Is it a good idea to build and use a wooden case...

Is it a good idea to build and use a wooden case? Any possible advantages or disadvantages over a normal metal and plastic one?

Attached: 777f7f0e.jpg (3268x2179, 1.91M)

Quieter, maybe?

Extremely shitty thermals? Is it really less expensive than finding the cheapest metal and plastic game in town? Chances are they have access to better, cheaper molding and pressing systems than you.

Possibly heat warp, especially in humid climates. Although a good seal would stop that, but then you need to seal it which takes weeks to full dry. Not to mention you can press and bend as easily as steel, it needs to be milled or steam pressed or something, which is more involved and would drive the prices into boutique case territory $300+ probably. If done right I don't see why you couldn't though, there's just cost involved. If you just want a wood box with inserts for the motherboard though, that would probably be trivial for any woodworker, but anything as complex as modern cases with tons of brackets and weird cable covers and separating face plates and PSU shrouds and tool-less hard drive mounts and shit would be pricey.

What if you pad the insides with metal

No RF shielding. You should use steel sheet tape on the inside of the case.

>you can press
can't

Also usually you should reseal wood every once in a while. But I can see it not mattering on a case since you don't have to touch it at all. A varnish would probably last years just fine, maybe dull or yellow a bit

I'm no engineer but I think the primary problem with wood is its insulating "cannot dissipate all this heat" factors, not its "get set on fire" factors. I fail to see how padding the interior with metal would help/

Thermals are almost entirely from airflow. Conductivity through the panels is low and especially on glass, but decent modern cases like the meshify C and h710 cool as well as older cases with similar airflow. I don't think heat transfer is a problem

>heat and humidity will warp it
>shitty thermals
>doesn't provide grounding
what the fuck does RF shielding matter

Less vibration so lower acoustics.

would a 3D printed plastic resin computer case be any good?

Attached: FX4975WIPR4U22K.RECT2100[1].jpg (1146x954, 207K)

Just get a normal case and just replace the removable panels with a custom wood design. That way you get to keep all the bracketing and other usual features.

>tailor pc to your needs
why would this ever be bad user?

>the primary problem with wood is its insulating "cannot dissipate all this heat" factors
what fucking case uses the case itself as the primary cooling device?
you could make a pc case out of the most insulating substance on the planet and it would not matter whatsoever as long as it has proper airflow

>what the fuck does RF shielding matter
it doesnt.
you can run a computer with no case and be fine

Looks cool and creative

high thermal insulating abilities aint what you look for in a case

Yes, however your regular FDM printer PLA probably isn't a great idea, it would have to be ABS which is a bitch to print.
If you really mean resin SLA printing you will have a case that costs way too much.
Printing connectors with an FDM or SLA printer and attaching laser cut acrylic glassto the 3D printed frame is probably the best option.

Attached: kdk9Vrs.jpg (4032x3024, 1.17M)

Forgot to mention that PLA is fully sufficient when you don't have it in any hot areas of the case, remember that PLA loses structural integrity at around 80°C/176°F, which you wouldn't notice at first but the parts probably bend after a few months when they're too close to the CPU.

Annealed PLA is better than ABS for this kind of application.

It could possibly have decent accoustics if one of the fan holes is installed with a speaker driver instead. Might even double as a practise upright bass by attaching a bass guitar neck on the side.

I've never come across this, neat. Thanks for pointing that out, that just changed my plans for the case I'm planning.

huge fire risk

Don't install Intel.

Go for wood veneers if you just want the look of wood.

Attached: miT87fC.jpg (1500x807, 233K)

My current setup is a small heavy wheeled table with my monitor and kb/m on it, with a 20 foot split loom packed with wires running to my computer. I'm going to build another wheeled table with the computer inside it, because my 240hz monitor will only run at 144hz, and sometimes has trouble doing even that, because the cable is too long. I have to leave the displayport cable out of the split loom, otherwise induction interference makes the screen blank out every few seconds while the monitor and gpu re-handshake with each other.

The new table will still have a power cord and ethernet cable running to it, but at least I'll have 240hz goodness. I'm sitting on a comfy couch btw, that's why the rolling table is necessary

also I'm using hobby-grade plywood for the table, that's why I posted in this thread

That looks fucking neato.
I hope there's a layer of metal under the paneling.

>quiet but smells amazing and not like the weird Fractal define smell
>but also a fire hazard

but you cant rub it and feel the grain, or smell it

>what fucking case uses the case itself as the primary cooling device?
Who said anything about primary cooling?
Every degree of heat you can remove from the premises of your computer is a plus, no matter how small by itself.
And steel case just bleeds heat much better than any wood.

Are you retarded? Metal definitely helps because the heat is trapped inside the case and therefore the case will definitely heat up as well.

cant you just paint the interior black or use some of that gold thermal foil ricers use in their shitty LS swapped S13 silvias?

I honestly can't tell if you're fucking with me right now or not. This place damaged me.

>no routed edges
>no dovetailing
>no real woodworking at all
Fuck, why bother? Just get a $20 steel shitbox if all you want is a basic, no frills housing.

why wouldnt thermal foil help with dissipation by a tiny margin?

Because you're still doing all this inside an insulated box.
You are doing fuckall to actually conduct heat through the entire surface area of the case - like metal cases do by default- even if you lined the inside with fucking graphene.

because if the case is wood the heat is still trapped inside, retard

but now the interior, which is full of air being flowed through it, now has a surface that conducts heat

You see, I know where are you going with this and it's not illogical way of thinking, but remember, no matter what kind of airflow you have, no matter how many heat sinks and fans you have inside, you've removed the cases' ability to act as one big radiator and passively conduct away heat through its entire surface area
Every miracle of thermodynamics you can achieve inside this wooden case would be that much more effective inside a metal one.
That's all we're saying. How much impact this has, I honestly have no fucking clue, because last time I've worked with a PC that didn't have a metal case, they still had Turbo buttons and 2 digit clock speeds.

>Plastic
Enjoy your cancer

but metal doesnt have that luscious smooth feel and smell of fine wood

Buy a good desk and air freshener and don't torture your computer for things 'tis not meant for.

how about I case mod a SPARC or a mint SGI just to fucking piss you off?

I’d be concerned about the heat and what it would do to the wood
Maybe not a fire hazard but wood heated over and over can crack or change color, but I’ve never tried wood
Get one OP and report back in a month or two

Aren’t finishes and varnishes flammable?

You can toss it out of the window if you think I'm actually getting angry over this.

very

So is plastic.

>you can run a computer with no case
Probably.
The problems will instead be with people elsewhere using radio and radar. One airport lost radio communications after a building was outfitted with tons of LEDs thanks to garbage electronics and no shielding.

does plastic spontaneously combust if you stick it in a pile?

so I can stick a bochang in a PC case and transmit on hot frequencies to my heats content?

Are you somehow thinking that people are planning to build a case out of cellulose nitrate or extremely dry tinder in a desert climate?

oil rags

You can if you want to, nothing wrong with building your own case out of whatever you want. Just be sure to allow everything to fit correctly and have airflow.
The material does NOT matter, no thermal issues, no RF/interference issues, no grounding issues. Its all about aesthetics.
There are a lot of opinions on this subject, but are constantly disproved with facts. We go over this every week on Jow Forums and there is always some user with zero experience building enclosures that wants to express their opinion based on thoughts, not actual experience.

likely you are going to want to gut an old case for some of it like if you want to have some HDD or SSD brackets, maybe incorporate the side panels from an old case.

I really see no issues with it other than most people have shitty carpentry tools and skills... like OPs pic looks amateur as fuck

You could even copy to some extent some of the higher end cases and modify the design to meet your needs.

literally everything spontaneously combusts when you put it in a pile, spontaneous combustion isn't a function of the material its a function of thermal runaway and the sun

this place has always had the same percentage of 15 year olds who don't know shit from shinola

the wood will offgas a lot of phytoestrogens which will potentially make you into a tranny over time

just beware

Nylon is a gud alternative