Deprecate OpenGl

>deprecate OpenGl
>deprecate 32 bit app support
why did they do this? now I am scared to upgrade..

Attached: macos-catalina-1-610x368.jpg (610x368, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/1996/02/jobs-2/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebGPU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This is a good thing.
Time to move on.

I just wish Inkscape would make a 64 bit version, it's fucking adamant now. Instead, they just refer to it as a rumour.

Deprecate OpenGL? what for? Metal is still a baby, what the heck?

Don't upgrade, I wouldn't. Not until I'm sure everything runs smooth. It's not like .1 versions were ever worth upgrading to anyways.

yeah, yeah.. but I am pretty sure there will be some app in the future that I'll need and that will be still 32bit or it will be using OpenGl..

What's the fucking advantage of removing those features? Cleaner code base?

not if you have a legit copy of abelton 9!

they deprecated opengl? lol its the most portable software out there with GUI software.

Just run that in a VM. Literally any app made in the last decade for macOS has been 64 bit.

>Just run that in a VM.
or better yet, I just wont upgrade. Most of the game ports are 32-bit and need openGL. Now MacOs will have even fewer games...

inb4, go back to /v/

I personally am only losing Halo CE for Mac, but I don't really care since I have a dedicated gaming desktop PC, as should you, if you care about gaming at all, or at least use a Windows install for gaming on your Mac or an external SSD.

But how can Apple force its users to stay on MacBooks with specialized software like Metal if they support opengl :'(

>its the most portable software out there
not anymore

>upgrade

Is it possible install Catalina on T61 laptop?

It’s setting the stage for next-gen ARM Macs with a clean break from 32-bit and OpenGL.

this but unironically

but arm64 can do 32bit and opengl

Lmfao no

>Literally any app made in the last decade
...are you only using new software? you don't have any legacy programs you would like to retain access to? if you care about using new apps why are you even using a computer, then? Buy an ipad

What apps on macOS are you using that are legacy apps? Literally everything I use got updated in the last decade, including obscure shit like Port Map.

But it can't natively run x86 software so what's the point of keeping either around?

DESIGNATED

SHITTING

STREETS

Attached: 1551027128267.jpg (622x938, 100K)

Name one thing you can do with OpenGL that you can't do with Metal.

Run on a non-streetshitterOS.

Attached: 1538956208584.png (828x1418, 166K)

It's now apple vs google for companies removing the most amount of features from their OSes.
Honestly, Android used to be good but google is quickly seeing to that.
At least apple oses had the decency to always be shit so making it even more shit surprises nobody.

> Combined

It literally isn't even #1 and only employs 10% of the poos. Math isn't that hard.

>only tech companies hire pajeets
Back to your designated shitting street iJeet.

Metal vs OpenGL vs vulkan, who's strongest?

I wish Apple would start selling (for profit) security updates for X (10) years for each release.

HTML5, crossplatform, with basically everything OpenGL ES has + more

It is #1. Deloitte isn't in the Bay Area.

itoddler

Toss up between Vulkan and OpenGL. Metal is just decades behind.

iToddlers have defended this.

Prepare for security FUD gas-lighting.

pajeetOS isn't worth running period

Attached: 1562828659642.png (714x834, 393K)

why upgrade, mojave is great

Attached: [Moozzi2] Watashi ni Tenshi ga Maiorita! - 01 (BD 1920x1080 x.264 Flac)-0001.jpg (1920x1080, 307K)

>pajeetOS

by the way, opengl was deprecated in mojave (not removed), i don't think they're removing opengl in catalina either

>Cleaner code base?
That and better performance when devs start to use alternatives. OpenGL is shit in best case scenario and was even worse on MacOS due Apple not bothering upgrading it. Metal is years better and runs on all of their modern hardware.

32bit should've been killed long ago either way.

H1B isnt just pajeets. Also a lot of Indians at these companies are not from India

Pakistan

Can you point out one good thing about Catalina?

They finally finished System Integrity Protection (SIP) with the split of the system into 2 volumes. SIP in 10.11 - 10.14 is useless IMHO.

Make the rendering backend portable to non-apple operating systems.

you're basically doubling the maintenance work because now you have to bugfix more than one rendering backend.

And they added in the ability to use drivers outside of kernel space.

In 1996 SJ predicted the web will fuck everything up.
wired.com/1996/02/jobs-2/
This is happening right now, you can throw Metal, DX, Vulkan etc. into the bin. Bet on an graphics SDK that allows for cross platform compatibility. Ignore the rest.
Fun fact: Apple is "coincidentally" sabotaging this area:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebGPU
They basically claim that webGL sucks and say "Look, we made something based on Metal called webGPU!"
You don't get to become a trillion dollar company by playing fair.
But it doesn't matter. webGL works and it's here to stay.

Attached: 1548962111379.jpg (800x1165, 137K)

SwiftUI, everything else bad

Hilarious. I meant indian americans

That's true, but most people will just use an off-the-shelf engine. They all support DX11, DX12, Vulkan, OpenGL, Metal, GNM and whatever the fuck the Switch's API is called.
Big studios can afford to maintain one extra rendering backend, and everyone else writing their engine from scratch is probably just making a single-platform game.

Android fucking file transfer. This piece of shit software is the only thing out there that is free that interfaces android with macos. Google doesn't even give a fuck anymore to update it to 64 bit. The rest of the apps are paid or don't work

no, you still need to fiddle around with parameter for each platform and what's worse you then have to deal with the WM specific toys.
the reason we have electron shit its because devs stopped giving a shit about all this eternal hamster wheel even do they are rolling in the biggest one

lol, time to move on to adb or better rsync, gramps

Literally use any app on your android that allows SMB or FTP and then it works flawlessly.

They're know their iSheep will buy up their garbage no matter how garbage it is.
>everyone else writing their engine from scratch is probably just making a single-platform game.
I miss back in the 1960s when you could just write code and compile it on anything. Where you didn't have to target specific hardware or operating systems with your high level code. I hope one day 21st computing will become that advanced.

upgrade you boomer

Unlike with iOS, androids bluetooth capabilities aren't crippled. Cmd shift b in Finder.

Tim Cook ruined macos/ios. Since they deprecated iTunes on macs you won't be able to synchronize new iPhone/iOS on older macs if they are not running Catalina.

What is good about SwiftUI? Isn't it another useless shit?

MoltenVK exists and works reasonably well, so you can still write graphics code once and run it everywhere.

>pajeetOS
There's your answer.

I don't get this meme. They've only just now started hiring Pajeets. macOS as it exists today is built by whites. Why not call it crackOS or cuckOS?

Abdul Lateef Jandali literally invented street shitting in California, christening the opening of the main Apple campus at "One Infinite Loo".

Attached: 1554641655574.png (695x1614, 1.06M)

So now you don't like backwards compatibility?
You were a great fan of it when you were a Windows shill.

just wait until they (supposedly) update their cpu for macs to ARM. then you'll fat files with ARM and x86 code in the same binary! geniuses. everyone loves giant executables, no?

WebGL does suck though, so Apple is correct.

WebGL doesn't suck, it allows for releasing cross platform without any further interaction, doofus. Everything can always be better, but it certainly doesn't suck, sucker. Terry A. Davis ran over people in 1996 and kills parrots that repeat everything mindlessly and elephants knees bend forward.

Attached: 1554034303908.jpg (607x608, 44K)

Ok so how do I use UDP for my multiplayer WebGL backed game? Can't be done retard, stuck with TCP which doesn't cut it for realtime applications. This is ignoring how much less performance webGL would have over Metal/DirectX

integer CreateUDPListener( listenerID, ip, port )

There's a possible emulation path: MoltenVK exists, so we just need that OpenGL-on-Vulkan library to finish.

You can't do client connections with UDP on the web m8.

With gentoo you can

Wine has moltenvk now, and they're working on getting dxvk running on metal as well, so it's not going to matter. Also, modern games don't even use opengl anymore.

>Pajeet OS

Who keeps spamming this? Windows fans? Isn't the CEO of Microsoft an Indian?

Vulkan. Less bloatier than OpenGL, basically Direct3D but open-source and cross-platform (except for Mac. iToddlers BTFO!)

Attached: SKM.gif (500x491, 355K)

Dota 2 has more FPS in Vulkan aka. MoltenVK aka. Metal than OpenGL in OS X because the grass setting has no effect. There's no grass rendering in Metal and Dota 2 was more or less treated as an OS X reference benchmark for that Vulkan/Metal/OpenGL memery going on right now.

Paid microsoft shills who are actually pajeets. It's pretty ironic tbqh.

MoltenVK

poojeets at apple can't code

OpenGL needed a modern successor 15 years ago when programmable GPUs and multi-core CPUs entered the mainstream. Metal, D3D12, and Vulkan were each released a year apart from one another and are all extremely overdue.

While Metal is probably the friendliest of the three APIs to use, you still have the options of developing on top of SceneKit, MoltenGL, or any number of cross-platform engines with Metal support and still get much better performance (and energy usage) than with crusty, creaky old OpenGL.

Apple knows what it's doing. The only people making a noise about OpenGL's deprecation are free-software hobbyist developers who 1) reflexively hate Apple despite being just fine with Microsoft, and 2) don't have the resources to properly migrate from the dead platform that is OpenGL.

>reflexively hate Apple despite being just fine with Microsoft
big brain know though that Apple always half-asses the performance part, whereas MS doesn't.

You can use WebRTC for an UDP connection in the browser, but its a lot of work to get it setup for a client server configuration

That's only true when considering legacy OpenGL (ES) software. Apple stuck with OpenGL for far longer than it should have and has since corrected for that with Metal. Even before it gave up on OpenGL around 2010 it was clear any alternative would perform better than that irrelevant overgrown piece of shit.

Also while MS may or may nor prioritize raw hardware performance, it has never been concerned for how many clicks, keystrokes, Google searches, or incantations it takes before the user finally discovers and performs even the most basic tasks like finding the current OS version, finding the computer's serial number, force-quitting a stalled app, or logging out / restarting / shutting down... among many man other things that Windows will always suck monkey balls at.

or knowing what app you're currently looking at

they're breaking as much compatibility as possible before the move to ARM so that they can say they're actually making it more compatible by switching architectures and using emulation for legacy (even 32 bit) programs.

aren't you getting tired

advancing into the future :)

What's wrong with 32 bit applications? They're fully compatible with 64 bit architectures. What's the point??

Dumping the 32bit librarires.

ewww they're old and crusty
go back to your legacy code, microboomer

and 4GB RAM caps

OpenGL has been deprecated for years now. OP is a liar. Maybe they're finally removing it. Its already extremely slow on macOS (on purpose) and its like a decade behind. Apple wants for force people to use Metal and lock themselves into Apple. Vulkan is possiible on macOS, but only thanks to hard, third party work.

90% of h1bs are pajeets, like you for example iJeet

Reactive model for UI.

normal languages are too "confusing" for iJeets

Attached: 1554160152218.jpg (2016x1210, 278K)

Massive amount scientific or visualization software using OpenGL for graphics.

Just recompile the source cod-
Oh I guess you're not allowed to look at the source code, huh? Nice toy you "own" there.

>`˙confusing”