Make an account on Discord

>make an account on Discord
>only requirement was username, password and email address
>use it for a few years
>suddenly I can't use my account anymore
>they are holding my account hostage unless I give them a phone number
>"oy gevalt you can't use a VPN, yiff yiff, you activated our security anti-bot system, so we need your phone number to prove you're human"
>look it up on google
>it says your phone number has to be in their whitelist and it should only be used for one account only

give me one (1) reason on why this garbage spyware is popular when they're powertripping like this?

Attached: pedocord aka discord.png (231x257, 11K)

Just use Matrix.

>give me one (1) reason on why this garbage spyware is popular when they're powertripping like this?
it got popular because discord paid streamers and youtubers (in its early days) to use and shill the service as hard as possible. these security measures appear to be something introduced over the last year. it appears they're trying to gather as much real world ID on users as possible, so using vpn is just another step for discord to get more personal information out of you.

>give me one (1) reason on why this garbage spyware is popular when they're powertripping like this?
Most people don't care about privacy and think that a phone number doesn't count as personal information

da jooz

That's bullshit.
Discord got popular because Skype was so shitty at that point that it was barely usable anymore, so every non-professional Skype user migrated to discord, when they attracted people from other services like Teamspeak.

because 99.8% of users have no ethical compass and don't mind furry pedophile spyware being on their system

TranTran, just give them a phone number. It's not like you haven't already sold your soul to the lowest bidder.

Because it's for GAYMURS dude! Don't you like the EPIC memes and references in the UI?

This.
There literally isn't an equivalent alternative at the moment either.
Kind of makes me miss the days of msn, Yahoo, and aol; however it is nice to have my friends in one place.

And all of your data, isn't it?

i don't like discord but unfortunately all my friends use it. and the reason people use it is because it's free, extremely easy to set it up, works in a browser, fuckton of bots that do a lot of different things and it's just overall better than Skype which was what all these people used before. When the program is this useful and people like it they won't mind sharing something like a phone number.

Normies do not care

Idk but when I read shit like this I see new market. What if we made a discord that doesn't suck. I don't just mean the privacy issues. Their UI is electron dogshit.

google, microsoft and facebook all pulled that crap on me. i just stopped using them

>what is teamspeak

imagine being this autistic and believing phone numbers even matter at this point in time

Imagine being this closeted and not realizing that there are actually many official government forms that use your phone number as a form of identification

that sounded retarded if true

fpbp.

>There literally isn't an equivalent alternative at the moment either.
>What is riot?

you must be american, that's such an american thing
just like still using swipe cards

Nope, he's right.

Discord support spungle here!

Our noble elf fairies have decided your account must remain banished in the no-no realm, kimpah! Thanks for contacting your old pal spuglemeister!

Yep. Nailed it

substantiate your claims

Will riot let you stream in a small group of people?

Me and my friend group often watch movies through discord, with 1 person streaming and 3+ other people watching.

It's also nifty just to have someone share their desktop for quick troubleshooting when setting up something.

if riot has this, then we will change instantly.

how about you get syncplay and not be a faggot

do you want your IM to make coffee for you too?

>rabbit has done this for almost a decade

I will not because this thing is fucking hell.

Rabbit is shit

syncplay requires everyone to have the file.

Fucking dumbasses. As usual, there is no real alternative. If people wanted a fucking "IM ONLY" solution, people would just use signal or some shit.

so why can't everyone get the file?

how does discord do this? streams it unencrypted to everyone so everyone other than the main person is 5 seconds behind, with six discord administrator trannies jacking off to your conversation which they'll forward to the relevant authorities for copyright protection after they're done edging?

You can't convince people to switch to something by making them jump through extra hoops. Normies want simplicity, not extra work.

People didn't use Skype for VoIP, retard. Mumble and TeamSpeak basically had a monopoly on VoIP.
>every non-professional Skype user migrated to discord
No, everyone moved to instant messengers way before Discord was made. Skype wasn't used by "non-professionals" ever since facebook messenger was released.

>Discord got popular because Skype was so shitty at that point that it was barely usable anymore
IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH SKYPE, YOU STUPID CUNT.

is this you?

Attached: 1538425747059.png (1760x1384, 424K)

if someone has that much karma and it's not an exaggeration that 3/4 of their posts are on the discord subreddit, then you're not looking at a soilet bootlicker but a literal paid shill discord employee

Because you retards still keep on using it

Talk to people face to face.

Riot does have video chat and screen sharing (shift-click the video chat button), but I haven't tried it outside one-to-one chats. Additionally, you can use integrations to embed a YouTube widget in a Riot room, but I don't think it does sync'd playback. Perhaps it'd be possible to embed Cytube or something like that as a custom widget, haven't tried.

>ctr-f "IRC"
>0 on 0
Bunch of zoomers, all of you
at least I guess tox and matrix are preferable over shitcord

This.
People uses Discord because Skype,Teamspeaker (and Slack) are barely usable, resource-heavy chatrooms apps.

>the evil government memey again
Actually, if any government cares deeply about you is because you are a CIA agent, or the fucking President.
Why they should waste money and time getting summaries of activities, conversations and mails of normal people?

Attached: Acerola.jpg (3558x2000, 419K)

Why are you lying?

>teamspeak
>resource heavy
lelwut

speaking about windows owned shit
i want msn/windows live messenger back

Attached: live-messenger.jpg (596x508, 77K)

What do you think you'll gain by denying it and shilling?

Attached: fuck yourself.png (1089x684, 37K)

hello tranny. go back to your furry-pedo discord channel and stay there :)

What made up head-canon nonsense is this? Discord is the best around and no one comes close. When someone does then we can switch to that and pretend they want our information as well.

Attached: no.gif (478x268, 845K)

JUST INSTALL THESE 10 SPYWARE BECAUSE YOUR CHOSEN SINGLE PROGRAM SPYWARE I DON'T LIKE!!!!!!
You are a retard.

IRC

THese are both true. Its worth noting that Hammer and Chisel (Discord devs) were funded by a LOT of venture capital under the startup ethos of "You don;t have to make a lot of money to start. In fact, you can run at a loss and we'll float you. You get a ton of users first, and THEN we'll worry about monetization once we've got them all hooked". This often leads to evil, even if it doesn't "require" it, its the easier way.

So out comes Discord - they look at the problems of Skype, the distributed gaming VOIP setups Mumble/Teamspeak, other chat features etc... and decide their plan of attack to "fix" it using their centralized proprietary structure! Some of them are legit features - easy invites and server creation for FREE, overlays etc.. all of course because of their centralized and proprietary servers, but most people arent' aware/dont' care abput that. They also go on an outreach to the streaming community and Patreon for integrations, ensuring that their platform is preferable etc.

By all accounts their plan succeeds and tons of people use their software/service. Then they start adding the additional monetizations. I didn't have a problem with the original Discord Nitro, as an optional subscription would have been fine if they had gone another way (allowed open source client support, encryption etc), but they also started to boil the frogs so to speak - the game store is another proprietary Windows only shitbox that's almost as bad as Epic in its idea about exclusivity by contract (they should have just been a keyseller - its good their store is more or less failing). Restrictions on VPNs and all that come down later because of dealing with people doing both actual and presumed shitty things etc..

Ultimately, the real solution is to move to Matrix.org (including but not limited to the riot.im client) which is the only thing that is open source, federated, and has a similar feature setup to Discord.

imagine being you and this much of a fucking retarded zoomer? did you just discover the internet today? get a rope and neck yourself, you useless cunt.

broker data and surveillance ("muh security so no bad terroristz")

This is why freetards ALWAYS lose
>just use this objectively worse software from the 90s lol

>Ultimately, the real solution is to move to Matrix.org (including but not limited to the riot.im client) which is the only thing that is open source, federated, and has a similar feature setup to Discord.
you had me until you shilled matrix over irc. get rekt, faggot.

Oh fuck off. Hell, Matrix has IRC bridges for those of you who want it. Anyone suggesting IRC is the "answer" to Discord is brain-deficient as they're entirely different. If IRC was "enough" for most Discord users and the features that it offers, it never would have come to power.

All the "old" stuff like IRC, XMPP, Mumble etc.. are still there and are viable for those who want them. However, the genie is out of the bottle - Discord isn't just one of those things it essentially replaced all of them and in the minds of many, did it better in terms of user experience (nevermind what happens behind the scenes).

Matrix is the only service that offers a similar level of features, but adds things like encryption , is open source and federated etc... so that's the best alternative to Discord (or Slack or any of those other "rich multi presence messengers".

I remember when Yahoo locked me out of my e-mail because their whole system was cracked. I didn't know the answer to the "security" question because why would I have compromised my account by a real answer years earlier? Imagine having a hard-to-crack password and then a real answer to a security question like "your favorite sports team" or something. Oh well. Thanks Marissa.

As for DIscord, it's a botnet. Would never use it for any purpose.

> user experience
lmao. you really are just fucking pathetic.
>Anyone suggesting IRC is the "answer" to Discord is brain-deficient as they're entirely different
of course. and IRC is much better than that fucking cancer you're trying to shill... THAT HARDLY ANYONE USES. stay mad, you useless and clueless fucking faggot.

It doesn't require you to give the IRC server owner your life history in order to chat and if the server owner is in bed with glowniggers you find a different server. So it is in fact objectively superior.

You're the one who sounds mad, friendo. Show me on the doll where Matrix touched you? Otherwise, i'm unsure the reason for your blind spot on this issue. Its on the level of asking people using fucking Internet Explorer that the solution is to browse with lynx in text mode, vs picking up Firefox , the better open source alternative with comparable features (ie actual graphics) they want vs being told to use something antiquated for the sake of it.

The exact same is true of Matrix as well. Run your own server if you wish!

>teamspeak
>resource heavy
>discord
javascript "developer"?

You can't even make a new google account without cucking yourself and giving away your phone number

Discord never asked me for my phone number and I have like 5 different accounts

Instagram have done the same to me, have to put in a phone number or else eternally locked out

Yes, matrix is a good alternative, it also supports end to end encryption. I'm not sure about their client, it's a web one so I assume it's just as bad as discord.

You can use any compatible client you wish, for instance there's a weechat plugin, weechat-matrix, that enables matrix support for the well-known CLI IRC/chat client. Of course, it isn't going to have GUI features or VOIP stuff at current etc.

Riot is the most "discord like" and full featured, and it does have a web client, but also a downloadable/local one.

Normalfags believe their lies and sincerely believe they need to do that to a) protect their account and b) prove they're not a bot bruteforcing the login page.

t. used to be an NPC

I see, I might try setting up a Matrix server as a rich-presence thing then, I'd like to pull some people off discord.

use a public wi fi or a vpn and change your password or email and it'l become a requirement

Great idea! If you just want to get a feel for it, you can use another server, get one hosted for you etc.. You can set up Synapse (or other server versions.) if you want to run your own server of course, which requires a bit more technical knowledge but they have some decent documentationm last I saw. Last time I ran my own was prior to the "launch" codebase changes earlier this year so its probably easier and more full featured now, just know there are multiple roads to the same end place - check the FAQs and docs.

I'm not sure if it helps, but do you have 2FA on your account? I have a TOTP generated setup and for many apps that helps to get around other security checks and whatnot.

not to worry OP, I had this problem too

I solved it by not using Discord

I don't really know much about it, but I have a raspi lying around gathering dust that I want to make use of, I'll have a look at what you mentioned, many thanks

they don't even have my phonenumber. i honestly don't know what OP is talking about. if he is to retarded to not give information away every chance he gets, he may should get off the internet since those hot singles will be demanding his credit card number any day now.

>make an account on Discord
stopped reading there

discord monitors all running processes on your machine and uploads that data to their servers

B for botnet, B for browsers.
If you need to run slack/discord do it in a browser, it runs in a browser anyway.

>i honestly don't know what OP is talking about
Have you tried reading the OP, you fucking retard? You can't even shill properly because you have the reading comprehension skills of a 12 year old.

Discord doesn't care if you have verified your account via email or if you're running 2FA with Google Authenticator or whatever.

They'll lock you out of your account unless you give them a phone number that hasn't been blacklisted and hasn't been used for another Discord. All you have to do is access your account with a VPN, or public Wi-Fi, or another IP address, and change your email, and you will get pic related.

Attached: pedocord.png (1440x2560, 191K)

>why this garbage spyware is popular
trannies and furries use it. is very popular among them. I don't have an agenda against them, nor I blindly hate either group. I just have a company account to moderate our product's server and even there, there is way too many of them.

Attached: 1485955564844.jpg (960x858, 71K)

>Everyone bitching about how Discord is axing servers with right-wing content and mass banning its users because le jews le commies
>Server I'm in has right-wing content
>Nerver banned
>Now bitching about this
>Accessed my account from public wifi and shit
>Never banned
The moment I get banned is the moment I stop using this shit and yell at all my friends to stop using it and move to something else, but despite all of the alleged powertripping I still haven't been banned yet and I wish they'd hurry the fuck up.

Attached: 1564856824792.png (600x501, 120K)

>it hasn't happened to me personally so that means it never will

What part of "I wish they'd hurry the fuck up" do you not understand? Were you microwaved as a baby or were you stupid stupid out of the womb?

Attached: 1568125794132.jpg (200x200, 5K)

Why don't we all setup a campaign to sabotage Discord & Skype and migrate to Riot/Matrix, unironically?!

Sounded ironic

I've been on Discord since 2016
and not once did they ask me for a phone number
why you lying

dilate, tranny

Wanted to raid some servers with the boys but can't create new accounts because of this stupid phone number thing. What to do? Was thinking about getting a prepaid. VPNs don't work.

so much SOUL

IRC is from the 80s retard

There are so many proprietary/compromised chat protocols/applications these days. Discord, Skype, Viber, WhatsApp, Telegram, Messenger and whatnot... Besides the good ol' IRC (freenode), XMPP and the new kid in the hood Matrix, the only viable solutions are Wire, and Signal (with a burner, PIN-secured)...

Attached: stallman.png (1024x600, 43K)

>discord
>not resource heavy

Attached: Apustajagondola.png (612x491, 63K)

"However, you may have to pay a fee to use certain features of the Service or to obtain Virtual Currency or Virtual Goods (as defined and discussed further below)." WTF MAN?! P2P elements go to regular apps?

"We reserve the right to reject any username or to terminate your username or prevent use of a username in our sole discretion, and without any liability to you." Lit. Social Justice Warriors

"Intellectual Property Rights" Goodbye DJs

YOUR DATA "By uploading, distributing, transmitting or otherwise using Your Data with the Services, you grant to us a nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free, sublicensable, and worldwide license to use Your Data, subject to the Company’s Privacy Policy." Basically data mining and you can be exposed if combining with other services.

tldr; Discord IS the second Skype.

I admit I used to use twitter until it started to jew me about this phone number shite.

>>Discord got popular because Skype was so shitty at that point that it was barely usable anymore, so every non-professional Skype user migrated to discord, when they attracted people from other services like Teamspeak.

lol, Discord paid hundreds of youtubers, streamers and other faggots to shill it. All that shilling paid off. Discord is still shit, the client has always been shit, but since "it just werkz, barely" it's the leader to children that don't have jobs.

I'm not going to google it for you.

there's really no reason to not just host a mumble server for your friends. its what me and my gaggle of friends did before this last 5 years of constant commie propaganda brainwashed half of them into just regurgitating constant shade about things you arent allowed to think or talk about.

discord is honestly more of a pain in the ass. you have to log on and update it and wait for the little spinny thing. mumble runs with like zero performance overhead on an atom netbook