/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

last thread archived edition

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards
>Great durability (excl L and E series)
>Utilitarian design
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Most models are easy to repair, upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model and spare parts are easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, easier to use when typing
>Good for Hackintoshing

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500
Models before *40 series can be Corebooted

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available for a good price, socketed CPU (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Chink Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, miniDP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 008_1516719811616.jpg (2256x1496, 620K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/X1-Carbon-Gen-7/p/22TP2TXX17G
aliexpress.com/item/32964063171.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.9a954c4deCuYxK
aliexpress.com/item/32999662913.html
ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X201/143383601448?hash=item2162542128:g:X3MAAOSwwVFdfP1q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

X270 vs T470

Attached: 1527271017977.jpg (307x352, 24K)

Second

>Clipper card
Where in the shit and used needle minefield do you live OP?

I'm using a W530, currently running Windows 10 and it works fine but I wish I could use Linux. Is there finally support for Nvidia Optimus doing hot switching between the integrated and discrete GPU? Last time I checked you had to boot into one mode or the other and couldn't change without rebooting

Not OP, but we both live in Commiefornia.

lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/X1-Carbon-Gen-7/p/22TP2TXX17G
>Battery
>4 Cell Li-Polymer Internal Battery, 51Wh
>Li-Polymer
why

used t420 is the best 150$ I've ever spent on a computer. Over 2 years and still chugging

P and X series are on totally opposite spectrum my friend. P's are desktop replacement tier workstations while X's are full mobility, T's are the middle ground. Do you need the mobility or the power more?

Does anyone have weird issues with debian and eduroam? I have the same wpa config on Gentoo and it works fine, but in debian it keeps getting dropped randomly and I have to restart dhcpcd.

Is there a screwdriver that won't strip screw heads on recent ThinkPads? I had to stop trying to open the RAM compartment door because I noticed the screw was starting to strip although I applied hardly any pressure. I searched online, and screwhead stripping on ThinkPads is a common phenomenon. Amazon or Aliexpress link to a specific screwdriver model would be the best but any suggestion is appreciated.

>tried glasses cloth
>didn't work

Is my screen kill? I can't clean those lines. How do I clean a ThinkPad screen?

Attached: IMG_20190921_121007905_HDR.jpg (3072x4096, 2.69M)

me too but got fed up looking at TN eye cancer and bought a XPS 13 lmao
my T420 is somewhere in the house haven't seen it for 7 months xD

So this isn't Thinkpad related but still Think relevant. Thinking about pulling the card reader out of a Thinkstation to use in my desktop because every aftermarket internal card reader apparently sucks a fat one. From what I've seen, the pinout for a Lenovo card reader matches a standard USB2 header with two extra pins at the end. Apparently these are just one extra ground and one signal used by Thinkstation motherboards to detect the reader's presence, and you can just stick a jumper on the board to use other brands. Am I right in assuming that I'll be able to do the opposite and use a Lenovo reader in another system by just leaving the extra two pinholes hanging? Also, do any Thinkstations include a USB3 connected reader instead of 2 for nicer speeds?

looks like oil or grease

Nvidia updated their Linux driver a couple weeks ago for better discrete GPU handling. You should look into that.

Mix some rubbing alcohol with water and try that. It will be fine as long as you don't use the alcohol mix everyday.
Should get everything off your screen that is possible to get off without destruction.

With this I got rid of some key imprints on my Gfs Thinkpad screen. The screen imprints were so bad I thought the plastic of the screen was permanently damaged/scratched because water and window cleaner alone would do nothing.

>Why yes, I did buy the tablet versions of the X200 and X220 because they already come with IPS screens. What gave it away?

Attached: gigachad thinkpad.jpg (758x644, 64K)

I prefer x, lighter and easier to carry around,
Though some ppl find the screen too small.
Also get a x250 or t250 instead it's much cheaper.

Thoughts on T480?
Also I don't see any of the models that include the optional GeForce MX150 on lenovo's website like some people say it can include, what happened?

How to maximize battery consumption on a t470s running linux? Just install tlp or do i need to edit some config file?

minimize*

So my T450s (my first Chinkpad) came in from eBay today. When I powered it on it worked fine.

But I didn't know it was from a Pajeet and there were a fuck ton of pubes cat hair dandruff and dick cheese so I opened up the case and removed the motherboard, keyboard, trackpad, etc. and wiped everything down with alcohol sheets and blasted with compressed air.

I reassembled everything acc to the Hardware Maintenance Manual and when I press the power button it turns on but nothing's displaying? And of course when I hook it up to external monitor nothing shows bc how do you configure this without a display in the first place?

Any clues where I fucked up? All the parts seem to be physically intact.

Attached: IMG_20190921_070349_1.jpg (4032x3024, 3.54M)

Attached: IMG_20190921_070405.jpg (2000x2667, 2.75M)

Attached: IMG_20190921_070413.jpg (4032x3024, 3.22M)

Attached: IMG_20190921_070424.jpg (4032x3024, 3.76M)

I was thinking about getting a T440p for college.
Found a Grade-A listing on my place for around 350 with the 4600M and 8GB of RAM.
Is that excessive? I was thinking about getting a base model for around 150 and upgrading it myself but I can't find decently priced CPUs for it.

Attached: 1567854644466.gif (506x516, 443K)

You can use kernel command line arguments for things like igpu downclocking and framebuffer compression. In tlp, force powersave as the default governor for battery and disable bluetooth/wifi when not in use. Make sure you change a few usb related settings, as tlp turns usb ports off after a while by default.

will enabling EFI only instead of legacy boot finally allow me to fucking install arch on my x220?

because square batteries and not cylindrical cells

>the screw was starting to strip although I applied hardly any pressure.
then apply more pressure??? dumbass

I purchased a used x230 tablet version and it works surprisingly well. The only issue I have is that there is a noticeable bulge under the panel near the power button. Is there any iternal part that could cause this or did the previous owner just do a sloppy job of reassembly? I'd like to get some ideas of what to expect before I take it apart

do you mean on the screen or on the base?
in either case, yes, there are some plastic tab bits that need to be snapped in

got an X220 from a local store in my shithole the machine is in perfect state all works cool except the battery aint standing much
are the 9 cells batteries listed on ebay legit ?

what should be the price of this

ThinkPad w541 i7-4810qm 4x 2,80ghz 512 GO SSD 32 Go Q k1100m Cam RW w10 b11

Where do you guys get genuine replacement batteries, or do you buy some other reliable company?

Thanks I meant to say it's on the bottom section that has the keyboard. The upper panel with The monitor is totally fine.

thank you

why not just buy the x230 tablet
the old keyboards are crap, at least on my t420 it is

yep, the bottom trim bit has some plastic things that need to be snapped in at the back, you might not have to disassemble anything, just squeeze/smack the bulge and then tighten the screws again

w541 or t440p?

performance - w541
comfy + portable - t440p

thanks, I already have a beefy tower so I'll go for the t440p
how is the 4600m model?

Awesome, thanks!

if you have an SSD in it and 8 or more ram you are golden. if you need a thinkpad for anything else but gaming, get one without a eGPU.
what do you plan on using it for?

the model I'm looking at has both of those checked
>what do you plan on using it for?
for class pretty much. programming, virtualization and some light image editing

nice, the t440p would be more than enough for these

many thanks user, I was having a hard time looking at so many models

>Dell Inspiron 14 3476 14-inch HD Intel Core i5 8th Gen
Intel Core i5-8200U Processor, DVD-RW, 4GB DDR Memory, AMD Radeon 520 with 2GB Dedicated Graphics, 1TB Storage, 14" HD Display, Windows 10 Operating System
>690usd
vs
>Intel Core i5 7200U Processor, Radeon R5 M430 with 2 GB Dedicated Graphics, 14" HD Display, 500GB Hard Drive, 4GB DDR Memory, Windows 10 Operating System
>650usd
I'm choosing between these two with preference to the former. Is it a good choice for someone who would want an all around mid-range laptop? Heaviest I'd do is play CS:GO but I'd use it heavily for work as well which uses word and powerpoint at most and of course browsing for email. Is the 50usd for an upgrade of cpu worth it or can I just allocate that to adding RAM? Can I add RAM to these?

>inspiron
never, either go for latitude/precision from Dell
also you NEED an ssd in 2019

Is the Inspiron line bad? Yeah I forgot to add that I intend to buy an SSD as well. Any suggestion for either Latitude or Precision? What makes them better than Inspiron?
My maximum budget is 700usd.

get an SSD and check if you can upgrade the ram, cago and gaming is pretty much impossible with 4gb

Which thinkpads make good hackintoshes?

I believe I can upgrade the RAM. So I get the 8200 one and upgrade RAM and SSD?

I'm reaching snappiness levels that shouldn't be possible with my T430.

Thank you.
Do you think it will be good for desktop monitors?
I got an Asus matte that has some sort of film on it. Asus VC239H.

Yes, finger jizz.

Depends on your location. Here in canuckistan they hover around the 250 range on eBay, last time i checked at least. Usually "good" condition but you can likely replace whatever is wrong it it for less than the 100 bucks difference.

T480 is discontinued now so there's not many models left

i need some small thinkpad to use whenever i go outside (very rarely), would it be a better idea to get an x60/x61 or an x220 in terms of mobility? i would only use it for web browsing and normalfag-tier shit like that. i don't give a shit about weight and thickness btw

Get an X220 or X230, depending on budget and availability in your area.

Got a stupid question for any user that can answer it
I got given an old x201 with a forgotten bio password and shorted the EEPROM pins to get rid of it. Since putting it back together I saw that computrace is active. Can you remove computrace by shorting the same pins and disabling it or would I be wasting an hour opening and closing that thing again?

I know computrace won't make a difference when I install gentoo hurr hurr but I want to get rid of it anyway

>Also get a x250 or t250 instead it's much cheaper.
Thanks. I found a T470 on ebay for $469.00 last night and I couldn't resist. Brand new, 14.0" HD, i5-6300U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD.
Pretty good or did I goof? They are all sold out today so I'm not feeling too bad.

Attached: 1505241448803.jpg (588x588, 37K)

>14.0 HD
>HD
Oh no

How does that work on gentoo? is there specific flags I need for that?

I never understood why someone cant carry around a p series laptop, like it's 3 extra lbs, like how weak can you be?

My T420 has the same issue. It turns on but nothing shows up on the display, which is properly connected. I think the motherboard is fried. Try removing the RAM and booting it up to see if it will POST.

Yes.

Make sure your RAM is properly seated and clean the slots if there's cum or pubes in there.

I paid 130 euros for my x250 with 4GB of ram and 500GB HDD. Then I added a 120GB m.2 ssd for 20 bucks.
Final price 150 euros and I could upgrade the ram probably for another 50.
Though I would rather upgrade the screen to an IPS one but I don't use it as my main computer anymore since I bought an x220t and the x220t comes always with IPS screen.

Should I get the i7-4810MQ for $20 more than the i7-4700MQ?

Attached: yh0pfmhyuzz21.jpg (600x600, 36K)

Bought a micron C600 msata ssd, installed it in the X220 and all it's showing is an error message in the BIOS about an unrecognized msata drive. W520 behaves the same. What do?

How battery threshold works? I used tlp to set it to 75%-80%. Will it ever reach 80? Because it is stuck (more than an hour) at 79% and says it is charging.

>Though I would rather upgrade the screen to an IPS one but I don't use it as my main computer
same here. i'm not looking to watch movies or play around. 95% spreadsheets and web admin + 5% classic wow (fingers crossed)

I just realized that the battery I ordered on Aliexpress (Lenovo 68+) is a Chinese copy. I hope it will have an autonomy similar to the original... Have any of you ever had a good experience with a Chinese battery?

aliexpress.com/item/32964063171.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.9a954c4deCuYxK

Attached: no rubber.jpg (1000x1000, 267K)

best cheap SSD for an x220?

whatever is on sale

You can always get $20 anytime but you can't get anymore niggerhertz
Thats normal

Where to buy t440p touchpad replacement? Im only going to use loonix

aliexpress.com/item/32999662913.html

Can't flash the mod bios with advanced menu, anyone know why?
Winbloat 10 LTSC on X220

Attached: DF7945EF-3F6F-42AA-9406-F4375CB621E9.jpg (4032x3024, 2.07M)

I just bought an x230 with the IPS screen and SSD on ebay. Did I just make a big mistake? How difficult is the keyboard mod?

harder than its worth

>inspiron
>HDD
get a used T480, thank me l8r

pic related I hope

Attached: f3db9a49c31f89b9ac53456bc38bb6b7245cc32f.gif (640x480, 21K)

but i like my laptop desu, i've had two and they're great + cheap

it's a meme bios pic dumb dumb

nevermind, excuse my autism
i might flash that as my boot logo if i can get this to work

good deal here
ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X201/143383601448?hash=item2162542128:g:X3MAAOSwwVFdfP1q

fuuuuuck
if i was in britbongistan, instant buy
>t. moose fucker

>2x2GB Memory
>6 Cell Battery - Holds very little charge (5 minutes)
>No HDD / SSD or Caddy or Cover
>No Charger Included
>Usual scratches for laptop from 2011, has tape over part of the lid due to hole from previous owner
How much of a bum do you have to be for that machine to have any monetary value to you?

>he doesn't have spare parts lying around
found the poseur

are you from europe? for some reason lenovo decided that EMEA doesn't get dgpu models that could be the reason

Even if you do, what would you use it for? Your thinkpad museum? Why not pay 20 quid more and get an x201 that doesn't have cracks and semen stains then?

idk if you wanted a cheap x201 you could literally just put a hdd in it and a new battery for the grand sum of £20 or less and there you go

Prepare to spend 80 bucks on that stupid mod

I could get a better condition one at my local reseller, and that would even have warranty

>I paid 130 euros for my x250 with 4GB of ram and 500GB HDD
how? they're all 200 euros minimum on ebay.

It was 130 when i bought it some months ago.
I think you have to wait until there's a mass dump and the price drops.
Also when there's a msss drop don't be afraid to loose an auction, there will be many more.

ok boss. i already got ebay api access. writing python script as we speak.

samsung qvo