Set-Top Box Thread

What set top box do you use for your TV and why?

How important do you consider auto-framerate switching?

Attached: 5709686_sd.jpg (1451x937, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.plex.tv/t/early-access-for-plex-pass-users-to-new-apple-tv-ios-video-player/335439
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Apple TV because it's the best, it's idiot proof and made for boomers so you'll never have any issues. The cleanest UI too.

>How important do you consider auto-framerate switching?

Not sure, I've never noticed judder issues watching playback on my PC monitor which I assume does not have it so I can't comment on it's usefulness though I assume it's better to have it on than not.

I used a roku first but switched to the nvidia shield to run kodi. My thoughts: The smooth performance and multitasking is nice. The included controller sucks but the newer Amazon fire TV remote pairs with it and works way better. Game streaming works but I think being connected via ethernet is necessary to make it playable input lag wise. It can also run emulators quite well. Only complaint is that it won't decode a very particular codec used in some of muh anime.

Using a fire tv and the codec support is a bit outdated and plex won’t release its MPV version on Android. I’m not sure if I a more powerful Android device (new FireTV or Shield) or just use Apple TV for Plex with MPV so there’s no transcoding ever. Apple TV 4K is $130 second hand

Apple TV is more powerful than The Shield overall, but doesn't really matter for a set-top box, both are overkill most of the time.

I've read the Plex Pass beta player works pretty well on Apple TV now, but your better off just using Plex as back-end and Infuse Pro as front-end. Infuse does not transcode ever and it's a bit cheaper than Plex Pass overall.

Infuse is also the better player overall, I find it to have much faster seeking etc with a cleaner UI.

Also Infuse has a Plex connect option, so you just connect Plex trough infuse and that way you are set. Plex will handle all server metadata, Infuse will handle playback only.

You only need plex pass for hardware accelerated transcoding which my server can’t do and isn’t necessary due to mpv. Infuse is the way of the past. No consistency across multiple machines, either.

To be clear:

Plex Pass beta player is the MPV player -> if you already own this, just use it and don't pay for Infuse. They now serve the same functionality as far as avoiding transcoding.

If you don't own Plex Pass -> get Infuse and connect it to Plex -> will avoid transcoding issues at a lower price than paying for Plex Pass.

Eventually however, the MPV player on the beta player will be standard for Plex so there is that consideration as well.

I hook up the PC with HDMI and give all that shit the finger

Better yet build an HTPC

As far as I know Plex on Apple TV still uses the iOS player as default, the mpv player is only available for Plex Pass users with beta player enabled. That was the situation a couple of months ago, so unless they released a new version it should be the situation still.

Thought I got an email a few months ago saying it was out. The beta was forever ago: forums.plex.tv/t/early-access-for-plex-pass-users-to-new-apple-tv-ios-video-player/335439

Fire stick 4k with kodi and smartyoutubetv installed.

Yet another machine to maintain. Power guzzling. Horrible couch UX. Poor integration of multiple apps and services. Fan noise, takes up extra space in the living area, etc. I much prefer modern media players so it just werx and the only think I need to maintain is my server which is being used by multiple devices not just whatever is connected to my main TV.

Kodi is a nightmare to setup and is only mildly easy to use. Lots of extra effort for any multi device setups. It’s not 2006 anymore, luddite, but you watch content on YouTube so your tastes are confirmed trash anyways. Vlog culture is cancer

Yes, they are very slow with Apple TV support. If you try to enable enhanced player on the current version of Plex on the Apple TV you will get a pop-up screen saying get Plex Pass.

Kodi doesn't need to be set up. The only thing I do is point it to an ntfs share. I don't watch vloggers. I like having a youtube app with an ad blocker.
You're an absolute retard and you have no idea what you're talking about. You're probably a shill.
Sorry my piracy and ad blocking cost your employer some shekels.

>I hook up the PC with HDMI and give all that shit the finger
That's only a viable option for poorcucks with tiny ass houses. That is, unless you're a retard who loves having cables running all over the floor.

Why is the Shield so based?

Odroid N2 with corelec

apple tv 4k
works great, streams HEVC 4k with HDR from plex with no fucking around

I have both Chromecast and a SteamLink connected to my TV.

Chromecast is great because you don't have to update the hardware to support new apps. Apple TV for example may require you to buy a whole new Apple TV to get support for something new. An example is Apple TV 3 not having Plex, but Apple TV 4 does.

The SteamLink is used for games where input lag isn't necessary, or to stream my Desktop for whatever reason. Works great wirelessly.

I bought some $50 chink Android TV box off of Amazon. Gonna hook it up to a Jellyfin server next week. Wish me luck

Amazon botnet sticks everywhere cause I've got prime and the jellyfin app installs from the marketplace. No fucking around and even my wife, kids, oap parents and in-laws can use it.

an HTPC with local media library on a 3,5" mechanical hard drive

Attached: 1568452780721.png (407x718, 197K)

Chink shit. Himedia Q10. My dad bought it since he liked the fancy advertising and it has HDD bay. Work fine for youtube and kodi. It shit itself after an hour or so watching BD from my network share though. Kodi runs like shit on it though but kodi is always shit from my experiences. Thinking of getting a Shield but I have my PC for everything and almost never touch our tv.

First generation Apple TV. Seems like the best option for analog video.

>wife, kids
You mean your wife's kids?

My PC.

What are your thoughts on the Xiaomi Mi Box?

Motorola QIP2500
Because Fuck You.

>it won't decode a very particular codec used in some of muh anime
Why don't you use mx player?

Mibox or h96 PRo PLUS