What init system is the best?

What init system is the best?

Attached: systemd-featured-800x343.png (800x343, 114K)

If systemd counts as a init system, then it's the only one that exists.
No other init does even 1/50 of the stuff systemd does.
It's more like a full layer between the kernel and the userland more than anything at this point.

Got you.
What about OpenRC and Runit?

smss.exe

Attached: M229164.png (800x800, 215K)

Systemd at its core is a bundle of dumb ideas and ties a bunch of stuff together that has no business being tied together.

There are a little bit of Linux in your SystemD OS anons.

Definitely not Systemd.

Runit is pretty based desu. Very fast. Haven't tried OpenRC yet.

Attached: systemdhcp.jpg (3456x2304, 2.54M)

>init system
This shit is beyond scope creep. This init system also does:
>service management
>DNS resolver
>DHCP client
>VMs
>containers
>boot manager
>networking
>time zone
>keyboard map
>login manager
>etc.

Oh, and logging, which is really great. Did you ever ask yourself: what if I could use two logging systems and fill my disk with the same data? Well, start using CentOS, which uses both rsyslogd and journald. Fuck that autistic German.

>Fuck that autistic German.
Have meds

OpenRC is a bit slower but more featureful than runit in terms of service supervision, for example services can depend on each other. There's a lot of other configuration for it too, but I've only just really started using it.

my theory is that systemd a MS funded effort to abstract the kernel interface to make moving services from the Linux kernel to the NT kernel easier.

Oh and let's not forget that one of those logging systems uses binary logs. Because that's totally a good idea /s

SMF in illumos

Why didn't we just go with that approach? I mean, GNU/Linux has never shyed away from copying ideas from proprietary Unix

s6 with execline

Big if not a fantasy that even David Icke would laugh uproariously at.

Attached: 1561695676441.jpg (1944x2592, 331K)

If systemd is so bad why did literally every distro aside from old/niche ones move to it?

They didn't want to maintain shell scripts. Now they get to maintain every tool of systemd + unit files.

It makes distro maintaining easier. Autists here like to tell you that the old init systems are eqsier and more elegant to use, which is true if you only have to write one or two scripts. Maintaining thousands of them is a fucking mess.

Based historical revisionism poster.
Systemd got adopted by a few big projects that were either funded by Red Hat or had Red Hat devs working on them (Gnome, Debian, etc).
Everyone else followed suit after the stuff their were using started having Systemd dependencies.
It was adopted due to politics, not technical merit.

>It was adopted due to politics, not technical merit.
[citation needed]