Systemd wants to spread to your homedir

cfp.all-systems-go.io/media/homed-asg2019.pdf

systemd-homed is the new venereal disease coming from poettering team. you no longer are a user assigned id and homedir in a multi-user system, you're a client migrating his files to some machine. guess no one likes linking dirs anymore.

Attached: funny-systemd.gif (426x284, 3.99M)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html
devuan.org/os/init-freedom/
lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/09/msg00001.html
dragora.org/en/index.html
github.com/vianney/arch-luks-suspend
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fuck.

In the end, you're responsible for running systemd. You always have a choice not to use it.

NOOOO YOU CAN'T DO THAT
IT'S NOT LIKE UNIX(TM)

Not really considering that only meme distros support removing systemd.

>implying you're using your install as a multi-user system

Fucking lol.

Clown World indeed, no wonder debian started to wonder their stance on systemd

lmao
NOT NO MY GENTOO

i do, but then a) i run openbsd, b) most of those users are bots

Linux is tainted, use *BSD.

If Debian does the right thing, will Ubuntu follow along? Hopefully this is the end of systemdementia.

Well, void it is

Boy are you late to the party.

I know.. Im still using an old as fuck version of mint because I really dont want to break my system at this moment. Im buying a new pc soon at this was the last straw for me

So, excluding gentoo, ofc, which is the best systemd-free distro?

sorry, runit chad here.

Attached: void_bg.png (143x143, 6K)

Devuan
It's debian without systemd

Arch with openrc

If I ever needed another reason not to use void or gentoo and just keep to my Alpine and Arch world it's the fucking ponies. You people need to stop being proud, ruined the professional image of gentoo.

Parabola

I already use void
easy to install
easy to manage
no systemd shit

i dont have this problem on windows

>gentoo
>ponies
?

The gentoo devs are horsefuckers.

devuan GANG
RISE UP

And that's exactly why I love it.
Keeps the superficial spergs like you out.

Also
>Professional
>Not one of the three corporate district
Lol.

Also, which of these?
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html

This is exactly the reason why I fully support systemd. People complain all the time about how Linux isn't a major player on the desktop. Then someone like Poettering comes along and takes stuff from Windows and implements it in Linux to make Linux more appealing to the desktop, and people lash out. You can't have it both ways! You can either have your 1970s init.rc and UNIX piping with illogical commands and no userbase, or you can have a large userbase with more simple and modern tools (systemd)

It still baffles me that traditionally conservative to change Debian ran right in to SystemD. Due to this now it would be a massive pain in the ass to remove from so many distros, which is all according to plan for RedHat (now IBM) as it gives them dictation on the direction of Linux since SystemD is their baby.

Dragora and hyperbola according to devuan
devuan.org/os/init-freedom/

Thanks, user.

NOTHING about SystemD fixes the fragmented desktop and user experience for your average computer user, so it didn't do the things needed to bring new people to Linux as a deaktop. It only served to fuck things up for people that already use Linux as a desktop which is almost all power users.

sir you must've not heard of gentoo yet

Yes, its kind of like Windows, which is obviously the better operating system, lol.
They take lessons from the best.

Is systemd slowly evolving into it's own OS at this point?

You people unironically sexualise cartoon horses from a terrible children's cartoon show because they're the only females who represent friendship in your life.
Then you try and tell other people that you have anything of value to offer in technical areas over people who manage micro-servers that doing 80% of the application hosting on the net.
I mean I fap to weird shit too but I don't do what you horrid beings do in public, it's about decency and providing some form of normie olive branch, it's why you horsefuckers fail at (((optics))).

What are you talking about? It unified a lot of things. Did you look at the GIF that's in the OP? systemd guarantees that all of those things are configured uniformly across distros

Debian wants to abandon all the legacy sysvinit support and switch to systemd service files entirely:
lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/09/msg00001.html

redpill me on Devuan unstable. Is it as stable as Debian "un"stable? Or should I just go with Artix or Void if I want up-to-date software?

poottering speaks
>Goals
>MigratableHomeDirectories (all the way to the point of \home-on-a-stick")
so like doing cp to copy your files
>Self Contained Home Directories (i.e. mere existance of a /home/foobar.home synthesizes a user foobar)
so like ls and .bashrc
>UID assignments as local artifact
it already is
>Unification of User Password and Encryption Key
why this instead o wrappers/layers over /etc/passwd?
>Extensible User Records
this is literally windows registry
>Lock LUKS on System Suspend
someone doesn't know suspend hooks already exist
>Yubikeys, from day #1
hope you buy me one, poottering

>traditionally conservative to change Debian ran right in to SystemD
That to me was one of the biggest tells.
The Portuguese have a saying for it: If you see a tortoise in a tree, don't ask how it got there.
I mean, even Linus himself didn't want SystemD shit being added to the kernel. And yet there it is, looking back at all of us...

That's a lot of projections, user.

I can see how it's useful, but what really shits me is:
It seems to be using encrypted disk images, so RIP if any corruption happens
Kills SSH
Have to read and write metadata for every file on disk to chown it
Linux is a kernel.
(Yes)

>888
oh no
now I am legally obligated to install gentoo

systemd reimplements all the things in unix, that were reimplemented for Linux, poorly. it reengineers new wheels every couple months

>so like ls
s/ls/ln

I can agree with some of the problems highlighted in the current situation, but is yet another systemd daemon really the answer? Would it even work outside of a systemd environment? Heck, would future versions of systemd continue to work without the presence of homed?

It's how gentoo is seen, and it looks like how void is to be seen too.

>it reengineers new wheels every couple months
Pretty much sums it up. It's the desktop environment of init systems.

Nope. Almost all distros stopped compiling binaries that are not dependent on systemd even when such binaries only feature optional dependency on systemd.
Moreover, systemd gobbled up (see OP's pic) many technologies that are required to run our systems despite the fact they were completely independent before.

Dragora seems pretty comfy and is actively developed.

dragora.org/en/index.html

>systemd guarantees that all of those things are configured uniformly across distros
the anti thesis of distro is this not?

Runit is absolute dogshit and I'd use systemd any day over fucking runit.
>service is broken?
>LOLOLOL LET'S RESTART IT IN AN INFINITE LOOP
E B I N
Fuck off ruinit

Regular computer users DON'T TOUCH underlying components which is what SystemD handels, thats not the issue your average computer user has with Linux.
The issues they do have is inconsistent desktop experiences (even having Gnome on two distros can be set up and function differently), difficulty with application installs (want to install something not in your repository? lol, install from source, static linked flatpacks never really took off), etc.
You have a strong misunderstanding of what average computer users want from their PCs.

Soon, the concept of "distro" will involve a custom wallpaper, and only that.

Don't forget GuixSD

SSH is a database and not worth keeping apparently.
>homectl resize foobar 3G
Are you fucking kidding me Lennart?

>no LVM
>no proper full disk encryption
>no documentation for config, despite the fact config literally defines everything
"No".

Having your user and everything on a stick being able to put it into any machine sounds pretty awesome and will make backups easy.
I wish I could this for years now... oh wait.
This isn't something new, I am doing this for years already.

Fuck regular users.
Besides you could make the "underlying components" make much more hacker friendly without "regular users" noticing.
There is no sane reason for the opaqueness of systemd except that Redhat wants to take ownership over the Linux userland.

poettering even says in the pdf he targets laptop users, who would "migrate" their home directories to other computers.
what actually happens in the real world laptop users take their fucking laptops with them, so there's nothing to migrate. if they change old laptop for new one, they just copy files via usb stick. i have no idea who would use that misfeature.

>Fuck regular users.
Yet you post in >This is exactly the reason why I fully support systemd. People complain all the time about how Linux isn't a major player on the desktop. Then someone like Poettering comes along and takes stuff from Windows and implements it in Linux to make Linux more appealing to the desktop, and people lash out.
You're a fucking retard.

>It's how gentoo is seen, and it looks like how void is to be seen too.
That's literally the first time I've heard that about gentoo.
And apparently not only me.
So I wouldn't count this as a huge problem.

This. Systemd does absolutely nothing for the regular user, and for the power users it just makes things infinitely less secure due to its bloat and Mr. NOTABUG, WONTFIX

Attached: systemdhcp.jpg (3456x2304, 2.54M)

A home directory is nothing more than a user-specific /etc anyway, I keep all my files somewhere else precisely because all sorts of things feel free to dump whatever garbage they like in home. so if you want to change the format of a config directory, I could give a shit, really.

You got the wrong person there

Attached: 2019-09-20_16-58.png (1567x279, 78K)

Exactly, you can have sane defaults within a customisable system.
The main reason is that most people won't install operating systems at all, They'll just use what comes on their computer when they buy it.

windows phone is pretty good

This. Turbosperg bronies need to keep their faggy fetishes a secret.

Attached: fact.jpg (2524x1419, 232K)

>Then someone like Poettering comes along and takes stuff from Windows and implements it in Linux to make Linux more appealing to the desktop
Newsflash, nobody actually cares how Windows does this low-level stuff. Do you think the average joe or even an experienced user bothers to look at their system logs? or running services beyond the shit they see in Task Manager? They really don't. I get wanting to make a more appealing environment, but this is NOT how you do it. The problem is app compatibility. Start there, end there.

FSF-approved. This is the best answer.

>Yes, I get my news from Jow Forums OPs how could you tell?

Attached: 70911299_p0.png (1686x910, 426K)

Na, I choose to believe that all of Jow Forums is just me and one other person with schizophrenia who posts as many other people.

Yes user, thats the exact point I was making

I must be a brainlet because I have no fucking idea after reading it multiple times what problem is this supposed to solve.
Put LUKS on home folder with userpass = key?

Not necessarily.
Ubuntu isn't really based on Debian anymore.
It's an abomination of snap packages.

Come to think of it, why doesn't systemd do package management?

This will probably be better than the nsswitch+sssd+oddjob+mkhomedir+central LDAP UID mappings system we have right now, but it's a very fundamental change to the system.
It seems more like something for enterprise users, yeah.
t. messing around with IdM services and was looking for exactly this

Based! Think of all the posts you see on 4channel asking for help on flashing a USB. Most people don't understand how to do that. Really what I think can help along with compatibility efforts is offering GNU/Linux as an option. I think Dell still does this on certain business laptop models and that's great! HP should join on this. They have an option when buying to choose either paying for Windows or getting FreeDOS as essentially the "no OS" option. Why FreeDOS? They could just slap Fedora on there and there you go. What about Lenovo. They must know how many extremely autistic freetards buy memepads to install GNU/Linux on them. They could ship them with some distro to give them even more reason to buy their new thiccpad.

NO, WHY DID YOU SAY THAT?! NOW IT WILL HAPPEN!

You can also use the accepted licenses flag in Gentoo to get a libre system. They aren't FSF approved because they allow nonfree, but with the flag, you can set a hard limit on that and only allow free as in freedom into your install.

I've been using Linux as my primary desktop for 15 years and it's always been fine. The Poetteringware just makes it more usable for smooth brains that are afraid to edit config files. Those people should go back to using windows or macs.

I don't even think it does that though. There is no more or less config file editing that goes on in a systemdless distro compared to a systemd one. Desktop users aren't touching init scripts or service files anyway

shut up

obligatory

Attached: systemdlength.png (1711x1492, 539K)

He actually wanted to in the past, I've seen him posting about it. But it seems that flatpak guys told him "WE WILL DO IT INSTEAD BRO FOCUS ON SOMETHING ELSE PLEASE [spoiler]PLEASE[/spoiler]" and the crisis was averted.

Attached: SystemdDNS.jpg (1432x1700, 785K)

Sounds pretty cool.

Livestream it

>Lock Luks on system suspension
g: NOOOOOOOO STOP YOU CAN'T DO THAT, I WANT TO HAVE AN INSECURE LAPTOP UNTIL I TURN IT OFF

Wake me up when it absorbs Imagemagick and Ffmpeg.

Attached: gabu.jpg (576x512, 53K)

Most of systemd's shitstirring is about making IT easier on the large scale. Most beneficial consequences on single-user desktops are accidental.

>NOOOOOOOO STOP MAKING MY SECRET CLUB MORE ACCESSIBLE
lmao

Attached: 1563599659849.jpg (785x731, 101K)

Pretty much this, Lenny Pottery is just doing what paying RHEL customers desire.

Attached: f3372885888.jpg (720x960, 139K)

ok tard

When is this faggot going to stop?

>Fuck regular users
Yeah, no wonder Desktop linux is a joke. People like you are the worst.

>implying you can't do that already
github.com/vianney/arch-luks-suspend

When Redhat/IBM stops printing money