/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Don't dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previously:

Attached: 1507620140268.jpg (639x477, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg/Keyboard_configuration#Setting_keyboard_layout
tracker.debian.org/pkg/firefox
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Stallman is a pedo. GNU is pedoware.

install gentoo

back to tranny

So, I accidentally overwrote a file on my work laptop I need and word didn't save ANY backups of course.

Any possible chance that test disk could save me when I get home assuming I can boot from a Linux USB?

Attached: 1568485949422.png (597x847, 351K)

1) Does bash check your stdin command against some list of installed programs in a config file somewhere?
2) Does that config file get updated automatically as you install packages through your package manager?
3) And do installed programs get a new entry to the config (or whatever it's called) for manuals available to man?
4) So in-the-box bash should be able to figure out at least what apt or pacman and man are doing?

5) What's the point of installing and ricing arch? I installed xubuntu and it just works everything's good... As far as writing code, trying new tools, dev work, etc. there's not really a big difference other than cosmetics, or am I wrong? Seems like a pain in the ass to navigate your computer using the minimalistic setups you see in desktop threads...

Attached: 1478666729598.jpg (1058x1300, 311K)

To clarify, I am more asking if Ntfs overwrites the sector when you overwrite a file or if it copies the file to a new sector and then marks the data for deletion

Fuck off pedo poster.

yes yes yes yes fun

>1)
>stdin command
the fuck is this even
>2) Does that config file get updated automatically as you install packages through your package manager?
I assume /etc? if you didn't alter the config file the new installation of said package will automatically upgrade the config file as well, otherwise the new config file will get renamed to something like .dpkg-new (for debian-based)
>3) And do installed programs get a new entry to the config (or whatever it's called) for manuals available to man?
I don't get what you're asking, man pages are just documentations it doesn't affect program behavior
>4) So in-the-box bash should be able to figure out at least what apt or pacman and man are doing?
again I don't get it, bash is just a shell, an environment where you run commands that are available in $PATH
>5)
the truth is you can do everything on linux without GUI, so if you're into that shit you should try DIY distro like arch, gentoo, etc
seriously if you only use GUI on linux, you're missing out everything

Not sure if part of the smear campaign or just trolls, but anyway: you're wrong and if you want to discuss this shit, create a thread about it and don't shit up this one.

GNU/Linux*

.bash_history in your home folder is a history of everything you entered into bash
apt/dpkg manages it's own list of installed packages - it tracks what packages own which files itself and you don't need to worry about it beyond "apt search x"
bash reads from "environment variables" one of which is $PATH which typically points to your directory containing the system/user binaries, when you enter an alias into bash to looks at the $PATH variable for executable binaries that you may mean - but you can define custom stuff via "alias" in your bashrc(?)
As an arch i3 user, I do not reach for mouse outside of three specific websites and those do not even include Jow Forums. My hands never really leave home row as keybindings can control literately everything on a linux workstation. I could be wrong with bash as I myself use dash due to arch autism.

Oh and I forgot, use "env" to print/change your environment variables for this "session" which is the active terminal you have open.

Since there's no /hsg/ up, I might as well ask here: do you think a rock64 can run a full desktop environment like KDE? If not, would a RockPro cut it?

Use xfce or lxde if that's too much. But really use i3.

Yeah but could it handle it

Xfce is the heaviest by far, it's barely anything more than hyperthin gtk bindings with a couple pieces of flash that *may* cause issue.
LXDE will run on i686 classes with 1mb frame buffers just fine.
i3 is most efficient tho.

>start laptop, log in
>keyboard layout is correct
>startx
>keyboard layout in incorrect
help pls???

my gnome terminal freaks out when i want to edit something at the start of my long command and I cant edit it without writing it all over again
im on ubuntu
help pls

what does freak out mean?

when i click HOME it goes to middle of the line instead of start
also pic, when i want to edit something on end

Attached: 5645646.png (811x21, 10K)

Is it bad if I never use sudo apt upgrade and always just use sudo apt dist-upgrade? I know that dist gets rid of stuff it seems unnecessary but could it ever ruin your computer? Is running the former ever really necessary?

can I deamonize Konsole like I can with urxvt? If so, how?

Attached: 1544462615504.jpg (640x448, 68K)

does ctrl + a bring you to the start of the line?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg/Keyboard_configuration#Setting_keyboard_layout

Is there a dupe checker that creates some sort of database of everything it checks and that i can then reference it later?
I'm talking like 12tb of data.
I want to point it to the root mount point and let it do its work recursivly
The few i've tried dont seem to be made for this level of checking and time out or just become unresponsive.
Ideally maybe a sqlite or sql database of all the names/hashes etc for future checking use

nope, but it turns out that when i use left arrow instead of HOME it works fine
thought that my PS1 configuration is buggy and i've pasted random conf from internet to check it, but with changed conf it still happens

How do you actually learn to rice GNU/Linux?
I can never find a proper guide. Am using KDE.

this is a pedo board and a pedo site
gtfo

cringe
based

And you're a fucking idiot.

KDE comes pre-riced. Try i3 or xfce so you can rice yourself.

What do you mean "pre-riced"?
Doesn't ricing just mean customizing your system's looks (heavily) to how you like it?

I updated Debian to testing but I still have "Firefox ESR" and nothing else. Would it be best to install Firefox normally from their website? I don't see a regular Firefox on the package manager.

install arch

KDE is just clicking around in the menus in system settings. Ask yourself what you would like KDE to look like or how you want it to behave then use your favourite search engine to find out how to achieve that goal.

Stuff like i3 is mostly reading documentation, googling and trial-and-error. There is an i3 guide on YouTube that should get you started, though.

tracker.debian.org/pkg/firefox
It looks like it's only available on unstable(sid)

Anyone know of any kind of "Alt-tab" overview for openbox? Can't find anything after a quick search, just "install le tint2" ""guides""

really? damn thats fucking crazy. i mean i thought testing would basically be pretty up to date

and a general question about using debian unstable: if i update, and then wait a few days to upgrade, will that basically guarantee i wont have many problems?

no, it'll be the same as if you had upgraded on the same day as you updated

lxqt or mate would be better

I'm using the current portable version of ungoogled-chromium on Fedora, and after a few minutes of the browser being open, It'll give me a 'failed to update' notification... I've never had this happen on any other distro with it before, what gives?

Are you saying that when you upgrade, it automatically updates, too? I would have thought it only upgraded from the last time you updated

>What's the point of installing arch?
simple to use, sane package management system, rolling release, up to date, AUR, wiki articles 100% relevant to your system, etc
>What's the point of ricing arch?
ricing is a very broad term and isn't something that's specific to Arch (changing the wallpaper is technically "ricing")
I suppose one of the reasons you see lots of simple WM based setups on Arch is because it doesn't come with a default DE
you can achieve the same on any distro, it's just more straightforward on "bare-bones" distros like Arch, Gentoo or Debian
>there's not really a big difference other than cosmetics
there can be huge differences is workflow as well
>Seems like a pain in the ass to navigate your computer using the minimalistic setups you see in desktop threads
it's quite the opposite actually

Post PS1

I fucked up my grub and I'm just in a menu where I can give it commands directly, does anyone know how I can rescue my system from this?

just type exit

thanks user

>install arch
>install entire bloated horrific GNOME that upgraded yesterday just to see if it breaks something
>some bugs in things I don't care about or use, but nadda on my machine
Feels good man. Time to nuke it from low orbit and go back to EXWM.

Ah, I thought it worked but it had just gone to the liveUSB I was trying to recover from..
So is there a way to manually boot from grub? I think I just fucked up the config file or something..

1) No. bash looks for the command you entered in the directories specified by you PATH environment variable. (Usually /usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin. May differ bbased on distro and wheter you have changed it in your .bashrc)
2) there is no file
3) man searches for manuals in /usr/share/man and /usr/local/share/man (possibly also ~/.local/share/man, but I'm not sure. Try checking man man
4) bash doesn't know what a program does. It just takes your input, searches for the first word of it in PATH, executes that and passes the whole command onto that program (so that program can then do things like parsing --options)
5) the main appeal of arch is the Arch Build System, thay easily lets you create packages you can install with pavman from source. How the desktop looks has nothing to do with what distro you are using.

is cinnamon considered a resource-heavy DE?

kinda confused, what page are you on? when you type "exit" does it not give you the option to select something to boot?

ive found its performance to be comparable to xfce, but your milage may vary

is there a command-line program to download from whatever file hosting sites such as dropbox, mega, google drive and so on?

>What's the point of installing and ricing arch?
There is no point to ricing. The point of Arch is to make a dev/maintainer's life easier and provide users with a relatively naked upstream distro that has a sane-ish package manager.
>minimalism desktop threads
Totally orthogonal to Arch itself. I've run it for years without ricing. For me it's all about enjoying my upstream stuff and not fretting about big dist upgrades. Fedora and Ubuntu are both nice, don't get me wrong, but when they're going up a version number, look out. They're going to break a lot harder than your average Arch box does.

Does Fedora let you choose a DE on install, or does it force you to have gnome first? I tried looking at some install videos and I didnt see DE options, but I find it impossible to believe they would force a DE on you from the start if they had multiple options...

They have inferior "spins," for different DEs and a netinstall that lets you choose between the few they support or just install a base system. Their repos do have a quite a few DE/WM options off the main few though. I ran fedora with fluxbox for ages until I left for Arch (which I now ironically run with gnome).

What's a good resource to read in order to learn how to secure GNU/Linux?

Is there some kind of resource for debian users to get repositories or applications compiled from source code? Im surprised I cant really find anything on this since its a very popular distro. but it seems like for a lot of stuff that offers a launchpad PPA there often isnt a debian equivalent and you have to build it yourself

Attached: 500px-Debian-OpenLogo.svg.png (500x661, 33K)

>install void linux
>musl with no glibc (no chroot workaround)
>wayland with no xorg (or compatability layer)
How many packages can I expect to work?

as many as you can install
according to statistics (xbps-query) there are 11041 packages in the main musl repo and 11250 in the glibc one

That's closer than I thought between musl/glibc but only a small fraction will run without xorg or the xwayland compatability layer

build instructions are usually found in the READMEs
you may wish to consider switching to a distro with fresher repos and a saner package management system though

Should I bother learning zsh?

no

Captain's log: overlay does not work on nfs
>$ touch butt
>touch: cannot touch 'butt': Operation not supported

boot liveusb, download boot-repair

what is the IQ required to install Gentoo?

average should be enough

I've installed Devuan.
Now what?

Nod and smile.
It will go away.

>saner package management
Jow Forums-tier brainlet strikes again!

your apt/dpkg/deb shit is trash
it's the reason 3rd party repos are not a thing on debian
packaging software on debian is a pain in the ass
creating and distributing a new deb file for every new pkg version is far from sane

>packaging software on debian is a pain in the ass
For you and me, not for sane people that doesn't shitpost on Jow Forums like us.

for you, me and everyone else
build script based package management system is a lot saner
you write a PKGBUILD or an ebuild once, put it up in your user repo and mostly ever just increment version numbers
much more maintainable and easier to distribute as well
not to mention, much more secure
anyone can easily read a simple build script, while who knows what kinda shit some binary in a deb package from a 3rd party might contain

Is there a way of opening a xterm without a scrollbar (when you've set xterm*scrollBar:true in .Xdefaults)?

man xterm
should have your answer

i've installed fedora, but i like arch better, if i opt to install arch now, can i carry over my /home to arch? what about other partitions?

Yes, if you have separate root and home partitions.

you can keep anything you want, you don't even need to format partitions
just boot the arch iso, remove system dirs like /boot /usr /etc /var, etc, keep what you need and install arch there

megatools for mega, for the others idk, i just made some shellscripts to deal with them

god I hate Richard Stallman so fucking much.

and for random one-click-hosters, there is plowshare

This isn't twitter. Go away.

GNU/Linux is pedoware

Arch wiki and (yes) reddit.

The options are pretty extensive. You can get rid of titlebars, change themes, colours, and fonts; move the status bar anywhere, change its contents, have it autohide, etc.

...But to give you the tl;dr, 90% of ricing consists of transparent terminals running ncurses programs with maybe pywal providing colours.

How about we create a /botnet/ thread to discuss how to avoid the botnets for daily basis privacy?

Is Debian truly the best distribution?
I think it is.

Attached: 1566884852406.png (819x827, 40K)

I'm new so bare with me.
I installed arch few weeks ago and have been configuring it ever since. Overall good experience and way to learn new stuff. Recently I bought docking station for my thinkpad t440s. The problems I have are:

1. Audio when starts playing ex. song is muted or very bad quality for few first seconds, later is fine.

2. I have a 2560x1080 monitor connected via HDMI into the docking station, normally works fine, but after an hour or so, "artefacts" start to show up, they kind of "intensify" or are more dense (if that makes sense). After that screen goes dark, audio stops playing and it lasts like a 1 or 2s. Then screen restarts and it is fine.

How can I troubleshoot the audio and screen?

You should always read what happens to all the packages on a dist-upgrade or run dist-upgrade with "-s" to see what it looks like in a simulation. Apt is easy to use but also easy to fuck things up. Reading is your friend. If you install apt-listchanges and apt-listbugs it's even more safe because you'll be warned if there's any critical bug in the programs you're about to upgrade.

If you need new shit, absolutely not
If you don't want a break to ever happen or the closest to that, yes, it's pretty good.

I have a group with several of users and they share a directory owned by the group

Question:
How do I make it so only the file creator has the permissions to delete their own files.

Should I libreboot my T60?

Attached: bigthink.png (800x600, 259K)

Why not, the worst that could happen is you learn something.

Hello hello
I'm a newb who got really good advice here a week ago, but I need a bit more help.
I've got a second internal Hard disk, and installed Xubuntu there, while leaving the old HD with windows 7 as it is (the ubuntu installation didn't acknowledge the presence of windows tho).
Point is, how do I set up a "choose your OS" option during boot (which I think is setting up grub, right)?
Bonus question: what do I use for Xubutu as a virtual CD mount to play .iso files?

Attached: 0chUlJW.gif (1000x1000, 3.66M)

Ubuntu MATE LTS or 19.04?

Always use LTS. Always.