Why they keep doing this!

Provides literally nothing compared to other languages whether it's C, C++, Java, Python...
-uses third party libraries (BLAS, LAPACK, OpenMP)
-can't compete with C/C++ or even Python
-can't plot
-no decent ide
and yet for some reasons every University push/force there students to use this trash.

Attached: curso-de-fortran.png (480x270, 37K)

What the fuck uni do you go to where you have to learn Fortran?

Your fault for going into a boomer field like Physics

>BLAS, LAPACK
Blas and Lapack are written in Fortran through.
Neck yourself zoomer.

believe it or not, most universities teach there students to use it.

>Dat file name
Sopa de macaca UMA

I've never heard of this before

Well.... you can use as a pseudolanguage

Most universities don't. Fortran is only used in Science departments because they have decades worth of legacy code in it. Anything newer uses C++ or maybe Julia if they are hipsters.

Doesn't change the fact that there is no built in lin-alg tools, especially for a language that claims to be made for scientists, this shit language is trash

It was used because it was, and often still is, the fastest for this type of work. When your programs might take months to finish, the smallest optimisations take priority over conveniences.

Most science department push their students to use it.

Your stupid zoomer shit like python also has to use libraries.

Numpy and the other science packages are just nice wrappers around netlib and other Fortran and C libraries. No one rewrites these algorithms anyway because they involve lots of nasty numerical methods and are too hard to get correct.

Only few scientists can program a task that take months (meteorology, molecular science, ....) but the majority of scientists program small simulations that can take an hour or maximum a week, a task that C/C++, python and Matlab can accomplish faster with no problem at all.
The problem is Uni teachs you to use only Fortran instead of C/C++ Python or Matlab/Octave.

All of the science students at my school learned Python and R. I don't know any class here that uses Fortran.

The question is this fucking language provides nothing compared to other languages you absolute retard, you can't even stay in the subject, what an imbecile.

spic college pushes this in math, it was a lang used for science labs.
it isn't as slow as python and looks like it has good syntax for its purpose

>column major
>good

Attached: 1564776335100.jpg (850x1201, 164K)

It's OK for anything numerically heavy but honestly you can just write the code faster in python and use libraries written in C/Fortran for speed. Seems to be mostly legacy code nowadays.

i have a soft spot for fortran. i use ada for most work these days but fortran has a unique character that makes finishing a project with it extra satisfying.

>leaves Fortran
>for Ada
What field are you in that restricts you to only the worst shitlangs possible?

>Fortran
>and yet for some reasons every University push/force there students to use this trash.
What?
Which unis are you talking about?

Fortran is for engineers who can't be bothered with good programming. They just need to be able to tell the computer what to calculate and where to read and write data.

>it isn't as slow as python
Why are you even making this comparison? Fortran competes with C code and often beats it for the tasks that Fortran was designed for.

It's also used in banking software because >much legacy code

nigger op doesn't understand the UNIX philosophy of having separate programs sparring together instead of monolithic bullshit

No senpai, it's just you uwu :3

FORTRAN ROCKS.
OP IS JUST JELLY BECAUSE THIS ILD BOOMER LANGUAGE GETS MORE PUSSY THAN HIM.
ALSO GOTO ROCKS.
AND EVERY LANGUAGE SHOULD DEFINE VARIABLES BY THEIR STARTING LETTER.
ALSO ALSO, ALL VAOS RULES.

VAOS = CAPS.
MY PHONE ISNT WORKING WITH FORTRAN AND THUS IT SUCKS.

It's a historical language, basically only valuable if you are working on old heavy duty mathematical code.
Although apparently the German weather agency did a rewrite of their entire Software actually in FORTRAN.

>-uses third party libraries (BLAS, LAPACK, OpenMP)
And?
What's the issue?

>can't compete with C/C++ or even Python
In speed for numerical computations it can, especially since basically every numerical application at some point calls FORTRAN code.

>-can't plot
Use gnuplot.

>-no decent ide
Vim.

Don't get me wrong, there are very good reasons for not using them, you just didn't list any of them.

>and yet for some reasons every University push/force there students to use this trash.
I do not think that is the case whatsoever.

That is MATLAB.

>there is no built in lin-alg tools
Except for MATLAB this is true for pretty much any language though...

>Uni teachs you to use only Fortran instead of C/C++ Python or Matlab/Octave.
What the fuck? Are you serious.
I learned C/C++ and MATLAB during he first year, at some point in a numerics code we had a look at a few LAPACK or BLAS routines in FORTRAN, but that was it.

>every University push/force their students to use this trash
citation needed

Faster than C and better than Rust. That is all you need to know

Remember that adoption and survival of a language (be it programming or not) is matter of social conformity.

>uses third party libraries (BLAS, LAPACK)

I seriously don't get that point. BLAS and LAPACK are written in Fortran. These kind of numerical libraries have to be implemented in some language at some point. How is that an argument against Fortran, if every other language (except maybe C/C++) calls exactly those libraries to do their linear algebra?
Is OP actually fucking retarded?

>there

pity they don't teach you how to write properly

>They just need to be able to tell the computer what to calculate and where to read and write data.

what else do you want? and I'm talking in sciences too, you think people have time to jerk off about some nice code? no, you gotta get shit done

programming is just a tool, nothing more nothing less, nothing to self congratulate about

You're are a retarded spic that can't even read English.
The point is that none of the languages you mentioned gives you anything. Everything uses libraries for everything, retard.

Attached: 1376396985367.gif (200x190, 1.28M)

They use Fortran when the data is so large it takes days or weeks to optimize. Fortran is quicker than python and still easier than other options.

I was taught Fortran in highschool and college. What third world education did you get?

did you just wake up from coma after 30 years?

code monkeys use it for ""data" "science""

>Teach there students
Like you'd know anything about universities, GED boy

>Provides literally nothing compared to other languages

* implicit variable definition of a type given by the variable name
* arithmetic IF
* assigned GOTO
* computed GOTO
* pointers? what's that?
* are you still arguing what the best way to write { } is? Oh, did you forget a closing } again? Checked the correct indentation?

(I only learned fortran 77)

The reason for this is because old companies have literal boomer programmers dying off and it is much cheaper and less cumbersome to teach your not-know-any-better ass Fortran than move their entire system to C++
With that being said. It could also be that your Uni is teaching it to you with a focus in scientific programming that you would use in actual research in a lab but I was told its mostly matlab and python now

Attached: 1521507495628.jpg (1100x828, 94K)

>Provides literally nothing compared to other languages whether it's C, C++, Java, Python...
YOU FORGOT TO CALL FORTRAN LE MEME LANGUAGE
this is why Jow Forums has gone to shit, this thread is a pajeet echo chamber, please stop feeding the pajeets

Well, it's better than ALGOL for science stuff

Fortran has pointers. Also, Fortran 95 and up are a drastically different, better, and modern language than 77.

DELICIA

That's not the point of Fortran. It's for high performance scientific computing.

>(I only learned fortran 77)
Well, the newer stuff ain’t really FORTRAN anymore anyways.
If it ain’t in all caps, it ain’t code for the jolly old chaps.

>If it ain’t in all caps, it ain’t code for the jolly old chaps.
May I interest you in some Common Lisp?