What is better, KDE Neon or Kubuntu? I know what the differences are, but how do they feel in practice?

What is better, KDE Neon or Kubuntu? I know what the differences are, but how do they feel in practice?

Attached: kde-neon-e1454448724263.jpg (700x311, 13K)

they're literally the exact same thing except one has a more up to date desktop. you'd be better off with kubuntu for stability.

KDE is shit on buntus. Use OpenSUSE, Fedora or Manjaro.

tell me about Manjaro and openSUSE, user. what makes them special? are they good?

Both of them are (or can be) a rolling distro. Manjaro have access to AUR, so you have more selection of software you can put on. OpenSUSE doesn't have access to AUR, but more stable than Manjaro (and slightly more bloated).

I think both are just excellent distros for KDE that just werks without shenanigans.

Manjaro is great, but idk about KDE on it. KDE is generally less stable than other DEs, or at least it was the first 6 months after plasma was released.

I've been using Neon for nearly a year now. It's pretty much my favorite "distro" ever and it works really well. But then again I'm not sure if I'm being a retard or what, but it has weird little bugs all over the place. Neon is using Ubuntu LTS as a base and ships with very basic KDE stuff on top, the only non KDE things are Firefox and VLC and that's about it. It's not really noob friendly because of this, but I like how clean it is.

So far I have the following bugs:
1. For some reason after I install the Nvidia driver, the interface became laggy in some areas, such as opening the "start" menu or doing certain actions like resizing windows sometimes. On Nouveau it was silky smooth. I fixed it by installing the plasma renderer and setting everything to software mode, now it's silky again. (My GPU is a GTX 1060, and I installed the driver using the official run package, but it doesn't change anything if I use a driver helper like the usual PPA everyone recommends).
2. For some fucking reason everything that is supposed to play a sound, like the delete confirmation in Dolphin or even changing the volume has massive lag. IE the confirmation menu for deletion takes like 10 seconds to appear, and even then it appears with massive lag like it takes some time to load the actual contents of the pop-up. I think it's related to the fact that I use audio through HDMI on my GPU instead of the sound card. If I disable HDMI audio and set everything to play on the on board sound card, it works fine.
3. I can't use Wayland no matter what I do. It either crashes my whole system, hangs on a black screen, or is painfully laggy to the point of being unusable.

Other than these annoyances it's literally perfect. If you have any more queries ask away.

Kubuntu if you're a normal user
Neon if you're a KDE developer

here again. I love KDE, the customization is amazing, and it's not affected by the file picker meme (this pretty much makes every other DE unusable for meme posting).I used Manjaro KDE for a long time before Neon. In my experience Neon had less bugs overall, and like I said before it's cleaner out of the box (Manjaro comes with a bunch of dogsshit bloat like Steam, links to the MS Office web suite plus Libre office IIRC, HP printer shit, and more), I also really dislike the Manjaro theme, but I'm one of those autists who keeps everything stock and even changing the theme annoys me. I also dislike using Pacman and prefer using apt but that's just a case of me being a lazy nigger.

I'm pretty sure nVidia doesn't support wayland yet. They only recently started caring about it.
I've had a similar issue to your issue 2., but on Mint. Whenever I were to open anything that uses openGL all my sound would stop and media wouldn't play at all, videos would infinitely load (firefox, mpv, etc.) and audio players couldn't do shit. The only way to fix it was to move the oGL program to output sound over HDMI. This was fixed in like a week or two, or at least it stopped happening.

Neon is fantastic. It's a minimal Ubuntu base, no bloat other than KDE itself. Kubuntu is shit.

ok guys i am confused now. how can one be fantastic and the other shit while they are are also basically the same?
confused noob here, please explain more

Why are you confused? They're basically the same with only 2 differences.
Neon always comes with a more up to date KDE so it gets features and fixes some issues months before Kubuntu will. Because it's constantly updating it's possible that it will introduce bugs and make your OS unstable.
Neon doesn't come with a lot of basic desktop tools Kubuntu does. Neon is just Ubuntu minimal + KDE, nothing more. It doesn't even ship with a calculator from what I remember, also don't expect LibreOffice or things like that pre-installed either.
Some people like stability and pre-installed software, while others prefer up-to-date DEs and less bloat pre-installed. People having different preferences shouldn't confuse you.

Because those posts sounded like they were stating contradicting facts. says that A and B are basically identical while says that A is fantastic while B is shit, meaning there must be some huge difference.

Just use KDE neon. No need to use a non-LTS version of Ubuntu and neon is better in pretty much any other respect. For example it should be more stable than Kubuntu while having newer KDE software.

Can confirm. Have been using Neon and now Kubuntu for quite some time. Had lots of issues with both but love KDE. Is it time to finally fall for the OpenPEPE meme?

Opinions, not facts.

>No need to use a non-LTS
Why? Doesn't LTS just mean it stays old longer?

>KDE is generally less stable than other DEs, or at least it was the first 6 months after plasma was released.
user, that was almost 6 years ago...

You mean 5. Also, I meant KDE Neon not plasma, which was only 3 years ago. I've seen that people are still having the same issues with the wm crashing and losing all window decorations for no reason.

>you'd be better off with kubuntu for stability
This is wrong.
Stability means two different things: lack of change and a return to normal.
The first one is distro speak for we don't update the shit you have.
The second means, we update the shit you have to fix a bug that crashes your program.

KDE crashed a lot when they changed to from kde4 to plasma5. This means for the next 20 years, it is best to never forgive them.
If you however decide to use it, you should use the latest as it has the most bug fixes and thus is the most "stable".
I am one of the kde users because regardless of how much they fuck up, they are a lot better than everything else. Neon is a lot more "stable" as a user.

KDE is nice but you get some weird bugs no matter which version you choose. For example using Neon I could never login as sudo neither after shutting down or anywhere else. The password was correct yet it never worked. Kubuntu has a bug where pressing down a button at the wrong time will freeze your keyboard and touchpad. No more scrolling for typing for you otherwise everything works fine. You can fix that either by suspending the computer or by restarting the drivers, latter won't fix your problem it will restart after 30min. Then there is a bug where will see a window glitching showing some white noise which can get pretty annoying. Other DE have different problems.

I wanted to switch to Neon from Windows 10, but now I'm not so sure about all these bugs.

Run the Live DVD for a while to get a feel of how buggy (or not) it is.

I don't know why, but after using OpenPepe, Kubuntu and Manjaro KDE for about half a year to year each, I must say that for some unexplained reason the most stable was Memejaro. OpenPepe kept shitting up for me, Kubuntu generated small but annoying bugs. Manjaro is nice, stable and mostly bug-less.