10 year old netbook

10 year old netbook.

what OS and distro would run reliably and fast on this?
>Intel Atom @ 1.6 GHz
>astonishingly 2GB of RAM
>some old 80GB HDD

Attached: IMG_20190919_1152255.jpg (4056x2704, 3.17M)

Other urls found in this thread:

lgutschow.com/samsung-n150-plus-broadcom-crystal-hd-hack/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Any 32bit linux should work but for a GUI/desktop you won't be able to find many options beyond openbox, lxde or some tiling ones.

You could try the raspbian / debian based distro for x86. That would probably work the best out of all the options as it's optimized for worse specs.

Best experience would be as an ssh terminal though.

Currently running Debian + LXDE. Too slow to play video at 20 FPS even at the screens 480p resolution. Fan is running at max speed even without load. Otherwise it's fine.

the raspbian version of debian + lxde is a lot more optimized than default debian.

as for playing video...

get a cheap ssd you retard

I use an Eee PC 900HA and I get along fine with Debian and Window Maker, it's quite light on resources. I can stream video with mps-youtube and mpv, but only up to 360p. Even then, you can't multitask while doing it because everything will lock up. I put an SSD in mine and it greatly improved performance. So maybe try that.

Put 2TB HDD into it, install Debian without any GUI/Desktop and disconnect display. Now you have your own home server.

get a light wm like icewm on cheap ssd

i have an old MSI Wind that im pretty sure has the same specs as the old eee pc. but the unfortunate problem is
its 'usable' but its just so fucking slow. even though back in the day i was using it to watch 720p video on windows, i don't think rips are that low bitrate anymore, i dont think the linux drivers are efficient, and that asshole that made the intel GMA integrated graphics booster only made it work on windows and its not open source

lgutschow.com/samsung-n150-plus-broadcom-crystal-hd-hack/

Could try something similar to this?

Do you have a desktop?

RDP or VNC or whatever into. Let it do the work, laptop just decodes the video and sends input redirects. Very light on resources. Although you haven't specified the CPU Soni don't know what video hardware decoder it's got. Halfway modern ones will do x264 and you'll have excellent quality as long as the wifi isn't slow.

I'm doing just that on an 8 year old low spec craptop. Threw a 120gb SSD and RDP into my windows desktop and you honestly wouldn't know it was remote at all

If you really want it to feel snappy, Alpine Linux with Mate desktop.

>Intel Atom
>reliably and fast
lolwut

windows xp or stripped down windows 7

I have two of these (Acer and HP).
One supports 64bit, other one doesn't.
I use them for development.
Lubuntu/Xubuntu in both of them.
Any LTS distro works, but you have to pick a lightweight DE.

I have an atom n570 netbook. The cpu has no bugs.

Attached: IMG_6559.jpg (1600x1067, 342K)

The first Atoms were terribly inefficient.
Chipset would waste more energy than the processor.

The idea seems very tempting, but that would also mean that I'd have to run my multi-hundred-watts desktop 24/7, right?
Paying that much in electricity doesn't seem worth it.

It came with a light version of XP that was basically non-functional. Also XP is hard to install from flash drives and gets no more support.

Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6 GHz

maybe it's time to dump this machine since both my phone and my RaspberryPi have better specs in a fraction of the form factor.

Why run it 24/7. Remotely turn it on with Wake On LAN. Turn it off with RDP. Also I doubt your PC uses anywhere near that amount of power unless youre running some very old hardware. You also don't need a monitor so that can be left off. And the PC itself should be using fuck all power if you know how to set it correctly. For instance my old ass i7 has an integrated GPU so I use that unless gaming in which case the 1080ti is literally off. The processor has a slight under volt but also has bios power options like C states enabled so it's cruising at 800mhz at idle (4ghz under load). I use no spinning drives but do have an SSD attached to my router for network storage. Low power no noise, works when the desktop or laptop is off.

Oof that thing is weak. No integrated GPU so ill need to see the spec on that but God damn even for 2009 that was anemic

$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
Not affected
Not affected
Not affected
Not affected
Not affected
Not affected

Attached: Celine-Dion-Titanic-bb12-feature-2017-billboard-1500.jpg (1500x845, 1.03M)

I have an old Samsung laptop with a AMD 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM and 320GB HDD. It runs Windows 10 Home 64 bits on it, no joke.

Windows XP 32-bit could be a good shout

I've used Xubuntu on an Intel Atom @ 1.6Ghz with 2 GB of RAM before and it's decent

don't really expect much, it is pretty damn old tech at this point honestly

$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
Mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: conditional cache flushes, SMT vulnerable
Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable
Mitigation: PTI
Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP: conditional, RSB filling

kek

Nothing will be fast on that, except WinXP and 20+ year old software.

Win xp is slow and bloated as fuck compared to a minimal linux distro, my netbook couldn't even run a 480p video without skipping frames while on linux it has no problems with 720p

Puppy linux

Try disabling the spectre and meltdown patches on it. I'm pretty sure chromium based browsers have better video acceleration under linux so that may be worth a shot if you really want to. If all else fails there's always youtube-dl and mpv.

Install Q4OS with TDE. It's the only distro I've seen that's based on modern Debian that keeps a full desktop environment that runs in less than 256MB of RAM. It'll be great on that machine.

Attached: 1566387150127.jpg (325x472, 26K)

MX Linux

Attached: Logo-MX_big.png (1200x1200, 7K)

Reinstall Windows XP and play youtube through VLC to avoid browser overhead.

Feels good (no)

Attached: 2019-09-19-172342_1024x600_scrot.png (1024x600, 73K)

Debian base system + xfce, or maybe icewm to save as much RAM as possible

I had something almost identical, used debian netinstall and i3. Worked a treat and used it for youtube and learning to program. Actually also used it somehow to produce most of the figures for my masters thesis, so don't write it off just yet

Something with a lot of binary packages in it's repos. Go debian/ubuntu minimal with lightweight wm like icewm/fvwm or tyling shit if you can handle something that hardcore you bad son of a motherfucker.

I'm That's how I set up my eee900. It's totally usable for simple programming or taking notes or looking at photos etc. Penis - big penis. It's even possible to do some web browsing with netsurf, a lot of sites are just about usable with it (as long as you don't need javascript)
Proper webbrowsers like chromium etc aren't really usable though

Attached: 2019-09-19-153747_1024x600_scrot.png (1024x600, 89K)

There are two possible answers to your question:
1. none
2. every

Let me explain:
Do you expect to run a DE and modern software like html5 browsers and office? The simple answer is: Not a single OS and distro will allow you this on that piece of crap. Software has gotten to fat for your machine and there is no help in this case.

However, if you like your terminal, want to do basic text editing and coding and you are able to disable services that you do not need. In that case every OS and distro would probably work.

Don't believe or at least don't think that this would be the case today. Youtube is so fat and heavy that a blackhole will open once you start the browser

Gorgeous! Right up my alley!

Atom is one of the worst processors ever made. Especially the original ones. The N270 has a .5MB cache.

Gentoo and build your packages in a VM on your desktop, is what I'd do.
Now if they could just get Musl working reliably.

cheap, low power and x86
a winning formula, brah

Attached: kONxbp4.jpg (1000x1300, 635K)

Can always load mobile YouTube. Anyway the only way to know is to try... It's true though that even a couple of years ago when I was using my netbook, I generally needed low resolution on the videos. But the screen was so crap who cares?

I'm using lubuntu on a 13 years old (2006) machine.
>Intel Pentium (M) 1.6ghz
>2GB ram (DDR2)
>120GB HDD (IDE)

what do you use it for? why are you still using that?

void+mate

I use lubuntu for mine, it uses only 420 MB of ram for running

Debian net install using xmonad with dmenu & xmobar

I used to run puppy on my eee pc

Attached: 240px-Puppy_logo.svg.png (240x240, 36K)

>what do you use it for?
Pi hole
mpd
Torrent + Samba. I have another shit tier 1366x768 laptop so 720p is enough for me.
Syncthing. For documents, dotfiles etc.
>why are you still using that?
I don't have a raspberry pi.

AntiX is a better fit

No but AntiX with IceWM is a good choice. Acer D257 here. It's usable with 32 bit Lubuntu 18.04 LTS and a 120gb Crucial SSD.

Jfc calm your tits, you can still watch videos and use Libre Office with an Atom

Windows XP
Linux 2.26.something

>keyboard in german
>software in french
Sehr intéressant.

I have a Raspberry Pi and I recently installed a hardware accelerated version of MPV, and it plays 1080p video absolutely smoothly, at very low CPU consumption (like 5%). Granted I've only used this with 25fps video so far but it plays great. And most video is around that frame rate anyway. I reckon it would surely be fine with 60fps though because the CPU usage at 25fps is so low.

Of course that's accelerated for the Pi's ARM chip. So it wouldn't work on an Intel Atom chip. But there might be solutions to get an Intel Atom chip running video well. In fact I might be able to play video okay with standard MPV, I don't know. But if not then maybe someone out there has made a hardware accelerated version.

Seconded. Puppy will make it run like a new octacore xeon

a cli based one

Install Haiku

Puppy seems worth a try. How's the hardware support?

I can run Linux Mint 18.1 on my old laptop and a VM with XP on top of that

>32bit
>1.6 GHz Dual Core Pentium
>768MB of RAM
>120GB HDD

Install Gentoo

Attached: Screenshot_2017-04-17_03-43-04.png (446x233, 5K)

How long did that take? (If real)

Mx

Barebones desktop with openbox - not much (liek a few hours).
Firefox was compiling for two days and sucked ass performance-wise.
Libreoffice was compiling for a whole day.

dos?
nothing is going to run fast on that, since it wasn't even fast when it was current

But you can just use binaries, you know.

I have a Panasonic Toughbook with the same exact specs (Atom Z520) and it runs OpenBSD, it's great.

it runs on a Pentium 2

pains me to say it but slackware minimal might be the best choice for that. even though slackware is so fucking painfully out of touch with the modern world its still decently fast on the upmost shittiest laptops.

I know this may seem silly but have you tried android? it would be fine for general web use. hell you may even be able to run steam lnik or parsec

Proof it then. I bet my arse that it does not work. linux, which is the only viable choice, has no hardware acceleration with browser videos. And the modern youtube is fucked up javascriptvise.

With xp this was different. The browsers were accelerated.

And the modern (>=3.someting) LibreOffice is so fucking fat, don't even think about it.

So rip the video and watch it with mpv, that's what I do as a matter of course these days. Storage is cheap, and the truth machine deletes videos all the time. Best to have a copy just in case.

_,met$$$$$gg. martijn@akoocheemoya
,g$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P. OS: Debian testing bullseye
,g$$P"" """Y$$.". Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.2.0-2-amd64
,$$P' `$$$. Uptime: 7h 32m
',$$P ,ggs. `$$b: Packages: 2163
`d$$' ,$P"' . $$$ Shell: bash 5.0.3
$$P d$' , $$P Resolution: 1024x600
$$: $$. - ,d$$' DE: GNOME 3.30.3
$$\; Y$b._ _,d$P' WM: Mutter
Y$$. `.`"Y$$$$P"' WM Theme:
`$$b "-.__ GTK Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
`Y$$ Icon Theme: Adwaita
`Y$$. Font: Cantarell 11
`$$b. Disk: 104G / 237G (47%)
`Y$$b. CPU: Intel Atom N570 @ 4x 1.667GHz
`"Y$b._ GPU: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Pineview M
`"""" RAM: 1545MiB / 1983MiB

Attached: slisho2.jpg (2000x1868, 571K)

windows xp

So instead of using that thing for something that it can do, OP should try to use it for stuff that it is not all suited for anymore *because* you are a wasted, jobless tool that is not statisfied by wasting his own time, but rather by explaining other people how to waste their time more efficient.

Well done.

OP, don't use that computer for shit.

Peppermint OS, and get familiar with ICE SSB, it lets you create Site Specific Browsers, so you can eliminate a lot of things like email clients and the like. I use Chrome with one of almost identical spec, and the SSBs i set up work great - got my gf's old Acer netbok set up with things like Facebook, piracy streaming sites, as well as cloud productivity stuff. Along with this, it can do 720p content easily, with Popcorntime and VLC plus the MPlayer fork included with the distro. runs slicker than shit on a doorknob!

stuff like H264ify makes browser videos, especially Youtube, much less of a hassle and plays much better, using any built in hardware accelleration.

Windows xp is shit, it's bloated slow and probably the least secure os in existence.

I use smtube for or the Send to VLC firefox extension to stream videos. Streamlink for livestreams 720p @30 fps np on this toaster

Attached: 2019-09-19-165644_1024x600_scrot.png (1024x600, 698K)

so HTML5 isnt even the issue in that area, its sites like Youtube using cpu-heavy codecs and containers instead of tapping into native H264 hardware accelleration. look up H264ify. ive gotten GMA950 gpus playing 720p video with no issue, as well as 60fps 720p with stuff like the ATI 2400 Mobility gpu or a Geforce 7000 laptop gpu. bypassing most of the CPU load in this manner makes it a moot point.

True. I am glad we have talked about this. BTW
No browser on linux has hardware acceleration for videos.

Or are you one of those people that like to use XP with FF52 in 2019?

idk what distros are light enough anymore, its been a like 5 years since Ive tried to use a crappy computer

but I remember I was able to use i3wm when I couldnt get a proper DE running, plus i3 is kinda fun to use, with all the keyboard shortcuts, and I forget what its called but it uses some program where you press a keyboard shortcut and type what you want to use, I might look up what that program and use it on my mint box because I found it convenient

XFCE Linux Mint.

Also buy a cheap used SSD, it will make a huge difference.

any binary based distro with a light de

>H264ify
Chokes my shit up

Attached: 2019-09-19-221258_1024x600_scrot.png (1024x600, 357K)

Because it *does not* work with linux. There is no hardware acceleration in browsers on linux. Which is the reason why a shitty atom does not work with the modern web. It simply is too weak.

no, i have diferent computers for different purposes - an old laptop runnign WIn7 32 bit for legacy shit, Win10 on my gaming PC, and PeppermintOS running on this old Lenovo e1 apu laptop im running now. As well, as ive stated before, im more of a Chrome users.
what GPU are you using? im using that in Chrome and it runs fine.

No you can use it to watch videos with acceleration, even HD, you just have to either use mpv or another video player that can use acceleration, or you can always still compile Firefox to re-enable acceleration. It's still an option, they just don't enable it when they compile the source at Mozilla.

It's really not an issue.

Imagine using Chrome rather than a Firefox variant

i trim that right down with extensions that curb bloat as well as kill things like popups and shitty flash on some sites. runs like a top.

>There is no hardware acceleration in browsers on linux.
You can build Firefox or Icecat with it turned on, it works fine.

Integrated

Attached: 2019-09-19-223447_1024x600_scrot.png (1024x600, 610K)

MX Linux or Antix.

That's aesthetic af. Any recent Ubuntu will run on it but make sure you use the alt installer and set up i3.

do you have cpufreq-utils installed? i use that to peg up the power on my CPU, and i have a lot less issues as well in that manner. as well, im only using the stock drivers PeppermintOS installed on the netbook, whereas my Lenovo E1 laptop (not that much more powerful) has different bit of Mesa drivers as im using a shitty APU

Everything will run fast as long as you don't install bloat like gnome or kde. Void Linux boots in 15 seconds on my ancient netbook with worse specs. The biggest problem will be modern internet browsers.

Attached: __nagato_yuki_suzumiya_haruhi_no_yuuutsu__1a6fdfaa09664fc1db304d32a4ea06c4.jpg (1801x2665, 456K)

Is it possible to enable something like night light without using Gnome? That feature is the only thing I wouldn't give up

apt-get install redshift

Haiku 32 bit nightly build.