So what's THE best laptop distro?

so what's THE best laptop distro?

Attached: retro-toshiba-main.jpg (800x599, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

system76.com/pop
getfedora.org
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are you working with your laptop ? => Debian all the way
Are you doing faggot shit with your laptop ? => faggot distro
Are you an autist ? => autist distro

>Are you working with your laptop ? => Debian all the way
Weird way to spell open Software und System-Entwicklung

>using ancient outdated programs for work

Can you do anything on there besides running neofetch and vi?

Weird way to spell Fedora

Debian testing with nonfree blobs is the best for laptops

Weird way to spell RHEL

>THE best laptop distro
install gentoo

Unironically gentoo but you have to put the time into configuring it

Weird way to spell gentoo

I would say Lubuntu

lxde is deprecated and has a billion bugs
lxqt is pre-alpha testing garbage with a billion bugs
stable distros having the new xfce are not out yet and from what I've heard the new xfce is quite a resource hog

therefore right now there are only two options
plain debian with all that laptop mode tools or whatever it's called + a tiling wm
or
ubuntu mate if it's a newer laptop because you get support for a lot of new shit and everything just works.

literally anything else is dogshit on a laptop, trust me I've tried them all.

Sadly I get screen tearing with all the “nondemanding” DEs on my laptop. XFCE, LXQT and even MATE. Seems like they desperately need to be updated.

Weird way to spell Debian

IBM Fedora on a IBM Thinkpad.

macOS

Fedora XFCE

>looping back around
kys

>so what's THE best laptop distro?
gentoo

Attached: 1024px-Slackware_logo.svg.png (1024x1024, 308K)

Implying Mate is not the worst of all the DE you just cited
Lxde still does the job but not for years for sure, if you want real lightweight, you shall consider it
Lxqt is decent right now despite some minor bugs and lack of optimisation, might be very good soon, I would go for it
Xfce is good in it's newer version. Well ok, it's not that lightweight anymore but still more than 2019 Mate and not everybody is looking specifically for a lightweight DE. Basic user might want to wait for Xubuntu to implement it next month but there are already many ways to try it
Plus: if you 're Chinese, go deepin of course

one that gets the job done so certainly not that lol

>Mate
>screen tearing
I said ubuntu mate you retard, it's already preconfigured with like two compositors for you to choose from so you dont get tearing. literally you click a checkbox and tearing is gone.

Void

Depends on the laptop.

sage

Are you both a faggot and an autist? => Arch Linux

Attached: rcanyz8rtb731.png (1080x1032, 1.2M)

dont forget about distros that take a lot of battery usage, i thnk gentoo is up on the list with almost 30 hours??? even with that im not buying compiling eveything from source

This person haven't worked a day in his life

an ancient dell latitude

Pop!_OS
system76.com/pop
or
Fedora Core
getfedora.org

Arch or Void for BASED autist distros

Win10

On that thing? FreeDOS.

Weird way to call your mom

Debian

Attached: DSC_2458.jpg (2000x1421, 778K)

Alpine

what distro uses less ram

Absolutely Aesthetic

Why the FUCK would you put some new ass OS on a stone age vintage machine?
It won't be connected to the interwebs so why fucking care?
Just slap DOS6 and Win3.1 on it and call it a day.

Attached: [niceing_stops].jpg (337x479, 115K)

imbecile

Attached: whatifitwillbe.jpg (2928x922, 588K)

This. I also suck cock.

Gnome with TLP gives me better battery life than windows did so I'm good to use that and call it a day.

im gunna say arch linux. its fucking crazy, but its one of the few distros that actually turns on wifi drivers in the fucking installer, it detects and can install on eMMC hard disks out of the box (god DAMN gentoo), and yes, it even has uefi documentation so you can install that too (how many distros even give tools to WORK with uefi exactly? its fucking stupid)

Fedora and all distros based off Ubuntu do this

yes but bloated distros are inherently worse for laptops at least. in fact i have fedora installed on my laptop right now and its using literally all my ram and half my swap fucking idle. im going to try fedora xfce4 (because fedora gnome doesn't have any other desktop environments/window managers in their fucking repos? what the fuck?) but in my own experience arch has been the most straight forward clean shit

>it wont be connected to the interwebs
why not

>He doesn't know about flatpak

debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html

>Testing has more up-to-date software than Stable, and it breaks less often than Unstable. But when it breaks, it might take a long time for things to get rectified. Sometimes this could be days and it could be months at times. It also does not have permanent security support.

yeah, great for work

based

Pop! GNU, the GNU OS from system76 which is installed by default on their laptops, and thus by extension is the best GNU on laptops since it has financial motive to be good.

maybe if 15 ever comes out

crux would be great except it has no packages. why wouldn't a fucking linux distro have an emacs package?

if i want to upgrade to testing from stable, i know you change it to "testing" in sources.list. but when you do that, is it better to upgrade with sudo apt upgrade or sudo apt dist-upgrade? I have had bad luck in the past where i tried to upgrade and it wouldnt boot up again

>better battery life than windows
not possible unless you cripple your cpu in TLP to always run at 800mhz or some shit