FreeBSD desktop users. Tell me about your experience

FreeBSD desktop users. Tell me about your experience.
What is using FreeBSD as a daily/workstation desktop like?
When did you start using FreeBSD?
What problems have you encountered? How did you solve them?
What do you like the most about FreeBSD and why?
What is your set up like?

Attached: FE021734-151F-4911-A931-FDCED3E91CC1.png (578x295, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Used it long ago, for a year or so in 2013 if I'm not wrong. I first tried it in a VM and found it amusing that even when running a full desktop it was faster than its Linux host, so I swapped them around. Rock solid once configured. The thing I like most about it is ZFS, but I didn't use it back then because I didn't have enough RAM. Nowadays I have an use for it in servers, particularly as FreeNAS and pfSense. I tried to make it work in a new HP laptop a month ago or so but it didn't like my radio, I needed the WiFi, and I couldn't afford the time to set it up.
I'm overdue for a reinstall of my main desktop, a frankendebian (mint > lmde > debian forced with aptitude through the years), I might give it another go.
The main pros in general are ZFS in general, better stability, CoC and security than Linux, and better performance and hardware support than OpenBSD. The cons are mostly complementary.

It feels amazing

>security than Linux
Is this really true? I always assumed they were about equal.

freebsd is cancer.
>better security than Linux
you're intellectually retarded.
he's a lying cunt. ignore that faggot user.

Based

>Tell me about your experience.
I installed it. I don't have to think about it.

Imagine being this desperate for attention lmao

Started using it recently.
feels like I'm running debian, but with a ton less bloat, better man pages, and less proprietary software supported (the only one I care about is discord, didn't manage to make it work).
Overall, it's good. i like it.

Slow. Bad performance (unoptimised code) and lethargic package manager (that doesn't supprt wildcards). Software support is trash too, try getting vscodium up and running.
BSDs are memes used only for their licenses. GNU/Linux are objectively better programmed.

Go dilate elsewhere

FreeBSD is pozzed AF. If you must use a BSD choose another, such as OpenBSD.

Seriously though, what makes BSD's "more secure than Linux" other than it being a smaller target?
Just because there's been less vulnerabilities discovered doesn't mean there's less to *be* discovered...

as pozzed as linux

also pic related

Attached: Satania Install Gentoo.jpg (640x360, 105K)

freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html

it's cute and tidy.

Attached: 1567933521811.jpg (2463x3500, 744K)

>Tell me about your experience.
I bought the appropriate hardware and it just works.
>What is using FreeBSD as a daily desktop like?
Like a common Linux desktop for the most part. Yeah there are significant differences under the hood, but you don't notice day to day.
>When did you start using FreeBSD?
I gave it a whirl for a homelab project in the mid 00's and decided it was pretty elegant and awesome compared to what Linux was evolving toward. Granted, BSD is being tugged that same way due to Linux being a juggernaut, but its still comparatively sane over on this side.
>What problems have you encountered?
None really. See the first answer. I specifically bought hardware that was going to cause no issues. Other than hardware, I can't think of much that BSD struggles with. It's quite good at the basics.
>What do you like the most about FreeBSD and why?
The premier network stack and ports. Both are quite lovely.
>What is your setup like.
Terminals and tiling all the way down.

FreeBSD is objectively garbage. Linux has much better driver support

>linux
>drivers
k.e.k

>AutismBSD
smaller target is a fair measure, it has way less lines of code.
Alpine Linux comes close.
Popularity/obscurity is not a fair measure

Well that's more what I meant, I guess, that it's more obscure.

It's useless.
>Better CoC
The best CoC is no CoC

Not an argument.

Just use the web version of discord

based

oh shit

Attached: freebsd-coc.png (967x238, 50K)

>If you must use a BSD choose another,
Why would I run NetBSD when I could be running Slackware?

>What is using FreeBSD as a daily/workstation desktop like?
Decent. Way better than GNU/Linux or Windows, for what I do, which is programming and system administration.
>When did you start using FreeBSD?
Sometime after I had to drop out of college, so a little less than half a decade ago. I wanted to learn an OS other than Windows, and I wanted to learn C, since I already knew how to program in Java at the time. I tried GNU/Linux but many distros back then had poor official documentation for total newbs. But the FreeBSD Handbook was great, so I switched to FreeBSD. It's how I learnt Unix.
I can only use GNU/Linux today because I learnt the BSDs first. If I had to start with GNU/Linux, I'd likely have quit. Back then, so many GNU/Linux distros didn't come with cc by default. Debian still doesn't come with build-essentials preinstalled.
>What problems have you encountered? How did you solve them?
For a while, both the Chromium and Firefox packages were utterly broken, since many FreeBSD devs don't use FreeBSD. I was able to fix them with some research. Now the packages both work.
I broke my audio while trying to set up a USB microphone, and haven't fixed it yet.
Otherwise no problems.
>What do you like the most about FreeBSD and why?
Comes with all the tools you need to program, in the default install. Packages don't have separate -dev subpackages: those are always included.
>What is your set up like?
Just a desktop. Unfortunately have an Nvidia video card, but it works. Handles my 1440p monitor just fine. I use Lumina as my DE.
>Yeah there are significant differences under the hood, but you don't notice day to day
I notice. BSD userlands are way better than the GNU userland. Perhaps I notice because I do a lot of shell scripting.