Systemd-homed: Systemd Now Working To Improve Home Directory Handling

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-homed

>Improving the Linux handling of user home directories

is the next ambition for systemd.

Among the goals are allowing more easily migratable home directories, ensuring all data for users is self-contained to the home directories, UID assignments being handled to the local system,

>unified user password and encryption key handling,

better data encryption handling in general, and other modernization efforts.

Among the items being explored by systemd-homed are JSON-based user records, encrypted LUKS home directories in loop-back files, and other next-gen features to offering secure yet portable home directories.

Systemd-homed is currently being developed in Lennart's Git tree but hopes to see it merged for either systemd 244 (the current cycle) or systemd 245.

Attached: systemd.jpg (444x324, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Fstab
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Attached: 1566095558803.jpg (410x289, 56K)

Mounting
SystemD
>[Unit]
>Description=Additional drive
>
>[Mount]
>What=/dev/disk/by-uuid/XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX
>Where=/mnt/driveone
>Type=ext4
>Options=defaults
>
>[Install]
>WantedBy=multi-user.target

FSTAB
>/dev/disk/by-uuid/XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX /mnt/driveone ext4 defaults 0 0

FSTAB = 1 line, save, sudo mount -a, comfy
Systemd = shit script, enable unit, start unit, the fuck?

Home Dirs
>i'm assigned a folder
>muh shit is in there
what needed to be changed about that?!

Based on their previous work I'm assuming all the home data will be stored as compressed binary data that is unreadable outside of systemd and gets corrupted a lot.

Use the catalog, moron, there's thread already with actual presentation instead of pooloonix retelling

based

Also Runit is super fast and OpenRC is pretty comfy too more people should use them

There a way to use runit on Gentoo ?

Tell me what the 0 0 means without looking it up.

Yes - it is even in the main portage repo, not even in an overlay?

But how does this affect a brainlet like me who doesn't even fully understand what systemd does?

Systemd OS

Attached: 1562681380811.jpg (500x320, 23K)

Why can't anyone write another init system that uses unit files? We have systemd with unit files and dozen of other init systems using boilerplated bash files with different syntax. I really like idea of unit files, but systemd is a pure cancer.

>unit files
All they do is move the complexity of the script into the init. Why do we need this again?

>All they do is move the complexity of the script into the init
Sounds pretty fucking good to me
>Why do we need this again?
Probably for the reason you just stated.

I'm not a fan of systemd's UI though, something simple like setting up a timer always takes fucking ages when you have to mess with two different types of unit files (always need to look up the syntax each time), enable services (maybe? I still don't know which services need to be enabled and/or how to monitor non-persistent services), monitor their state (systemctl sucks) and debug why the fuck it didn't work.

No. Absolutely not. Lennart can stay right the fuck out of my home directory and encryption.

Attached: 69497536_2187712128022727_4533677468027977728_n.jpg (302x200, 10K)

Because bash is absolute cancer and holding humanity back. Unironically.

We need a shell language that
>works with Unix concepts like pipes and loops
>maintains priority of having program calls and compositions be convenient
>doesn't have retarded syntax
>handles strings as data instead of macros
>supports first-class functions

If this happened, everything would be ok.

Only reason some people are complaining about this is because it's under the systemd umbrella.

But guess what, even if you use systemd, you don't have to use this. I certainly won't.

HOOMER

>Why can't anyone write another init system that uses unit files?
Undoubtably there are devs out there currently working on a replacement for systemd, probably in a safer language than C (Go, Rust) and this in turn will feel like a breath of fresh air compared to systemd, while still offering the same core features while remaining more modular and lean.

Then it will show warts of its own across a decade of usage, and a new solution will emerge, cycle repeats...

>Sounds pretty fucking good to me
The problem with this is that a lot of tasks do not require a complex init. I think we need something that somehow combines both approaches.
>always need to look up the syntax each time
I know what you mean, this is so annoying.

There is literally nothing wrong with systemd.

larger problem and attack surface sounds good to you?

There is literally nothing wrong with being a faggot.

I agree.

You have no say. System-d gets adopted by distros after being pushed by social influence. You have none.

Enjoy your DOS kernel.

Attached: 54621.jpg (1280x720, 78K)

Enjoy your increased risk of AIDS (exploits) and the decline of society (scope creep).

Every time I hear about something new that systemd is doing the more it would make sense to me for it to be a NSA implant.

Attached: freedom-woman2.jpg (953x1200, 272K)

I'm on Trisquel and Hyperbola. Can't catch me, Lennart.

Attached: 1563880890918.jpg (644x631, 68K)

fucking why though??

Attached: animehuoli24.jpg (460x404, 82K)

Don't update, zoomer.

What the fuck do the devs believe to be the goal of systemd at this point? People make jokes about it being a whole OS and then the devs get pissy about the jokes, but they also seem to want to make the jokes into reality and take over everything.

Attached: 1560749821557.png (680x604, 261K)

I say let it go, it will explode and fuck everyone in the face but at least potteriamcolossalfaggot won't touch an "init" system ever again, right?

>goal of systemd
"systemd is a suite of basic building blocks for a Linux system. "
So the next GNU.
he will touch the kernel inappropriately

accept the botnet, become your own gf yourself, works at the big companies, make 350k posting in your personal blog about diversity

Attached: DidiMew1534551506.jpg (2048x1457, 358K)

The goal has been clearly stated, systemd is to cover everything that is needed for a core OS together with the Linux kernel.

This has been an advantage for the BSD's, they ship as an entire operating system, supplying all core components directly written to work perfectly against the rest of their respective systems.

On Linux pre-systemd, there was little consensus beyond coreutils, and this is what systemd wanted to solve, and what the enterprise wanted. I'm no fan of systemd, but I understand why it has become the de facto standard low level plumbing to use with the Linux kernel to make it into a full operating system.

Something better will come along, but OpenRC etc will never see another spring.

>So the next GNU
Compilerd when?

Default default.

>become the de facto standard low level plumbing to use with the Linux kernel to make it into a full operating system.
GNU was a full OS, though parts like GNOME are being moved into systemd.
systemd is probably self-hosting

>mount units add additional complexity in order to provide features I don't need
>therefore nobody needs them
also, systemd-fstab-generator is a thing you absolute brainlet

If Gnome is part of the GNU operating system, I don't want to use GNU.

GuixSD shoud have GNUStep as default DE.
It is more GNU than Gnome and is the closest thing you can have to the comfy nextstep environment.

GNOME wasn't always like this, the redhat money corrupted them.

>JSON-based user records

Attached: 1568636806920.jpg (500x486, 109K)

Well, Gnome 2 was really nice.

Probably not ready for serious usage yet though?

just enable parallel startup, then it will be as fast as runit

without lennart open source would have floundered years ago

wait a second
was the kicking a guy in to the milky way pose from the old god hand mspaint comic meme copied from this? it looks exactly the same.

>the next ambition
Have they succeeded in any of their former ones?
Fucking saboteurs.

>JSON-based anything
Fucking what?
Are these retards actually ”webdevs”?

now explain to me how would you go about and not update systemd but still being able to update any other shit, some of which depend on systemd

>no ssh logins unless you are already also logged in locally into the machine

First zero is the sequential, increasing order in which to mount the disks.
Second zero is whether to use the (dmp or dump - I can't remember) for backup purposes. 0 disables.

>First zero is the sequential, increasing order in which to mount the disks.
You sure? I thought it was the order of fsck.

Yup, ur worng lole
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Fstab

SystemD makes the human's job easier. Runit and other crap make it easy for the computer. However modern PCs already transfer and process entire websites in real time, so these trivial config changes are nothing but whining.

Hasn't been proven. If the FOSS community cares, they can go and audit/verify sytemd. They haven't done it for runit/openrc so who cares?

I'm not against the existence of systemd, but I'm against it being rhe default.
90% of desktop GNU/Linux users barely ever write an init script/service themselves: the init system is completely transparent to them. Therefore, a smaller, simpler and therefore less buggy and safer alternative such as OpenRC or runit should be the default instead. Leave systemd for sysadmins and people who actually deal with services and know what they want.

I agree there, if windows can go from bios to desktop in 3 seconds, linux should too.

Bait?

No, I've yet to boot a distro that does it.

Wtf you puttin in your installs son