Is it worth it to learn LaTeX?

Is it worth it to learn LaTeX?
Will normies be impressed if I turn in office work in nice typesetting?

How do I get started?

Attached: 1zfte27tn3q21.jpg (1616x1181, 99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

asciidoctor.org/docs/asciidoc-article
asciidoctor.org/docs/asciidoc-syntax-quick-reference/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

yes
depends on the work

download a latex distrubution

>normies
fuck off stupid normalfag go fucking die in a hole

Latex is only worth in academia

Unironically, use WordTex.

nah use mandoc or troff
latex is pretty shitty when compared to mom or ms.

If you want nice looking documents.
It might actually one of the things which might impress them very easily, as the output is so much better.

Download a Distribution and start writing something you want to write.

just write on paper and scan it, why do you want to make your life harder for no reason?

Has none of the Reasons you would use LaTeX for.

Troff is horrible when comparing output quality, especially mathematics is abysmal.
But granted, the syntax is probably better.

I'm a TA at a uni and whenever I grade a paper and I can see that the student used latex to format the text I automatically give the paper one grade less than I would have given it otherwise.

I think latex is pretentious.

/thread

not worth it for single page high school essays
worth it for hundred-page dissertations with lots of sections, citations, maths and figures

Based

> 2019
> Latex
Change to docbook mate....

>2019
>docbook
Change to DITA mate...

no
no
don't

Attached: latex.jpg (728x635, 45K)

i do the opposite because word typeset gives me eyecancer.

>Is it worth it to learn LaTeX?
no

How is this based? If someone wants to take the time to work on a nice format for their documents why would you penalize them for it? That's literally non-sensical. If anything it makes you the pretentious one for thinking you have the right to determine "acceptable" software.

No, there was a study done on latex. People spent too much time messing around. People were slightly more productive using office.

>learn
>markup language
Whatever brainlet. Download tectonic and use templates.

At least the end result in LaTeX will actually look good.

being able to write what i mean for math equations is nice but full latex for the entire document is far too much work

use overleaf

Depends what you're doing. If it does it by default or there's a package for it, go wild. Otherwise it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Don't be stupid. It's one of the most retarded things you could do if you only need some fast word documents in a regular office for which nobody gives a shit to be perfect and they must happen soon.

It's only good for very high quality academic papers that must be perfect or you'll look like a fool.

I just write it in markdown and convert as needed with pandoc. LyX if doing academic work.

no you arent

lmfao

I beg your padron?

Attached: ogr-mode.png (710x733, 322K)

Bet you didn't even take notes in class using latex

depends, if you are graduate student who has to write a lot of scientific papers then yes. if you are gonna use it in the office then you're quite the idiot, no one cares about your impressive formatting.

>I'm a TA at a uni
and you will always remain a slave to your professor.

then don't muck about

If you write for math, comp sci or physics, there is no way around LaTeX.

Asciidoc motherfucker.
Latex is way too complex and Markdown + pandoc is too simple for some stuff.

Whoever says latex is ok I dare him to make a document from scratch, no templates or looking for stuff on internet

Attached: 3137042.png (400x400, 14K)

@72821547
Guess how I can tell you are making shit up in order to get (You)s?

Attached: IMG_1279.jpg (1123x750, 486K)

If you are in academics, there is really no way around LaTeX.
For many people it's the initial filter to check, if a paper is worth their time.
MSWord directly goes to the paper bin for most.
If you are not in academics, it could be still worth investing time to learn it, but it's really mostly geared towards papers and articles. I have written letters using it, but it takes some fiddling. Looks fucking professional, though.

Download a distribution and an IDE. I use Texmaker with texlive.
Back under Windows I was using TeXnicCenter with MiKTeX.

Was the paper written in latex or word?

Asciidoc allow you to do 90% of the stuff with 10% the effort. If you really want some exclusive latex feature you can always insert latex blocs

>study was published with latex

Things like overleaf have made latex normie friendly.

Yeah, nothing like writting my documentation in a foreign server to make the security and legal departments happy.

On the contrary, Latex is the opposite of professional because it's a worthless timesink.
It's almost exclusively there to make academics feel like they're doing anything of any worth.

Thanks user, this thing is fucking great.

asciidoctor.org/docs/asciidoc-article

The vscode plugin works out of box too.

You are cancer

wps office

Attached: 1566664263608.jpg (1242x1359, 1.15M)

so im working in networking and we have to do a lot of documenting for our customers is it worth to get into latex or asciidoc?

you can be proficient in asciidoc in barely 1 hour of playing with it. Take a look if the functionality and result fits your needs, but if it were me I would not hesitate to use it instead of latex for something like documentation.

so i installed the visual studio code plugin, is there a way to get a intellisense preview of the commands so i dont have to look up the commands every other sentece?

Based

You are the living proof that academia is a joke.

I use LaTeX for most of my papers and whatnot. Honestly the best part about it is just being able to use vim instead of some bloated word program. I'd say yeah it's worth it, especially when you've set up your vimrc nicely to handle compiling etc automatically.

Obviously you can go pretty extreme with that sort of stuff, like Luke Smith has with automatic document generation, bindings for different headings or whatever he needs. I haven't gone that far but it's doable if you're into that sorta thing.

die.

Attached: 1568768166301-g.gif (262x386, 115K)

user, he already told us he works at a uni. Your question as to why he's retarded is rethorical at this point.

what do you mean the commands? the syntax?

the commands, i just want to see some options if i type '.' '[' ':' or whatever other things there are. probably would make it easier for me to get started. im currently looking every command up in the guide.

are you using this?
asciidoctor.org/docs/asciidoc-syntax-quick-reference/

based

isn't org mode just like markdown? not really comparable

yeah thats whats im currently using but it would be cool if i could get suggestions while writing in visual studio code

These replies. The duality of man.

Get raped, nigger.

Only if you write formulas or certain figures that can be rendered with some graphics package, like chess notations.
Overall , but when in doubt >Will normies be impressed if I turn in office work in nice typesetting?
No, neither will professional typesetters.
>How do I get started?
Download one of those fuckhuge LuaTex bistros and hope the perl install script finishes successful. Then repeat the same thing for including images. Hope support for your specific part hasn't died already.
absolutely based

Even less useful.

Your opinion on ?

it looks really cool and is fun to use :)

Its easier than Word if you ask me.
For basic use you only need handfull of commands:
- chapter
- section
- tabular
- enumerate / itemize
- includegraphics
- textit
- textbf
Also \cite and \bibliography if you need to cite something

And the end result won't look like a complete eyesore.
If you need to do anything special the answer is just one google search away and it will always give consistent result since its compiled. With Word you google some shit and then wonder where that setting is hidden in your particular version of Word

I appreciate the irony here

Sure thing Bill..

Just host it yourself.

>How do I get started?
Overleaf tbhfam

It doesn't respect my newlines = shit tier.

the most bluepilled and cringy shit I've ever saw on Jow Forums and I saw a lot of cringe in this board.

Attached: 1504896278827s.jpg (250x202, 7K)

if you hate MS Word equation editor then LaTeX is the right call
if you don't use it then it doesn't offer much benefit
if you like editing equations in MS Word, who are you?

The hole point of latex is the templates u mong. And judgign by the other retarded comments in this thread no one seems to understand that.

Latex is simple because the template takes care of all the formatting and the user can focus on being productive.

cope

You don't need to "Learn" LaTeX. Just download a template.

Is it worth it to learn latex to write assignments and research papers for uni?

based

Use r-markdown, much easier and less verbose syntax, but it compiles through LaTex. Maybe try groff or troff, but I've never used them so can't speak for them.

No, normies aren't going to be impressed in the slightest. Why do autists believe they can impress them with computer skill?

Sure, it's not as hard as people make it out to be, until you try to go against the formatter. It's such a fucking ball ache when you need a certain picture next to a certain piece of text.

LARP, good way to get dismissed.

The "hole" point of my post is that is possible to do the same without the template retardation.
How do you take fast notes? You template them too?
Asciidoc offers most of the advantages of latex (formulas, advanced formating...) without the horrible latex format

If you're at a good school it's mandatory.

Rude.

>if you like editing equations in MS Word, who are you?
The millionth guy that thought he had proved that P=NP, while grossly misunderstanding what that problem is even about.

N=1 :^)

LaTeX beats MS Word in every technical aspect, but normies still won't use it.
It's a plain-text format, so you can easily version control it.
Making layouts consistent within an organization is extremely easy because you just distribute a layout file for people to import.
Getting formats exactly right is extremely easy.
Bibliographies, table of contents, etc. can all be generated at compile time so you just worry about the content and not how it looks.
The documents the compiler produces are generally very nice looking. I can immediately tell the difference between a Word document and a LaTeX document.

I'm a programmer. I was tasked with writing a "desk guide" for an application that I was the sole developer for; something for the user to keep at their desk and look at if they needed help with something.
It was going to be large, there was going to be precise formatting requirements, it was going to have a table of contents, an index and glossary, lots of figures and images...
By all accounts it was the perfect time to use the LaTeX skills I developed for my collegiate math homework assignments.
So I spent the next two weeks working on this thing. At the end, it was beautiful. Truly beautiful.
It looked clean and professional; the typography was perfect, the figures were perfectly placed, the index, glossary, and table of contents looked like they should without having to manually manage that shit like you would in Word.

I showed it to my boss in a meeting. She absolutely loved it and asked me to email it to her after the meeting so she could forward it to the customer.
I emailed her the PDF and my heart was racing a mile a minute. I was so proud of the work I had produced, and personally happy to finally make use of LaTeX...

Then my boss said it needed to be a .docx

learn groff, homeboy. heirloom troff if you're a hipster.

fuck you faggot, it's better than turning a fucking word doc you cocksucker

do you want to fucking suffer through optimality theory tableaux in Microsoft Word?

Attached: calo_nord.png (297x297, 126K)

Yes. It is worth!
Ignore this shitbrains You could always save templates and just use em.

This motherfucker provides a nice example of usage

At least I'm not academical slave labor.

It's a monumentally stupid idea in several settings. For example, I have to work with lawyers and other professions like that are on Word 24/7 and want their documents to be produced fast and they keep sending them for revisions back and forth every few minutes. They don't give a shit for perfect outline, just to be very averagely correct at that.

Latex is for perfection. Don't be a fucking sperg when that perfection wastes time in cases that nobody would give a shit you gave them something better when they don't want it better.

Do you write 5+ pages documents and hate PowerPoint? Sure, go for it. If you don't really write that much, is still decent to write a CV.

very based

Fuck LyX

Not that user, but the professor I TA'd for let me do whatever the fuck I wanted for tutorials, it was great.

Seething pajeet didn't get into the university he wanted?

No.
No.
You don't.
Nobody in the real world cares about LaTeX.

Ace of Based.

Absolutely based