Is anyone using this? What makes it good or special?

Is anyone using this? What makes it good or special?

Attached: netbsd-512.png (512x512, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

zdnet.com/article/linux-developer-abandons-vmware-lawsuit/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It can literally run a toaster.

I have the same question, and what advantages it have over FreeBSD, OpenBSD or DragonflyBSD.

If BSD license wasn't so cucked and fond of proprietary shit I'd use them.

Attached: wtf-08.jpg (716x520, 119K)

It's pretty fucking portable, and runs anywhere. Breddy gud for embedded or very niche cases. I'd usually go for FreeBSD or OpenBSD, as I'm usually running pretty standard shit, but I've heard very interesting stuff about rump kernels.

Also the possibility of making money without the FSF auditing me is pretty tempting; that again is why I usually go for [OF]BSD in general.

Highly portable, sane code good for embedded development and custom applications, e.g. toasters and backstratching robots. If I wanted to make a ball-scratching robot using the RISC-V architecture, I'd go for NetBSD.

However for desktop and server use I prefer OpenBSD. It tends to be the simplest, easiest to install and maintain, and most stable for me.

I use it. It's a solid, stable system capable of being used as a daily driver. It has modern WINE now, albeit with a difficult setup which will be alleviated in the next release.

It’s an excellent and truly under rated OS as a desktop, and for servers and embedded it works great too.

NetBSD isn't as autistic about GNU removal

>Also the possibility of making money without the FSF auditing me
you can be audited and sued for violating the BSD license

I run it on an Amiga 1200 w/030.
Runs faster than Linux. It's usable, unlike Linux.

Attached: 1563577227965.png (1920x1080, 2.11M)

Cleanly organized code. Not bloated.
My (custom) kernel is ~200KB. Compare that with multi-megabyte Linux garbage.

I have an x79 system that I think I'm going to install this on. It can with an >OCZ ssd

Loonix can probably barely run on the fastest coldfire cpus these days

Linux embedded is over. Too fat, the kernel is huge.

Linux is over in general.
Clusterfuck of hacks piled on each other. Spaghetti code. Pathological corner cases everywhere.
Technical debt is such that major design changes aren't possible anymore, and even trivial changes cost several times as many man hours on Linux than they would do on a sane system like any BSD.

Attached: 1545899262196.jpg (1920x1080, 1.01M)

Heh. And Dragonfly does match, sometimes beat (such as the network stack) Linux performance, despite tiny team of developers.
Shows their decision to not follow Linux's approach for SMP is paying off now. And makes FreeBSD look pretty bad for not listening to Matt.

>trivial changes
give examples

>>>/lkml/

why do you write about things you clearly have no knowledge about? at best you look smart to brainlets who barely have two braincells to rub together and at worst you just look retarded to everybody else.

>Technical debt
I hate the techbros who coined that term. In my day that was just "design choice"

All that spaghetti code runs in supervisor mode. Technical debt is PC for absolute shit.

Your "spaghetti code" is my "UNIX way"

Friendly reminder Linux is not UNIX.

That doesn't mean anything. There are many "trivial changes" that would be a pain on *BSD and comparatively much easier on some Linux distros like for example using another libc on gentoo.

You're mixing up Linux (the kernel) with the choices of userspace it has.
I was talking about kernels and nothing more.

Yes, but by the original author, not by a completely external parasite who has nothing to do but to claim all "free" software must suck its dick or else it isn't free

You can't do that period.
Some moron tried with vmware, see how far they got.

Not him, but what do you mean.

zdnet.com/article/linux-developer-abandons-vmware-lawsuit/

only the copyright holder can sue even in the case of GPL. this is why FSF asks for copyright assignment
(in my opinion there should be some provision for class actions to enforce the GPL)

bamp

>linux is over in general
the year of the linux desktop is closer than its ever been!

More like it won't ever happen; That ship has sailed.

>FSF asks for copyright assignment
Bingo

It is great if you want to see what true non bloated UNIX looks like.
The lack of community and developers is actually an advantage: not much changes and "experiments" besides bug fixes.

>It is great if you want to see what true non bloated UNIX looks like.
Very much this.

>not much changes and "experiments" besides bug fixes
This isn't true at all. All of the BSDs engage in research and change.

>not removing pro-sex trafficking licenses from your OS

Where is that BSD autism chart?

business people think debt is good.

you can compile it anywhere, the code is easy to understand, it'll run anywhere too. really it's worth pulling the source code just for a poke around. recommended.