>Debian plans to remove systemd
lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/09/msg00001.html

Attached: dfa.jpg (360x270, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/09/msg00001.html
bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cupcakes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POSIX
doc.rust-lang.org/std/
stackoverflow.com/questions/21177436/is-there-a-published-language-format-standard-for-rust-yet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Debian

who cares

One can dream user, I don't believe it will happen
90% of linux distros leeching from it

OH FUCK OFF REALLY NOW
FUCK OFF! WHY IS THERE NO FUCKING STANDARDIZATION IN LINUX.

No, I'm pretty sure that means they're going to double down on systemd, and remove even more of the legacy init.rc baggage.

>elogind is the systemd project's logind, extracted to a standalone package. It's designed for users who prefer a non-systemd init system, but still want to use popular software such as KDE/Wayland or GNOME that otherwise hard-depends on systemd.

jesus fuck just standardize on systemd nobody cares except clueless retards on Jow Forums

Look at the Red Hat/tips fedora shills coming in force

Glow in the dark in this thread want botnet systemd and muh standardization

i dont like fedora or most things in relation to red hat. because i like lets say kcalc it doesnt mean i like the rest of kde. thats a very childish way of thinking

Holy shit, I hope this truly happens.
Maybe GNU/Linux isn't completely doomed after all.

Shut the fuck up, you fucking retard. Have you ever programmed anything meaningful? I don't want to support your special snowflake system daemon because you are having a hissy fit on redhat. If you don't like RH you can ditch Linux too. RH keeps Linux alive.

oh shit did pottering get money from epstein?

kill yourself, retard

dont waste your energy on people like this. narrow minded retards who'll never go anywhere or work on anything important. they'll be compiling openrc for the rest of their days

I'll switch from Arch in a heartbeat if that happens.

Why are you talking to yourself?

i developed the firmware on 90% of amd cards in the market. let that sink in

Case in point. Systemd lovers just throw insults to whoever doesn't love their feature creep nightmare. Plenty of servers run on SysV and even OpenRC.
Makes sense, Arch were the first to suck Red Hat's cock on systemd.

So that means they are deciding between having KDE and Gnome and using systemd as only possible solution
or they may create a situation where KDE and Gnome and systemd run acceptable (but not really great) and still having elogind for other systems.
I say to the second, because fuck everyone instead of just half the people involved.

>RH keeps Linux alive
They contribute a lot but they're not the only ones. Plus they have a bad fame of trying to monopolize linux in general and force shit on other distros.

redhat is full of idiots. I bet you cheapass shill only use centos too.

From this thread, I can tell that absolutely nobody read the page.
It doesn't say they're removing systemd at all.

Attached: 1369446960901.png (256x310, 20K)

They could have used upstart and build a strong block against systemd but their anti ubuntu resentments where just too strong.

I read it completely and you are correct besides the ideas between the lines.

God you're fucking dumb. I don't give a shit about systemd itself, I care about standardization. I don't want my program broken just because you felt like "systemd ebul let's install *--shuffles deck--* runit xDD"
You sysadmins are more retarded than primitive brain monkeys in the woods.

Anyway upon reading the email it looks like they aren't removing systemd. Lucky you faggots can't even read.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-19 19-22-50.png (3840x2160, 804K)

>lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/09/msg00001.html
It doesn't actually say that they're planning on removing systemd.
They're saying that they have communication problem with systemd developers. Just that. But it doesn't imply removing systemd.

>my dad works for nintendo

>I care about standardization.
Then why the fuck are you using systemd?

>God you're fucking dumb. I don't give a shit about systemd itself, I care about standardization.
Then fuck right back off to Windows if your idea of standardization is "everyone has to use my shit whether you like it or not".

>Rust homosexual
>Also like systemd
Dilate.

based

>Hurrrrr let's standardize on something that shits all over the UNIX philosophy
kys
He's a rust fag? Holy shit it's like a trifecta.

>Then why the fuck are you using systemd?
Because it's the standard.
That's exactly what standardization is, doesn't matter if you like it or not.
Seethe harder, raging incel

>something that shits all over the UNIX philosophy
Linux is not UNIX. Fuck off.

we already have a standard, it's called POSIX
if you want freedom of choice and sort of meaningful differences between distros erased, windows might be more up your alley

POSIX standard is lacking of many useful modern computing needs.

no it isn't

ORANGE CRAB BAD

Attached: bc3.png (636x773, 14K)

>Because it's the standard.
It only runs on Linux (and probably only GNU/Linux), everything else is more widespread.
Not true, at least 2 distros are certified.

This. Fuck DEB and fuck APT. Really shit distro.
(I use void and crux)

>making a piece of information tells something it doesn't tell itself to support your opinion
Literally every medium ever.

>It only runs on Linux (and probably only GNU/Linux)
Exactly. Your special snowflake init daemon is not a standard in GNU/Linux

Oh no muh standardization. There's nothing to standardize in init, it just starts services and gets out of the way. If your program depends on the init system you're a shitty programmer, which already shows if you're using Rust of course.

>raging incel
kys Rustie
>Linux is not UNIX
Rust fag should seriously hang themselves.
SNIB SNIB THERE GOES YOUR DICK.

>Your special snowflake init daemon is not a standard in GNU/Linux
You are right! But why not care about the rest of Unix? Systemd like everything else made by him is designed to break existing standards.

Attached: 1568596167884.png (450x399, 259K)

>post long ass email that nobody can be bothered reading
>claim it says something
>4channel thinks it says that thing

Attached: Devilish_4a1cb5_6238404.jpg (470x595, 81K)

>I don't want to support your special snowflake system daemon
desktop applications shouldn't have anything to do with "system daemons"

Sometimes you can even not post the link and weeks later still see some retards repeating your bullshit.

Oh yeah? You want me to roll my OWN FUCKING DAEMON to monitor certain system events and handle it accordingly?

Of only.. there was a system daemon THAT IS DESIGNED to do the things I want to do...
But noooooooooooooo! MUH SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE INIT DAEMON #442 IS WORTH TRADING FOR PERFORMANCE AND SECURITY NIGHTMARE.

If you have no argument fuck off. Wasting time with low IQ emotionally driven retards is something I'm not interested in doing.

>But why not care about the rest of Unix?
Because rest of the unix is far too non-standardized. Not even their libc are compatible with each other. Nobody really writes software for *BSD.

You have no idea, something as simple alarm/reminder app requires persistent data storage and invocation in realtime.

Attached: 933.png (534x548, 217K)

>Debian plans to remove systemd
Dailymail level of misleading

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, SYSTEMD BTFO!
NOT ONLY DEBIAN BUT NOW ARCH PLANS TO AS WELL:
bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cupcakes

How will Lennart ever recover?

Attached: 1568871161015.png (676x626, 905K)

>something as simple alarm/reminder app requires persistent data storage and invocation in realtime
How does that make it dependent on systemd?

It depends on a system daemon. And I don't want to write 12 different interfaces for 12 different daemons instead of focusing on the rest of the application codebase.

I fucking knew Debian was the most based. Fuck Fedora.

You haven't answered my question.
How does it depend on a system daemon?

>
Who is this cute little lesbian and how tight is her pussy?

>something as simple alarm/reminder app requires persistent data storage and invocation in realtime.
so you mean writing to a file is not possible without systemd?
so you think being started one second later is crucial for a alarm app? an app, which should run all the time and not be rebooted in the first place.
You are fucking braindead you mongoloid.
>invocation in realtime
Hahahaha you fucking buzzword-marketing-mongoloid

>PERFORMANCE AND SECURITY NIGHTMARE
You mean like systemd? lmao init doesn't need NTP and DNS

Attached: 1448568587797.gif (480x320, 3.49M)

>How does it depend on a system daemon?
Because
1. The app needs to be invoked whenever there's an alarm/todo/reminder event
2. Needs to store data across users and needs to be able to wake up from sleep/hibernation/stand-by
3. Be able to provide an option to show alarm while a different user is logged in.
A system daemon takes care of the IPC, realtime app invocation (home user or other user) and remembering events (and invoking the app) when the system has booted.

>so you mean writing to a file is not possible without systemd?
See above .
>and remembering events (and invoking the app) when the system has booted.

>so you think being started one second later is crucial for a alarm app?
Yes. If a user set an alarm at 150000Hrs, it HAS to notify user exactly at that time. That's how alarms work you fucking NIGGER.
>Hahahaha you fucking buzzword-marketing-mongoloid
Just because you don't understand what it means doesn't mean that it's a buzzword. Go back to your i34 window manager ricing you fucking useless NEET.

Nice strawman.

They've reached a point where in order to get a different init system they now have to implement parts of systemd.
This is tardation101. Whomnstever let those retards steer debian into this shithole that redhat dug, should hang xirself.
How are these people getting cucjed by redhat so much, is beyond me.

Attached: 1558685986245.jpg (450x418, 29K)

Pointing out the increased attack surface is not a strawman.

your cherry picked example is cute but real desktop application needs an init system to provide any of that

masterful cope

Way ahead of you Linux weenies, Windows never had SystemD

Attached: 1568868188018.png (582x847, 1.04M)

it's not a cope, it's simple fact
keep your snake oil to yourself

>I care about standardization
why are you using rust? also, systemd is non-standard - corps are using it making it de facto. if you want a standard consider en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POSIX

lol, it doesn't say anything about removing systemd you faggot

you got me excited

systemd is designed to be windows like

Attached: 1531691408878.jpg (640x400, 38K)

>coming to a linux thread to shill windows FOR FREE
POSIX lacks many, many things that you need for achieving something meaningful. POSIX standard doesn't standardize system daemon API.

>why are you using rust?
What does that have to do with anything? Are you retarded?

Attached: 1537716318835.jpg (1200x1200, 217K)

rust doesn't have a standard like C and C++

More like they'll go all-out with systemd because surprise nobody wants to maintain both systemd and sysv, easier configuration is one of the big advantages of systemd but if you have to write old-style scripts anyways well you don't benefit at all.

>rust doesn't have a standard
doc.rust-lang.org/std/

overengineered alarm/reminder apps aren't meaningful
>system daemon API
fuck off

>standard library
That is just an implementation and besides it isn't included in GNU/Linux by default like glibc and systemd.

>modern computing needs

Attached: smile.png (309x368, 166K)

>POSIX lacks many, many things that you need for achieving something meaningful
such as?
>POSIX standard doesn't standardize system daemon API
System V init system was fine and fully compatible with POSIX. use rc.d if you're too lazy to edit some configs.
>What does that have to do with anything?
you're awfully autistic about standards for someone who uses language that has none.

Computing needs haven't changed in the last two decades.

>System V init system was fine and fully compatible with POSIX. use rc.d if you're too lazy to edit some configs.
Fuck no it wasn't. With traditional init you have to keep track of processes with pid files and shit, it just doesn't work reliably. Maybe when servers had loving admins that was no problem, but now something like systemd provides something way better, based on modern Linux developments.

Creating a service that auto-restarts is fucking easy with systemd. It's great for that.

>something that's beyond my 5 liner bash script is called "overengineered"
lol

>That is just an implementation
There's only one implementation.

>Included in GNU/LInux by default
lol what? It generates native ELF

Glibc is does not adhere to standard C itself, which is what majority of Linux and LInux apps depend on. Stop pretending like POSIX is something to care about.

lesoy meme hehe so funneh
go back

rc.d is or any other "POSIX compatible" init has not common interface API. At the end of the day you need to
* detect what init the system is running
* write specialized script for each of those

Rust has a standard, see above.

>Computing needs haven't changed in the last two decades.
POSIX is so lacking it's nothing but a fashion statement. Windows implements POSIX too but it's so primitive you can't do jack shit with it.

>POSIX is so lacking it's nothing but a fashion statement
I would not go that far, it's probably totally enough to write say a web server.

after we've standardized the "system layer", we'll have to standardize the "desktop layer" next
we don't want any deviating solutions :D

mmm that red hat cock sure is tasty

Attached: foot.png (600x600, 12K)

>POSIX is so lacking
it isn't

>we'll have to standardize the "desktop layer" next
It's almost there. Freedesktop, dbus, polkit and flatpak/snap/appimage.

Gone are the days of dependency hell and randomly inconsistent and unpredictable build/runtime results. Look at *BSD if you want to go a decade back.

Linux itself is not written in standard C.

In fact, no bootloader and kernel is written in standard C. glibc isn't standard C. GCC extensions aren't standard C. Leave Linux alone and have its own standard.

>There's only one implementation.
iirc there is another outdated one
>Glibc is does not adhere to standard C itself
GNU (C and its version of POSIX) is the standard on GNU/Linux and if your shitty language doesn't speak it then I am afraid it will have to be dropped.

>At the end of the day you need to
>detect what init the system is running
you don't
>write specialized script for each of those
that's up to the distro maintainers and sysadmins

>Gone are the days of dependency hell and randomly inconsistent and unpredictable build/runtime results.
those days only ever existed on retarded distros like debian

>iirc there is another outdated one
It was an experiment project.
>GNU (C and its version of POSIX) is the standard on GNU/Linux
HAHAHA this is called "bargaining"
systemd is a standard on GNU/Linux too. Go cry in the linux mailing list for depending on nonstandard C and using non standard libc.
Now SEETHE.

sysadmins don't write codes. Application writers do. They won't write anything as they shouldn't. If they were smart enough to do so they wouldn't be doing sysadmins anyways.

they do write simple service scripts at least

the only "standard" in GNU/Linux is GNU and Linux

(and POSIX consequently)

>experiment project
Doesn't matter, it still means your language doesn't have a standard.
>systemd is a standard on GNU/Linux too.
GNU Shepherd is the standard, systemd just has a greater market share. think of .odt and .doc
>Go cry
not an autist over standards

>Rust has a standard, see above.
no it fucking doesn't.
stackoverflow.com/questions/21177436/is-there-a-published-language-format-standard-for-rust-yet
standard library isn't a standard.

>Doesn't matter
It does, Rust is always Rust. A mimicry of Rust isn't.
>GNU Shepherd is the standard,
Says who actually?

An ISO standard is meaningless if there's only one implementation. There is and always will be only one implementation of Rust and the Rust compiler.

>elogind
That guy is a fucking wizard. God bless him.

>A mimicry of Rust isn't.
Systemd is just a mimicry of SysV init and all the other projects its trying to replace.
>Says who actually?
It is a part of GNU unlike systemd.