Have 6 GB left on harddrive

>have 6 GB left on harddrive
>coping a 4 GB file from a flash drive to another flash drive (both >16 GB)
>not enough disk space for operation

Attached: 639E5CDD-AC99-4E6A-98A4-294230B70D00.png (246x334, 101K)

how much free space (NOT total capacity) is left on the flash drive you're copying to (NOT on your hard drive)

It’s empty. Both are fat32 and the disk is NTFS.
I have a fast but low capacity ssd and keep most of my big important files on the dozens of flash drives I have. Virtues of being cheap.

Have you double checked the partition size (might not be as big as the disk) and the copy destination

I'd imagine they're getting the 6gb free from windows explorer, not the advertised capacity of the drive

Invest in a 1 or 2tb USB portable hard drive. I got one for my sister for christmas in 2017 cause she had one of those shitty modern netbook things that only had a 32gb SSD

They said they have 6gb on their hard drive, not the flash drive they're copying to, which they've clarified is empty, so it shouldn't even be relevant.

My mistake, I was assuming they were trying to copy to the internal SSD then to the second flash drive.

I think that’s what’s happening though, windows is making a temporary file on the PC to do the transfer. Wish I knew more about file systems.

So maybe they could copy something else off of the SSD to make more room? Not sure if they've already cut it down to the bare essentials

Windows is a joke.

>he uses ntfs
oh no no no

Defragment your harddrive. It has 6GB, but they are not evenly distributed. And your 4GB file is monolithic and just doesn't fit in any of short memory gaps. When you'll defrag the hdd, it will be more likely to have all free space in one place and your file will finally fit.

Fat32 has a 4GB file size cap.

Use fastcopy

/thread

Indeed 4GB is the hard limit, plus it can be flaky with any files over 2GB.

>welp time to defrag
>...6 hours later...

Attached: defraggin.jpg (730x410, 171K)

Maybe defragging took a long time back in 1998, but its litterally not an issue on SSDs. On HDDs its all done in the background if you run Windows 8.1(the best one) or newer.

>defragging an SSD
Holy shit. LOL

That was the point user, you don't even have to do it.