>github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/blob/master/docs/hand_wire.md
>matt3o.com/hand-wiring-a-custom-keyboard/

PCB guides
>github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/blob/master/docs/hand_wire.md
>github.com/ruiqimao/keyboard-pcb-guide
>wiki.ai03.me/books/pcb-design

Buyer's template:
>pastebin.com/33S1gVkG

Attached: 20190911_220724.jpg (3257x1832, 1.25M)

Other urls found in this thread:

thekey.company/collections/sanctuary-rebirth/products/sanctuary-rebirth-keysets
youtube.com/watch?v=jfz9TgeZ9m0
openstenoproject.org/plover/
keyboard-layout-editor.com/
kickstarter.com/projects/keytron/keychron-k4-96-compact-wireless-mechanical-keyboard?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

keyboards are the gayest and lamest """""""""""""""""""""hobby"""""""""""""""""""" I can possibly imagine

>i have a lot of keyboards
bro i'm into keebs

Attached: 1526649079127.gif (413x243, 51K)

feeling uninspired to work on my keyboard designs, currently brainstorming something weird

maybe adding multiple gesture sensors and trackpads to something like a dactyl-manuform

apds-9960 breakout boards are like $2

I have like 2-3 laying around, but can't find a use for a rotary encoder, let alone a gesture sensor

>vertical mouse goes in the fucking middle
Could you make a less ergonomic setup?

I was thinking scrolling and audio controls, maybe mouse too

>gayest
that would be desktops tho
>lamest """""""""""""""""""""hobby""""""""""""""""""""
yeah they're pretty lame

This is how I feel now

I was pic related at first but fuck it. Just going to buy some cheap chink board from KBD and join keycap gb's here and there. Fuck learning how to solder. All this keep shit is always too expensive, low quantity/out of stock and exclusive.

>build your own fucking keyboard edition
I do :^)

Attached: IMG_20190821_220832.jpg (2511x1554, 1.04M)

agreed, touchpad goes in the middle

This is what I'm saying. Why do you NEED more than 1 of them to enjoy? You can't use more than 1 at a time anyway.

Attached: even more walthers.jpg (3666x1567, 1.39M)

Do americans really

Is it expensive to build a 3D-printed keyboard like this? Is it comfortable?

split is for balls in the middle

got this board for $40 because a switch was suffering from the matias lube bukkake

if you have a 3D printer, it costs basically nothing, otherwise, like $75 to get someone to print parts

I printed one and wasn't very impressed

Attached: mep.jpg (1365x1024, 226K)

If you have a printer (or access to one) then not really. Much of the asking price I have for a finished board is how much work goes into building it. It's quite comfortable to be honest, certainly moreso than the ergodox I've been using for years before it.

Attached: IMG_20190823_164257.jpg (2850x1485, 913K)

gateron switches: 20 bucks
shells: depends, 50 bucks I'd say, can be cheaper or more expensive (about 200g of PLA and 24h of printing, if you have a printer)
keycaps: ergodox/ortho blanks 20 bucks
pro micros: 10 bucks at most
soldering/wiring tools: 25 bucks

a little over $100 I'd say if you go the cheapest route possible
less if you already have soldering/wiring tools, a printer etc
yes it's good
my kensington expert feels awkward in the middle, the touchpad feels nice (also for all the gestures and shit)
touchpad scrolling is so nice

I don't have access to a printer, but friend has one. Is it possible to print parts on 18x18mm sized printing surface?
75$-100$ huh, seems a bit expensive, but I live in the Easter Europe, so printing costs / parts may be cheaper.

You should be able to (just) get away with it on a 180mm bed. Here's the 5x7 I use on a 210mm bed.

Attached: Capture.png (913x650, 183K)

Any way to make good and cheap keycaps? I need 200 keycaps and a set of 48 is pretty expensive for my budget

you guys got any recs for these specs?
>something like a cherry brown switch
>80%
>backlit, doesn't need to be RGB
>price below 200 for sure
mostly just want a tkl for my desk when I'm playing a game or something is on my small ass desk, my corsair K70 is a bit too big for it

willing to buy parts and assemble but I dont want to solder anything
I've tried before and all I know is im bad at it

What's the current iteration of lolita?
I broke my spacebar stabs and I want a new board with cherry-style.
Wire shit - never again.

I guess,
>Budget
>Location (continent at least)
Murica
>Preferred switch type
Blue
>Layout
ANSI
>Form factor
TKL
>Backlight
Don't care
>Previous/current keyboards
Coolermaster tkl something with broken stabilizers and lolita tkl with stabilizers that cannot break by design because there isn't a stupid fucking piece of wire hooked into the cap.

So you have a 3rd arm arm bursting out the middle of your chest or do you enjoy destroying your rotator cuff in your shoulder?
The utterly useless shit people spend their time and effort on...
Garbage
Looks like the most unergonomic piece of shit i've ever seen.

I appreciate what a gay fag you are. whats a good design for you?

go to your local thrift store. keyboards are .99 cents. bought one for my dreamcast last week

Have more inalienable rights than you? Yes.

>be american
>get shot

It's okay. You have the right to request a smoke before being shot.

Leopold 750r if you want something prebuilt

magicforce, but I don't think they make TKLs
for that much you can get a Ducky TKL from mechanicalkeyboards.com

Opps

Attached: 3Ik9c3O.png (1024x579, 1.31M)

How the fuck did you manage that m8?

Any mechanical keyboards with super and meta keys?

Basically most of them

You know the super key is just what freetards call the windows key. Meta keys are now called Alt keys

There are a couple of these at work sitting in the recycle pile. Is there any way at all to just outright remove the keyboard from the device? I love how it types.

Attached: IBM typewriter.jpg (1266x598, 57K)

people without technology live in sub third world country usually in the forest or remote area away from civilization as the developed nature of the modern world is a massive threat to their culture they make their living off of subsistence farming and the like

thekey.company/collections/sanctuary-rebirth/products/sanctuary-rebirth-keysets
is this shit ugly or worth it?

Why? Those are just model Ms. The matrix of the membrane sheet is actually worse than the normal model M. But to answer your question, yes, but it's a lot of work so most people just get a model M

Attached: 1531255180634.png (394x549, 522K)

based schizo user

>24h of printing
Im definitely gonna try building a manuform after I learn to use my ergo, but cura was saying 21h just for the left side of a 4x6 manuform
Should I tone down the supports?

ITS HERE FAGGOTS WHY AREN'T YOU TALKING ABOUT THIS.

youtube.com/watch?v=jfz9TgeZ9m0

Attached: king.png (1920x1569, 2.02M)

Mostly because it's shit bruh

Use tree supports, also 0.2mm layer height. Pic related are the settings I use for the tree supports.

Attached: settings.png (380x239, 12K)

heres a weird dumb question. I have my computer hooked up to my tv so i play pc games from a couch. Im guessing I can use a split keyboard for comfort but then also disconnect the right side if Im just playing games. anyone have this type of setup?

Better but still 18h. 0.2mm at 60mm/s

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-21 at 08.41.34.png (3240x1780, 3.03M)

Try getting rid of those wire supports under the switch holes in the clojure code itself, you don't need them. That and the simplified trrs/usb holder I'm using probably shaves a good amount of time off too.

Attached: bottom.png (976x720, 61K)

Ok thanks, I was wondering what they were for.

is there any keyboard that has this layout?
prefer a low profile one.

Attached: keyboard.jpg (970x300, 37K)

That's called a 75% layout, user. There are a ton around.

Opinion on Logitech G613 ?

I came

The switches are cool but I'd rather have a version without the volume slider and the retarded screen. Not to mention a case that is actually good.

Why are all these recent, cool switches coming out on absolutely garbage cases? Floating switch faggots need to die.

Has anyone created a virtual driver for a regular keyboard so that you could use it like Doug Engelbart's chorded keyboard?
Pic related.

Attached: 468122E6-10EC-4AE5-ADF0-269BD747E354.jpg (640x960, 93K)

Keyboard Endgame
Much to my surprise, I actually know what I like in keyboards. Is it the same for you? Could you actually explain what your preferred keyboard consists of?

On the off chance you're interested, here is my preferred build:
MX Cherry Reds
SA full-profile ABS keycaps
Non-floating, heavy, protective case

Attached: 0E11703F-03F6-494A-8660-3E8EE851FA5E.jpg (1388x1250, 756K)

Holy Panda/Zeal V2/kailh jades, hotswap so I can change my mind
MT3 profile
Currently building a dactyl manuform, so let's see how it goes for me and if I'll fully accept the split ergonomic board redpill.

Basically I just want a Model M with the F's switches and a thick metal case instead of a plastic one.

My SSK will do for now but some day I think I'll look into get a metal case made for it. The FSSK already exists at least.

Can't find one with low profile keycaps though

You can just purchase a regular 75% board and swap out the caps for xda or dsa or something flatter.

So I watch the video:
1. The Hall effect keys are only on the main keyboard area, not on the function keys or anything to the right of the ENTER key.
2. It's got one of those lame volume knobs
3. It's got lame software
4. It's got a completely gratuitous little display mounted in the top right corner.
5. It's got OMG levels of light bleed

That said, it still has a few advantages. For one, the main section has those new super key switches which are supposedly one of the best linear is out there ever.

Additionally, I just happen to like Steelseries.

I've signed up for the new Model F that should be shipping any day real soon now. I've never used one, to tell you the truth. My worry is that it's going to be really annoying sounding. I'm used to really deep clicks not little rattly pings.

>Any day real soon
I wonder, honestly. Dyesubs still aren't done and he says that they should start shipping them out by the end of October or something. Which probably means the end of December.

I'm still wondering if I should jump on it myself. I have the money, but ehh

I'm pretty sure you can configure plover to do this

openstenoproject.org/plover/

Yeah, you can do that.

>endgame

>so I can change my mind

Name field, motherfucker. Don't you know how to use it?

>be american
>don't get shot
>get measles and die

most of /mkg/ is from reddit now days

depends, some of the cheaper chinese ones have the controller on the right side for some stupid reason. most of the good ones don't tho, and the high end ones have controllers on both sides

>keyboard-layout-editor.com/
Is this not just another shitty wrapper for qmk config? Or am I missing something?

it is, but it also gives you plates and PCBs if you want to build a custom keyboard

Is it possible to get custom layouts with media keys which aren't actual proper keycaps, but just sort of "buttons", if that makes sense?
I had a quick look around but there was nothing obvious.

>keeb

so you want blank keys?

I heard that 75% layout need some custom keycaps though?

just get a 75% keycap set, there's hundreds on aliexpress. or just get a low profile 75% keyboard with choc switches, but if you do you'll be stuck with whatever keycaps it came with since there isn't a big aftermarket for them.

it's a very flexible layout designer which generates a JSON output that a few other tools take as input

it doesn't, by itself, have anything to do with qmk

for some reason it's difficult for me to find info on how to build some budget keyboard or find one,
what are my choices for pcbs, what are the part lists, what should the final price for an ok keyboard be

what is the appeal of higher force keys?

I have a set of 45gs and after using my friend's keyboard that was 30g I feel like I want to switch

I just don't know what's not to like about a lighter touch and it's much easier to type faster and less strain on fingers

lighter keys can accidentally be actuated just by the weight of your finger resting on the key

What's your opinion on this?

kickstarter.com/projects/keytron/keychron-k4-96-compact-wireless-mechanical-keyboard?

Attached: 2b12badd8a5d784aacbdd5a2da2ca2c2_original.jpg (680x1055, 147K)

This is horrible slander, user.

You are hilarious. No one on earth wants "media buttons". Any keyboard that supports them gets an automatic fail, and not just from me but from others in this thread.

is that really the draw? I've never had a problem with that ever and don't rest my fingers on the keys, I rest my wrists on the wristrest

Let me ask you instead: What attracts you to this keyboard?

>kickstarte
Dont even bother untill release and reviews.

no it isn't, you're wrong and I have proof

Each of us is different. In Thomas's video posted above in this thread, he complains that he gets accidental triggers resting his hands on Cherry MX red switches. For me, that's a mind blower. Apparently he has a heavier touch than me.

I will agree that ergo keyboards and self-made keyboards are very much a part of that particular sub Reddit's posts.
But no one's here to gain karma, and so the discussion must be by definition better here.

the fuck are you talking about?
anyway just use a dictionary next time and you won't make that same mistake agian

>kickstarter
>limited to 4 types of gateron switches
>no qmk
>"mac & windows", so it doesn't run on linux
>can't see anything saying you can program the layout
>nothing actually interesting about the board to differentiate it from others
Garbage.

Optical switches are just placebo right?

It's almost full size and Bluetooth wireless. As their campaign states there's not many keyboards in that segment.
But beyond that there's not much there.

there's no need for debounce shit so they're more reliable, but my membrane keyboard almost 30 years old and still works like new

The main point of optical switches is that they arguably should be nice and smooth without lubrication as their sensing does not depend on mechanical contacts rubbing against one another.

its a cheaper wireless vortex tab 90, for 60 bucks im okay with that

Does anyone here have that 3x3 guide/infographic on Cherry mx switches? Please post it

here's a 1x1 guide:

Avoid cherry.