I'm about to switch back to linux at work, I used Fedora previously (still do at home)...

I'm about to switch back to linux at work, I used Fedora previously (still do at home), but at work I will have to switch to a deb based distro.
So it all boils down to Ubuntu Mate vs Linux Mint.
I'd rather have pure Ubuntu, but the Mate spin is so fucking ugly wiht it's green palette, and I know I won't have the time to tinker with the appearance long enough to make that awful green go away.
As for Mint, I can go for either Mate or Cinnamon, but I always found it a little dubious, as it is a distro mounted on top of Ubuntu.

Which one do you prefer?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntu-mate.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ubuntu mate?

Xubuntu > Mint Xfce > Mint Cinnamon > Lubuntu > Kubuntu > Ubuntu

ubuntu-mate.org/

I don't like xfce, I don't like docks, and xfce is too simplistic for me.
But it's just my opinion, of course, I know that a lot of people love xfce.
Now, Cinnamon gets a lot of love from, I'm currently running Fedora Cinnamon on my personal laptop.

Then go for Mint Cinnamon

This but put Xubuntu after Mint Cinnamon and completely remove Lubuntu and Ubuntu.

I guess you're right, I suppose I was just hoping that someone would tell me that there was some very quick and easy way to get rid of the green in Ubuntu Mate.
But at the same time, I'm used to cinnamon's default applications.

Cinnamon has themes.
You can change colors without having do install any add-on.
I tried Xfce and it sucks.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-20 23-04-44.png (800x625, 16K)

just install debian and be done with it.

Pop OS is Ubuntu configured properly out of the box

>and I know I won't have the time to tinker with the appearance long enough to make that awful green go away.
...it takes like, all of 2 minutes to change the theme.

sudo apt install meme-theme-gtk3 meme-icon-pack

Then, just go into Settings>Theme, and it's all right there to click on and change in a handful of seconds. Hell, if you're just adverse to the green, you don't even need to install anything, I'm pretty sure Mint has additional themes and icons built-in that are the exact same theme, just with different colors.

wow they don’t have enough cash to get you a mac
lol switch jobs bitch nigga

>I tried Xfce and it sucks.
What makes you say that? I've always viewed Cinnamon and XFCE as being remarkably similar, all things considered. They both present a very traditional, WinXP desktop and I'm hard pressed to find any real major functional differences between the two.

Cinnamon is easy, I know. But Mate isn't.

I tried a few themes and failed miserably, none shows up in the themes dialog. I've read somewhere that they have to compatible with god-knows-what, and I just don't have the patience for that.

I'll be trading up from a stinky macbook pro 15'' 2019 to a T490. The macbook was the worst fucking piece of shit I've ever worked with.

>tried Xfce and it sucks.
it's literally Cinnamon with a much better panel but slightly worse settings and theming.

>tried a few themes and failed miserably, none shows up in the themes dialog
You just have to extract the 7z file containing the theme into your .themes folder in your home folder. Even I can do it and I'm retarded.

Dude, I'm telling you, I've done that with a few themes and they didn't show up for selection in the Themes dialog.
You were able to do it? Good for you, I wasn't. I used Mint with Mate in my personal laptop from 2010 to 2017 and still had the same struggle, I would download themes, unzip them to the correct folder, and they simply wouldn't show up.

>I've read somewhere that they have to compatible with god-knows-what
Sorry, I'm retarded. I thought you were talking about Cinnamon in that line in the OP. That's what I get for hopping on Jow Forums after just waking up and not reading thoroughly.

I looked up what you were talking about, and it does seem like you are right. From what I can gather, it does seem like MATE is a little finnicky with themes. For what it's worth, if you installed Mint w/ Cinnamon, I don't think you'd have any issues with themes, and you'd probably even be content with the default themes/icons it ships with.

Deepin

>but I always found it a little dubious, as it is a distro mounted on top of Ubuntu.
dubious, why? nothing wrong with mounting a distro on top of another, thats what ubuntu did with debian

It's just another potential breaking point, I guess. And it's not really like Ubuntu and Debian, Ubuntu does not use Debian's repos.

>screen tearing the desktop
>mint
>mint
>abandonware desktop
>K-applications are trash
Vanilla Ubuntu is acceptable but hideous, but at-least it's not as ugly as stock gnome, fuck.

>screen tearing the desktop
This has long since ceased being an issue with XFCE. Update your memes.

maybe in the newest release of XCFE, but current Xubuntu does not use the newest release. Current Xubuntu still has BAD screen tearing

does anyone have any tips for installing linux mint that DONT involve having to use "nomodeset" and update the kernel? i want to use it legit with the kernel it uses normally, and was wondering if this was possible. normally when i try to install it just gives me a total black screen