Other urls found in this thread:

vimuser.org/
blog.vimuser.org/littleleah.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

this is the ONLY problem you will find with vim

>not knowing how to use clipboards

there is more than one clipboard on loonix
also, when editing configs this is fucking nice
you're just salty no one buys your emacs foot pedals.

>uganda.txt

Learn how to use registers, you have like 20 of them
It's not vim fault that you don't read documentation

Attached: 57576.jpg (955x1024, 116K)

>not using superior cuckoune

bro,
i just want to fucking delete a line. why does it have to fuck with the register stack?
>THATS JUST HOW IT WORKS BRO.

Attached: XTqpwK8[1].png (325x300, 87K)

Just 20? There's like one for each letter and number key.

I get why this sounds like a problem but the reality is it's just not. This quirk has never been an issue for me because when I put something on the clipboard I do it to immediately put it somewhere else, so when I delete a line whenever later on I couldn't care less what gets overwritten. On top of that, vim's, clipboard is local to that particular process, so it has never bothered me.

ayo hol up
what if you copying something from stack overflow
switch over to vim
SORRY YOUR DE CLIPBOARD IS NOT REGISTERED IN VIM, JUST USE GVIM

current state of nostalgia obsolete text editors

you need a Vim GOLD serial-key to access that feature, OP

if you press the wrong key in Vim, it will often start some insane chain of modal bullshit with no indication of where you first went wrong

Ctrl shift v

I only have 16 registers, and a couple of them are reserved :(

>his editor doesn't automatically save a history of previous cuts
laughing-emacs-hacker.gif

Everyone just uses VS code if they're actually productive.

>buying Vim GOLD
>not Vim Platinum Edition

Where is the documentation for this? How would I for example have a script execute when I save a file?

This is a problem with all editors used in the terminal. You have to use your terminal's paste button. A lot of the time its a mouse button, like left mouse button or middle mouse button. You can probably find it in your terminal's menu bar. If you want integration with the rest of the OS's clipboard, you have to use a version like GVim.

Bait

use emacs please

Why? It was written by a child rapist

but that was made by a filthy communist pedo.

what else can i use besides vim?

vimuser.org/

no u

Attached: 1568201151240.jpg (420x331, 42K)

Not a problem in neovim, registers + and * just werk.

>Why?

Because the communist pedophile child rapist's program is better.

Or use tmux and configure it to hook the X clipboard

based emacsfag btfo'ing vim libtards

Attached: 1497711411404.jpg (912x719, 74K)

map "+y
map "+p

shift y to copy, shift p to paste with system clipboard, this way vim won't interfere.

My prof will take off points my programming assignment if I don't have consistent use of tab and space.
The thing is, I don't manually use tabs and spaces for indentation, Emacs decides for me, now I will get 30% off the assignment because of it, is there anyway to tell Emacs to only use spaces for indentation or something?

The problem is your desktop environment.

Attached: leah.jpg (179x278, 14K)

Itt: sad state of Linux and other obsolete technogies

(setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)

For the most part I use vim through wsl so in that case id just right click

"*p to copy from clipboard
This only works on version of vim that include clipboard support aka newer

Use nano.

The GNU Emacs text editor

>pedoware

Modal editing is literally and figuratively useless, and there is no practical modern application for it. It only existed due to technological limitations in the 1970s.

Attached: computer-image.gif (195x195, 30K)

What

Attached: 1547067629682.jpg (1129x1200, 118K)

Thanks for posting a portrait of a typical vim user for me.

>deleted line goes to "1
>yanked line goes to "0
?

based leah shilling his dilation

My favorite way to copy and paste:
dd, u, p

use the black hole register

"_dd

Why not use Y

Save what you want to paste on another register, friend.

you need a hook triggered when you typed w

GVim + Pale Moon with Pentadactyl is a good combination.

Do just don't be retarded and learn to use vim

recompile vim with +clipboard feature

lol

Ironically, you have like 29 other registers you could have used.

Even without +clipboard support, you can still paste from the system clipboard. The problem is vim's builtin autoindent will double up any code indentation. :help pastetoggle has a workaround for this problem. Or just see if you're distro has a vim version that DOES have +clipboard support.

^[u wow! problem solved

>vimuser.org/
from "her" charity page.
>There is a private clinic in the UK which prescribes
>HRT quickly, including to children. You can request
>blockers or full HRT, even at age 12. They have
>prescribed full HRT to children in the past!
truly we have strayed from god's favor. I feel sick just thinking about it.

what about pasting before cutting, retard

>what are registers?

dd uses the vim default line-wise register (".), not the system clipboard ("+). x uses the character-wise register ("-)

genitals should be "free," "free" as in "freedom," not "gratis." This includes the freedom to modify and distribute your genitals as you see fit.

How much longer until the "progressive" crowd decides kids can consent to having sex with adults?

>and distribute
kek

You can disable that behavior, read the docs

i bet this cuck uses his mouse when writing code

Use yy, p

A tool should fit my hand not the other way around retard.

>delete line undo paste

yyp

:10,15y +
>yank lines 10 thru 15 to system clipboard.
:5pu +
>put them under line 5

This post made me chuckle.

new vim user here, how do I set auto bracket completion on vim? I've only ever used point & click text editors before so I'm kinda lost

is there a striped programming socks in vim colors?

Unlikely because the republicans already embraced child fucking when they continued to support Roy Moore and Trump. The dems simply won't ever support kid rape while the republicans are doing it.

But see, the Republicans don't care whether the kid consents, but only support it when the guy is super rich.

imagine using a text editor that wasnt written in C

Not really, clipboard buffer management in vim is absolutely retarded. It goes like in OP, but also the other way: copy some text from somewhere and to paste it, you might +"p, ++p, middle click or shift+ctrl+v but not all of them are valid options (it's also possible none of the above work).
When a file is heavy with parenthesis, vim starts becoming super slow. If your computer goes out of ram and starts swapping, vim never recovers, instead telling you that there are swap write errors everytime you load or save something, and being very slow for every operation.
There are also bugs related to undo history, where undo will magically conserve a line that shouldn't be there and continue its stuff, resulting in a completely borked file that cannot be saved by redo (which will cause the buggy line to be duplicated, and exacerbate the problem should you have the same issue in the next round of undos).

However, despite all of that, it's still the best available editor out there by a wide margin and emacs doesn't hold a candle to it even with evil-mode, popwin, and proper customization. It's a very sad situation and we badly need something better.

Just press 'dd' while in normal mode, you fucking mouth breather.

>literally so moronic he didn't even understand the trivially simple words in OP's post

Just because you are too lazy to learn a tool doesn't mean the tool is broken

I don't know how you are getting lines from the buffer into the clipboard register when deleting them, they are two separate registers all together.

For instance,
'dd' on line, it's now in my register, so I can still 'p', or whatever. If I had something in my clipboard, I '"+gp', oh wow, there's my clipboard. I understood what the mouth breather was trying to say.

Whoops, that was meant for this

Congrats, you're a schizo retard.

Thanks, but at least I have a job and can use Vim?

Shift + Insert baka

>vimuser.org/
blog.vimuser.org/littleleah.html

Attached: stallmon.jpg (1466x1080, 932K)

Problem? Registers are a thing. And I fucking love the fact that registers are a thing in vim.

Unironically this. Modal editing is a compromise for not having enough modifier keys.
Pic related is the keyboard originally used with Vi. Notice how there is a single, badly placed Ctrl (because that IS badly placed, you should be able to press it with your thumb). and no Alt/Meta key. Emacs, on the other hand, took advantage of good modifier placement of the Space Cadet and Lisp machine keyboards, which even had a Hyper modifier.
Think about it: all things being equal, non-modal editing is objectively more efficient: you press less keys overall.
And before your autism shows, read this post again: this isn't a comparison between Vi keybindings and Emacs keybindings: it's a comparison between modal and non-modal editing in general. And yes, I used Vim for years.

Attached: 1568116742151.png (800x259, 23K)

Explain your reasoning.

Modal is still better. Notice how all the emacsfags got carpel tunnel from using it. Vi may have started existence due to a limitation, but it survived due to its sheer excellence, speed, and ergonomics compared to the alternative.

nano

>Notice how all the emacsfags got carpel tunnel from using it
look i can pull things out of my ass too

Attached: img.jpg (1529x2048, 596K)

It's a waste to have all these keys on the keyboard, and still have to stretch a pinky to do shortcuts. The way vim does modal editing isn't just an alternative to the Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Cmd+Fn+Super+U mess that modern editors have embraced, it's superior because a lot of these commands are shaped like english sentences with subjects verbs and direct objects. When doing more complex commands like
>"ay2w
I can read it aloud like "to register a, yank 2 words". There's nothing old about it. When typing on a laptop with a fucked up keyboard that looked like a tornado tore through it, I don't have to change my habits or go key hunting hardly at all.

I gotta chime in here, too. VIM is really overrated. I learned a lot of shortcuts throughout the years and I always customize my IDEs. When I really gave VIM a shot, I realized that it's just a mixed bag.
Some features are killer, like jumping to a specific char. But the modal nature of it, overall, is kind of dumb.

This
I took the time to learn most of vims keybindings and saw that it was really pretty much Emacs but with registers and more movement commands. I just added the missing cursor movement functions to my Emacs. Using modifiers less is nice, but even in vim you have to press shift to access half the functions, and lots of emacs stuff requires pressing alt which is easy to press with your thumb (my new vimlike functions are also bound to alt key combinations so I get to use the nice alt key more often now). Also in reading modes emacs binds n or p or space or del to move around or and page up and down without touching ctrl or alt. Its not like vim is free from pressing control. You have to press control if you want to page up or down.

Idk, I'm not a huge fan of emacs, either, other than orgmode. I really dig orgmode. Nothing quite like making lists, assigning priorities, collapsing sections.

I wish I could have an editor that combined ISPF's editing capability from z/OS with vim's keybinds and typing system and emacs extensions.