/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Welcome to /fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Windows and share their experiences.

This is NOT Windows vs any other OS thread.
*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Windows Thread ***

Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips and tricks that make your life with Windows (more) bearable (or even pleasant).

>Choosing, downloading, installing, activating windows / office
rentry.co/fwt

>LTSC 2019 ISO optimization & debloating
rentry.co/ltsc_optimized

>recommended windows software (infograph)
s1.desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/g/image/1562/46/1562467997749.png (embed) (embed)

>windows 7 updates to avoid
pastebin.com/a1htBUby (embed) (embed)

>windows 7 ricing guide (nanami-tan fork)
namazso.github.io/nanami-tan/

previous thread:

Attached: 1568922215171.jpg (1920x1080, 982K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ghacks.net/2019/09/03/what-is-the-best-free-archiver-to-extract-archives-and-compress-files
github.com/stax76/mpv.net
chocolatey.org/packages/mpvnet.install
github.com/lukesampson/scoop-extras/blob/master/bucket/mpv.net.json
mpvci.co.uk/
youtube.com/watch?v=JvzVaF4_EjE
github.com/alanfox2000/repack_NVIDIAGeforceGraphicsDriver
ghacks.net/2019/07/05/a-look-at-mpv-net-a-mpv-frontend-with-everything-integration/
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/optimize-offline-guide-windows-debloating-tool-for-windows-1803-1903-19h2-1909-and-ltsc-2019.80038/
askwoody.com/2019/microsoft-tries-to-fix-the-sfc-scannow-bug-introduced-by-a-patch-in-july-ends-up-clobbering-defender-malware/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

whst is wiuth thebnew updaye abd wgy ids everyone agasint int

apparently ms fucked up big time.
LTSC is not affected as usual.

Guess I'll do that then, this time actually on a win 10 machine.

i want to nakadashi ai-chan

imagine fucking them on top of each other

Reminder to upgrade to win8.1 if you use 7

Friendly reminder that neither Bandizip nor mpv.net are a recommended archiving program or media player - it's just a pair of shills shitting in the thread for shekels.
See the recommended Windows software infograph in the OP.

Attached: 17202830_390018554707189_368629844940304596_n.jpg (652x652, 41K)

Lmai piek they ever get something good of their updates
What didt hey fucj up this tine

Best unarchiver is winrar with a rarreg.key file
Best media player are SMPlayer (includes mpv) or MPC-HC

I've literally never used anything else but 7zip and VLC for over 10 years now and I'm probably still gonna use them 10 years into the future.

friendly reminder: this is the recommended archive program now.

ghacks.net/2019/09/03/what-is-the-best-free-archiver-to-extract-archives-and-compress-files

Attached: serveimage.png (280x140, 6K)

mpv.net is legit, bandiwhatever though is a piece of trash. 7-zip all the way.

Don't forget that mpv.net is the new kin/g/ of windows media players. It is an mpv front-end made for newcomers.

Source: github.com/stax76/mpv.net

Chocolatey: chocolatey.org/packages/mpvnet.install

Scoop: github.com/lukesampson/scoop-extras/blob/master/bucket/mpv.net.json

Attached: sketch-1567727375479.png (1280x720, 674K)

mpv.net is in the infograph user

>missing out on quality software

Attached: _20190919_164044.jpg (1742x421, 86K)

Remember to download MPVCI – A simple packaged installer for all the latest VC++ redists, after that clean Windows 10 install.

mpvci.co.uk/

Fuck me, I wasted way too much time for such a simple thing. It's basically impossible to read the error without logging to a file because the console gets cleared when the remove system applications window is supposed to pop up.

Attached: 1540221990248.png (851x40, 5K)

just install the basic LTSC image now and worry about chopping it later. desu, ltsc is already chopped straight from MS, just a few minor post-install tweaks and it'll be running well (like mine).

Well it's working now. The problem was the error in the image. I had everything on an usb stick and not a fixed drive.

i have a 1060 geforce
thanks, can someone let me know if the op debloat guide works on this though? I dont want to install raw

in return youtube.com/watch?v=JvzVaF4_EjE

Alanfox2000 has a mod for the latest nvidia drivers that works even with Windows 7.

github.com/alanfox2000/repack_NVIDIAGeforceGraphicsDriver

>mpv.net is the new kin/g/ of windows media players.
lol
NO

This general is for us Windows sisters only! No filthy men or demented trannies allowed!

Kys mentally ill shill

Um yes... It is now.

ghacks.net/2019/07/05/a-look-at-mpv-net-a-mpv-frontend-with-everything-integration/

Attached: sketch-1567706914118.png (980x720, 545K)

Please go be a thot somewhere else. fw10homet seems more like your kind of thread, that's the only windows operating system I know of that doesn't want us sisters to grow up to be functional and productive. You'll find tons of social media and telemetry based features to your liking there. It's basically built from the ground up for sisters who don't listen to their misters.

Attached: 8ef83d4177c3720f62ee00faf6634c1aa4bddc329ca6b41d6d6520dde460c419.jpg (719x818, 259K)

this doesnt help me know if I can debloat ltsb

Holy shit! A talking hole!

what recourse do win7 fags have come jan 2020

install it into a VM, LTSB is much lighter than LTSC.

If you put a window over it it becomes a comfey operating system. Once you debloat all the feminism at least.

Attached: 1466840802821.gif (390x219, 1009K)

So you can't?

what bloat does LTSB have?

I assume all the normal windows ltsc bloat that must be removed. Both are supposed to be the lightest windows possible for corporations yet if windows ltsc has bloat to remove, that makes it sound very much like I should expect it wherever I go. It's a modern windows after all. to be fair I'm a brainlet, but I figure why would people go through the trouble of defucking windows C if theres a perfectly usable B.

Attached: 001.jpg (844x1200, 246K)

>I assume all the normal windows ltsc bloat that must be removed.
compare 1607 (LTSB) to 1809 (LTSC)

Attached: SAC.jpg (2424x1356, 457K)

this doesnt even list half the things win10ltsc bloat remover suggest you remove.

is there a way to do all that debloating stuff in the ltsc optimization guide but with normal windows that updates at normal times?

for that theres optimize-offline

But aren't you a demented tranny?

Attached: 1563784057209.jpg (594x595, 53K)

is there some guide for that as well? I honestly wouldnt have been able to complete the ltsc guide if it didnt hold my hand the whole way through

only whatever is on github / docs. so basically no.

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/optimize-offline-guide-windows-debloating-tool-for-windows-1803-1903-19h2-1909-and-ltsc-2019.80038/

where's the penis?

look who's talking

anime is not the domain of trannies, they are unwelcome, and only watch ironic weeb anime anyway.

Attached: ie_ie.jpg (450x520, 40K)

Why would you need that? Everything that depends on a redistributable should pull the correct one in.

So if you don't use unattend.xml to skip the privacy settings page on the first start up the registry configuration of the debloat script will just get overwritten?

Attached: 1565660701671.png (1362x914, 220K)

this a lazier option. you will have them already installed.

If you're still around, see askwoody.com/2019/microsoft-tries-to-fix-the-sfc-scannow-bug-introduced-by-a-patch-in-july-ends-up-clobbering-defender-malware/
So yes, you're right that defender shouldn't finish so fast. It's a known bug.

Why are those 2 lolis on their knees, user?

Any recommended download managers?
I'm mostly looking to download a bunch of folders from Mega

Just got LTSC installed, and wow the difference is incredible. Thank you based Jow Forums

I want to rape them so hard

Megadownloader

I want to nakadashi whoever these girl are

That's illegal

Attached: 5435941ed90b21a69d0c69cad29981fc.jpg (1920x1080, 1.87M)

if they get a virus they will grow a dick though

only in third world sjw shitholes

>tfw no Nanami to gift me a Surface on my birthday

2*8=16

are they lesbian moms
gross

Windows is already an old hag full of legacy cruft.

What do all the feature repacks give you for POSReady 7? Anything a regular user would care about?

wireless for example is pretty important on a laptop

b-baka

I followed the optimization guide of the ltsc ISO but I apparently fucked up my search service since it doesn't work (can't even click on the magnifier, the search pop-up windows doesn't show up). How do I fix this? Do another iso without removing these services from microsoft? Any way to re-enable the search function?

i think you need to make a new one. atleast that surely works

I doubt that's related to the optimization. I've had the search fail to appear in a new account in an unoptimized Win 10 install. It'll probably start showing up eventually, or after you log out and log back in. You could also check event viewer for messages to see if you find anything.

what the fuck, always LTSC?
I restarted it but still doesn't work

I've never tried LTSC. Restarted what? The Windows Search service isn't needed for the start menu search to work. Does your start menu itself work?

Can we get rid of the red text, or are we stuck with it due to being pirates?

Attached: iamthefuckingadmin.jpg (551x378, 41K)

start menu works, search function doesn't

that's what it displays when it's disabled by group policy. start up group policy editor and change whatever you want

It's normal. This red text appears when you disable bloat in registry or group policy editor, Optimize-LTSC and Optimize-Offline both do that.

>
Ah I see. Thanks anons

Well, you ought to look in the event viewer for error messages. There's probably something happening around the times you try to open it. Try the search troubleshooter.

be a man and use WES7

I fairly recently installed windows 7 on a z390 mobo with working USB 3.0/3.1 drivers. :)

Psh, try installing Windows 7 on a PC where the USB 3.0 drivers aren't even distributed anywhere, via searching at least. I had ended up downloading a completely unrelated AMD driver set, which contained an older, but working driver for 3.0 for my mobo, out of sheer luck. Shit fucking sucked.

That does sound awful. I nearly threw in the towel and resigned to 10, but I lucked into chinese hackers releasing signed drivers for the stupid things.

9700k on 7 is naisu.

Yikes, I can't believe people still have to go hunting for drivers in 2019.

The NEW new intel motherboards (z390) do not support windows 7 out of the box, because the drivers for the USB ports simply don't officially exist. Intel caught a lot of shit for it I think. There's no reason it shouldn't have just been packaged in but they're trying to force people into 10.

I don't think has an intel motherboard, since he mentions and AMD driver set.

Probs not, but I can only really speak for how much a hassle it was with the z390 chipset. I've never touched AMD.

Tfw finally caved and upgraded to 10 from 8.1
How fucked am I in terms of spyware, bloat, etc? It feels like 10 stutters when I try to search for stuff in the search bar
Is there anything 10 does better than 8.1?

>ATX board and micro-ATX case
>no anti-static protection
>motherboard just sitting on the fucking floor
No wonder 8 was a fucking mess.

you will probably age slightly quicker

>no anti-static protection
>motherboard just sitting on the fucking floor
literally nothing wrong with these you fucking pussy

I look forward to seeing your future "why the FUCK wont my new pc turn on???" post

>(embed) (embed) (embed)
so i thought it's time to refresh a few things, help me out here:
-is irfanview still good compared to the two programs listed under recommendations?
-i use mpv, should i use mpv.net?
-i still have ccleaner but haven't used it in a while. are there good alternatives or should i just keep using it?

and most importantly: are there any resources for ricing win8.1? are there any actually good solutions for tiling windows?

Attached: 1563002004443.jpg (400x400, 30K)

Not him put I've literally worked on my laptop mobo with a shitty soldering iron and combination pliers while it was rested on a kitchen chair with a fabric cover. I seriously doubt they go kill that easily.

Is there any safe way to disable updates for 10 home edition?

novirusthanks win update stop.. look for it on google

it's the less intrussive way in my opinion.. it pretty much disables the windows update service and then on monitors it so it disables it again the moment windows tries to reenable it... plus you just open the interface and reenable updates if you need a driver or something.

>>(embed) (embed) (embed)
>so i thought it's time to refresh a few things, help me out here:
>-is irfanview still good compared to the two programs listed under recommendations?
yea, it has some extra features too, just closed source and paid for commercial use
>-i use mpv, should i use mpv.net?
no, mpv.net is literally mpv with a context menu and some dialogs
>-i still have ccleaner but haven't used it in a while. are there good alternatives or should i just keep using it?
it's still good, just more agressive with pushing the botnet.
>and most importantly: are there any resources for ricing win8.1? are there any actually good solutions for tiling windows?
themes and SecureUxTheme are a starting point.
for other stuff, try using win10 ricing programs, they are often compatible (much more so than win7 ones for example)

No-anti static and mobo on the floor is fine if you don't have carpet. Just be naked or at least don't wear sweatpants and be sure to dissipate any static charge before you work. This is consumer equipment, it isn't that ESD sensitive.

>people think this is ok to have to do

Try Bandizip. It is a really good file compression and extraction software.

Attached: bandizip-archive.png (1084x682, 94K)

kys shill
ignore the previous guy, its a shill.
remember to filter the following md5s:

#bandizip shill
/2noxmKDugYpgMXBFw6wEyQ==/
/0vdch1oBcx+FkjZ/Wue0+w==/
/LibbgkP8ZPjnX92I5//Luw==/
/AaqKwT6PfEqaD0PLIVSWIw==/
/Ef6G/+PkuC5TRpxQvRdnGA==/
/F4zSWHdSFfWOplSiQfh3CA==/
/AaqKwT6PfEqaD0PLIVSWIw==/
/LibbgkP8ZPjnX92I5//Luw==/

What should I install?
Windows 8 or 10? I need instagram for work.