Delphi Programming Language

Why does noone use Delphi for anything relevant?
What went wrong?
I think embarcadero redeemed themselves by offering the community edition.

No longer does developing in the language have a minimum cost of 300$/€. The standard library is excelent. Tons of documentation with examples by just pressing one key. Compiles natively to Android, iOS, MacOS, Windows (32 and 64 bits), UWP, Linux (yes, it compiles to linux and its way better than Lazarus). I've been developing in Delphi for the past 10 years but everyone has just forgotten about it lately. I don't feel limited by the language and I can pretty much do anything I want with it.

Attached: Delphi.png (2560x1440, 2.4M)

i miss pascal bro

I miss turbo pascal and borland bro

broo

In my country Delphi is quite popular in legacy systems. Also gamemaker I made in Delphi, you can make hit indie games in it, like undertale

close your eyes bro, what do you see?

Delphi is not a programming language, and object pascal sucks.

But that's not what happened, what happened was Borland tried to make a .NET IDE, but it a) was more expensive than msvs, and b) was obviously worse than msvs in many aspects

It was a no brainer to migrate at the time.

I can smell the 800 page turbo pascal manual still in my closet bro.
I think it still has the floppy disk

Agreed, I've made several game-related projects (closed source) in Delphi. And its so easy to work with.

When I was a stupid teen we used Delphi based tools to program our Pokemon hackroms.
It was fun

because it's a turd

You're a a turd

where to learn delphi or freepascal? does it even still have much of a userbase?

Are you making a game friend?

hows the compilation speed? is it fast like go or D?
i would really like a language that compiles to native without any VM or GC, multiplatform, with a rich standard library, that would be fast to compile for fast prototyping.

is it delphi the answer? or even free pascal?

I use it for legacy applications, it fucking sucks.

Yes

It compiles very fast indeed. Download it yourself and compile any demo project. It takes 2-3 seconds on my machine. The largest codebase i ever had to compile wasn't more than 20 seconds and it included 30+ libraries.

Lemme guess... It's a post-soviet country, right?

Not him, but here in Brazil Delphi was pretty popular for games. C# won in the end, of course, but once upon a time it was Delphi all the way.

cobol is still used in a lot of places, delphi is the same, you'll be surprised, of course now is a dead language

Cheat Engine is written in it

A acquittance of mine got a job to program in cobol a while back. That was pretty surprising

whats it about

cobol maintainers are paid crazy amounts of money.

Blessed thread

Attached: 1320813769830.gif (300x242, 1.78M)

Its an online RPG it plays in the browser. Everything is made in delphi. From the static web generator to the game logic.

Oh man, I honestly thought I was the only Delphi dev here.
Delphi compiles native code user. It's basically C++ but easy to read.
You have direct memory access, pointers, whatever.

It never took off because of poor marketing. Killed Borland as a result.

How are you making the graphics in delphi?

because id just use pascal compiler and text editor in that case

why would someone use this instead of c

Output raw bytes to a stream

>Pic related is my cope.
I still use it too. Version 7 still works on Windows 7 and I've used it for programming many tools.
Also Embarcadero basically turned delphi to shit.

Im not making the graphics directly since the game is played in a web browser. The game server is written in Delphi.

Go is very similar to Object Pascal, both in syntax and in memory management. In fact it is much closer to Pascal than C. Go should be referred to as a modern Pascal rather than a modern C. Delphi lost out to VB and Java in the 90s and so never reached its potential. Both Go and Delphi are compiled rather than run on a VM, they use GC, they use pointers for pass by reference, they both use array size as part of the array type. Overall Go is better because it doesnt use conventional class based OO and has better array slicing syntax.

Hey user how did you get tiling windows on windows? Also any windows ricing tips idk if i should go back to it and just use my server for linux stuff

AutoHotKey + Custom made programs I made.
The AutoHotKey is set to shellexecute an specific program that rearranges all open windows depended on how many of them are opened. The program is a simple 100 line code with many cases which detects the title of the window and rearanges its position relative to the other windows.

Oh sick whats it written in?

Delphi, I'm OP

Free Pascal compiles very fast, is more expressive than Go and doesn't depend in large part on GC like D. It's a pretty good language. The downside is that it's more verbose, but you get used to it.

Go is more concise, but it is a less modern language than recent versions of Object Pascal.

>XRumer written in Delphi
>GSA SER written in Delphi
>Scrapebox written in Delphi
all famous software with lot of paying customers

even experienced crackers like JohnWho cannot crack any of these

Attached: 81498741.jpg (1022x581, 158K)

I still use it, Delphi 7 was the last good Delphi IMHO, small executables, the speed of manual memory management, the simplicity of the language, the wide catalog of components, etc. I only miss generics.

Attached: delphi.png (1912x1072, 550K)

Cómo no, los únicos que usan Delphi son los rusos y los españoles. Sabía que encontraría algun español aquí.

It's utter shit.

I don't see what's the big deal of being "verbose". Instead of a bracket it's one or two words, and the words actually tell you something about what procedure or function is ending.
The new version is good too, user. And it has a free version.

>XRumer
Damn that shit is still alive and kicking.

At my university.

With a book?

P A S C A L

Don't bother with freepascal. PASCAL ISO is the way. A great book to learn it is ''PASCAL programming language'' by Konvalina.

Pajeet only learns Java, from the Java Master, sir.