/hsg/ Home Server General

No homeserver thread? Homeserver thread!

Cluster boi edition

---
NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Re-purpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace Netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding OK here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisy enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want. You can check out the following sheets and sort by price.
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E

>Links & resources
Server tips: pastebin.com/SXuHp12J
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features

>Chat
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org
---

Let's discuss homelabs and setups!

Attached: 1568509768043.jpg (3285x2524, 781K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.linuxserver.io/2017/06/24/the-perfect-media-server-2017/
youtu.be/QKfk7YFILws
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Autistic lackracker reporting in

Attached: IMG_20190916_110014774.jpg (851x1134, 316K)

Currently slapping together two larger Lack tables (55x90cm) for my servers. They're £17 each and they each come with one shelf which I will use as sidepanels. The inside will lined with some sound dampening. The longest rack server I have is 65CM which will give me 25CM in the back for multiplugs and general cable management. I'm currently waiting on some castor wheels. I also want to fashion a backpanel as well at some point with some airflow solution. I'm also planning on some basic LEDs on the inside so I can see what the fugg I'm doing.

Attached: IMG_20190918_142451335.jpg (1292x969, 186K)

I bought a rack mount NAS and a crappy switch ( it was cheap, I am getting a better one ). I have no idea where to start. I need to research some more. Thanks for the links. I have lot of studying and tons more research to do. Re-wiring my house, figured I might as well put conduit in while I was replacing the drywall for Ethernet. * shrugs *

>I have no idea where to start.
Well first outline what you actually want to do with it. It can be as simple as plugging the NAS in and sharing a folder.
I started like that and over time I've offloaded more and more tasks to my server.

why are there only bad options for running pfsense on hardware
i don't want to pay 200€ for some shitty sbc and i don't want an shitty optiplex

Yeah most of the great options are hugely overpriced for what you're getting. I keep hoping someone will make some interesting shit with the ryzen low power embedded CPUs.

>tfw you want a server but have no idea what to run on it

What's the function of the tablet?

Mine runs various share folders, torrent client, pihole, plex. It's also a centralized backup for pretty much every electronic device we own.

It just displays my Graphana graphs. Temperatures, CPU load, memory etc. Its an old tablet and the digitizer is fucked but I still couldn't bring myself to just throw it away.

I'm very new to graphana still and I'm constantly changing things. It's only a 8" tablet so I struggle to make it informative yet usable from a distance.

Attached: Untitled.png (1839x726, 125K)

Where I'd like to start is to have the NAS as a media server. I'd like to have one centralized storage that I can access from my laptop, desktop, tablet, whatever to watch stored movies / tv stuff. The NAS I have now is capable of doing 16tb. I figured that would be a good starting point.

I'd like to have one centralized storage that I can access from my laptop, desktop, tablet, whatever to watch stored movies / tv stuff
Simply sharing folders is the easiest shit you can do and you won't have problems with that
>NAS as a media server
How exactly? This is where it can get a bit complex. I started by just sharing media folders but it was a ballache depending on the device, for example consoles often don't have file browsers and have shitty video playing capabilities.
I've moved on to Plex which works great with chromecasts and every other device we own.
It depends on which NAS you have and what/if any additional software you can install on it.

Forgot my meme arrows > on that first line.

Didn't I ask you what case this was in /guts/ the other day?

Possibly, I remember pointing someone to servercase.co.uk or xcase.oc.uk.

Plex was suggested to me by a few people. My NAS is a Buffalo Terastation 1400r.
I got it super cheap and I thought I could learn how to use it just to share media over my network. Most of the drives on my desktop and laptops are about full ( about 4tb ).

If you're happy consuming media by going through file explorers and just using whatever player is on the devices then a simple file share is sufficient. If I only used laptop/desktop to consume media I'd probably settle for that. Plex can be overkill if you don't care about a shitload of metadata (actors, ratings etc) and fancy user interface with thumbnails.etc.
I have no experience with Buffalo gear but looking at the specs I can already tell you that Plex won't be an option.

Shame the case is like 3cm too tall, since it's real nice. Doesn't fit under my table though because it's tallness.

That's why I need to learn. I got the thing for $100 with 16tb of drives. Figured it might as well be worth a whirl. I'll have to figure it out. Guess that will be my winter project.

That sucks. The only other option is going with a 1U rack which suck ass or going with a regular case that fits your dimensions. I just measured my second server that sits in a regular fractal design case and to my surprise its actually thicker by over 2CM than the rack case.
That's still a great deal even for just the drives. I'd say plug it in and start fucking around with it until you sort of know what it can/can't do. You can always take the drives out, sell the buffalo if you can and look at some other 4 bay solutions or build your own. Looking at some of the more modern prebuilt 4 bay NAS solutions nowadays it's often cheaper to build your own and they are often WAY more powerful.
Enjoy the rabbit hole.

You can always run the plexmediaserver on a laptop/desktop/whatever and just point it to your buffalo NAS as its media folder. Plex dgaf where the media is. Honestly if the buffalo is capable of running software, it can probably run Plex as long as you don't need it to do transcoding. Thats what a lot of synology owners do. If all your stuff is in h264 and your tv plays that natively, you're all good. I don't know much about buffalos tho, so YMMV.

I've got a Raspberry Pi running raspbian which I only use as a """web server""" which can only be accesed from my place.

Any ideas on what to do with it? I was planning on doing a local repo for projects but I'm uncertain of what to do.

searx

Anyone tried hosting a VPN in a docker image?
How does it compare to hosting in a VM?

I've used kylemanna/openvpn for about a year now and it works great.

>find old Asrock X99 Extreme6 board that stopped posting years ago.
>try for fun if it boots again
>actually posts

Now where to get a 2011-3 CPU and some RAM for it...

my baby

Attached: Sq9CSot.png (928x1238, 1.21M)

Contabo or Hetzner?

Clean your fan filter!

Looking for an OS to run Plex, torrents, file shares, and maybe a remote desktop session (like Teamviewer or some shit). Will probably have JBOD for disks, but would like some redundancy there.

Thoughts?

Debian netinst

I just installed xcp ng on an old machine to practice with. Is there any management software that i can use on android tablet? No vm installed yet, only have ssh console so can't do much

Hey I was curious on learning how networks work but I have no idea what to start reading up on first? Any of you folks have any reccomendations for books or guides? More for like hobby purposes

MergerFS + SnapRAID for the disks, or is there a better idea?

If you have the self discipline to buy the same sized disks, go for ZFS on linux with ubuntu or any other distro that supports it. I've been running it for 3 years and its amaaaaaazing

Attached: Based and NASpilled3.png (892x929, 216K)

See the sticky - load up a old computer or VM with pfsense and start experimenting with vlans. It helps to have multiple computers or VMs to subnet out and in and see how it all works. The best learning is learning by doing.

>apc UPS
>cyberpower plugs
Based retard

Explain to a brainlet why do I need zfs if I can install a supervisor on bare metal and do snapshots with it

Those are totally different things. Automatic checksumming of all the things (no data rot ever), instant and automated snapshotting, no need for raid hardware but you get the benefits of it (and improvements on it). Its the most based FS user

Attached: iu.jpg (638x359, 56K)

Considering wrapping that all up into several VMs on Proxmox, which supports ZFS on Linux natively as of recent versions. There's an included VNC client, so you can do graphical stuff in the webui, similar to esxi.

If you had 2 eyes, you son of a bitch, you'd notice the only thing plugged into those cyber power strips are shit like belkin wemo plugs. One of those power strips has battery backup, the other does not, servers and other gear plug directly into APC.

I reused a 10+ year old case with mouse poops or something in it, how do you clean this? I vacuumed it and stuff, I guess I could do wet cleaning.

Attached: IjflfdN.png (1603x1202, 2.89M)

Unfortunately, I already have a random assortment of disks from 1-8 TB. That flowchart is dope though.

That sounds like a lot of work, plus my "server" hardware is kind of shitty - it's just a low power dual core + like 8 GB RAM.

Any Linux distro?

> Will probably have JBOD for disks, but would like some redundancy there.
Snapraid is great, probably just use that.

If you ever want to virtually merge it into one big storage, use mergerfs.

It's not, it's like installing any other Linux distro to start. If you virtualize now, you'll save yourself a lot of trouble down the road when you want to do other things without buying new HW. Plus it's safer to isolate whatever you can.

Depends what you want to get out of your server. If you just want to run a media server, Ubuntu server is probably fine.

>still no easy way to configure rtorrent + rutorrent on freenas

what a fucking joke NAS

For evenly sized disks, mdadm RAID is even easier.

for uneven drive sizes or if you just want a large drive count to mostly remain spun down when only a little activity happens, I think snapraid [+ mergerfs] is the the best idea.

Ceph would be another option that theoretically could work great, but in my experience it was a pain to administrate and unstable. Most people who seem to use it in production use orchestration and literally discard / rebuild large parts of the data if anything goes wrong on one OSD or many OSD, not very comfy at home. Plus the CLI is extensive but somewhat opaque, also adds to the management pain.

SeaweedFS or Moose/LizardFS might work in some specific instances, and bcachefs might work eventually when it's ready for this and tested a bit.

I don't know freenas very well.

Does it not support docker[-compose] or podman or k8s or any other way to run OCI containers?

Anyone got a useful idiots guide for setting up snmp monitoring for various shite?
Mainly being an apc pdu, hp switch, and unifi router... I'm at a loss at where to start

Yeah, you were supposed to wet wipe it out before you put components in it. Looks like you have an hour or two's work ahead of you. That rusty little puddle will be stubborn, I'd use a gentle scouring pad, and for a cheap safe cleaning solution, just use a few drops of dawn dish detergent in a spraybottle of water, stuff's magic.

Do you really want to do that?

But eh, basically set up Nagios or Zabbix or whatever else you prefer.

I'm equally clueless about all of them, so I guess yeah anything goes.

Just those things in my post, so anything basic would probably be fine.

Thanks man - good to know there are options. Will probably start with the SnapRAID + MergerFS combo & see how it works out.

Was planning on just following this guide, in case there are any other noobs like me: blog.linuxserver.io/2017/06/24/the-perfect-media-server-2017/

Long story short, zfs uses cheksums to ensure data integrity. It also has the capability to do a zfs snapshots, which are sort of like a system restore point of all your data, so you can have a separate external drive or remote directory where weekpy/nightly/whatever snapshots are made and stored and can easily be restored without taking up as much time and bandwidth as rsync.

Some people will tell you that you need ECC RAM to fully utilize ZFS, other will say you don't. ZFS surprisingly generates a lot of controversy so you'll find quite a bit if information and debates online about it.

Bought this HP SFF box for $148 on Amazon, tempted to get more and make a Beowulf cluster out of them -- i5 3470, 8gb ddr3, 500gb hard disc

Attached: IMG_20190919_162827.jpg (3024x4032, 2.98M)

Aaaaayyyyy I had the same exact thing and holy fuck is it a work beast.i always recommend these or a Dell optiplex to people for general home servers

im going to pick up that case for 20€ from a dude this saturday. It's really smol, cheap and nice.
My current case for my """"server"" is a Define R4 that I got for 25€ with my old i7 4790, I don't need these case at all but they are cheap.

>Linux containers
>freebsd
You are better off using jails or a VM. Bog standard and a piece of pie unless you're a brainlet like

I was looking for something more basic than that, like what a subnet is, and DNS, NAT or DHCP.

Like... What is all that...

www.google.com

Attached: 1566870498883.jpg (1080x1092, 60K)

No I mean like, some sort of book or such that would act like a study guide to help me learn how to internet.

Say if I wanted to obtain like CISSP, CISM, GSEC, CCNA credentials

> Linux containers
Industry standard docker/OCI containers that everyone and their dog uses. The advantage is that you can easily deploy the things you mentioned with well-tested containers, it probably justwerks if your container environment works

If you prefer to use jails or whatever use that, but it seemed to me like this wouldn't solve user's issue as easily.

What else should/can i do with my server?

I currently run my Plex , Ventrilo , Factorio and a mine craft server for my autistic friends as well as book stack for recipes

For that, you primarily pay the respective money-making guilds and do what they demand with the lectures they sell.

It's not really anything else than that.

Definitely you could at least make backups and/or sync[thing] all your devices.

Probably could run a pleroma or mastodon or whatever instance for fun. Same for more data centric uses - IDK, feed archiveteam / archive.org website crawls to preserve internet history.

Open sauce Mumble is also generally better than proprietary Ventrilo.

I'd avoid vendor specific certs or learning material when you are starting off, they tend to focus on meeting test objectives. You're better off just going to YouTube and looking for basic networking videos. You will plenty that offers good advice. Then, after learning the basics, learn how to make use of these services if you want hands on experience by building a lab. Then, you can VALIDATE your skills or learn SPECIFIC skills by pursuing certs.

Exactly the information I was looking for, thanks. Any suggestions on which topic to start with? Given my limited knowledge I mean

>being retarded

Freenas/Raid Z 2 + ECC Ram + UPS & Backups.

My data is safe as can get barring a house fire.
No nasty bit rot or other shit biting me in the ass down the road.

I run plex and transmission. Life is for living, your supposed to be just enjoying your data collection not stressing about "the evil bit-rot" fucking with it over time.

You really got a problem then, namely the long tedious process of rebuilding it all if you do get hit by bit rot and there is no backup or your not using ZFS/ECC ram. For small media collections, hey not a big deal. But when your talking several TB worth then it turns into something else.

Put it like this. I've got a rip of Avengers Endgame. I want that same rip to be playable, perfectly every time, 30 years from now.

I'd recommend youtu.be/QKfk7YFILws

Will teach you basics of networking and goes at a good pace.

>Not even changing the edition
Thanks for making another tho

>turning up over 12 hours later
You tried

i want to setup a personal vpn, is there a way to do this with a router only or do i need an always on device like a cheap laptop or raspbery pi

Depends on the router, some like pfsense or openwrt offer support for that. What kind of router do you currently have?

Not everyone is a student or neet here.

some very basic shit the ISP gives you when you register with it

you likely won't be able to do a God damn thing with it then as they tend to be very locked down. You have a few options but I gotta get my kids to sleep so I'm going to be brief, please Google for further info

1: replace the router with a small form factor PC, add an extra NIC card, and install pfsense on it.

2:buy a router that serves this same purpose and allows more control

3: keep your current set up, and use a raspberry pi/spare device as a VPN server.

Keep in mind, option 1 and 2 will most require you to also purchase a modem since your current ISP device is most like a modem/router combo.

Good luck!

thanks

You're welcome. Also, your best bet is to use OpenVPN. This comes natively in pfsense and some routers. You can install "pi VPN" on raspberry pi or Linux machines for an easier VPN set up.

Any tips on what to look up if my websites start to shout out 403 errors on apache? I already checked the permissions of www-data. More curios to me though is that I didn't even touch the machines the last two weeks..

I've finally got an ansible playbook that configures a stock raspberry pi just the way I want it. The problem is running it. I know the RPi docs say that you can touch /boot/ssh to enable SSH out of the box, but when I flash the image to uSD, touch /boot/ssh and start the RPi, it removes this file when it expands the filesystem. I have to plug in the HDMI cable, log in, touch the file and reboot. I have 7 RPis, so that gets quite tedious.

Is there some way to make /boot/ssh actually work on a fresh image?

Beginner here, my RBPi servers are used for syncthing and my own VPN. I added an Android phone to the mix for a webcam. It feels like babies first server

Attached: IMG_20190830_085933.jpg (4000x3000, 3.24M)

I forgot to mention that the enclosure is made with a filament gun (3d printer without the convince) and it all runs off 5v including the network switch

Not using them yet. My winter project.

Attached: optiplex_farm.jpg (2285x1714, 1.07M)