Are you going to the climate strike tomorrow?

Are you going to the climate strike tomorrow?

Attached: developers-for-future-logo.902296d2.png (1500x1500, 443K)

Other urls found in this thread:

globalclimatestrike.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=dV67yJHoPvw
youtube.com/watch?v=pbrKLnh8wLA
youtube.com/watch?v=ZcDwtO4RWmo
anthropocenemagazine.org/2016/10/whos-winning-the-clean-tech-race/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Map of events at:
globalclimatestrike.net/

Attached: Keep it in the ground-by-MonaCaron_1.jpg (1024x1483, 989K)

No, it will just be a bunch of nancey boys and rich twits all having a monster raving loony left wing fest. In other words pretending to hate government while actually enforcing its policies

so what does climate change have to do with working in the tech industry

Depends on the government. Also if they make good policies those should obviously get public support. And how do you know if they're that left-wing? I don't buy into that left-right dichotomy but if you consider them to be too "left" on some or any issue you can change it by a bit by going there yourself.

will i get laid?

nothing

No, tell me what it is and why I should care in 2 sentences. Go.

You can build tools to reduce climate change and improve its adaptation to it?! Reducing power consumption of tech is one example.

I'll never understand this argument

>Those people are just a bunch of assholes who bitch online but never actually organize or do something. They can';t really be serious about it and just want to virtue signal. Fuck them for expressing their opinions or organizing online

>What the fuck these assholes are actually doing something in public? They're all just lazy kids who just want to party and can afford to miss work anyway, fuck them for trying to organize and make things better in person. Especially if they inconvenience anyone!

The problem is lack of political will to reduce climate change, not technological.

The fuck you even talking about

The sign of someone who never worked in the industry right here

I'd say even massive political will couldn't do much at this point. You'd have to tell India and China (and Africa) to stop industrializing and having a tolerable standard of living because it makes mother earth sad. Good luck with that.

It would involve stuff like martial law in all the world's rainforests to keep people from slashing and burning it.

Manmade climate change isn't real.

Political measures in some countries are just part of the first step. It doesn't end there. They are important because you can't tell/ask others what to do when you aren't doing it on your own, for being a role model to other countries, for testing ways of change, for buying some time for those who are actually up to meeting the Paris Agreement and the UN SDGs, for enforcing international agreements, for boosting innovation and alternative products and services and much more.

Attached: p.png (2645x4096, 1.03M)

nice strawman

sup boomer

>mfw when oceans are rising bc u return from void and cows fart too much

Attached: brad_kidd_5072.jpg (300x300, 33K)

No. Fuck the environment.

This desu. The chinkshit must flow.

Disagree. Politics can only do so much, real change is likely dependent on new and proper application of technology. There's many interesting innovations that can help stop deforestation and prevent reforestation for example. But the main thing that's needed is structural change via application of science and technology.

Attached: MacPhee_GlobalClimateStrike1a-thumb.jpg (600x926, 122K)

It's a global strike and protest that demands more action by society and politicians to act upon our extensive scientific knowledge of ecological problems with a focus on climate change.
You should care because we're likely living in a decade that will decide the fate of human civilization for centuries to come and we have to massively up our efforts to avert the worst by cutting CO2 emissions within roughly 10 years.

Attached: This-is-an-Emergency-thumb.jpg (600x667, 56K)

>Climate strike
>Related to software development
Fuck off greta

Attached: on-sale-on-amazon.de.jpg (320x235, 14K)

ah yes, just like "10 years" in 1980, '90, '00, '10 and now
whilst some of the problem has been caused by mankind, the earth is just heating up naturally and everyone who believes that aspie is a kike and should be gassed

>ah yes, just like "10 years" in 1980, '90, '00, '10 and now
Source for "10 years in 1980 and so on" for a limit at ~1.5 degrees?

Various types of Kafkatraps, (SJW weapon of choice) arguments based on every broad non-falsifiable, non-analysable panchreston logical fallacies:

Model A: “Your refusal to acknowledge that you are guilty of {sin,racism,sexism, homophobia,oppression…} confirms that you are guilty of {sin,racism,sexism, homophobia,oppression…}.”

Model C: “Even if you do not feel yourself to be guilty of {sin,racism,sexism, homophobia,oppression…}, you are guilty because you have benefited from the {sinful,racist,sexist,homophobic,oppressive,…} behavior of others in the system.”

Model D: “The act of demanding a definition of {sin,racism,sexism,homophobia,oppression} that can be consequentially checked and falsified proves you are {sinful,racist,sexist, homophobic, oppressive}.”

Model M: “The act of arguing against the theory of anti-{sin,racism,sexism,homophobia,oppression} demonstrates that you are either {sinful,racist,sexist, homophobic, oppressive} or do not understand the theory of anti-{sin,racism,sexism,homophobia,oppression}, and your argument can therefore be dismissed as either corrupt or incompetent.”

Model T: Designated victims of {sin,racism,sexism,homophobia,oppression} who question any part of the theory of {sin,racism,sexism,homophobia,oppression} demonstrate by doing so that they are not authentic members of the victim class, so their experience can be discounted and their thoughts dismissed as internalized {sin,racism,sexism,homophobia,oppression}.

Model S: “Skepticism about any particular anecdotal account of {sin,racism,sexism,homophobia,oppression,…}, or any attempt to deny that the particular anecdote implies a systemic problem in which you are one of the guilty parties, is itself sufficient to establish your guilt.”

Model P: “Even if you do not feel yourself to be guilty of {sin,racism,sexism, homophobia,oppression…}, you are guilty because you have a privileged position in the {sinful,racist,sexist,homophobic,oppressive,…} system.”

The arctic is already melting and it's a new geopolitical arena now. it's over.

youtube.com/watch?v=dV67yJHoPvw

youtube.com/watch?v=pbrKLnh8wLA

youtube.com/watch?v=ZcDwtO4RWmo

can someone tell me what this strike hopes to achieve?

The answer: give them the belt

Public awareness, societal changes and political measures.
Also Germany will announce a "climate package" of measures that day and on 23rd the UN is holding the Climate Summit.

Seems like they have an event in Helsinki. Pretty cool.

How about these faggots striking stop writing bloated software in languages like JavaScript or Python that take way more fucking resources to run than they should.

The worst can still be averted. Most serious issues will turn into geopolitical ones (have geopolitcal aspects) sooner or later. This (human impact on our ecological system) really is about civilization so it's unlikely people have been doing enough. A difference to e.g. Mayan collapse is that we have new technologies.

Has the IPCC got rid of that guy who went on record with a journalist saying that the IPCC was more focused on brokering trade deals than limiting CO2 emissions or stewardship of the environment in general?

I'm gonna hold a huge bonfire where we put as much CO2 into the atmosphere as possible.

Would, but my sleep schedule is fucked so I’ll probably wake up long after the local event’s over. Certainly not the first time I have missed important stuff because of sleep, mind you. Guess I’ll just keep lights off and turn down the heater or something.

I'll go if you make the idiot German government stop fearing the nuclear

Forgot your meds again?

Yes, because resource extraction is maximized with a stick, and industrial machinery is controlled by human operators.

Try to be me more out of touch, faggot.

The Earth would naturally be cooling down, as we exit the current inter-glacial period. Dum dum

No. I'm too intelligent to believe in climate change. Maybe once there's an accurate prediction on the future, or one of the people pushing climate change is actually doing something other than using private jets or living in mansions, or perhaps just a week where the weather is accurately predicted I'll see "climate change" as something other than a fairy tale for the unwashed masses.

No while I do care walking out of my job and punishing my employer and myself will fix nothing .

>actually doing something in public
are they doing anything other than making fools of themselves though?

It's too late. The "muh jobs" and "muh iphones" must flow. At this point it could only be helped to just outgrow climate change as a problem.

how come nobody fuckin answered me all day

Because the answer is obvious.

So low IQ they don't realize that we need to mine shit out of the ground in order to make those wind turbines.

i kinda hate nature and hope an asi-driven grey goo envelops us all desu.

No, I'm going to Area 51 instead.

Attached: EE0wd54W4AE2ADc.jpg (1080x1350, 282K)

Yeah, dude, fuck the climate. I'm driving 7 hours in my 13 MPG shitbox.

You pretend to care about the environment sitting in a way too cold office, while you rent time from some server room that just eats power and wastes resources because getting it done fast means more than getting it done right

You just came up with two separate arguments and mashed them together saying they're from the same person, who the fuck are you even quoting? Stop being an intellectually dishonest faggot.

Allow me to interject, since it seems some of you are too autistically focused on tech to have observed the last years of politics. The issue is that no matter what you do you'll only be called a racist incel etc. This means the only conversation you can have is going to be whether or not you're a racist incel.

Just like this board where people are going over and over whether Stallman is a pedo trying to defend him. Thats already losing. All the opponent who took the initiative to accuse you has to do is not back down and its just "I'm not a pedo" "yes you are" "no" "article: user denies being pedo" "article: user pedo controversy" etc. You see?

The whole alt right thing was largely those deciding to refuse to have that conversation. I don't agree with them but they were correct that by saying "yeah I'm a Nazi incel pedo, who cares, address my actual point now please" they were able to force the conversation forward, with the result being that they had to be banned from all platforms by force.

I wouldn't say what they did "worked" but this is the way you have to think about it rhetorically. There's no point in defending yourself, just strongly deny their allegation and continue attacking.

There's some issue here as well of the personality of timid nerds who want to placate and remain friends with their accusers. You need to.kill that part of you. It's up to them to come around, not you to convince them of what's already plainly true.

Why should I care about climate change?

Also can you show me some statistics that unquestionably _prove_ trends?

Attached: E100BD22-1C8F-4906-9101-ECED9F679489.jpg (996x1280, 152K)

>unquestionably _prove_ trends
It's as unquestionably proven as one can unquestionably prove something.

Attached: 96E65599-3888-45A8-9DBF-EA46370269F9.png (796x542, 50K)

Stop trying to desperately justify your off-topic Jow Forums thread. Jow Forumsedditors are human garbage.

what are they actually doing though other than wasting vacation hours to masturbate about themselves on social media in an event everyone will completely forget about next week

nobody's really pushing any attainable goals, specific legislation or anything else that actually solves the problem, and on Monday they're just going to go right back to working for, consuming from and otherwise enabling the handful of corporations that are destroying what they claim to hold dear to sustain their own decadent lifestyles

Attached: 1563046727780.png (300x292, 35K)

>wasting vacation hours to masturbate about themselves
and what's wrong with that? In the game of climate change, no rational individual will actually be honest instead of cheat like everyone else. Only the politicians can enforce policies, so that everyone stays honest

>what’s wrong with pretending to care about something while actively working against it by doing all you can to make it toxic and political?
just shut the fuck up and be quiet

What are you doing against climate change?

>But muh China isn't doing anything, so i'm gonna sit on my ass, because suicidal prisoner's dillema

anthropocenemagazine.org/2016/10/whos-winning-the-clean-tech-race/

Nah, fuck those faggots.
I'm going to work.

advocating for genocide

The per capita output of China is still quite low

Nature doesn't care about per capita bro.

Attached: 1549552361303.gif (250x190, 2.6M)

But looking at total emissions would mean that every single city doesn't have to do shit because they're so few. Grouping by country is quite arbitrary, don't you think?

>python 'koder'
>literally using ten times more servers/server time because too retarded to learn an efficient language
>"I iz fighting climate change!"

besides, it's all india and china etc that will contribute the most greenhouse gasses so no I'm not doing jack shit

>it's *your* fault that we bred a zillion people now fuck your economy lol! here we send some internet trolls to destroy your industry to our benefit lolololol!!

how about ... burn in the cleansing fire of climate change you fucking overpopulated savage shitholes!

I welcome and embrace climate change

wtf

Policies across the world are implemented on national level.

I don't deny climate change.
I deny anything can be done with it.
Learn to adapt, it's too late.

That would mean removing non compiled languages as they are less power efficient. Bye pythonmets, hello CChads

This, focusing on climate change more that on poor populations who can't afford to buy some power efficient, is truly a sign of liberalism, I think the "left" today is anti communist.

>I deny anything can be done with it.
Why do you deny that? Why not reduce CO2 emissions and mitigate the effects? Hitting the wall at full speed does more damage than hitting the wall at reduced speed.

Doesn't matter, car would be a wreck anyway. Braking would make it happen a little bit later.

The people and organizations taking part will sacrifice absolutely nothing on a personal level to "combat climate change."

What effects are going to be mitigated by 10% of the global population in developed post-industrial nations shaming each other for using straws and driving >5 year old cars?

If the alarmist apocalyptic predictions are even remotely true, these protests are just a bunch of group masturbation sessions and little more.

False. For example many use public transport or bikes instead of cars, eat less meat, buy organic, don't fly and spend their time raising awareness and going to events like this. Some took a day off for it. And even if that was true it still achieves something.

It was way larger than expected. It's on the Wikipedia frontpage now too: didn't know there were over 4500 events taking place. Was this (one of?) the largest global protests ever?