/pcbg/ - PC Assembly General

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming build skeletons and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to non-technically assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>AAA or multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric games or ray tracing: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - budget performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: 1484348845011.png (1336x1336, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-9-3950x-delay-launch-third-gen-threadripper,40442.html
youtube.com/watch?v=AFv7rRYcEf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/63qWGc
pcpartpicker.com/list/wNGH9G
pcpartpicker.com/list/WPMmPn
pcpartpicker.com/list/JVfkcq
techradar.com/news/amd-ryzen-5-3500-and-3500x-leaks-indicate-powerful-budget-cpus-which-could-make-intel-sweat
outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Previous:

reminder that both the 3950x and threadripper will never actually release

tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-9-3950x-delay-launch-third-gen-threadripper,40442.html

5700xt Pulse or Nitro+???

>Buy used PSU
>Last guy railed it so hard the fucking connectors melted.
Fuck I can't use 2 out of the 4 12V connectors now.

Attached: Kids VS Seagulls.webm (674x450, 2.89M)

This 30 year old turd has better blacks than you $3000 elite gaymer gsync monitor

Attached: 1568994799116.jpg (2446x3065, 1.08M)

Whichever is available.

>buying a USED PSU
you have no one but yourself to blame

Well at least it works.

nitro+

Sorry, I just don't know what I'm doing. So I'll get a ryzen 5 2600 as suggested by user. since apparently would have to get a bios update otherwise. I couldn't find a gtx 1660 for 200$ but I got one for 219$ and it's pretty small too. The SSD I swapped for a Sabrent Rocket but there is a compatability issue at the bottom which concerns me. Something about getting a micro PC feels weird to me so I didn't go with the build that another user gave me.

Attached: Manual build.png (1927x1337, 120K)

I'm sure it does.
Just make sure your other components still work after your PSU commins unavoidable sudoku.

>Sorry, I just don't know what I'm doing.
The better question is what are you trying to do? You need either a budget, a performance target, or both.

I'm scared of the Pulse coil whine.

Attached: 1559619873941.png (540x314, 244K)

Also I'd planning on getting a key for windows so it won't be 100$.
My budget is 1000$ and I'm trying to get 1080p 60hz. I'd rather not get cheap parts so I don't have issues down the line.

Then simply buy a card that isn't known to have coil whine.
IF you still get one with coil whine, you could return it to the original seller and buy another, or contact support and see if they can do anything for you.

Attached: 1537813365068.png (1054x782, 1.12M)

>My budget is 1000$ and I'm trying to get 1080p 60hz.
>60hz
Reconsider.

>I'd rather not get cheap parts
>Zotac GPU
Yeah, gonna have to stop you right there...

>1000$ budget
>1080p 60hz
You could go for 1080p 144hz or erven 1440p 144hz with that budget.
this user has the right idea.
Also, consider spending a little more money on a 144p0p monitor. Those things are pretty nice.

Yeah I only added that because another user told me the 1660 was too expensive at 230$.
Thank you anons, I'll watch the video and tweak the build. But I'd rather not go 1440 just yet.

Your main problem is your budget and target don't match. If you have a budget of $1000 there's no reason at all to target something as low as 1080p 60hz. Either reduce your budget or do yourself a favor and target a better resolution/refresh rate. You don't have to move up to 1440p, but if you're going to stick with 1080p, 60hz is just a joke.

So far is there any reported coilwhine with the Nitro+?

Crucial P1 or WD Blue SN500 for an M.2? From what I've read both are basically the same

I'm sorry, I'm just new to this and I got a high budget because I really did not want to go through nightmare scenarios like some shitty cheap motherboard not working properly a few years down the line. I already have a 1080p monitor so I guess I'll just reduce the price as much as i can.

what 5700/xt should i get i have been waiting to get the panda one from yeston but they still haven't even given a release date and im getting fed up of dealing with my r9 290

Attached: 72175969_p0.jpg (1074x1521, 1.51M)

If I used a 2070S instead of a 2060S in the example "1440p/Mid Range" build in the OP, would that be enough for 100+ fps at high/ultra settings for competitive games and 60fps at high/ultra for everything else?

Personally I still the MX500 is the better buy. You just won't get any real benefit out of those cheapass faux NVME drives.

You can build for 1080p 144hz or 1440p now and upgrade your monitor sometime in the future.

I'll just build for 144hz now and get a different monitor that supports it. After watching that video the user posted in the previous thread, that fat asshole just kept marking up the price by telling me to add a 2060super for like 400$ and a ryzen 5 3600. I got the ryzen but I thought the 1660 Ti was good enough for 1080p.

Attached: Manual build.png (1133x1194, 95K)

Lets see a gradient from black to white to demonstrate.

Nvidia vs AMD.

Looking at a 5700XT or a 2070, to drive Oculus Rift (non S), and a 4k TV for non-VR gaming, though happy to play at 1080p for that.

While I can check performance, what other features do each have? I mean things like recording/streaming, GPGPU, etc.

Everyone wants the Nitro. The wait could easily extend into next year.

pcpartpicker.com/list/63qWGc

Bros...

I bought this build and couldn't get it to post after putting everything together. I spent a few hours troubleshooting but it just wouldn't work. I ended up returning everything back to the store. Kinda new to PC building so I'm not sure if I bought something that isn't compatible with each other.
I still want to build a new PC cause mine is about 8 years old now. Is building an intel based system better for a brainlet like me or what should I do?

I just want a new PC bros...

Attached: ro7tsjw1qjn31.png (300x269, 146K)

Probably have to flash the motherboard BIOS

It's because you bought an "eSports" cooler.

But other than that, you probably bought a B450 that wasn't 3000-ready out of the box. You have to flash the BIOS for it to work with Ryzen 3000.

It had a little sticker that said ryzen 3000 ready. So I thought I would be ok without doing that.
Do you still have flash the bios when it has that sticker?

Yes

If that's the case, it might have been something really stupid that was causing it not to boot. Honestly you should have asked in /sqt/ for some help before returning it all.

5700XT or save money and go with Polaris and see what comes next year?

What's the performance difference between the Neo C and the Neo 32 G 3600 MHZ? Is there any other kit I should consider?

From what I heard, the drivers for the 5700/XT's are (still) wonky.

Some say to hold out, but history says AMD's always going to have problems with them.

There should be some debug lights near the top right of the motherboard: CPU, DRAM, VGA, BOOT.

Are any of those lit up?

I already returned all the parts cause I wasn't sure what was wrong but when I was trying the troubleshoot the debug light for DRAM , VGA , BOOT would take turns lighting up every power cycle. I took out 1 stick of ram and that one stopped coming and then BOOT would always stay on no matter what I did.

9900k for 450 on google shop by bestbuy. Am I doing it? intelboiz4lyfe.

Looking to start planning a new build.
If I'm looking to go for a smaller form factor. Should I just go ahead and build mITX instead of mATX?

Up to you, was 460 on amazon a few months ago iirc, might be a price drop when the 9900ks drops in october supposedly.

build around a specific case. sff is all about choosing a case that appeals to you. otherwise just go atx and don't worry about room.

Just wait for 10700k. It will be same thing for $100 less

That was fast.

Could try something like this.
pcpartpicker.com/list/wNGH9G

>400€ for 5700 red dragon
Goddammit EU, if it was no higher than 350 I'd consider it.
Will just have to keep squeezing every drop out of my 580.

>waitfagging over 50 bucks
Yuropoors everyone

Why didn't you just take the chance and flash the bios before you sent everything back?

>50 euro=50 bucks
burger education everyone

>being upset over american dialect on american website
Yuropoors everyone

your monopoly money means nothing to me, yuropoo

Is the trident z neo worth it guys? 372 Yuros. Does anyone have any benchmarks with this kit?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 23.41.32.png (2012x1244, 533K)

Other than this error from the power supply you're a magician. Thank you user, will use this

Attached: Manual build.png (1121x77, 11K)

Depends on what you're comparing it against and how much single digit performance gains are worth to you.

trident z neo is about as good as you can do for zen 2. there's not really anything that's clearly both cheaper and better performing. looks a bit gay but, well. 2019.

My PC works fine and I'm not pushing anything to its limit, but I do want to get a new monitor since I've just been using an old TV. I still have a DDR3 system and an r9 290 from some poor lad's failed cybercafe. Is there any real need to go beyond 120hz 1080?

If I'm comparing it to the Neo C which is 252 euros instead.

Hey guys help a massive retard out, i wanted to build a mid range pc because my laptop decided to implode so i went to a local store and they recommended me this pcpartpicker.com/list/WPMmPn
Problem is i have no fucking clue what im doing because my knowledge of this shit is very superficial and i dont know anyone irl that knows either, you are my only hope in not fucking up

Its not an error, its fine.

Don't get a mechanical drive.

hang around here user I'll help you with your build just let me get off the phone

whats the weakest gpu to pair 9700k with?

Youtube how to build a pc, there are tons of videos.

Are a 3600 and 5700 sufficient for ultra 1080p/144hz? Prices are insane here and I can’t really afford an XT.

Yes

ok user here you go, here's a roughly $1k build based on this excellent tech deals video

pcpartpicker.com/list/JVfkcq

get windows from a gray market key reseller for $10, another user can hopefully link you a good one if you reply again

it'll do ok. you won't hit ultra 144fps on all games, that's too hard of a target to hit. but you will be happy with that build.

Only dogshit ports cant run at 144hz 1080p on a 5700

I have an old Socket 370 motherboard, what is the best non-Intel CPU i can get for it?

yea but the truth is there's a surprising number of games that run HORRIBLE
like borderlands 3

ok that seems nice enough, i just want to make sure i dont fuck some of the parts maybe ill check yt to give myself more of an idea, thanks

would /pcbg/ buy a used GPU from eBay? I'm seeing GTX1080Ti's for as cheap as $450 on eBay.

>buying other men's sloppy seconds

that's why I'm wary. For all I know the guy purposely ran it overvolted to hell for fun. Now that I'm looking, it seems that the 2070 Super performs on par with the 1080Ti anyways.

I would consider it, but ultimately I've never actually bought a used gpu and I always just end up going "ugh I'll pay a premium just to not worry about it and be covered"

which makes more sense with a 1660ti for gayming:

9400f or 3600

(9400f is great value, but 3600 is more futureproof right? or will 9400f be enough to outlast my 1660ti?)

to stockpile cheap ddr4 or not, that is the question
but...
>soon ddr5 and pcie5
>questionable to buy amd cpu because unstable, and gpu even more so
>intel is full of bugs and only pcie3 and will soon left behind

why does one always have to just wait

The GPU is more likely to have been used to it's limit by a bitcoin miner.

This is a very good list user, although subjectively I don't like the Fractal. Personally I'd go with a NZXT H510 since I think their cases look nice and are easier to build in.

Everything else is what most of us would recommend.

Because technology constantly gets upgraded, no matter when you buy you'll be left in the dust so stop waiting and get your PC today. Right now.

would /pcbg/ buy a GPU that another man coomed inside?

>wait for 3950x
>wait for small navi
>wait for 1660 super
>wait for incel 10th gen
>wait for big navi
>wait for 2080 ti super
>wait for threadripper
>wait for 1080p 240hz ips
>wait for good pcie4 ssds
>wait for incel gpus
>wait for nvidia 3000
>wait for rdna2
>wait for 1440p 240hz ips4
>wait for pico navi
>wait for ddr5
>wait for zen 3
>wait for dedicated rtx aic
>wait for 14nm+++++++++++
>wait for enormous navi
>wait for usb 4
>wait for pcie5
>wait for mainstream 3d xpoint
>wait for windows core OS
>wait for zen 4
>wait for good cases

Attached: 1568851655895.jpg (1055x962, 162K)

You need to simply ask yourself. Do you NEED a new PC right NOW? If not, then just wait. If you're in dire need, then stop waiting, and just buy what you can afford/that fits your use case. As it stands now, even a heavily clocked 2080Ti barely saturates PCIe 3.0 x8 let alone x16.

I have had bad experiences with used gpus so no more used gpus.

3600 has more upgrade paths to 16/32 and what not
9400f is already questionable with 6 threads only...

BUT... you have to agree that there are better and worse times to buy...
if i wasnt such a poorfag id have less worries

the 3500 and 3500x are releasing which more directly compete with the 9400f, the 3600 is a better buy though

oh really not heard of that, when do you think the 3500 will drop?

The only time that ever comes into play is with prices like cheaper ram and memory. Literally any kind of waiting for performance is unnecessary unless we're looking at something civilization changing like Quantum computers becoming available to consumers.

>buy anyway
>wait for stock
>wait for it to ship
>wait for it to arrive

Attached: 1548672360210.jpg (355x369, 83K)

I think the release date is not known, I guess october? small navi is coming october I believe, but I can't keep it all straight. also my head is spinning from threadripper getting pushed to november.

techradar.com/news/amd-ryzen-5-3500-and-3500x-leaks-indicate-powerful-budget-cpus-which-could-make-intel-sweat

So say I'm looking to build NOW, not 3 months from now. Would a 2nd gen Threadripper build be good? I need the cores/threads for rendering, encoding, and VM use. I also need the 64 PCIe lanes.

interesting, no threading...

thats a tough choice then, will wait for gayming benchmarks

I have a 520W (Platinum) PSU and I'm looking to get a 5700 XT. Is what I have enough, or do I need a higher watt PSU? I don't plan on overclocking at all.

I would say the 3600 is just the buy 2bh. the 3600 is the best processor released in the last year in my opinion, it's such good value.

Post your entire build. No one knows what else you may have. Usually that's enough for most builds.

what is your cpu? that's almost certainly enough, especially since it's a platinum psu.

outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

you can use this to estimate