Can play the most advanced Windows games with minimal hit to performance

>can play the most advanced Windows games with minimal hit to performance
>in many cases, can even play older Windows games better than Windows
>still can't run MS Office

What did the brilliant minds in the FOSS community mean by this?

Attached: wine20stable.png (649x522, 199K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/jsonevil
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Well, if they can decently emulate DirectX, then most games shouldn't be a problem, they don't make many obscure syscalls.
On the other hand, Office is probably one of pieces of software that abuses them the most and has a lot of baggage from decades ago.

Because LibreOffice is better.

>MS Word
Unironically what do people use this for? Google docs is good enough for 99% of shitty papers and slideshows you need to write. Isn't latex supposed to be what tech literate people use for anything requiring more advanced formatting? No one likes booting up MS Word just to read some shitty paper.

yeah i agree with this. office needs a clean slate. its full of old baggage from decades of office builds. along with obscure system calls and api's its a hot bed of a mess.

but sadly microsofts doesn't clean it as it would break massive amounts of backwards compatibility. especially with doc and docx formats, excel, powerpoint, etc.

>Unironically what do people use this for?
doc and docx format. word is the only one with perfect compatibility for those formats and those formats are universal standards. my wife went back to college (state funded university) to finish her degree and for the last two years, every single class required all documents be saved in either doc or docx. not even txt or rtf where supported. and word had to be used and was given free by her college because of the doc and docx format. so at least she was able to get office for free thanks to the contract they had with microsoft. on top of that she also had to use one drive as a lot of classes used it to host files for students to easily share with each other.

>t. turbo-NEET

Rewriting software from scratch is almost never a good idea, though. That's one of reasons for why office got so popular to begin with. Read Joel Spolsky's article on the subject, it's pretty good.

When will people stop glorifying that idiot?

just use the web version or a vm

+1

Valve helping a lot along the way

Reading my retarded coworkers minutes

>StackOverSoy
never

>install Anbox
>run Android build of Office instead

Using \linespread{1.6} should be grounds for termination, regardless of whether you work in tech.

>>can play the most advanced Windows games with minimal hit to performance
stop lying

Did you know that office and games are different things?

>emulate

>WI(N)E

Its true though,proton does it easily

> read article
Well, was it written in Word?

lol, stop lying

That's what I've expirienced and what proton reports from users

I mean do you have evidence that Proton doesn't exist?

Proton works perfectly for 90% of steam games, the rest are shit

Lutris installs a 'protonified' version of wine, you can try it yourself without steam

Well, they have had Office software for MacOS for quite a long time and surely those versions must have gotten rid of Windows specific legacy code. Yeah, they don't have the exact same functionality as their Windows counterparts but I guess they could have if Microsoft put in some more effort.

Little did we know it's just running a stripped down build of windows in the background running in a vm

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as FOSS,
is in fact, Free Social Justice Software for Non-violence and Equality, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Social Terrorist Software.
FOSS is not a licence unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning SJW system made useful by the SJW fags, shell
people and vital cucked components comprising a full OS as defined by LGBTQ.

they mean that people use windows because of games, not work. as you have fully featured office suits with libre office, cad with free cad. other 3d stuff with blender. video editing with davince resolve, and many more profissional grade software for being productive. for working. on linux. leaving only games left behind.

Have fun getting to pre 2018 level wine support thanks to EU crippling valve revenue. They will probably drop all their linux adventures and focus on a subscription based model instead.

Microsoft's most popular software doesn't run with WINE since microsoft puts in tricks that prevent software like WINE from running them. There is evidence of this in other software they have developed

>minimal hit
why do linuxbros keep saying this when there's a substantial negative FPS hit on any game
i have to laugh it's just so desperate

I've never gotten a game to work with this shit but I did get Office 2013 to work.
Proton on steam works great for me, though, so maybe I'm just a lucky idiot.

douglas cockford was precursor to this
wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/jsonevil

Can I emulate Scrivener 3 beta?

> I look for old versions of GNU/Linux software

> download source code

> configure make install broke lost depedencies IT NEVER FUCKING WORKS

> find an exe of old software and Wine it

> mfw

Attached: tuxwin.jpg (354x480, 34K)

>minimal hit to performance
I don't have an image to convey the amount of cringe this caused me.

I swear when I read shit like this I want to give up all my morals and just burn the family of the person who wrote this.

> being this underage.

For all of M$ horrible company policies, they know that backward compatibility is something to strive for. They fuck up a lot in that, but they try.

install gentoo

Not him but I'm a professional writer/editor, no one gives a shit if you use word or open office, most people use Google Docs because it's easier to collaborate through, stop acting like you've ever had a job.

About to finish my up college degree and I used Google docs or Google slides for nearly all of my papers/presentations. Whatever group projects I had always used Google slides because of how nice the collaboration feature is.

I have Microsoft office for free from my University and only used it for opening up docx or PowerPoint files because it's more convenient that way compared to opening them up in Google docs.

I don't think most zoomers are going to use Microsoft office anymore unless their using it at their jobs since a lot of them are using school issued Chromebooks now too

>google docs
>slight lag
>botnet
ok zoomer

No, actually, that shit only works with wine. On real windows it never fucking does, and on top of that while you can fix a broken build, you can't fix a broken binary. PS: you could do the same with a self-contained linux binary.

You are right to an extent, M$ will fix compatibility problems, as long they make money out of it.

Attached: g Come with me, to code with God.png (580x580, 271K)

this

>can't play anything with gameguard
>can't play anything with anticheat
>can't play anything with any rootkit
I am sad.

i just got off the phone with hiroshimoot.
he told me we cannot, under any circumstance, use the "n-word" on a blue board like Jow Forums.

PlayOnLinux

What kind of fucked up niggerlicious place doesn’t allow you to submit work in pdf form?

It depends on the game really.
There are even some which run better on wine than on Windows although those are mostly old or CPU heavy games
Most GPU heavy games run like dogshit on wine but you have to be a mouthbreathing retard to like triple a games anyways

Why use MS Office?

>brilliant minds of the foss community

fucking dilate and die

My professors demand our assignments to be delivered in pdf, actually.

Could you explain why you feel this way?.

One of the key decisions Microsoft makes is to keep Office incompatible. They purposefully design their suite to not work with other ones, and that's why likes of LibreOffice have trouble opening documents from M$ Office. They also put a pretty restrictive license on fonts they provide, which breaks things for everyone else.

I assume their software is tied pretty closely to their kernel simply to avoid letting it work via compatibility layers.