perform well on it. It's definitely worse than Linux on that aspect. If I want to deal with virtualization, the only thing that I can do that serves that purpose well is use Parallels, which is again inferior than what loonix provides (however it's hassle free, gotta admit that).

i'd do it but can't be fucked to replace my x220 wifi card

I use Dell wifi card. Works out of the box.

Attached: CrackOS.jpg (5344x3008, 1.29M)

Xcode? Also, any software that people use that you want to work with? Of course, word is an alternative to pages, but that doesn't mean you can always switch. If you want to work on a project that uses Logic Pro, you can't convince the project to switch to some alternative. You're not RMS who gets people to work around his autism, in the real world you're just the weirdo who apparently can't work with others as his laptop doesn't support the software

>macOS sucks because some drivers suck
Does any mac come with Nvidia graphics anyway? I thought they switched to amd a good while ago but I might be wrong

The last macs that came with Nvidia and still supported is the MBP 2012-2013. They have Kepler cards and supported up to Catalina (now knowing that novideo stopped supporting kepler, i guess they'll pull the support plug from the Ivybridge models in the next macos release).

>macshit
Found your problem.

you do realize macos developers literally shit in the street right?

Nice damage control, wintoddler.

>Xcode
top fucking kek, why would anyone use this pile of trash?

Praise kek, fellow pede.

>is proven wrong
>t-top kek I don't want to use Xcode anyway, so why would anyone else?
Some people develop apps and earn money. You know? Money is what you need when you don't live in your parents' basement

@72815448

Attached: 1547625624574.jpg (1012x1279, 216K)

i dont live in my parents basement. but why fucking use an inferior tool for the job? and giving xcode as prime example as to why you should install hackintosh is just stupid. furthermore i'm not the same fag you replied to earlier.

Why is it stupid? How would you develop iOS apps?

No one cares about your manchild gaymes iToddler.

Attached: 1557568623606.png (1024x574, 172K)

>The only thing people can program are games
Not everyone is a manchild like you.

>no intel wireless drivers or drivers for most wireless cards (which are most if not all soldered intel ones nowadays)
>no nvidia drivers past pascal on high sierra when 2 new versions of the system are already out
>no nvidia drivers for laptops, at all
>only now touch support is becoming viable with voodoo i2c and even then it's trash
Hackintosh is dumb.

Attached: 1568770306552.jpg (473x473, 59K)