Where are my Win98 bros at?

Where are my Win98 bros at?

Attached: IMG_1061.jpg (2196x3045, 1.31M)

Other urls found in this thread:

trisquel.info/
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#list-of-supported-thinkpad-x60s
rp9.win98.nl/
youtube.com/watch?v=KFEpHEXBCbA
youtube.com/watch?v=y-8AFarqZMg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

how high is the risk to get hacked when going online with an old OS and browser like this?

> wolf3d
mein neger

>hacked
hope they enjoy my 1kb twunk temp files and shitty bmp paint doodles

Dead

Probably pretty low. Your OS will be too old to even run any malware.

No, just resting.

Attached: file.png (1000x750, 1.4M)

Nooooooooooo you have to run the latest version of Windows! 98 is way past EOL! You need the latest features and security patches!

Attached: d90.png (644x800, 15K)

you must be ultimate neet if you don't keep any valuable data or files you want to keep

Not on a Windows 98 PC.

would gladly run old shitbox problem is astronomic electricity costs would prevent me to enjoy it

How do yout do, fellow 30 year old boomers?

Attached: IMG_0226.jpg (3264x2448, 1.72M)

Here.

Attached: article-0-08AEB69E000005DC-899_233x423.jpg (233x423, 40K)

Windows 98 is propietary malware.
I recommend you install fully libre GNU/Linux distribution, such as Trisquel.
trisquel.info/
Just buy a shit-laptop then.
But please buy one that can be librebooted. I recommend a ThinkPad X60.
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#list-of-supported-thinkpad-x60s
The X60 isn't all that shitty, but it's good for your freedom.

Why do you need libreboot?
Insyde H20 has no backdoors. You can disassemble it, and see that it is basically a CPU blob, basic information about PC it is gonna be used, and a logo.
It is x86, so disassembling is possible

Attached: me.png (1024x768, 153K)

Even though its an album cover, you still have a wallpaper of 2 little kids you dont know

Can it run StarCraft?

>he doesn't use Windows Millennium
yikes

what the fuck

how

how the fuck ????

It's just revolutions pack 9 theming
rp9.win98.nl/

Hei brah

Attached: file.png (1333x1000, 2.2M)

>early 2000's
>purposefully switch XP to classic theme
>20 years later
>zoomer purposefully theme classic theme into XP

It was a disappointment for me that they dropped the classic theme from Windows 10. It's a shame.

what does that say about billy corgan

I think it also has themes for Vista and win10

>magnavox
neat

Are you the CT /mu/ spammer?

Any boomers here still have their computer from the 90s?

Magnetbox*

Attached: 85caf49bca7801b8598a7d08bd908910.jpg (601x454, 34K)

note that it's labeled as an HDTV despite being in 4:3. fuck 2005 era magnavox

I have a few of my dad's machines

shit laptops are electricity hogs too my t61 draws 30w IDLE

t. x250 happy user

I'm pretty sure it's just referring to 480p

Who even cares? Don't do sensitive stuff or store anything valuable on it.

30 year olds are millenials

Nobody gives a shit about your retro hobby box enough to waste time trying to pop vulnerabilities everyone forgot about when they were patched 20 years ago.

Same applies even to shit like Vista and XP.

>astronomic
Do you live in some shithole where power costs $1/kWh or something? A lot of these shitboxes barely push 200 W maximum draw even for a workstation, they just aren’t as efficient as newer systems.

>google

here

Attached: IMG_0161.jpg (2016x1512, 850K)

>Why yes, I do use MS-DOS 6.0 as my main OS in 2019! What gave it away?

Attached: 1565720214451.jpg (640x640, 51K)

deltree C:\

Any chance of running Win98 on modern hardware?

Win98 can only read 2GB of ram max

Not on bare metal, and you wouldn’t want to anyway because it’s a terrible operating system.

A shame.
I was thinking to build a machine without a hard-disk and just having one of these instead so I could just pop in a disk to run an os.

Attached: dock.jpg (1000x1000, 55K)

right here

Attached: 20190920_170114.jpg (4032x1960, 1.96M)

Here.

Attached: IMG_20190919_010450.jpg (2016x1512, 321K)

>limewire

Ah, I see I found a fellow zip disk user. How does it feel being on the cutting edge of portable storage technology?

for me it was the Jaz drive

Wrong: if you are 30 or older you are a big B boomer.

Pretty great, having 100meg on the go is more space than anybody will ever need.

Attached: libretto.jpg (6000x4000, 1.84M)

incorrect. gen x is before millenials if youre going to argue anything

boomeer spotted. go mow the lawn or something

Considering the OS is older than a lot of the users of this board, there's probably thousands of documented exploits and vulnerabilities for it. The thing is, what would be the point? People going after win98 machines would be targeting them intentionally, i.e. they know what the machine is and what it's doing before they even try. They would be looking for government, medical and financial systems that are still running some kind of ancient in-house software that hasn't been replaced with a modern solution. Some hobbyist dicking around with win98 won't even be on their radar. What's the reward for their efforts? A RAS rip of any passwords they've got stored? Whoop-de-doo. No one is going to store anything sensitive on a machine like that and the people who would be able to access you data would know that.

This guy did: youtube.com/watch?v=KFEpHEXBCbA
Still doesn't mean you should. Early Pentium 4 (Northwood)/865 chipset is the latest platform that had native Win98 support (can't remember the latest AMD had, Athlon Thunderbird?), and even then I would get a PIII base system over that if you want to spend a little more money.

>People going after win98 machines would be targeting them intentionally
I think automated scans over the whole of the internet are a thing, and have been a thing for a long time. No real human involvement, other then setting the thing up in the first place.
The aim would be just to add whatever it managed to get into to its botnet.
That botnet will then be rented out to DDoS, or whatever one uses botnets for.

>mfw I unironically use a shitty netbook running dos as a music player

Attached: 1501761100532.jpg (960x960, 46K)

Hey Druaga. How are the videos coming along?

GUTENTAG

I miss w98. I miss being told when it's safe to turn off my computer. I miss that spooky dude in the haunted house. I miss the comfy baseball theme.

damn it

Druaga as in the Namco game? Whoever has that name is holy based.

>LCD on a Win98 machine
LMAOing at your life

zoom zoom

I never actually used windows 98. Went from windows 95 to the legendary windows me.

>pifmgr
Based.

It's time to Quit using Win98

I've held on to Win98 for years, and always loved it. I've added everything possible such as Kernal-Ex, to keep it going, and struggled to cope with incompatible software that requires newer versions of Windows, particularly browsers.

The time has come to retire Win98, and allow Microsoft to win their efforts to obsolete the older versions of Windows. But Microsoft really is NOT going to win. In fact in my case, THEY LOSE. From the moment I first put my hands on XP, I hated their so called NT based OSs. I tried, really tried to adapt to XP, and always hated it no matter how hard I forced myself to use it. By that time they had created their worst failure, Vista, and were on their way to more bloated OSs, which I would not touch if they gave me a free computer. Just seeing a Windows 8 computer on the shelves at a store makes me nauseous. All I see on those screens are ugly boxes with links to commercial companies I would not even go near, such as Netflix. They cant even offer decent looking icons anymore.

Years ago, I knew thart the time would come when I could no longer use Win98. It appears this time has come. Mainly due to the fact that there is no longer a browser that is made for W98 that is compatible with most present websites. I coped with occasional websites which would not properly load in past years, but it now seems that 4 out of 5 sites are no longer loading properly, using Firefox 3.6.x, and worse using other browsers that work on W98. Of course I place blame on Mozilla for not making their newer versions of Firefox compatible with W98.

The PC computer was originally supposed to be *THE* hardware for any OS, but Microsoft took over and made the PC the Microsoft Computer. Their only competitor is Linux, and there is really no competition involved, since Linux has no actual support, and there are so many different variations of Linux that only a computer geek can begin to use it, and even then, it wont run popular software intended for Windows witout adding yet more software.

The bottom line is this. Either kiss Microsoft's ass, or toss your PC in the nearest garbage can. Well, I have given this considerable thought, and decided that I will never give Microsoft another cent. Particularly when I hate every OS they have made since Win98. I can still continue to use WIN98 for my personal uses, but in order to go on the internet, I have decided to spend some money and buy a Macintosh computer. I never thought that I'd make that switch, and being elderly, I really hate having to relearn to use a completely different computer system, yet, there really is no other option.

I say this with much sadness, because I really liked Win98, and still do. It's the only decent OS made by Microsoft, and they did their best to destroy it. I guess 2019 will be the year when all of my past 25+ years of PC computer learning and use goes down the shitter, and I switch to Macintosh. In some ways, I wish I had begun my computer learning with the Mac, because I would not have to start all over now. But that's life, particularly when Misrosoft greed is involved, and they create one of the wealthiest monopolies on earth, while creating absolute shit.

here's what I got

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 7.11.15 PM.png (1280x800, 798K)

youtube.com/watch?v=y-8AFarqZMg

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 8.47.11 PM.png (1280x800, 1.36M)

god, so much soul

>so what's THE bes...
what did you post in my thread user

It's still there (it's built into the primal parts of user32), but becoming more and more broken - and a bitch to enable.

Windows 93 for life.

>being a poor who couldn't afford a flat panel (or a real operating system) in the '90s

Attached: 1569040730946.jpg (716x724, 20K)

The first time I played FF7 was on a slightly lagging windows 98 desktop computer. I miss the CRT the most.

>implying people don't back up their files

You'd be surprised. Mostly only basic functionality because drivers but it'll still boot on remarkably recent hardware.
I built a triple-boot machine (DOS/Win98SE/XP) a while back just to test how far I could push things while still having fully functional DOS and Win9x support and ended up with a Core2Duo E8400, PCIe 6800GT and Aureal Vortex2. Sound Blaster emulation still worked in pure DOS because the chipset was pretty much the last to support proper NMI so Aureal's TDMA could still work (regular DMA was already ded by that chipset so actual Creative PCI cards wouldn't work that way). Also Win9x just straight up thinks PCIe is ordinary PCI and will act like nothing is out of the ordinary so the GPU worked fine. IIRC I needed to manually add the vendor string for the GPU to the driver, since it supported the NV40 but the last driver version for 9x came out before the card did.

Hows that dial up

Can you run YouTube onit?
I switced from XP because YouTube kept getting weird glitches in every browser.

>napster
fuckin based

what keyboard is that? i've never seen such weird curved keys

AFAIK the scans are mostly looking for malware on the machines, rather than scanning 4.2B ipv4 addresses to check for the OS and open ports. Most automated scans are to look for old backorifice and sub7.

Tweengo

That feel when your Win98SE PC has 8GB drive that barely fits some games like Q1/Q2 etc

lolwut
Q1 is like 100MB.