Why aren't you using Rust?

Stop complaining about transgendered people, ESS JAY DUBYAS and so on.
Why aren't you moving on from your C++ shit?

Attached: EEye392XYAAm-XL.jpg (850x1202, 195K)

Other urls found in this thread:

doc.rust-lang.org/1.9.0/std/macro.try!.html
rust-lang.org/production/users
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because I'm using lithp.

Post more squishy catgirls and I'll consider it.

because I'm a python chad

Why would I move to a worse language?

Attached: 1558186315963.jpg (1200x1694, 627K)

Because Golang is objectively superior.

Why are you comparing Go to programming languages?

Duuuude......

Attached: 1568828789840.png (1044x869, 185K)

god i wish i was her

After what happened with RMS, why would you give more institutional power to SJWs? Their politics are no longer a joke, you can't just ignore them.

Because I'm not a tranny.

I am unironically using Rust to lift my services made in Golang,Node,.Net-Core when things get to heavy and shit hits the fan and it needs a powerhouse like Rust, worked out great, FFI + Rust is piss easy to use

I moved on to C#

this desu

Attached: 1550824898289.gif (512x512, 510K)

Because I already tried moving to Rust, and the lack of exceptions outside of panic!() means I have no choice but to stick with C++ for the time being.
It's a real shame too, right now it's basically the only functional programming language that can compete with C in terms of performance, and I wish C++ were as simple to use in that regard.

>Rust
>functional

Why the fuck are you using exceptions?

Attached: 1550026268680.jpg (2812x4000, 2.44M)

I just want to program assistance software for osrs and go just works for that since I'm dumb

Attached: 1565044838680.jpg (650x879, 51K)

I have a program that essentially interprets a user string and calls various functions from it recursively, and I need to be able to kill execution of it if the number of operations done is reached.
There's panic!() and catch_unwind(), but the fact that it catches any panic at all instead of just my case is frustrating.
Trying to use a Result for this, pattern matching on it every step of the way, is beyond tedious.

It has a lot of features in that regard, which means you really could just write parts of your program completely functionally without tanking performance, via pattern matching, closures, higher order functions, very controlled mutability, etc.

C++ deterministic exceptions solves this without overhead

i hate rust because it is retrictive, nonperformant and its design goes out of its way to solve problems that i dont have in the first place
the trannyCOC shit only reaffirms my initial dislike

it calls abort on allocation failure

you don't have to pattern match everywhere, there's a macro for it that either unwraps it for you or forwards the error to the caller
i honestly don't remember what it's called though

>nonperformant
lol no

doc.rust-lang.org/1.9.0/std/macro.try!.html
here you go.

God I wish I could use this.

>ywn have a big breasted thick cat girl waking you up everyday while riding on top of you
Real life is hell

I love this thing. Rust is the best language ever.

I love not being able to "mutate" (awesome new word for change/vary) variables by default! I really like that Rust makes you beg for permission every time you want to do anything useful.

I love how verbose the language is, it's so ergonomic. Imagine just typing out exactly what you mean instead of having the compiler interrogate you like a jealous girlfriend about where your pointer has been.

I really love begging the compiler to just work, especially when I want to implement a doubly linked list. I have to specify "unsafe" or have someone else do the coding for me (import a crate). It's like being born with a dildo up your ass by default and having to beg for it to be removed just so you can focus on what you're doing.

One of Rust's best features is how it throws away all the baggage of having a common and well-supported environment like C and C++. Instead MODULES. Modules modules modules. And crates. We will rewrite everything in Rust before we can resume what we're doing! I love how the language changes daily and is so unstable that I have to use an out of date compiler just to keep my project stable.

I love having SJWs and trannies in the core team tell me what to do. I love having to apologise for being white and justify my existence by adopting the latest fad mental illness, like being a multi-gender-representing bisexual otherkin.

Fuck you Ceniles. Rust is the future, get out of the way.

Background: I am into cuckoldry and love femdom, I like being told what to do.

Attached: rust-fag.png (906x520, 45K)

they made unwrapping or returning an error just ?

like let x = op1()?.op2()?.op3()?;

it returns an error if any of the steps fail

>implementing basic data structures by hand

you can use Rust when you finish school

For C++ there is everything already existing: libraries, guides, community, support etc. Rust is ok, but far from that atm. And when you have already learned C and C++ there is no need to learn anything new, you can already do everything with those.

this whole thread is bait

Attached: exISluO.png (199x200, 11K)

how do I learn Rust if I'm not efficient with c++

Who is Rust really aimed at? Most things don't need such performance. If it does, the devs will already be:
1. Mostly competent
2. Using sanitizers, profilers, analyzers and so on
3. Working on some huge codebase that there's no way in hell they'll rewrite or replace

How is it tedious? Just define return as a Result and use ? operator. You don't need match at all for error handling.

? is better than try!

Read the book or rust by example.

Systems programming and you are right on everything. That's why it takes so long for Rust to get popular while Go is everywhere.
But sometimes you have a new service to write or rewrite small but critical part, like implement some compression, encryption, physic engine, renderer, and here is where you should use Rust. Some companies already rewrite performance critical parts of their systems to Rust, like Dropbox.

still waiting for that rust kernel...

>Why the fuck are you using exceptions?
To handle exceptional behavior.

>some compression, encryption, physic engine, renderer, and here is where you should use Rust
But literally no one does that.
People writing new encryption or compression stuff are doing it in C. Or C++ for larger physics/rendering libraries.

One reason people don't use Rust is that it does not bring much benefit, but the death sentence for Rust is that there is simply no easy way to consume Rust libraries from other languages, like you can do with C.
And by easy way I mean: it should be easy (and fast) to compile, to interface (C has a simple, defined ABI) and even inspect/audit the code (C is very simple).

Anyway, Rust was never meant to compete with C. It was supposed to compete with C++, but it will end just like D (in fact D had a better chance because it was written by C++ experts, yet it still failed to gain traction).

Doesn't redoxOS have rust kernel?

Exceptions are slow and contribute to many bugs. Rust error handling is more explicit and predictable.

>But literally no one does that.
rust-lang.org/production/users

>One reason people don't use Rust is that it does not bring much benefit
How so? It has all sorts of features you won't see in c++ in years if at all. Not having 50 years of legacy and bad decisions is enough of a feature.
People don't use it often because it's hard to find experienced rust devs, these projects carry significant risk and most of the tasks are based on maintaining old codebase instead of making new one. Not because it doesn't have enough features.
This is literally the same thing that happens with all new systems programming languages, but rust is the one who is most successful.

>death sentence for Rust is that there is simply no easy way to consume Rust libraries from other languages, like you can do with C.
Rust FFI is nearly as easy as C.

>And by easy way I mean: it should be easy (and fast) to compile, to interface (C has a simple, defined ABI) and even inspect/audit the code (C is very simple).
Rust FFI uses the same ABI as C.

>It was supposed to compete with C++,
Agreed

>D had a better chance because it was written by C++ experts, yet it still failed to gain traction).
Yet D is nowhere as successful as Rust.

have every operation take in a mutable reference to a "gas" counter and decrement it, early returning if the counter is 0 (just slam this at the head of each function - you can probably use a macro) or if the child has returned after running out of gas (just use a ? mark after calling other operations)

just have no CoC and license with gplv3, they will run away

Rust is trannies. You can’t build a firm software foundation if you’re also pretending to be a lady.

Whatever technical merits it might have are offset by the hordes of far leftists and gender-confused people.

Gods be good my dick is fucking diamonds.

Rust >>>>>>> C
C++ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rust

Attached: 1565368351132.jpg (1080x1216, 147K)

The borrow checker is too naive and causes severe maintenance and planning issues in real projects, where as the project evolves, you inadvertently face the choice of either rewriting everything from scratch or using unsafe blocks all over the place to add a new feature, no matter how simple. This of course defeats the purpose of using rust.
Personally I've taken to using CL for professional work. It's almost C fast but even more interactive than scripting languages. It is GC'd, unfortunately, but CCL's precise GC is good enough for almost all cases (wouldn't use SBCL though). Realistically, the only time I would need true C speed, I would actually use C, simply because this will be very small modules that are to be called from other languages, and because this is a lot less fuss to make things work than in rust. So long as only small modules are written in C, the safety disadvantage is irrelevant.

Why would you want to know?

based coomer

>The borrow checker is too naive and causes severe maintenance and planning issues in real projects, where as the project evolves, you inadvertently face the choice of either rewriting everything from scratch or using unsafe blocks all over the place to add a new feature, no matter how simple. This of course defeats the purpose of using rust.
Git good.
Also if you use unsafe anywhere except behind safe interfaces, you don't understand Rust. At this point you lose everything Rust stands for, so you might just use C++.

>Why aren't you moving on from your C++ shit?
I still got my private parts intact.

>Why aren't you moving on from your C++ shit?
But I'm already using the D programming language, user! It even allows you to define a function as memory safe like so:
void
main() @safe
{
dostuff
}

Because c++ is the fucking best retard

This

>define a function as memory safe
What the fuck does that even mean?

> At this point you lose everything Rust stands for, so you might just use C++.
That's my point. In practice it's impossible to move a piece of software forward without either doing that (thus defeating the point of rust) or rewriting from scratch (thus defeating the point of rust because you might as well have instead worked on detecting and fixing memory leaks, less time and effort in that).

It's a well-known fact that you can't "git gud" about that either, even the core rust devs agree with that (I presented them various situations where they agreed that both 1. this is not something "wrong" to do i.e. there is not a more idiomatic way to do that in rust, and 2. the only way is to rewrite or to use unsafe, some of these situations made it into bug reports which they added features to support).

It uses a GC.

They will make tranny CoC part of compiler license.

>Git good.
>just refactor your entire design to fit into rust's autism dude, no big deal
>what do you mean you have shit to do? think of the safety!