GPL damaged?

Reading through the news and shaking my head, I'm also wondering: Will developers think twice when deciding to use the GPL for their projects because it's associated with and written by RMS, or will this tragedy have no impact on licensing?

Pic semi-related.

Attached: 1568998728138.png (720x869, 113K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/nutshell.html
copyleft.org/guide/comprehensive-gpl-guidepa3.html#x26-152000III
wiki.fsfe.org/Migrated/GPL Enforcement Cases
gnu.org/philosophy/enforcing-gpl.html
gnu.org/philosophy/selling.en.html
gnu.org/philosophy/selling-exceptions.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think the pronouns-in-twitter-bio people will steer clear of it. Others will continue to use it.

GPL sucks anyway.
Use MIT or BSD.

>working for free for proprietary software companies

Since the MIT took Epstein money, the MIT license would be as haram as the GPL.

>GPL sucks anyway.
>Use MIT or BSD.
Better check out all these project restricting user freedom, which are powered by these non-copyleft licenses and think twice who's freedom are you supporting.
In my opinion non-copyleft licenses are more about freedom of corporations to mistreat your freedom, than user freedom.
Scroll down to the "1.2.2. Who Uses FreeBSD?" section.
freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/nutshell.html
>OS X borrows heavily from FreeBSD for the network stack
Cool they call it "borrowing", while FreeBSD haven't seen the source code for years, until Apple decided they "love opensource" and even after that, Apple still can use BSD-licensed software to lock down their devices, because software they ship to users is restricted by a nonfree license.

you're working for free either way

Hopefully.

Rusthomos BTFO

Attached: qeq.png (690x720, 664K)

I'll gladly work for free if it means less profits for bullshit corporations.

Why wouldn't you use the pedo license? Little girls are sexy.
"MIT" sounds too dry and academic.

Does BullShit Distribution license sound better?

>Why yes, I use the Apache License. How did you know?

Attached: gigachad.jpg (1068x601, 65K)

At least I don't help greedy pigs build cyberpunk dystopia for me to live in.

FREETARD PEDOS SEETHING

Lmao

this! apache is the white man's license.

>FREETARD PEDOS SEETHING
Not an argument idiot. Stop drinking water, because pedos drink water too.

Real life nowadays feels worse than any cyberpunk dystopia...

Glow more, nigger.

Attached: cianigger.jpg (570x856, 66K)

Privative software is better.

That's why we should stop enabling the pigs.

no one worth following will give a shit about rms witchhunt

have sex

Yep, it's obvious, this attack on Stallman was really attack on freedom.

>book burning
>witch hunting
time goes backwards

holy shit

Fuck off, paid Chinese shills!

>Fuck off, paid Chinese shills!
Says someone literally defending business of big corporations. Wonder who's paid here.

with children

No. You can use my code for your backdoor stuff. But if you will open up a business with my code, you'll have to give out yours for free too.

The twitter mob never used the GPL in the first place, it's all web shitters using MIT license.

Attached: 1568898450212.png (1029x596, 38K)

I can't believe these people so easily and drastically change their views to such extremes just because some shitty "news" outlet wrote a bad, clickbait headline.

I would avoid using GPL code now.
The FSF has proven to be cucks, there's the possibility they'll put some tranny-tier political shit in the next version of the license and projects will be pressured to use it, just like GPLv3.

>just like the GPLv3
Fuck off Linus, the GPLv3 is great for your freedom.
Now, if you're worried that post-RMS ""FSF"" will write the GPLv4 badly on purpose, you can just license your project as GPLv3-only instead of GPLv3+. This will only allow the copyright holder (you) to upgrade the license.

Or... I just won't. And no one will know, or care. The GPL is purely masturbatory.

>you'll have to give out yours for free too.
I don't think you understand what the "free" in free software means. It's about the freedoms granted, not the price.
Commercial free software exists and it's an important contribution to our community.
>You can use my code for your backdoor stuff
As long as that software is not tivoized, yes.
>Or... I just won't.
Enjoy getting legal action, retard. Of course most copyright holders will only bother to sue the big fish, but it's still a legitimate fear.
>And no one will know, or care
If no one cares to check GPL enforcement in your software, then it's not cared enough about. In short: it's a piece of shit.
Anyone with more than one neuron will know to choose the free alternative.
>The GPL is purely masturbatory.
copyleft.org/guide/comprehensive-gpl-guidepa3.html#x26-152000III
wiki.fsfe.org/Migrated/GPL Enforcement Cases
gnu.org/philosophy/enforcing-gpl.html
Aside from cases where legal action was taken, many developers will simply comply with the license whenever they modify software under it. Because, unlike you, they aren't thieving niggers.
A famous case of this is of NeXTSTEP. Steve Jobs wanted to use GCC, so his company released all of their modifications under the
GPL.
Even the king of propietary software was willing to liberate some of his in exchange of using GNU's powerful programs. With this in mind, to say the GPL is masturbatory is like saying that law itself is masturbatory. Of course there are some sad cases where they aren't enforced, but most of the time they help mantain order.

Wrong. The FSF is on RMS side.

Then why was he kicked out?

this. anyone who says otherwise is a shill who wants you to get your property stolen via cucked license.

He resigned due to outside pressure.

>tfw you public domain everything so you don't have to worry about the stupid fucking license wars

And I get to feel superior to both sides while doing it.

Is that why they fired him?

There are countries in which the public domain doesn't exist. People who live in those places can't legally use your software.
I recommend you use Creative Common's Public Domain dedication (CC0). It dedicates your work to the public domain, and in countries where it doesn't exist, provides a fallback license which gives you the same freedoms as the actual public domain.

Literally nobody cares, not even the governments

Why not use the Affero GPL and sell proprietary licenses to corporations?

Why would you want to deny people's freedoms? You can still make money with free software.

gnu.org/philosophy/selling.en.html
gnu.org/philosophy/selling-exceptions.html

I'm more concerned about what will happen to GPLv4 and all those projects with licenses that allow licensees to upgrade to later versions.

I would not put it past FSF's new leadership to expand the scope of the license to encompass social justice politics.

This is what terrifies me the most about all of this.

Who gives a fuck

>muh freedom

they don't make software anyway so it doesn't matter.

no but BaSeD does

no, it repeats in cycles.

as apposed to what?

Use ISC then.

What's with Twitter users and all that virtue signaling? It's even worse than other social media, except tumblr but that's dead.

I liked FreeBSD (even as desktop) until "FreeBSDGirl" turned up and the lgbtq shit followed. And now there is a COC. tl;dr: it turned cancer.
OpenBSD is also getting rekt soon.