Uses 1 based indexes for arrays and vectors

>uses 1 based indexes for arrays and vectors

Fucking DROPPED

Attached: R_logo.svg_.png (724x561, 47K)

t. mathlet

t. codelet

is this actually true? if so that is vile

why would they do that, what was even the justification

Out of everything wrong with this joke of a language you picked the arrays to bitch about? What are you, a fucking retard?

Stats nerds can't code

Because the whole language works like excel on drugs. You create vectors by using stuff like combine functions

Brainlet be brainlet. Go play some games

Attached: index_0.jpg (259x194, 10K)

Python and R are key for bioinformatics.
With some c++ you are fully equipped.

Based 1 based

R is my favorite language

Is it a functional language?

You're not going to make it kiddo.

Anyone who complains about 1-based indexing is an actual brainlet.

a sentence never uttered before

Attached: tz.gif (400x324, 147K)

If you work in data science, yes it is.

So what? R is not made for software developers.

because R is a scripting language for statisticians and made by statisticians not programmers.
Python-fags need to stop bullying us.

How come 0 based is more based than 1 based? That doesn't make mathematical sense.

It's easier to do math on 0-indexes arrays than 1-indexed.

>Moggs your pet IDE

Attached: RStudio-Logo-Flat.png (3534x1241, 75K)

I do. Muuuuuch better than maladapting a scripting language like python and wanting to do statistical work with it. It has an excellent DEFAULT editor, RStudio too. Python is putting the field in danger by immorally influencing data science tool and API development.

Because computers can't understand the concept of zero the way humans do. I think nowadays it's just something left over from the old days when programmers worked much closer to the metal than they do now.

there is a reason why stats is seperated from math at most universities

>Because computers can't understand the concept of zero the way humans do.
what

>uses 1 based indices for arrays and vectors

Fucking DROPPED

Attached: file.png (865x452, 455K)

You usually don't have to derive the formulas in stats, you just apply them to various scenarios.

they are math monkeys

good package manager too, RStudio is based IDE. Shame that shiny is such a shit for data visualisation

They don't understand to skip it when counting, so the first location in memory is "0x0000" and the first drive, CPU core, etc is always 0. Of course if you tell a computer to add 5 to 0, it'll return 5. But when counting, it doesn't understand to skip it.

>stats degree
>used to love R
>spent a year doing data engineering
>python at work and on the side
>now I can barely look at the language without wanting to die
Feels badman. The 1-indexing is a fun quirk useful for statisticians, but the real bitch is doing any kind of programming in the thing. I wanted to find the literal representation of a string (lots of quotes and problematic characters) and all the pretty-printing got in the way. Python is so much nicer, although I've yet to use it for stats.

Thanks, I’m picking it up.

>started programming by learning Python
>thought it was fun as shit
>learned other languages over the years
>come back to it
>hate the lack of static typing, and the optional type annotations look like utter shit
>have to remind myself about its hack-prone object model of metaclasses and borderline useless ABCs and pervasive-as-shit mutability
>don't even wanna touch it anymore
I know that feel bro.

It's more natural and logical. You just think otherwise because you've been brainwashed by C.
>b-but muh offset
Learn to separate the language from the implementation. Not to mention this makes sense only on structures where data is actually stored contigously, such as raw arrays. There is no reason however, for instance, why Python lists should be 0-indexed instead of 1-indexed.

This is a very naive discussion... We shouldn't meme the Wizard book and adopt the idea of " this is my favorite prog. lang. therefore I am doing every possible thing in that said lang".
R is beyond compare in scientific research, deal with it.

Learn multiple langs and learn how to use it when its is convenient to you. That's the best way of doing it.

R-lets BTFO by toy language Python lel

1 based indexing is the convention in math, so any language intended for math should use 1 based indexing.
There are some exceptions like 4-vectors in relativity that use 0 based indexing.

0 based convention comes from the fact that indexing into an array looks like *(addr_of_first_element + index), so it makes sense that the first element has index 0 in a language that has pointers.

*(addr_of_first_element + index - 1)

FINALLY someone else who went through the exact same shit.
Python could be so much more...